PDA

View Full Version : SI article on the Young Dodgers Gets Credit to Dan Evans

SoxFan64
04-04-2008, 01:10 AM
I was reading the hard copy of the most recent SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/04/01/torre0407/)and I came across the article about the young Dodgers that are being compared to the young Yankees of the mid-1990's: Jeter, Posada, Pettitte and Riveria.

They also mentioned the role that Dan Evans did as the Dodgers GM from October 2001 to February 2004. Now I know that if they are quoting Evans heavily (and they do) that Evans is getting great PR and he is probably helping to fan the flames.

Still the fact the Evans was able to be the head of the team when they drafted most of the new young studs and here we are looking at next to nothing in our farm system you have to wonder what might have been.

Maybe this post should be a part of the one where Stone is talking about minor league development. But those of you who follow the Sox closer more than I do, what was the story with Evans not getting the job over Williams (although I like the result in 2005).

And more importantly where is this organization going if we can't seem to develop anybody.

FedEx227
04-04-2008, 01:15 AM
Once they can get rid of the old farts like Pierre, Kent and Nomar watch out.

Kemp, Loney, DeWitt, Kershaw, LaRoche... GOOD.

steely712
04-04-2008, 03:27 AM
This no doubt the best way to bring about a winning ballclub for the future, but you need to put the time into developing these players, which we have been proving over the years that we are not to good at doing. But, with this in mind, you will have to put up with some losing seasons waiting for these guys to develop, which Kenny does not really seem to want to do. I like the way it's done, and I think that we do still have some good young talent that can be developed for the future (Quentin, Ramirez, Danks, Floyd, Richar, Broadway, Fields, and we have Swisher for the long term) I think that we will have a couple of down years while these guys develop, but we will be in good shape in the coming years.

DSpivack
04-04-2008, 07:02 AM

They certainly have a lot of young talent, but so do Colorado and Arizona.

jabrch
04-04-2008, 07:28 AM
I thought Paul Depodesta desevers all the credit. He was so good... He revolutionized talent evaluation with his calculator.

Iwritecode
04-04-2008, 09:52 AM
This no doubt the best way to bring about a winning ballclub for the future, but you need to put the time into developing these players, which we have been proving over the years that we are not to good at doing. But, with this in mind, you will have to put up with some losing seasons waiting for these guys to develop, which Kenny does not really seem to want to do.

That's basically it. It's not that they can't do it, (well maybe they can't) but it's that they don't WANT to.

They've spent all this time building up the fanbase and it would be destroyed if they went into a complete re-building mode. So instead we have this "go for it all now while still building for the future" thing going on...

FedEx227
04-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Despite the fact that we are in no way building for the future considering we don't have any decent 1B, SS or OF prospects.

jabrch
04-04-2008, 10:45 AM
But, with this in mind, you will have to put up with some losing seasons waiting for these guys to develop, which Kenny does not really seem to want to do.

It isn't just Kenny. Our fans have proven little patience for losing seasons also. They have no patience on WSI for losing seasons and even less patience at the gate. If Williams were to run this thing into the ground, and try and rebuild, it would take forever to get fans back into the park, short of winning a World Series.

That's the sad truth. Our fans are fairweather fans. They won't support the team if it isn't good. That's not a bad thing. We can crticize Cubs fans for coming out and supporting a crappy product for years - but that how they are. I think we need some balance. Our fans need to be more willing to be leniant to a bad season or two or three, but not to the point where they accept a bad two or three decades.

voodoochile
04-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Despite the fact that we are in no way building for the future considering we don't have any decent 1B, SS or OF prospects.

I assume you mean prospect in the traditional sense of the word - someone who hasn't had much time in the majors other than September callups.

Doesn't Quentin count? Ramirez? Heck, Owens and Richar and Swisher are all young.

For what it's worth, the Sox could have 6 position players under 28 starting next year. Expecting Thome to leave and Dye to move to DH leaves the Sox plenty of spending money too.

At some point in time you have to say, "no pure prospects on the horizon because we are getting ready to play every single top young kid we have and they all look like they can contribute".

Of course, again, they aren't "prospects" but isn't that just semantics?

WizardsofOzzie
04-04-2008, 11:00 AM

And they have this crazy notion that even if a guy is getting paid 10 million per year, he rides the pine if a young guy outperforms him.

FedEx227
04-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I assume you mean prospect in the traditional sense of the word - someone who hasn't had much time in the majors other than September callups.

Doesn't Quentin count? Ramirez? Heck, Owens and Richar and Swisher are all young.

For what it's worth, the Sox could have 6 position players under 28 starting next year. Expecting Thome to leave and Dye to move to DH leaves the Sox plenty of spending money too.

At some point in time you have to say, "no pure prospects on the horizon because we are getting ready to play every single top young kid we have and they all look like they can contribute".

Of course, again, they aren't "prospects" but isn't that just semantics?

True. I'm kinda putting it in the sense of small major league time, 25 and younger type guys. Obviously that is something that's great that we are getting guys that way younger 27-29 year olds through trades and free agency and whatnot... but you cannot sustain financially a team using that method, there comes a time when you need great contributions from your $300,000 men.

ksimpson14
04-04-2008, 11:42 AM
It isn't just Kenny. Our fans have proven little patience for losing seasons also. They have no patience on WSI for losing seasons and even less patience at the gate. If Williams were to run this thing into the ground, and try and rebuild, it would take forever to get fans back into the park, short of winning a World Series.

That's the sad truth. Our fans are fairweather fans. They won't support the team if it isn't good. That's not a bad thing. We can crticize Cubs fans for coming out and supporting a crappy product for years - but that how they are. I think we need some balance. Our fans need to be more willing to be leniant to a bad season or two or three, but not to the point where they accept a bad two or three decades.

I really hope you don't think that WSI is any different than any sports message board for any team out there.

One viewpoint is if people don't think you can contend, you're not going to win anyways, so you might as well go ahead and rebuild, and the young guys may put together a nice season anyways. When you're in this in between mode we're in, you can get screwed, and you really have to hope a lot of guys step up and that you can surprise some people

oeo
04-04-2008, 11:44 AM

In the low minors we do...

PatK
04-04-2008, 12:29 PM

That's 100% correct.

Remeber how empty the park was the last attempt to rebuild. People got pissed at the Sox and their "Kids Can Play" campaign and didn't go.

SoxFan64
04-04-2008, 04:09 PM
I guess in starting this thread I was wondering more look at the people the Dodgers have in their system. They were scouted, signed, and developed by former Sox Assist. GM Dan Evans.

We bump Kenny over Evans and win the WS. Great. That's the point.

But compare who we have scouted, signed, and developed in the years 2001-to date with the Dodgers and we look like we could find a prospect if we tried.

I like the Kenny trades. But still we let someone go who obviously can handle player development. I am not so sure that we can.

Heck, they threw out the former chief scout (I forget his name) and blamed him for not finding players. Didn't Kenny come player development? Why can't he find the same players that Evans can?