PDA

View Full Version : Who Do You Think Should Be Sent Down When Owens Comes Back?

TomBradley72
04-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Reports today indicated that the Sox are targeting Wednesday's game with the Twins as the day for Owens to be re-activated. Who do you think should be moved to make room for him?

JB98
04-03-2008, 06:46 PM
It's between Anderson and Ramirez.

Anderson might be more prepared to contribute at the big-league level right now, but he plays fewer positions than Ramirez.

Tough call.

balke
04-03-2008, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if a trade were made by then. Barring that, I think Ramirez will probably go. Knowing how this team works, it'll be Anderson though. Anderson can't utility, and Quentin is the future.

santo=dorf
04-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Anderson and Quentin have nothing left to prove in AAA.

Ramirez has made a jump from Cuba to the MLB and has looked overmatched at this level.

This team doesn't need Quentin, Swisher, Dye, Anderson, Owens, and Ramirez for three OF spots.

What was Swisher's error today?

JB98
04-03-2008, 06:55 PM

Ramirez has made a jump from Cuba to the MLB and has looked overmatched at this level.

This team doesn't need Quentin, Swisher, Dye, Anderson, Owens, and Ramirez for three OF spots.

What was Swisher's error today?

That was Dye's ball. Dye and Swisher collided on a routine pop, and the ball fell.

Swish made an outstanding catch on Gutierrez in the second, crashing into the wall.

In short, Swish had an interesting day in CF.

Jjav829
04-03-2008, 06:59 PM
That was Dye's ball. Dye and Swisher collided on a routine pop, and the ball fell.

Swish made an outstanding catch on Gutierrez in the second, crashing into the wall.

In short, Swish had an interesting day in CF.

Doesn't matter. Swisher called for it. If Swisher calls for it, Dye has to back off. It wasn't Swisher's fault.

As for the question, Ramirez should go down, because he does appear to have some talent, but he needs work. But because of his versatility, I'd guess the Sox will keep him with the big club.

Daver
04-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Jerry Owens.

TomBradley72
04-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Jerry Owens.

Well played. :kneeslap:

EndemicSox
04-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Ramirez needs to learn how to hit big-league off-speed pitches...I think he gains some experience in AAA till June...

balke
04-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Jerry Owens.

Yeah, I mean if this is opinions for a thread I'll have to change my answer. Jerry Owens. To me, there's no reason to have him up right now. He was pulled up too early. We shouldn't even know who he is as Sox fans, except some guy stealing a ton of bases in Charlotte.

Daver
04-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I mean if this is opinions for a thread I'll have to change my answer. Jerry Owens. To me, there's no reason to have him up right now. He was pulled up too early. We shouldn't even know who he is as Sox fans, except some guy stealing a ton of bases in Charlotte.

Oh hell you convinced me, lets put a guy that can't get on base and can't field his position in the starting roster as the lead off man.

Brilliant!

cards press box
04-03-2008, 07:13 PM

Ramirez has looked overmatched although I suspect that Carmona and Sabathia have something to do with that. Having said that, Ramirez would likely benefit from some time at AAA. Is there any chance that they'll also send MacDougal down and bring back Wasserman?

Dan Mega
04-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Oh hell you convinced me, lets put a guy that can't get on base and can't field his position in the starting roster as the lead off man.

Brilliant!

Its Ozzie's decision therefore it must be the right one. Remember what happened in 2005???

Dan Mega
04-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Ramirez has looked overmatched although I suspect that Carmona and Sabathia have something to do with that. Having said that, Ramirez would likely benefit from some time at AAA. Is there any chance that they'll also send MacDougal down and bring back Wasserman?

Mac might as well be released or traded at this point for anything they can get for him.

JB98
04-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Mac might as well be released or traded at this point for anything they can get for him.

Tough to do with his contract situation. He's got two years left at $3 mil per. That's a lot of dough for a guy who sucks.

Tragg
04-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Owens - turn him right back around. I don't see a need for swing at everything slappers.
Otherwise, Ramirez and let him learn SS.

Jerome
04-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Ramirez and let him learn SS.

I agree

Frontman
04-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Jermaine Dye. No teal required.

In all seriousness, I would say Rameriez. The first two games proved he needs some time to adjust to the MLB style of play.

soxfan21
04-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Ramirez. I think that the at bats that he will get while he is down there will help him a lot, and I think that he needs a little more seasoning before he is an everyday ball player. When he is though, look out.

oeo
04-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Why is MacDougal on this poll? And why did so many people vote for him? That's not really a valid option. If you send MacDougal down, Wassermann should be coming up, not Owens.

It's got to be Ramirez. Have him go play SS, and groom him for next year.

oeo
04-03-2008, 08:54 PM

Brilliant!

Love him or hate him, at this point, Owens is a better player both offensively and defensively than Ramirez.

Elephant
04-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Love him or hate him, at this point, Owens is a better player both offensively and defensively than Ramirez.

It's sad to say but I'd definitely take Owens' .325 right now given the other option.

Rocky Soprano
04-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Owens - turn him right back around. I don't see a need for swing at everything slappers.
Otherwise, Ramirez and let him learn SS.

My pick as well.

The Dude
04-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Jermaine Dye. No teal required.

In all seriousness, I would say Rameriez. The first two games proved he needs some time to adjust to the MLB style of play.

Oh how I wish Dye could be sent away. :(:

The Dude
04-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Why is MacDougal on this poll? And why did so many people vote for him? That's not really a valid option. If you send MacDougal down, Wassermann should be coming up, not Owens.

It's got to be Ramirez. Have him go play SS, and groom him for next year.

You're correct, he shouldn't be in the poll. However, I think people's hatred towards him taking up a roster spot and how we all question why he is still playing baseball is the reason people voted for him.

TomBradley72
04-03-2008, 09:58 PM
You're correct, he shouldn't be in the poll. However, I think people's hatred towards him taking up a roster spot and how we all question why he is still playing baseball is the reason people voted for him.

You could make the logic that we can get by with 11 pitchers instead of 12...I doubt that's where Ozzie would go...but some managers would go that direction.

rdwj
04-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Ramirez is the smart choice. We'll see if they do it or not

slavko
04-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Jerry Owens.

Beat me to it. Someone around here has to work at a real job.

russ99
04-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Like it or not, probably Anderson.

He's been a pinch runner/defensive replacement only so far, and Ozzie's given starts to Ramirez and Quentin ahead of him. Today should have been the day for him to start, and it didn't happen. If he doesn't get some meaningful at-bats by Sunday, then he probably won't get a chance anytime soon.

Face it, he's the least versatile of the four, and likely on the big club as injury insurance and/or trade bait. Consider the other candidates:

Owens/Ramirez have speed and Quentin is the power guy off the bench, and no slouch in left or right field.

Ramirez can play multiple positions, pinch run and we'll need him when Uribe gets pick one: a)Fat and Lazy, b) Injured, c)Traded, d)Waived. He's having trouble with breaking pitches, but he'd probably destroy AAA pitching in their small parks. It's best to throw him into the fire up here, at least for a few more weeks to see if/how he adjusts.

Between Owens and Ramirez, we have CF defense covered, range-wise. All we miss out there without Anderson is better reads off the ball (which good speed can cheat on a little) and a good arm.

champagne030
04-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Like it or not, probably Anderson.

He's been a pinch runner/defensive replacement only so far, and Ozzie's given starts to Ramirez and Quentin ahead of him. Today should have been the day for him to start, and it didn't happen. If he doesn't get some meaningful at-bats by Sunday, then he probably won't get a chance anytime soon.

Face it, he's the least versatile of the four, and likely on the big club as injury insurance and/or trade bait. Consider the other candidates:

Owens/Ramirez have speedAnd cannot play a position.

Ramirez can play multiple positions, pinch run and we'll need him when Uribe gets pick one: a)Fat and Lazy, b) Injured, c)Traded, d)Waived.He can play multiple positions, but the only one he can play adequately is SS and that's filled.

Between Owens and Ramirez, we have CF defense coveredMaybe, MAYBE, in fantasy, but not in real baseball.

ND_Sox_Fan
04-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Jerry Owens.

Amen - nothing more to say.

russ99
04-03-2008, 11:50 PM
And cannot play a position.

He can play multiple positions, but the only one he can play adequately is SS and that's filled.

Maybe, MAYBE, in fantasy, but not in real baseball.

Ramirez did well this spring at 2B, and while he's raw in CF, he has good range, as I said. He's played all 3 positions in Cuba, it's not like he's learning a new position from scratch. He prefers SS, it's not the only one he can play.

If the Sox organization really thinks he's not adequate in CF, then why didn't Mr. gold glove Anderson start yet?? Some peoples' blind devotion to Anderson getting justice is getting in the way of the facts.

champagne030
04-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Ramirez did well this spring at 2B

I don't know what you saw, but he certainly did not.

He prefers SS, it's not the only one he can play.It's not the "only" one he can play, but it's the only one he can play adequately.

If the Sox organization really thinks he's not adequate in CF, then why didn't Mr. gold glove Anderson start yet?? That's a question for the Great Oswaldo. :scratch:

kobo
04-04-2008, 01:05 AM
If the Sox organization really thinks he's not adequate in CF, then why didn't Mr. gold glove Anderson start yet?? Some peoples' blind devotion to Anderson getting justice is getting in the way of the facts.
What facts would those be? You are implying that Ramirez is adequate in CF and Anderson isn't. What facts back this up? Ramirez starting over Anderson?

santo=dorf
04-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Ramirez did well this spring at 2B, and while he's raw in CF, he has good range, as I said. He's played all 3 positions in Cuba, it's not like he's learning a new position from scratch. He prefers SS, it's not the only one he can play.

The poll shows a bias on the Anderson hating side. We know Guillen doesn't like him, but that doesn't mean he's making the right decision.

Ramirez is an IF who just came from Cuba. Send him down.

Bucky F. Dent
04-04-2008, 08:08 AM
To echo what many have said already, Ramirez needs to go to AAA and get as many ABs as possible.

Jurr
04-04-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm with the consensus. Alexei Ramirez needs to get down to AAA and work it out a little bit. He really needs to shorten up that swing, and he'll be fine. If the Sox are serious about winning, they can't afford to wait on him to get the hang of MLB pitching.

By the way...who else thinks Brian Anderson is going to figure it out this year?

Flight #24
04-04-2008, 10:14 AM
By the way...who else thinks Brian Anderson is going to figure it out this year?
IMO he's already done that. The problem now is going to be maintaining a good attitude while being completely overlooked/ignored by your manager.

Jurr
04-04-2008, 10:17 AM
IMO he's already done that. The problem now is going to be maintaining a good attitude while being completely overlooked/ignored by your manager.
I really believe that he will get his shot this year. I just don't think Carlos Quentin and Jerry Owens are going to just come out and play incredible baseball. I hope one of them does, but that's really wishful thinking.

Brian will find a opening. I hope he takes advantage.

voodoochile
04-04-2008, 10:26 AM

That may actually be part of the test he is being put through. In addition, given the stories of his late night partying in the past, Ozzie may be watching to see if he comes to the park hungover a lot before trusting him to play.

No distractions in Spring Training, but lots of distractions now that the season has begun. How does Brian handle it all? If he truly is taking things seriously now, then it will show in his preparation and outlook and when he gets a chance he will make the most of it.

Jurr
04-04-2008, 10:31 AM
That may actually be part of the test he is being put through. In addition, given the stories of his late night partying in the past, Ozzie may be watching to see if he comes to the park hungover a lot before trusting him to play.

No distractions in Spring Training, but lots of distractions now that the season has begun. How does Brian handle it all? If he truly is taking things seriously now, then it will show in his preparation and outlook and when he gets a chance he will make the most of it.
Very good point. Sometimes these kids come into the league and think everything is glitz and glamour. Hell, Anderson sat on the bench during a World Series run, had some memorable moments on the highlight film, and then opens '06 as the starter. Who wouldn't think they were a rock star?

The reality of sports jumped up and bit his backside. Now that he has been humbled, he may finally know that his talent can only take him so far. It could be the start of something great.

jabrch
04-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Poor poor Brian...How many players hit .216/.279/.353 in the majors and aren't given jobs because of a great spring?

Cry me a river.

Boo Freaking Hoo

Jurr
04-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Poor poor Brian...How many players hit .216/.279/.353 in the majors and aren't given jobs because of a great spring?

Cry me a river.

Boo Freaking Hoo
Oh...there's no doubting that he had played very underwhelming for years, and the reality is that he won't be handed anything ever again. Brian is going to have to do what 80% of MLB starters do, and that's earn his position when he has a chance. If Owens or Quentin (who are in line ahead of BA) solidify a spot in the lineup, then Anderson is SOL. However, I think he'll get a chance at some point, and he just might be ready to step up.

kittle42
04-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Oh...there's no doubting that he had played very underwhelming for years, and the reality is that he won't be handed anything ever again. Brian is going to have to do what 80% of MLB starters do, and that's earn his position when he has a chance. If Owens or Quentin (who are in line ahead of BA) solidify a spot in the lineup, then Anderson is SOL. However, I think he'll get a chance at some point, and he just might be ready to step up.

FINALLY, something rational about Anderson, looking at the possible positives while acknowledging that he's been crap in the past.

santo=dorf
04-04-2008, 10:53 AM

Cry me a river.

Boo Freaking Hoo
Sounds like Ozzie's career line, and you called him a "pretty good hitter." :rolling:

Are you mocking the the great KW's first round draft choice of Brian Anderson? I'd like to see you do better Mr. Internet Baseball GM. :rolleyes:

kittle42
04-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Sounds like Ozzie's career line, and you called him a "pretty good hitter." :rolling:

Are you mocking the the great KW's first round draft choice of Brian Anderson? I'd like to see you do better Mr. Internet Baseball GM. :rolleyes:

Ah, the old, "you're not the GM let's see you do better" line. We're fans. It's our right to criticize.

And I agree, Ozzie was ceratinly not a "pretty good hitter." He was acceptable and played great defense in an era where SS was a position you plugged in the .200 hitter with a flashy glove and some speed. Hey, wait, Anderson could have played SS back then!

jabrch
04-04-2008, 11:34 AM

I completely agree with that. When BA next gets his chance, I'll be pulling for him if he is still with the Sox. But I won't pull for him to get a chance before guys who have earned that right before him. Next two shots are Owens and Quinten. BA will just have to grit his teeth and either be a good 4th OF or be a starter and tear up AAA.

Flight #24
04-04-2008, 12:04 PM
I completely agree with that. When BA next gets his chance, I'll be pulling for him if he is still with the Sox. But I won't pull for him to get a chance before guys who have earned that right before him. Next two shots are Owens and Quinten. BA will just have to grit his teeth and either be a good 4th OF or be a starter and tear up AAA.

How exactly have Owens & Quentin (or Ramirez for that matter) "earned that right before him"? Owens hit .278 in the 2d half of his rookie year, Anderson hit .257 in the 2d half of his. Anderson outplayed Owens this spring, and was healthier to boot.

So the answer is "Owens earned the right to be ahead of him because Anderson absolutely sucked the first half of his rookie year"? That's BS. As for Quentin, is it his .230 career BA that "earned it"?

None of the 3 had proven a damn thing or earned anything over the others going into ST. BA outplayed the others in ST offensively AND defensively. He has earned at least an equal shot at PT, but so far he's not getting that and there's been no indication that he's going to get that.

In terms of gritting his teeth and/or tearing up AAA, you're right there - those are his only options. Doesn't make the way the Sox are treating him right.

santo=dorf
04-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Ah, the old, "you're not the GM let's see you do better" line. We're fans. It's our right to criticize.
Agree completely. I'm a paying customer, so how are you going to spend revenue money if I don't give it to you? I'm not a braindead zombie Cub fan who will walk into the ballpark no matter what's on the field. I don't live close to the ballpark now anyways so I look to the road trip options.

...and I hope you realize I did not use the "you think you're (usually spelled your) better than KW" line not meaning to mock jabrch as he routinely uses those sarcastic remarks ala the Comic Book guy on The Simpsons.

FedEx227
04-04-2008, 12:20 PM

And I agree, Ozzie was ceratinly not a "pretty good hitter." He was acceptable and played great defense in an era where SS was a position you plugged in the .200 hitter with a flashy glove and some speed. Hey, wait, Anderson could have played SS back then!

Don't worry santo is on your side with that. He's making light of the "don't have an opinion until you run a major league team" statement that gets thrown around WAY too much around here.

jabrch
04-04-2008, 12:45 PM
How exactly have Owens & Quentin (or Ramirez for that matter) "earned that right before him"?

BA had his shot - and failed. Let's look at the queue and see who's next. Both Owens and Quentin have hit well (at least better than BA since his last shot here) at the minor league level and had some level of success in limited major league ABs. Either one deserves a crack before BA who's most recent pefromance in either the majors or the minors, was not good enough.

Last year in Charlotte, Brian hit .255/.318/.435

The year before in Chicago he hit .225/.290/.359

He will eventually get his shot, but it would be nice to see him string together 200 or so good ABs in the minors or perform at the major league level when asked, rather than just give him the job off of 2 pretty poor years.

Ironicaly, as with many Sox, Brian's last good year was 2005.

oeo
04-04-2008, 12:48 PM

And you know what? Brian understands this, so why can't WSI?

Craig Grebeck
04-04-2008, 12:51 PM
BA had his shot - and failed. Let's look at the queue and see who's next. Both Owens and Quentin have hit well (at least better than BA since his last shot here) at the minor league level and had some level of success in limited major league ABs. Either one deserves a crack before BA who's most recent pefromance in either the majors or the minors, was not good enough.
One of which has hit way way way way way way way way way better than the other.

Thome25
04-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Doesn't matter. Swisher called for it. If Swisher calls for it, Dye has to back off. It wasn't Swisher's fault.

As for the question, Ramirez should go down, because he does appear to have some talent, but he needs work. But because of his versatility, I'd guess the Sox will keep him with the big club.

Exactly. The CFer is the captain out there and if he calls someone off, then that's it.

kittle42
04-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Don't worry santo is on your side with that. He's making light of the "don't have an opinion until you run a major league team" statement that gets thrown around WAY too much around here.

My fault!

russ99
04-04-2008, 03:09 PM
What facts would those be? You are implying that Ramirez is adequate in CF and Anderson isn't. What facts back this up? Ramirez starting over Anderson?

I implied no such thing. My point is that Anderson is a good defensive outfielder, but IMO there's not a huge drop-off - at least in range (read my original post) if Owens or Ramirez is playing CF.

I just think a lot of you have this problem where you think Brian Anderson is some kind of potential all-star and it's a crime against nature that he's not in the club's future plans and is not starting - or yet to get an at-bat this season.

Past history both on and off the field and lack of opportunity leads me to believe he might turn out slightly better than Joe Borchard at the plate. Call me a hater if you like, I just prefer not to put on the rose colored glasses. If he stays with the Sox and does great, I'll eat crow.

Scottiehaswheels
04-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Jose

chisoxmike
04-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Ideally, we keep Owens in AAA...forever. But since that won't happen it would be between Ramirez or MacDougal for me. But they wont send down MacDougal just because they need bullpen arms. So, Ramirez it is.

sox1970
04-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Ramirez will be sent down.

Owens won't be a starter when gets back.

Quentin is playing his way in. Something Anderson was never able to do.

Flight #24
04-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Ramirez will be sent down.

Owens won't be a starter when gets back.

Quentin is playing his way in. Something Anderson hasn't gotten the chance to do since his rookie year.
Fixed it for you.

IMO that would be the best decision: Uribe/Ozuna can cover 2B, and Anderson is by far the best defensive OF on the roster (in the org?). But there's no point in keeping the guy up if you're not going to get him even intermittent starts IMO. In that case he's better off going to AAA.

sox1970
04-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Fixed it for you.

IMO that would be the best decision: Uribe/Ozuna can cover 2B, and Anderson is by far the best defensive OF on the roster (in the org?). But there's no point in keeping the guy up if you're not going to get him even intermittent starts IMO. In that case he's better off going to AAA.

Anderson was given plenty of time in 06. He was awful. Then he had attitude problems in 07, and also got injured. He played his way on to the roster this spring; not the starting lineup.

Quentin is getting the job done, and will continue to play until he doesn't.

kittle42
04-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Anderson was given plenty of time in 06. He was awful. Then he had attitude problems in 07, and also got injured. He played his way on to the roster this spring; not the starting lineup.

Quentin is getting the job done, and will continue to play until he doesn't.

Quiet! Any true Sox fan and appeciator of fine talent knows that it was not Anderson's big league failures that have kept him from being an every day player, but instead the manager's unwarranted hatred of him.

People who actually believe this - have you ever considered that a better way to punish a guy whom you hate is to not have him on the major league roster at all? Just a thought!

CLR01
04-04-2008, 06:12 PM
People who actually believe this - have you ever considered that a better way to punish a guy whom you hate is to not have him on the major league roster at all? Just a thought!

When Ozzie has that power let me know...

kevingrt
04-04-2008, 06:14 PM
I think we have enough bullpen arms right now in Massett, Linebrink, Thorton, Logan, Dotel, and Jenks. Send MacDougal down. Just get rid of him. I am sick of him.

But I bet it is between Quentin and Anderson.

Konerko05
04-05-2008, 02:36 AM
Come on, we all know it will be Brian Anderson. Which irritates me to no end.

I'm not saying Anderson should be awarded the starting spot, but the fact remains.... he is the only natural Center Fielder on the roster. This fact should grant him a spot on the roster, if not a starting spot on the roster.

When Owens went on the DL, I was excited for the fact that Anderson would at least get a couple more starts in Center to prove himself. I should've known better. Of course, Guillen once again shows his hatred for Anderson by starting a guy, who just came from another country, out of position. Not to mention Ramirez had looked completely overmatched at the plate.

I just don't understand why Owens is getting a shot at the starting job in Center over Anderson. It's obvious Owens is not a major league starter, let alone a lead off hitter. Why can't Guillen/Williams comprehend this? Owens' defense is below average. Owens' arm is below average. Owens' offense is below average. The main point is he can not get on base, which is the primary role of a lead off hitter. The guy can run... so make him a 5th outfield/pinch runner.

Back to Anderson, how many organizations give up on a first round draft pick after a rookie season of 365 at-bats. Anderson's defense is Center is purely spectacular. There is no reason he should not be given more time to prove himself offensively. I mean how long did we have to wait for Crede to start hitting. Besides, Anderson his looked lightyears better at the plate this spring- his swing and approach.

I would be perfectly fine with Swisher leading off the rest of the season. Leave Swisher in Left, Anderson in Center, Dye in Right. That leaves a pretty impressive outfield defensively. Combine that with our infield defense, and we have one of the best defenses in baseball.

Note: I'm not counting out Quentin in Left either.

SBSoxFan
04-05-2008, 06:51 AM
Come on, we all know it will be Brian Anderson. Which irritates me to no end.

I'm not saying Anderson should be awarded the starting spot, but the fact remains.... he is the only natural Center Fielder on the roster. This fact should grant him a spot on the roster, if not a starting spot on the roster.

When Owens went on the DL, I was excited for the fact that Anderson would at least get a couple more starts in Center to prove himself. I should've known better. Of course, Guillen once again shows his hatred for Anderson by starting a guy, who just came from another country, out of position. Not to mention Ramirez had looked completely overmatched at the plate.

I just don't understand why Owens is getting a shot at the starting job in Center over Anderson. It's obvious Owens is not a major league starter, let alone a lead off hitter. Why can't Guillen/Williams comprehend this? Owens' defense is below average. Owens' arm is below average. Owens' offense is below average. The main point is he can not get on base, which is the primary role of a lead off hitter. The guy can run... so make him a 5th outfield/pinch runner.

Back to Anderson, how many organizations give up on a first round draft pick after a rookie season of 365 at-bats. Anderson's defense is Center is purely spectacular. There is no reason he should not be given more time to prove himself offensively. I mean how long did we have to wait for Crede to start hitting. Besides, Anderson his looked lightyears better at the plate this spring- his swing and approach.

I would be perfectly fine with Swisher leading off the rest of the season. Leave Swisher in Left, Anderson in Center, Dye in Right. That leaves a pretty impressive outfield defensively. Combine that with our infield defense, and we have one of the best defenses in baseball.

Note: I'm not counting out Quentin in Left either.

And Ramirez has yet to play since.

I must admit I'm surprised Anderson didn't get a start over Quentin in CF with Swisher moving to LF. Anderson is the best defensive CF on the team, and Quentin showed very little in spring training to warrant anything. You can't argue with the results, however.

I'd like to see Anderson succeed, because it's a nice story. But I don't care who plays --- just win!

FarWestChicago
04-05-2008, 07:30 AM
Anybody but BA. I don't care who they choose. Pick a starting pitcher, Jenks, Thome, anybody. What the hell does it matter? Just so it isn't BA.

Frater Perdurabo
04-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Anybody but BA. I don't care who they choose. Pick a starting pitcher, Jenks, Thome, anybody. What the hell does it matter? Just so it isn't BA.

Methinks you're concerned less with the Sox roster and more with the health of you your servers. :wink:

voodoochile
04-05-2008, 10:01 AM

Actually, I'm leaning the other way. Dump BA to the minors and then out the door as fast as possible, so the poor FOBA's will be forced to get on with their lives...

kittle42
04-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Actually, I'm leaning the other way. Dump BA to the minors and then out the door as fast as possible, so the poor FOBA's will be forced to get on with their lives...

How true. I still don't get it.

tlebar318
04-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Jerry Owens.

GOOD CALL!!:D: I agree 100 percent-

CLR01
04-05-2008, 01:02 PM
How true. I still don't get it.

No kidding. If you didn't know any better you might think this was a White Sox message board seeing people around here support a White Sox player and all. What a bunch of losers.

champagne030
04-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Reports today indicated that the Sox are targeting Wednesday's game with the Twins as the day for Owens to be re-activated. Who do you think should be moved to make room for him?

Guillen.

Then we don't need to make room until Richar gets healthy and productive.

Tragg
04-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Anderson was given plenty of time in 06. He was awful.
But better than Jerry Owens was last year and with far less lineup support. And Owens isn't in the same stratoshpere defensively. And Anderson could become a good hitter - the ceiling on a slapper like Owens is low. Regardless Quentin-Swisher is better offensively and defensively than Swisher-Owens....hopefully it won't change.

Owens should stay in the minors and then Ramirez should go down when Richar comes up.

soxinem1
04-05-2008, 03:04 PM

JD has looked real rough so far. Misread balls, the collision.

I think we might see him at DH and 1B before long.....

sullythered
04-05-2008, 03:45 PM
I don't know that I'd rather have Anderson than Quentin or Ramirez on the team. What I do know, is I'd rather have Anderson than Jerry Owens on the team. And I certainly prefer Swisher leading off to Jerry Owens. The choice seems simple.

sox1970
04-05-2008, 03:47 PM
I don't know that I'd rather have Anderson than Quentin or Ramirez on the team. What I do know, is I'd rather have Anderson than Jerry Owens on the team. And I certainly prefer Swisher leading off to Jerry Owens. The choice seems simple.

I agree. By the time Owens is ready to come back, he'll be irrelevant anyway since Quentin is going to play himself into the everyday lineup.

Still, I think Owens will take Ramirez' spot on the bench since he's more of a pinch running steal threat.

russ99
04-05-2008, 04:12 PM
I agree. By the time Owens is ready to come back, he'll be irrelevant anyway since Quentin is going to play himself into the everyday lineup.

Still, I think Owens will take Ramirez' spot on the bench since he's more of a pinch running steal threat.

What if Uribe's dealt before then? I think Ramirez' value is that he can play multiple positions.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Ramirez is starting at SS, 2B or CF tomorrow.

jabrch
04-05-2008, 06:26 PM
JD has looked real rough so far. Misread balls, the collision.

He's hitting .500/.600/.900 or something like that. I'll put up with below average defense to get that from my RF.

And don't forget that JD made a great catch the other night to end the game. He isn't going to remind anyone of a GG RF, but he surely is far from a problem on this team.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he is our DH next year if Thome is gone.

Madscout
04-05-2008, 07:03 PM
He's hitting .500/.600/.900 or something like that. I'll put up with below average defense to get that from my RF.

And don't forget that JD made a great catch the other night to end the game. He isn't going to remind anyone of a GG RF, but he surely is far from a problem on this team.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he is our DH next year if Thome is gone.

Agreed. However, I wouldn't call JD's D weak, only his range. He has never had the range that we see in LF or CF, but he has a good arm and makes a lot of plays that help in little ways, such as the play today in I think the 7th when he played the ball well off the wall in the 9th to hold Jaque Jones what looked like a sure double to a single.

jabrch
04-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Agreed. However, I wouldn't call JD's D weak, only his range. He has never had the range that we see in LF or CF, but he has a good arm and makes a lot of plays that help in little ways, such as the play today in I think the 7th when he played the ball well off the wall in the 9th to hold Jaque Jones what looked like a sure double to a single.

It's been weak lately...he's not the defensive player he was in 2005 where his only limitation was his range. Now he has been unable to get to some balls that we'd expect him to get to.

That said - I'll give up quite a bit of RF defensive range for a guy who hits like he does when he is "right"

thomas35forever
04-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Here's an idea: don't bring him back right now!

Chicken Dinner
04-05-2008, 07:11 PM
BA still without an at-bat. It's pretty obvious.

sox1970
04-05-2008, 07:21 PM
I think a BA trade may not be out of the question.

The Sox signed Jeff DaVanon, and while he's not an offensive juggernaut, he can play a solid outfield, and pinch hit.

Tragg
04-05-2008, 07:52 PM
I think a BA trade may not be out of the question.

The Sox signed Jeff DaVanon, and while he's not an offensive juggernaut, he can play a solid outfield, and pinch hit.
Trading BA may be best. But we won't get much for him right now. If we must trade him, wait until Richar comes back, and put him with Uribe to a team that needs a shortstop and we may get a prospect back.

Vernam
04-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Here's an idea: don't bring him back right now!Actually, Ozzie already said it's Owens himself who's getting sent down (for rehab, at least!). :redneck

The way Quentin's playing (and Anderson's not), it's pretty apparent what's going to happen. And the BA conspiracy theorists will have a field day. They might also have a point, this time. :cool:

Vernam

It's Dankerific
04-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Actually, Ozzie already said it's Owens himself who's getting sent down (for rehab, at least!). :redneck

The way Quentin's playing (and Anderson's not), it's pretty apparent what's going to happen. And the BA conspiracy theorists will have a field day. They might also have a point, this time. :cool:

Vernam

NO! If BA can't play his way into the starting lineup than he shouldn't complain on the bus back to AAA.

Did he even TRY to score when he pinch ran a few games back???? Typical bad attitude BA.

Lip Man 1
04-05-2008, 10:19 PM
There is apparently now a 'wild card' in all this discussion about Owens 'automatically' returning. Read Kenny's entire comments in this story, especially the part where he sounds like he's hedging his bets, saying basically it all depends on what the team is doing when Owens is ready to return and whether he still "fits" or not:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080405-carlos-quentin-owens-chicago-white-sox,0,4690785.story

Lip

Craig Grebeck
04-05-2008, 10:24 PM
It's fairly obvious this team does not need Jerry Owens.

gogosox16
04-05-2008, 10:25 PM
What if Uribe's dealt before then? I think Ramirez' value is that he can play multiple positions.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Ramirez is starting at SS, 2B or CF tomorrow.
I doubt the Sox will make anymove with Uribe until Danny Richar is proven healthy.

gogosox16
04-05-2008, 10:26 PM
It's fairly obvious this team does not need Jerry Owens.
I still want him on this team for pinch hit situations and in case we need to put down a sac bunt because no one on our team has a real good chance of stealing a base and also no one on this team can really bunt

Save McCuddy's
04-07-2008, 09:17 AM
The absolute last thing this team needs to think about is bunting.

Send Owens down. If at any point in 100 or more at bats he his hitting .320 plus down there, then he can come back up.

cws05champ
04-07-2008, 09:25 AM
I like Ramirez as much as the next guy, but he needs to go and work on his game a little before coming back up to contribute. If he can work on his footwork at 2B and some play in CF, as well as learning to hit a breaking ball then he may be able to contribute in the 2nd half of the season.

We really don't need Ozuna, Ramirez, Uribe, Cabrera all in the infield. If Cabrera needs a rare day off, Ozuna goes to 2B and Uribe goes to short. Owens should not come back and start though...he's only a bench player and sport starter/pinch runner.

ChiTownTrojan
04-07-2008, 09:35 AM
I like Ramirez as much as the next guy, but he needs to go and work on his game a little before coming back up to contribute. If he can work on his footwork at 2B and some play in CF, as well as learning to hit a breaking ball then he may be able to contribute in the 2nd half of the season.

We really don't need Ozuna, Ramirez, Uribe, Cabrera all in the infield. If Cabrera needs a rare day off, Ozuna goes to 2B and Uribe goes to short. Owens should not come back and start though...he's only a bench player and sport starter/pinch runner.
It is a bit unbalanced to only have one guy on the bench (Ozuna) that can play any of the four IF spots, and two guys for the outfield (Anderson/Owens). But the versatility of the regulars like Uribe and Swisher makes it doable. Ideally we can have Ramirez on the team, who can play all over the field. But I agree he needs to work on his game at AAA by playing every day before he can contribute to this team.

btrain929
04-07-2008, 10:12 AM
I'm about 90% sure I wanna see Ramirez go down, learn some patience at the plate, get 4-5 at bats every day, seeing as many offspeed pitches as possible. Owens on the bench won't hurt him too badly because I don't think he has too high of a ceiling. But I can't say the same thing about Ramirez. He needs repetition to grow and get better.

If Quentin keeps playing like this, you have Swisher in CF and Owens as your backup on the bench. At 2B, you have Uribe and Ozuna, and maybe Richar down the road. At SS, you have Cabrera with Uribe giving him the occasional day off.

We can't get Ramirez enough at bats up here. So send him down, and let Owens be on the bench as a pinch runner/bunting type guy. Then you can send BA in as the defensive replacement for CF if Owens pinch ran for Dye or Swisher, etc.

Flight #24
04-07-2008, 11:19 AM
As much of BA supporter as I am, IMO the OF with Dye-Swish-Quentin is pretty good. And if need be, Dye-Anderson-Swish if fine as well. Swish is doing just fine leading off as well, and I like his combo of OBP and pop over Owens popgun and speed.

The only remaining hole is Uribe. So send Ramirez down to learn 2B and get more ABs, Once Richar is healthy he comes up and platoons with Juan. When Alexei's ready, bring him up and by then hopefully you can deal/cut Juan, leaving a Ramirez/Richar duo at 2B.

Owens stays in the minors in case of injury.