PDA

View Full Version : National League Teams?

soxpride724
04-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Just wondering if any of you guys have a favorite National League team? Kinda like the N.F.L, I love the bears but I also have an A.F.C favorite. Mine for M.L.B is the Nationals, just cause I know I'm gonna end up living there eventually....:(:

PKalltheway
04-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Reds are my NL favorite.

TDog
04-05-2008, 07:12 PM
I don't care about any teams whatsoever in the NFL, but having lived where my closest baseball was played in the National League, I like the Brewers, Padres and Diamondbacks. I never developed the same affection for the Mariners when I lived up the coast from Seattle in Alaska because they play in the American League.

I guess it goes back to the abuse I took from Cubs fans growing up in Munster. Any team that can beat the Cubs is worth cheering for, I guess. These days, in NoCal, I like the Giants a little bit, but I continue in my fourth decade of loathing the Oakland A's.

BadBobbyJenks
04-05-2008, 07:16 PM
When I was a kid I always liked the braves and became a huge Chipper Jones fan. I still follow and root for them today as my 2nd team.

DSpivack
04-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Not really sure. Growing up, my dad lived in Springfield, so I grew to like the Cardinals as we went to a few games every summer.

Then I went to school in Atlanta and lived down there a year afterwords, caught some Braves games and didn't mind them.

My sister lives in Denver, so have to a few Rockies games.

Now I'm in DC and will catch some Nationals games.

But don't have a consistent '2nd team' to the Sox.

captainclutch24
04-05-2008, 07:51 PM
San Diego Padres

http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif

South Side Irish
04-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Cardinals, hands down... they're my co-number 1. 2004-06 was a great time!:gulp:

whitesoxwilkes
04-05-2008, 08:11 PM
The Dodgers and Nationals.

ws05champs
04-05-2008, 08:16 PM
My favorite National League team would be whoever is playing the Cubs. So today that would be Houston.

WSox597
04-05-2008, 08:27 PM
My favorite National League team would be whoever is playing the Cubs. So today that would be Houston.

Exactly, like the old White Sox song has it. "two favorite teams, the Go Go White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs"

Actually, if I had to pick, it would be St. Louis. I'd certainly root for them before I'd ever root for the Cubs.

fusillirob1983
04-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Braves - from the early days of Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz

Dave Justice, Terry Pendleton, the Crime Dog, Ron Gant, Jeff Blauser, etc.

Southsider101
04-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Milwaukee Brewers.

For many Sox fans, this is their second team. If these guys are as good as their pre-season billing, they should give the Cubs a good spanking this season.

Dub25
04-05-2008, 08:46 PM
St. Louis Cardinals. :gulp:

DSpivack
04-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Milwaukee Brewers.

For many Sox fans, this is their second team. If these guys are as good as their pre-season billing, they should give the Cubs a good spanking this season.

I remember growing up and hating the Brewers (Phil Garner certainly didn't hurt that), for a couple years in the mid-90s it was a pretty good rivalry before they got moved to the NL.

CHISOXFAN13
04-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Milwaukee Brewers.

I love going to games at Miller Park.

Southsider101
04-05-2008, 08:58 PM
I remember growing up and hating the Brewers (Phil Garner certainly didn't hurt that), for a couple years in the mid-90s it was a pretty good rivalry before they got moved to the NL.

Didn't Scrapiron Garner challenge Hawk to a fistfight? Or did I get things reversed?

goofymsfan
04-05-2008, 09:37 PM
I'd have to say the Padres and Rockies. Brewers are up there as well.

TDog
04-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Milwaukee Brewers.

When the Brewers were in the American League, they were one of the most hated teams for most Sox fans and vice versa. My boss in Waukesha told me that he went to a Sox-Brewers game where the beer sales in Milwaukee had to be cut off after the second inning because of agitation in the seats. I went to Sox games in Milwaukee during interleague play, and the atmosphere was much more relaxed, probably because Cubs hatred brings people together.

I'm not a great fan of Miller Park, but I would love to see the Brewers go wire to wire in the National League this year.

Southsider101
04-05-2008, 10:03 PM
When the Brewers were in the American League, they were one of the most hated teams for most Sox fans and vice versa. My boss in Waukesha told me that he went to a Sox-Brewers game where the beer sales in Milwaukee had to be cut off after the second inning because of agitation in the seats. I went to Sox games in Milwaukee during interleague play, and the atmosphere was much more relaxed, probably because Cubs hatred brings people together.

I'm not a great fan of Miller Park, but I would love to see the Brewers go wire to wire in the National League this year.

Any Sox-Brewers game from the late 70's thru the mid 1980's was indeed a true EVENT. Beer sales cut off in the second inning? I believe it at one of those County Stadium drunkfests of the time. The games at Sox Park wern't any better. I remember sitting in the old box seats next to the Brewer dugout and getting "the finger" from Sixto Lescano who was in the on-deck circle at he time after my buddy made some offensive remarks about Sixto's high nunber of strike outs.

No love lose between those two teams. Ah! the good old days!

chisoxfanatic
04-05-2008, 10:04 PM
I don't have a 2nd favorite NFL team, and I don't watch much basketball. The only sport that I really care about beyond my own team is hockey (I've watched games for every team in the NHL at least 5 times this season on Center Ice); but, I guess if I had to pick a 2nd team in MLB, it would be St. Louis.

04-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Padres.

whitesoxfan1986
04-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Dodgers and Brewers. I like the Brewers because they give the Cubs fits, and I like the Dodgers because my dad is Sox/Dodgers, and he raised me that way.

South Side Irish
04-05-2008, 10:15 PM

Was the 'hate' baseball related, or typical Chicago vs. Smaller Neighboring cities stuff? I've noticed a lot of it living in NW IN/SW MI, and noticed just a bit of it when my dad lived in Madison. Just curious...

SoxNation05
04-05-2008, 10:24 PM
I like a lot of NL teams. Atlanta, Brew Cred and St. Louis are my top 3 though.

AZChiSoxFan
04-05-2008, 10:42 PM
The Dodgers would be my NL favorite.

Same for me.

Just today, I totally lucked into someone giving me two seats behind home plate ($215 face value for each ticket) for one of the Dodgers vs. Dbacks games early next week. :gulp:

Max Power
04-05-2008, 11:18 PM
I liked the Marlins when they entered the league because I thought they had a nice logo/uniforms (I even bought a hat), and then they beat the Indians in '97 so that cemented them as my favorite NL team ('03 didn't hurt either). I also like the Rockies (I lived in Colorado pre-Rockies) and Brewers (I like going up to Miller Park).

manders_01
04-06-2008, 01:44 AM
I think most of you are aware of my Rockies love. :D:

And my AFC team is the Dolphins.

IlliniSox4Life
04-06-2008, 03:27 AM
Exactly, like the old White Sox song has it. "two favorite teams, the Go Go White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs"

Actually, if I had to pick, it would be St. Louis. I'd certainly root for them before I'd ever root for the Cubs.

That's actually the "South Side Irish" song. But most SSI are White Sox fans, so there's a pretty big crossover.

My favorite teams tend to be "whoever is playing the Cubs", and whatever sort of up and coming underdog teams are around. Right now I like the Brewers, Diamondbacks, Rockies, and Dodgers, probably in that order. I'll root for whoever is playing good baseball and stressing the fundamentals at that time though. I'm not even that against rooting for the Cubs too. Most of the time I wont, but if they are playing an AL team or they are actually playing pretty good ball that is exciting to watch, I'll root for them (until the playoffs start).

Jurr
04-06-2008, 03:59 AM
Wave that jolly Roger.
Let's go Buccos.
Hell, I figure I live here now, I might as well root 'em on. Their interests will not be mixing with Palehose interests in the FORESEEABLE future.

LITTLE NELL
04-06-2008, 04:54 AM
Since I live in Florida I pull for the Marlins, attended the last 2 games of the 97 World Series,it was exciting but nothing compared to our 05 White Sox. As a kid In Chicago I really like the Milwaukee Braves , great teams in 57, 58, and in 59 they lost a 1 game playoff to the Dodgers. Everybody wanted a White Sox-Braves WS.

pcp1960
04-06-2008, 06:38 AM
My second favorite team is the Dodgers because of Vin Scully. I never get tired of hearing him doing the games. The man has a way with words.

soxpride724
04-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Great replys so far! I guess I would also have to add the Cards and the Brew crew, just because nothing pisses off a cubs fan more than a sox fan who likes st louie and Milwaukee, and I live in the middle of Cubbie country here in Naperville:angry:

MarySwiss
04-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Oh, gosh! Let me think.

D'Backs, maybe? :smile:

PalehosePlanet
04-06-2008, 02:39 PM
The Dodgers would also be my pick. My brother has lived in LA for 30 years and I like going to Dodger stadium. All of my family in the LA area like the Sox as their AL team.

I also respect the Dodger organization (Branch Rickey in particular for the Jackie Robinson signing) for always being pioneers: Fernando-mania, the Hideo Nomo signing, Chan Ho Park, etc...

I don't mind the Cards and Brewers either.

Scottiehaswheels
04-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Wave that jolly Roger.
Let's go Buccos.
Hell, I figure I live here now, I might as well root 'em on. Their interests will not be mixing with Palehose interests in the FORESEEABLE future.Except for 3 games in interleague for again.. The FORESEEABLE future.... :scratch:

WhiteSox5187
04-06-2008, 03:07 PM
I like the Brewers (cuz I can go up and see their games) and the Mets (because when I lived in New York all of my friends were Mets fans and they turned me on the idea of the Mets being New York's "second team.")

JGarlandrules20
04-06-2008, 03:09 PM
I like the Rockies. I'll also pull for the Pirates and Dbacks.

russ99
04-06-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm a big Astros fan since the early 80s with Nolan Ryan & Jose Cruz.

Still, in '05 I had to cheer for the Sox, much to the chagrin of my idiot Red Sox-fan brother... I've been a Sox fan much longer.

gogosox16
04-06-2008, 03:24 PM
I have always been a big D-Backs fan and I love the potential of their team....I can't wait until Justin Upton gets a year or 2 under his belt, cause he will be amazing. And he's only 20, which is amazing

Viva Medias B's
04-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Redbirds with a nod to the Brew Crew.

HomeFish
04-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Brewers and Marlins. Seeing the Rockies do well also pleases me.

NDSox12
04-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Definitely the Nationals for me since I'm a partial season ticket holder. The Cardinals and Brewers are right up there too.

Parrothead
04-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Why not make it a poll? Mine would be the Pirates. Yes, because of the '79 Pirates with the "jail type hat" and the "we are family" world series.

ComiskeyBrewer
04-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Since i'm a Brewers season ticket holder, you can guess my team.

soltrain21
04-06-2008, 05:27 PM
I adopted the Marlins when they came into the league. What year was that? 1993? I was nine at the time. I still have a Florida Marlins pillowcase that I drunkenly wore as a cape and ran through my dorm hallways with in 2003.

y2j2785
04-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Atlanta Braves :bandance:

goon
04-06-2008, 06:22 PM
It's strange... my dad is a traditional baseball because he'll always cheer for AL teams, especially in the world series. He told me a story about when he worked at a bartender at his Uncle's tavern in North Chicago, Illinois, which was a Sox bar, however, if the Sox weren't in it, they'd always root for the AL squads... once a fight broke out because some guy came in and was rooting for the Reds during the World Series in '75.

Anyway, I kind of can't go along with this thinking. Growing up I always had a soft spot for the Mariners when JR. played for them, but beyond them, I dislike most AL teams. The Indians, Twins, Tigers, Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Athletics, Rangers, meh, I don't like any of them. The O's are alright, I like some Devil Rays players, but maybe that's because they are so bad I can't help cheer for the underdog.

On the other hand, I like quite a few NL teams. Milwaukee (even though they used to be in the AL), Nationals, Astros, Reds, Padres, Braves, Phillies are fun teams to watch.

itsnotrequired
04-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Brewers

Jjav829
04-06-2008, 06:37 PM
I'd have to go with the Padres.

BTFU
04-06-2008, 06:39 PM
whoever is playing the cubs....

Don't have a NL team, I have players I like on lots of teams.

Boondock Saint
04-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Just wondering if any of you guys have a favorite National League team? Kinda like the N.F.L, I love the bears but I also have an A.F.C favorite. Mine for M.L.B is the Nationals, just cause I know I'm gonna end up living there eventually....:(:

I used to be the same way, but then my AFC team beat us in the Super Bowl. Still pissed. So instead of following teams, I love to watch great players (especially young players), and that gives me incentive to watch just about any game.

rdwj
04-06-2008, 07:54 PM
I like the Brewers and Cards.

I want Mags back
04-07-2008, 01:31 AM
D-backs

I have family in Phoenix and Glendale. My cousin used to be a vendor for them
I've taken a liking to the Brewers over the last 3-4 seasons

My best friend here at school and roommate for next year is a Cardinals fan. Im yet to decide whether I will root for or against them (obviously for when playing the Cubs)

SoxandtheCityTee
04-07-2008, 01:38 AM
Phillies.

The Critic
04-07-2008, 01:53 AM
My favorite NL teams in order:

Cardinals
Pirates
Brewers
Diamondbacks
Cubs (sorry, I know it's sacrilege, but as I've mentioned before, my wife and most of my favorite relatives and friends are all Cubs fans, so I watch quite a few Cub games and besides, I save my hate for more important things than baseball.):D:

I want Mags back
04-07-2008, 02:19 AM
why isnt this discussion in talkin baseball, btw

MUsoxfan
04-07-2008, 02:58 AM
Brewers. I'll actually be heading up there very soon for a game. Too bad it wasn't this series to see them whoop the awful Giants.

doublem23
04-07-2008, 08:16 AM
I will hate the entire National League until they give up that bull**** "but the double switch is so strategic" line about why N.L. baseball is better than A.L. baseball.

ChiWavDave
04-07-2008, 08:59 AM
I too gotta go with the Braves, I grew up in Florida in the 80's before the marlins and rays were around so it was the Braves and TBS for me. To this day my childhood hero is Dale Murphy. And its criminal that these steroid freaks of the 90's/00's made his resume for the HoF so inconsequential.

FedEx227
04-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Brewers and D-Backs.

MeteorsSox4367
04-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Pretty much anybody in the NL except the Cubs. And as someone posted, it's not so much the team, it's a good bit of the fanbase. I have friends and relatives who are diehards in that they love the game and their team. That's something for which I have a great deal of respect. It's those who attend games and have no idea what's going on that I don't respect.

That said, my favorite NL teams: Nationals, Pirates, Brewers, Padres, Cardinals.

A.T. Money
04-07-2008, 03:25 PM
I like the Dodgers.

moochpuppy
04-07-2008, 03:32 PM
There really isn't a current National League team that interests me right now. There is another AL team though that I really like the current makeup and where they are headed and that is the Tampa Bay Rays. :o:

Of course my beloved Sox are first and foremost but the Rays are the next team I root for.

jdm2662
04-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Like any sport, I root for my team and don't care for anyone else. So, I have no second favorite team in baseball...

pmck003
04-07-2008, 05:49 PM
I like the Rockies but I always feel a little guilty afterwards.

grv1974
04-07-2008, 08:38 PM
I like the Brewers, but only because I like their navy blue alternate jerseys. Snazzzzy. (I also wish they'd move the Brewers to the A.L. Central and move the Royals to the A.L. West)

doublem23
04-07-2008, 09:02 PM
I like the Brewers, but only because I like their navy blue alternate jerseys. Snazzzzy. (I also wish they'd move the Brewers to the A.L. Central and move the Royals to the A.L. West)

So you want interleague games all year long?

Pass.

turners56
04-07-2008, 09:11 PM
I'd have to say St. Louis or Arizona, either one. Although I'll be rooting for Arizona more this year cause they're actually going to contend.

RockyMtnSoxFan
04-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Rockies for sure. I like the way they're built, with all of the young talent. It's fun to watch Tulo throw the ball across the diamond at 90 mph or see Jimenez throw 98 mph heat and then a nasty curve.

By the way, I was at the game Sunday when Franklin Morales pitched extremely well, and Pods got the start in CF. I thought he played quite well. He made a couple of plays in deep right center that were pretty decent, though he didn't have any really tough plays. Still, he looked better in center than most people had probably expected.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-09-2008, 12:39 PM
San Diego Padres.

It's a city I eventually want to move to and I enjoyed Petco Park when I was there last year. Got to see a Peavy start, Hoffman with a save and funny enough Geoff Blum had hit the go ahead homer in the game.

raven1
04-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Brewers and Reds. Both of their ballparks are far better than anything in Chicago, their ticket prices are lower, and the drive isn't too bad. Plus they're both going to finish ahead of the Cubs this year!

pdimas
04-09-2008, 03:13 PM
I'd have to say Reds. We have some family friends that moved to the Cincinnati area and have gone down there the last couple of years to see a Reds game. I am really starting to like the young arms that they have down there though.

Also a fan of the Skyline Chili Dog that they serve there and the merchandising store that they have attached to the park.

pdimas
04-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Brewers and Reds. Both of their ballparks are far better than anything in Chicago, their ticket prices are lower, and the drive isn't too bad. Plus they're both going to finish ahead of the Cubs this year!

I wouldnt say I like the Reds park better but it definitely doesnt feel as enclosed as the Cell. It feels more open plus you gotta love the views of the river.

WhiteSoxJunkie
04-10-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm starting to like the Phillies. I'm a big fan of Howard, Utley, and Rollins. Plus, they've only won one World Series in their existence, yet their fans don't constantly bitch about it.

doublem23
04-10-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm starting to like the Phillies. I'm a big fan of Howard, Utley, and Rollins. Plus, they've only won one World Series in their existence, yet their fans don't constantly bitch about it.

Yes they do. They just don't have a media megaphone. Philly fans are whiny *******s.

EndemicSox
04-10-2008, 09:31 PM
My grandfather took me to Cubs games, and my dad took me to Old Comiskey. Those games are simply some of the best memories I have of both men, and I still root for both teams. I'll root for any team with Chicago on the uniform...

Outside of Chicago based squads, I spent many summers visiting my aunt and uncle in Denver, and loved watching the Zephrys...I'll silently pull for the Rockies if I catch them on the tube...

Jurr
04-10-2008, 09:45 PM
My grandfather took me to Cubs games, and my dad took me to Old Comiskey. Those games are simply some of the best memories I have of both men, and I still root for both teams. I'll root for any team with Chicago on the uniform...

Outside of Chicago based squads, I spent many summers visiting my aunt and uncle in Denver, and loved watching the Zephrys...I'll silently pull for the Rockies if I catch them on the tube...
:o:

EndemicSox
04-10-2008, 09:46 PM
:o:

:runs away:

My dad would beat me if I didn't cheer for the Sox, and my grandpa wouldn't give me ice-cream if I didn't proclaim Ron Santo the best 3rd baseman ever. I was brainwashed by both, but I'm not complaining! I can say, that my experiences at US Cellular are much more pleasant nowadays than the few times each year I'm given tickets to a game at the dump known as Wrigley.