PDA

View Full Version : Disgusting performance tonight

MattSharp
04-27-2002, 01:42 AM
I guess you can't fault Rauch. He only gave up what, 1 ER? But 4 BBs and only 1 K was a letdown. No shock that Parque "Cheeze Spread" tossed up two dingers, he sucks. Jose struck out 3 times and these guys made Lidle look like this teams ace.

All in all Rauch wasn't too bad, but this is the kind of game the Sox could expect in the playoffs and JM proved he isn't the worlds greatest manager yet again......

Nellie_Fox
04-27-2002, 01:48 AM
Take a deep breath Matt. It's baseball. Even the best teams lose nearly a third of their games.

FarWestChicago
04-27-2002, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
It's baseball. Even the best teams lose nearly a third of their games. This is true, Nellie. But, tonight was the first time I witnessed a forfeit. And that really was annoying. All the A's fans laughing at me and Ode about Batting Practice pitching wasn't really that bad. It was just seeing Jerry throw in the towel that bugged me. Geez, at least wait until somebody is bleeding or knocked half silly first. :(:

Nellie_Fox
04-27-2002, 03:15 AM
Well, I saw none, and heard little, of tonight's game. I just hate to see everyone getting all wrapped around the axle about every loss. People get too cranked up about losses, given the reality of baseball.

Since I didn't see the game, I don't know what "throwing in the towel" you are referring to. I got my RealPlayer cranked up in time to hear Frank strike out and Maggs ground out with the bases loaded. It seems if either of them had come through, everyone would be celebrating tonight.

FarWestChicago
04-27-2002, 03:21 AM
Well, I saw none, and heard little, of tonight's game. I just hate to see everyone getting all wrapped around the axle about every loss. People get too cranked up about losses, given the reality of baseball.

Since I didn't see the game, I don't know what "throwing in the towel" you are referring to. I got my RealPlayer cranked up in time to hear Frank strike out and Maggs ground out with the bases loaded. It seems if either of them had come through, everyone would be celebrating tonight. Nellie, I don't think I am one of those who gets too wound up about a loss. I generally don't give up until mathematical elimination. "Throwing in the towel" refers to brining in a pitcher in a tie game who had a virtually infinite ERA in the minor leagues. What desirable outcome can you really expect?

RedPinStripes
04-27-2002, 03:22 AM

Since I didn't see the game, I don't know what "throwing in the towel" you are referring to. I got my RealPlayer cranked up in time to hear Frank strike out and Maggs ground out with the bases loaded. It seems if either of them had come through, everyone would be celebrating tonight.

The loss don't upset me. Butter coming in does. Didn't take long to see that he can't get anyone out and he loves giving up that long ball.

voodoochile
04-27-2002, 10:17 AM

Thanks, Nellie, I couldn't agree more. I am disappointed in JM for putting in Parque, but tonight the Sox just didn't get it done. In your first post you mention the 8th where Frank K's and Maggs grounds out weakly with the bases loaded. The first out in that inning was a screaming liner down the 3rd base line off of Lofton's bat with men on 1st and second. It was 6 inches off the ground when and headed for the corner when the 3rd baseman grabbed it. Just wasn't our night. It was a mistake to put Parque in, but the team had their chances thereafter and just couldn't get it done...

PaleHoseGeorge
04-27-2002, 10:45 AM
This was Parque's first appearance of 2002. He hasn't pitched in the bigs since last April. I don't think anyone can guess what his pitching ability would be against major league hitters. If it was strictly a matter of "good stuff", Garland would be a 20 game winner.

So Manuel tries Parque in Sean Lowe's old role as long relief ace. The lefty failed miserably. Next time out, maybe Manuel gives Parque Porzio's role as mop-up man. Lord knows that guy is expendable.

One thing is sure. Jim Parque doesn't have any room to talk now that he is back with the team and has gotten shelled. That is definitely a plus.

I don't think Jon Rauch is fretting as much about losing his rotation spot either. That's a positive, too.