PDA

View Full Version : Team TV PBP announcers being able to broadcast national tv PBP

captainclutch24
04-05-2008, 03:30 PM
I am watching the Padres Dodgers game on fox right now and the Padres regular season broadcaster on channel 4 san diego Matt Vasgersian is doing the play by play for the game.

He is not being biased at all as he didn't get overly excited when the Padres scored 4 runs and batted around in the first. Is it usual that a teams play by play announcer is allowed to do national tv play by play? I know Matt does football for Fox and occasionally does other baseball games for fox, but being able to broadcast the team he announces for national tv games. I cannot imagine seeing the hawk on fox doing play by play for a Sox Tigers game.

*Sorry that the title is so long and unclear but I could not think of anything better

Sockinchisox
04-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Yes, Vasgersian does work for Fox, one of the Rangers announcers does work for Fox, Jose Mota who is doing our game today does PBP sometimes for the Angels etc.

anewman35
04-05-2008, 04:52 PM
DJ used to do some Fox games a few years ago. And people like Joe Buck and Jon Miller are (or have been) national broadcasters and local broadcasters at the same time. And if we include radio, for years John Rooney did the Sunday game of the week, I'm sure that sometimes included White Sox games...

harwar
04-06-2008, 05:02 AM
I saw Hawk do a fox national game some years back and he did ok except when he pulled out the "You know,Big Frank out there is like a man playin with boys".
That remark didn't go over to well with his partner that day(who's name escapes me).
Fox went through a period when the local PBP guy,from whatever city they were in,would sit in that day.
Also,Matt Vasgersian was the tv PBP guy for a time with the Brewers and that guy was just hilarious.

Lip Man 1
04-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't think Hawk ever worked for Fox, he did work however in 1994 for MLB's ill fated "The Baseball Network," which actually took over the production and airing of the Game of the Week and sold it to NBC.

Lip

pierzynski07
04-06-2008, 09:20 PM
DJ did the infamous AJ/Barrett game because then-analyst Lou Pinella became ill that week.

As for Matt, FOX had three games to broadcast, one of them was in San Diego, and Matt is one of their three broadcasters. It just makes perfect sense to have the one who's already in town call the game as opposed to flying someone in, and flying him out.

I want Mags back
04-07-2008, 01:24 AM
Eddie Olcyck did the Hawks game for NBC yesterday.