PDA

View Full Version : What's with the beards?

ebit
04-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Today's game was televised in Milwaukee so this is the first I've seen of Swisher's, Jenks', Hall's etc. dyed beards. I searched and couldn't find anyone addressing the significance. Just a clubhouse unity thing or did these guys lose a bet?

EMachine10
04-05-2008, 05:42 PM
i don't know, but swisher's is ridiculous

Dornado
04-05-2008, 05:43 PM
and why does Bobby Jenks have a crooked beard? Apprently Bobby Jenks doesn't walk past a lot of mirrors.

Not going to lie though, it kind of helps the intimidation factor.

hi im skot
04-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Beards are tuff.

BoysMom3
04-05-2008, 05:47 PM
We're all wondering the same thing here. ThomeFan thinks they have a bet with each other. They're ugly, but I think they're a bit intimidating too. I like that.

goon
04-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Logan's is dyed black I believe. He has really dark hair, but I saw a few closeup's and it is clearly not a natural color, it's dyed black.

Probably just a team unity thing... I guess it's working.

thomas35forever
04-05-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm not a fan of the ugliness they sport, but if they keep 'em and have a great season, fans might pick it up and grow their own, thus creating a new fashion trend on the South Side.

Dan the Man
04-05-2008, 06:02 PM
As long as Sox fans don't bring out the Matt Clement strap-ons to the park, I'm cool with them.

Chicken Dinner
04-05-2008, 06:03 PM
It's cold. :o:

chisoxmike
04-05-2008, 06:04 PM
As long as Sox fans don't bring out the Matt Clement strap-ons to the park, I'm cool with them.

I bet that the Sox PR department is already looking into that.

MEMO TO BROOKS: DON'T DO IT!

LoveYourSuit
04-05-2008, 06:11 PM
I bet that the Sox PR department is already looking into that.

MEMO TO BROOKS: DON'T DO IT!

Sort of like the Long Hair drama in ' 05........... I would take some beard drama if it means this team can duplicate the '05 results this year.

Vernam
04-05-2008, 06:12 PM
If they complete the sweep tomorrow, all bearded Sox fans should show up for the home opener with their whiskers bleached. :thumbsup:

I suppose the good thing about bleaching your beard is that you can shave it right off and start over, as opposed to watching the roots on top of your head turn black. Now that's a bad look . . .

Vernam

Boondock Saint
04-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Chicks dig a man with a beard... :cool:

Jaysox
04-05-2008, 06:21 PM
I got a beard, where's my ticket? I think swisher did it just to joke around with jenks. As for Hall, I think he's always had that going, no?

#1swisher
04-05-2008, 06:32 PM
the white sox have a look-a-like contest...
just grow/bleach your beard and enter to win!!:tongue:

soxinem1
04-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Some of them, like Jenks, makes them look like sheep or that guy who played King Tut in the 'Batman' TV show.

Even so, they can go out there looking like mummies if they pitch and play well.

http://www.waswatching.com/archives/KingTut.jpg

itsnotrequired
04-05-2008, 07:03 PM
"Steve Stoute is the type of guy who just looking at him you assume he could grow a powerful beard."

- Horsemaster Fred

Vernam
04-05-2008, 07:43 PM
http://www.waswatching.com/archives/KingTut.jpg:roflmao:

Vernam

Madscout
04-05-2008, 08:07 PM

It is so bad, I thought it was a bandage or something.

turners56
04-05-2008, 08:10 PM
If the beards symbolize winning, keep them all year long!

While we're on the subject of hair and grooming, why doesn't Maggs shave his weird mullet looking thing he's got? He looks like some Spanish artist from the 1700s...or a homosexual from South America named Raul.

LauraJ14
04-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Chicks dig a man with a beard... :cool:

No they don't - especially Logan's or Jenks!

BoysMom3
04-05-2008, 08:40 PM
^^^ Especially Logan's - ugliest thing ever!!!

Toby Hall's was particulary ugly too. IIRC, yesterday Swisher's was blonde on the top part of the beard and dark on the rest!

thomas35forever
04-05-2008, 08:45 PM
the white sox have a look-a-like contest...
just grow/bleach your beard and enter to win!!:tongue:
That sounds so much like a Veeck-type contest.

soxfanreggie
04-05-2008, 09:16 PM
I was just saying he looks similar to Victro Buono (King Tut in the 60's Batman). Glad others think so too.

dakuda
04-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Damn, I just shaved the face clean today. I think I am gonna keep like this for a month or so, just to throw everyone I know off kilter.

I cannot be part of the cool kids anymore.

Frater Perdurabo
04-05-2008, 10:54 PM

"You can strap it up, your you can strap it down. Just make sure you don't strap it on."

- Darrin Jackson

grv1974
04-06-2008, 12:52 AM
Today's game was televised in Milwaukee so this is the first I've seen of Swisher's, Jenks', Hall's etc. dyed beards. I searched and couldn't find anyone addressing the significance. Just a clubhouse unity thing or did these guys lose a bet?

They're all channeling Maynard G. Krebs.

manders_01
04-06-2008, 01:25 AM

Toby Hall's was particulary ugly too. IIRC, yesterday Swisher's was blonde on the top part of the beard and dark on the rest!

Ditto - Logan's is disgusting. Jenks is slightly better. I haven't seen Swisher's yet.

Regardless, no facial hair should be more that 1/4" off the face. Otherwise, :puking:

grv1974
04-06-2008, 01:42 AM
Regardless, no facial hair should be more that 1/4" off the face. Otherwise, :puking:

Unless, they're a billy-goat.:D:

DrCrawdad
04-06-2008, 08:32 AM
It is so bad, I thought it was a bandage or something.

I thought the same thing.

http://images.inmagine.com/168nwm/imagehit/ih023/ih023036.jpg

tick53
04-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Logan's is dyed black I believe. He has really dark hair, but I saw a few closeup's and it is clearly not a natural color, it's dyed black.

Probably just a team unity thing... I guess it's working.

I think Logan has topped Jeff Bagwell's.

bigfoot
04-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Sooooo..... it's agreed.

No shaving while the Sox keep winning?:o::bandance::bandance::bandance:

Elephant
04-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Breaking news: Swisher is not attractive.

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/7435.jpg

^ he actually managed to top that yesterday

SoxGirl4Life
04-06-2008, 10:27 AM
I saw this thing on Abraham Lincoln last night and they said he grew the beard to "prepare for war". Although I doubt the Sox are imitating Lincoln, I like to think that's why they're growing them-battling out for the central

soltrain21
04-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Breaking news: Swisher is not attractive.

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/7435.jpg

^ he actually managed to top that yesterday

He grows out his hair so he can donate it to a "Locks of Love" like foundation to honor who grandma who died of cancer.

Garland_IS_God
04-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Im waiting for Jim Thome to grow mutton chops!

Elephant
04-06-2008, 11:00 AM
He grows out his hair so he can donate it to a "Locks of Love" like foundation to honor who grandma who died of cancer.

I just got pwned.

goon
04-06-2008, 11:53 AM

Actually, I think that is supposed to be "white", Logan's is dyed black... who's down for silver?

Edit: Remember Sisqo? I don't.

angiew
04-06-2008, 02:16 PM
I think Hall's is the worst....it horrid! Of course, it could just be because I can't stand his fat butt. LOL

Dan Mega
04-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Beards are Chicago Tough. They are just trying to show the "Swagger"

russ99
04-06-2008, 03:01 PM
The guys are having fun. No biggie.

I just think it's hilarious that Swisher's beard changed shape and color to an equally ugly one between Friday and Saturday... :D:

Bobby's starting to look like the guys from ZZ-Top. Either that or the two Guinness Book fat guys on motorcycles.

http://www.geocities.com/tehbrick/fatbikes.jpg

OK, he's not that bad, yet...

angiew
04-06-2008, 08:06 PM
:D:OMG, now Swisher's is totally bleached.....hideous! lmao!

he gone!
04-06-2008, 11:00 PM
chinstrap

manders_01
04-06-2008, 11:34 PM
:D:OMG, now Swisher's is totally bleached.....hideous! lmao!

Actually, out of the three mentioned in this post, his bothers me the least. It comes down to the length. The shortness, however bleached it is, is much better.

voodoochile
04-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Ladies (and gentlemen too) It's not about how they look anymore. From the upside down flying saucer resting on Swish's underjaw to the full grown billy goat specials in all their myriad colors, it's obvious these beards need to stay.

Maybe if they win 10 in a row, Hawk will grow a soul patch...

btrain929
04-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Beards are Chicago Tough. They are just trying to show the "Swagger"

Hahahaha. Yes.

we be jake
04-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Actually, I think that is supposed to be "white", Logan's is dyed black... who's down for silver?

Edit: Remember Sisqo? I don't.

Bright colors ala Rodman or Mudvayne would be cool. Match the hats on special uni days.

bigfoot
04-07-2008, 04:59 AM
Bright colors ala Rodman or Mudvayne would be cool. Match the hats on special uni days.

Ooooh, halfway to.....Green Chin Fur?!?

KRS1
04-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Well, there was some dudes sitting on the first baseline wearing what looked like trimmed down blond extensions taped to their chins today when Bobby came on.

:thud:

mealfred13
04-07-2008, 06:33 PM

See post above.

For the record though, we have something the Cubs fans didn't: A solid team.

Pods4455
04-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Something tells me that this was just a bunch of guys @ spring training who got really really bored and decided to grow out their beards then dye them ridiculous colors lol.

I dated a pro ballplayer (with a different club) for 3 years and the DUMB things these guys did when they were on the road or in spring training just mirrors the beard thing w/ the Sox lol. Once we all got so bored durring spring training that my ex and 4 of his teammates let me and another girlfriend shave their heads. Another year durring the season we went to wal-mart and got that wash-out non-permanent hair dye and dyed their hair to match their uniforms. It obviously had to be washed out before the game started, haha.

I'm just saying - it wouldnt suprise me @ all if this was just a result of being REALLY BORED...:tongue:

skottyj242
04-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Swisher was on Mike North yesterday and said something to the fact that it's a unity thing.

the gooch
04-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Ooooh, halfway to.....Green Chin Fur?!?good time for a chia pet endorsement.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Ladies (and gentlemen too) It's not about how they look anymore. From the upside down flying saucer resting on Swish's underjaw to the full grown billy goat specials in all their myriad colors, it's obvious these beards need to stay.

If they win 15 out of 20, they could grow man sweaters and carve out the Sox logo on their chests, and I wouldn't care. Just keep winning and playing hard.

eriqjaffe
04-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Well, there was some dudes sitting on the first baseline wearing what looked like trimmed down blond extensions taped to their chins today when Bobby came on.

:thud:They were showing a bunch of people with those on the scoreboard, too.

soxinem1
04-08-2008, 04:33 PM

That's nowhere near as bad as the guy in front of me wearing his old 'ORDONEZ' jersey with 'SWISHER' written on silver duct tape over Magg's name!

soxstarter
04-09-2008, 05:35 AM
Okay, I am definitely not a fan of the beards (btw, A.J. looks like he is starting one too). But hell, with this kind playing.....I can overlook the beards. DumpJer is threatening to grow one.....which I would have no problem with.....as long as he can pitch like Bobby Jenks.

Myrtle72
04-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Swisher has a website and a journal thing that he writes in... (aww) and he mentions the beards:

Okay…let’s cut to the chase…I’m sporting a blonde goatee…don’t worry folks…. it’s temporary. You know, it’s not easy to bleach dark brown/black hair to blonde without turning that orange color…how do you ladies do it?

See, it started with Toby Hall and Bobby Jenks, now it’s my turn…but I just did my goatee and no, I’m not doing my head…no way. We did it for fun but I’m always doing something with my hair. Remember last year, when I grew my hair for nearly a year so it would be long enough to donate to the Pantene Beautiful Lengths program? My hair was made into a real hair wig for a woman dealing with hair loss from cancer treatments. It took only a few minutes for my father to chop it off in front of the crowd at the Oakland Coliseum, but that feeling of knowing I helped someone else in need, will last my lifetime.

from www.nickswisher.net (http://www.nickswisher.net)

MsSoxVixen22
04-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Some of the beards are crazy looking but I'm thinking, it might be a "team unity" type of thing. I always thought growing a beard was something only pitchers did. Maybe one day in the clubhouse, they all decided let's grow beards? Who knows, if all the guys shave off their beards, they might start playing like crap!

btrain929
04-09-2008, 10:51 AM

I hope the Cell isn't selling those, because that looks nothing like anybodies beard on the team. If they actually sold some that looked like Jenks' and Logan's, it might actually be a good marketing/merchandise idea.

manders_01
04-09-2008, 07:50 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080409&content_id=2508654&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

According to this, Uribe and Ozuna are next.

jongarlandlover
04-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Ugh, the beards are atrocious! When I saw Jenks I went into a bit of a shock.

But if it's for team unity...I guess I'll just have to put up with it.

Frontman
04-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Let them have fun. If the fans and the team are having fun; what's the harm?

Dan Berstein over at WSCR has been on a mad-tear against them; to the point of pretty much an hour the other day was nothing but a rant against the beards, and the fans who think they are cool. The subject came up again, the ranted again on it. Today, I'll put money on him going "See, see? They don't make them play any better!!!"

I don't care if Jenks dyes his beard pink and wears a tutu on the mound, he just needs to get outs.

Here is what I've written elsewhere about Bernsie's rant:

Ok, let me get this straight:

Bernsie, is upset about the player's (and the fans of said players) facial hair, that its stupid and doesn't add to the game?

He does understand the nature of sportstalk radio and sports itself is stupid and doesn't add to much value???

Bear with me here for a moment.

We pay money and spend time watching and cheering for our team (Sox, Cubs, Bears, Bulls, etc.) which is a collection of grown men playing a game that most 6 year olds can play. Granted, the adults can play it better than most 6 year olds (except for Juan Uribe, who will swing at 56 foot curve balls, but I digress.)

But as adult fans, we buy our team's colors, wear their hats, spend our time watching. We have 24 hours of radio dedicated to it, we have national networks dedicated to it. We can't get enough of it. Some of us have so much fun we paint our faces and sit out with no shirts in 20 below weather. We name our dog's (not to mention our kids) "Ozzie" and "Ernie." We propose to our girfriends at ballparks, plan our vacactions around tournaments, and some have even go so far as to induce labor so our children can be born so we don't miss the playoff coverage.

But being a sports fan itself doesn't provide us with anything that we MUST have for survival. Blonde beards, pinstripe jerseys, eating churros, singing "take me out to the ballgame", whatever we do as fans; it doesn't add to our chances of survival, which is how serious Bernsie is coming across with his rant. That his is just plain stupid and moronic to do.

So why do we watch?

Simply put, its entertainment. Coming here, flipping on the radio, tuning into ESPN, buying season tickets or even a single game a season; its all done for the entertainment value.

If fans get rowdy and enjoy Nick Swisher having a blonde beard (by cracky) let them. Its harmless fun. Bernsie can be intelligent in his commentary, but when he rails against fans like this he just looks like a moron. Has he listened to how stupid his own show can get?

What drives me nuts when Bernsie gets like this is the fact that he wouldn't hold up under his own sense of scrutiny. His show is harmless fun. Sure, it can be informative, but there is a lot that goes into any radio show that is frivilous fun.

How does "Who you crappin?" or "Friday Fung" make the listener any more informed? How does making fun of stupid callers make the listener any more informed? What does "take this job and shove it" being played add to the conversation about the Sox/Bears/Bulls/Cubs/Blackhawks/Fire/Rush?

From my point of view, it doesn't; besides entertain.

For a guy who works at a station that employs the following:

A former Hot Dog vendor
A proud 'Bleacher Bum'
Two Sportswriters who might be out of jobs soon
A former Sportswriter
and even a producer who is nicknamed "Drinky"

You'd think he would be a little slower to condemn those who are just having fun. Sportstalk is meant to be fun. Sports is meant to be fun. Swish having a blonde beard is fun to him; and its fun to the fans.

If Bersnie was so straightlaced and "no nonsense" he would never take a phonecall from 'Hawk's Eyepatch" or "Maddux Boy" or "Napolean Dynomite" again. (Three guys who are favorite callers on B&B.) They wouldn't do "Who you crappin?" because the idea of it is to have fun.

Simply put, Bernsie; just let them have fun.