PDA

View Full Version : Baserunning question

Madscout
04-04-2008, 01:43 PM
I was always taught in little league that you trust your basecoaches and just worry about running on the bases.

JD just hit a double to the wall with PK on first. PK was looking at the ball the entire way. What is the general idea about this in the MLB? I would have gotten yelled at for doing that.

TDog
04-04-2008, 03:24 PM
I was always taught in little league that you trust your basecoaches and just worry about running on the bases.

JD just hit a double to the wall with PK on first. PK was looking at the ball the entire way. What is the general idea about this in the MLB? I would have gotten yelled at for doing that.

You listen to the first base coach, if he is screaming at you and pick up the third base coach after rounding second.

Madscout
04-04-2008, 03:40 PM
You listen to the first base coach, if he is screaming at you and pick up the third base coach after rounding second.

That's what I'm on about, he was looking at the ball on the way from 2nd to 3rd. What happens if the ball is bobbled, if he keeps focused on third, gets their faster and has a shot at home. If there is a play, he has a better chance of being safe.

IlliniSox4Life
04-04-2008, 03:50 PM
I didn't see the play in question, and I'm hardly a pro baseball player, but I imagine that Paulie probably wasn't doing the technically right thing to do, but he is a grown man not a little leaguer. One of the reasons you tell kids to do that is so they get into a habit of doing it. Paulie probably should have been looking at his coach all the way, but he is a pro and I imagine he has a good idea when he needs to and when he doesn't.

TDog
04-04-2008, 03:57 PM
In Konerko's case, he isn't going to challenge a lot of outfielders to throw him out. He probably doesn't want to. If Jeff Cox is waving him in and he doesn't believe he can make it, he isn't going to try to score.

I didn't see the play, but it could be a combination of things,: i.e. Konerko not wanting to try to score, knowing that watching the ball isn't going to affect him getting safely into third, not yet trusting his new third base coach implicitly.

btrain929
04-05-2008, 08:55 AM
With a ball hit to left field, and someone rounding 2nd going to 3rd, you have the play right in front of you, so it's not that difficult to still run at top speed and keep an eye on the ball/LF'er. You see a lot of times where the 3b coach gives the runner the hold sign, the fielder bobbles it, he tries to wave the runner in, etc and its just a lot of stopping and going on the runner.

Now if the ball was hit into left-center/damn near center field, and Konerko was looking over his shoulder as he was going to 3rd, then that's an obvious no-no. But with a ball in LF-left center, you get a great view of the play when rounding 2, how the fielder goes at it and/or if he'll bobble it, I have no problem with doing that.

Just like a ball hit to CF and your going from 1st to 2nd. You have the play in front of you, and don't need to look at your 3rd base coach. You can decide if you can get to 3 or not.

Porcho
04-05-2008, 10:37 AM

Almost got it right......you pick up the third base coach before you hit second. That's how you know to hold up or continue running full speed.

oeo
04-05-2008, 11:00 AM
That's what I'm on about, he was looking at the ball on the way from 2nd to 3rd. What happens if the ball is bobbled, if he keeps focused on third, gets their faster and has a shot at home. If there is a play, he has a better chance of being safe.

Unfortunately, that's probably about top speed for Paulie. He runs so slow he can pay attention to everything around him.