PDA

View Full Version : Double No -No

Lip Man 1
04-03-2008, 10:51 PM
The "double no-hitter" that Danks and Westbrook were throwing at each other for the first, what four or five innings this afternoon, may have been the longest that's happened involving the Sox since July 1, 1990.

I'm sure many of you remember THAT afternoon! On the 80th anniversary of the opening of the original Comiskey Park. Andy Hawkins of the Yankees and Greg Hibbard of the Sox got involved in a double no-no.

Hibbard was perfect for the first 5 1/3rd innings before Bob Geren got an infield single. Hawkins eventually pitched a no hitter on that afternoon but LOST the game 4-0. In the 8th inning the Sox scored all their runs with two out when Jim Leyritz and Jesse Barfield dropped consecutive fly balls!

To this day that was one of the strangest games ever played in Sox history.

Lip

fquaye149
04-03-2008, 10:52 PM
shades of hippo vaughn

nedlug
04-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Didn't JG and Johan pitch 1-hitters a couple years back, where Torii hit a homer and the Twins won 1-0? I don't remember when the first hit was, so it may have not been a dueling no-hitter game for very long...

DumpJerry
04-03-2008, 11:02 PM
The "double no-hitter" that Danks and Westbrook were throwing at each other for the first, what four or five innings this afternoon, may have been the longest that's happened involving the Sox since July 1, 1990.

I'm sure many of you remember THAT afternoon! On the 80th anniversary of the opening of the original Comiskey Park. Andy Hawkins of the Yankees and Greg Hibbard of the Sox got involved in a double no-no.

Hibbard was perfect for the first 5 1/3rd innings before Bob Geren got an infield single. Hawkins eventually pitched a no hitter on that afternoon but LOST the game 4-0. In the 8th inning the Sox scored all their runs with two out when Jim Leyritz and Jesse Barfield dropped consecutive fly balls!

Lip

I was at that game. It is one of three no hitters I've been to. It's real simple why this game played out the way it did. 7-1-90 was old Comiskey Park's last birthday. It was also the last time the Yankees would ever play there. The Sox could not lost on their park's last birthday and the Yankees, the most storied team in MLB, could not have something notable happen for them on their last visit ever.

A compromise was struck among Ruth, Gehrig, Jackson and Weaver......

kevingrt
04-03-2008, 11:11 PM
How fast were those first five innings too? Maybe an hour? That was super quick.

itsnotrequired
04-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Didn't JG and Johan pitch 1-hitters a couple years back, where Torii hit a homer and the Twins won 1-0? I don't remember when the first hit was, so it may have not been a dueling no-hitter game for very long...

Are you thinking thinking of the Garcia-Santana game from 2005? Garcia pitched 8 innings on 1 hit ball and LOST as the one hit was a HR to Jones. Santana also went 8 but gave up 3 hits (no runs). Nathan got the save.

mccoydp
04-03-2008, 11:14 PM
You're not talking about the game with big Freddy Garcia in 2005 are you?

EDIT: Already addressed above by itsnotrequired.

Lip Man 1
04-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Ned:

Are you thinking of this one?

August 23, 2005 - In one of the most excruciating losses in team history Sox started Freddy Garcia tosses a complete game one hitter...and loses. His only mistake was allowing an 8th inning home run to the Twins Jacque Jones. It beats him 1-0.

The Twins pitcher that night was Santana who went eight innings allowing three hits. Joe Nathan pitched the 9th inning.

Lip

DSpivack
04-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Ned:

Are you thinking of this one?

August 23, 2005 - In one of the most excruciating losses in team history Sox started Freddy Garcia tosses a complete game one hitter...and loses. His only mistake was allowing an 8th inning home run to the Twins Jacque Jones. It beats him 1-0.

The Twins pitcher that night was Santana who went eight innings allowing three hits. Joe Nathan pitched the 9th inning.

Lip

Didn't Garcia also have a game like that in 2006? I could swear it was after I graduated college (in 2006).

EDIT: A perfect game broken up. In Anaheim:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ANA/ANA200609130.shtml

lukeman89
04-04-2008, 12:39 AM
didn't someone on the cardinals pitch a 1-hitter against us and freddy two years ago? with our only hit being a thome home run?

geraldfritz
04-04-2008, 12:44 AM

Lip

I was also at that game with my grandfather, sitting in the first row of the upper deck in left center. I was only 8 years old at the time, but I still remember it vividly. I still have the souvenir bat that they handed out that day. It is one of my only memories of the old park. Still can not believe what I saw on that day. It was crazy.

doublem23
04-04-2008, 12:53 AM
didn't someone on the cardinals pitch a 1-hitter against us and freddy two years ago? with our only hit being a thome home run?

Anthony Reyes (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200606220.shtml).

RhubarbStew
04-04-2008, 09:38 AM
I was at the Hawkins game. I remember people rooting for the Sox to make outs after the score was 4-0 so that we could witness history and still see the Sox win. Saw a replay of this game a few years later with Rizzuto doing the game and he was going nuts in the 8th inning.

The Immigrant
04-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Didn't Buehrle throw a 2-hit complete game at Toronto last year, only to lose 2-0? That was almost as frustrating as the Garcia loss at Minnesota.

Jurr
04-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Didn't Buehrle throw a 2-hit complete game at Toronto last year, only to lose 2-0? That was almost as frustrating as the Garcia loss at Minnesota.
That Garcia loss still feels like a kick in the gut. I hate the fact that I can't hate Minnesota as much as I used to. Back in the day, I loathed Cleveland. That feeling transitioned to the Twins for a handful of years.

As they say in Cleveland, it's tribe time again.

Walker29
04-04-2008, 05:23 PM
The 8/23/05 game was on my b-day. If I remember correctly Pablo Ozuna was robbed of potential game tying homer in the top of the 9th for the 3rd out.