PDA

View Full Version : Tigers 0-3, KC 3-0

SouthSide2Ship
04-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Strange start to the season. Hopefully, Sox can make the tigers record 0-6 after this weekend! Should we be afraid of KC this year???:scratch:

DumpJerry
04-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Granderson=MVP.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Strange start to the season. Hopefully, Sox can make the tigers record 0-6 after this weekend! Should we be afraid of KC this year???:scratch:

I don't see why we wouldn't be afraid of them. They seem to have had our number the last few years.

kjhanson
04-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Granderson=MVP.

Tell you what, with him and Miguel Cabrera out of the lineup, they have a very mediocre lineup.

I don't know how much a broken hand lingers, but quad tightness sure is nagging. This weekend series just got a lot easier.

SouthSide2Ship
04-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Yeah, they had a strong start in '03, but faded down the stretch and finished 3rd in the division. I was at the last game of the season when I was at KU and the KC fans gave Esteban Loaiza a standing O when he left the game after winning 20 games that year.

chisoxmike
04-03-2008, 04:12 PM
It would be great if the Sox can go into Detroit and win this weekend series and keep the Tigers down for a while.

As for the Royals, in 2002 the Indians started off 11-1 and finished 74-88. They'll be better this year, but they're still a year or two out.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-03-2008, 04:17 PM
The Sox need to capitalize on Detroit's misfortune for the next few days....regardless of KC's luck so far.

TDog
04-03-2008, 04:18 PM
I just looked at the box score and noticed that Cabrera had the day off. It seems odd that a young thirdbaseman being cast in the role of team superstar and fan favorite should be given a day off so early in the season.

I don't know if the White Sox should be afraid of Kansas City. In 2003, of course, the Royals got off to a surprising 16-3 start and built up a nice lead by mid-season before the Twins and White Sox overtook them. This is a different team, but I don't think they have the talent of the White Sox, Indians -- or Tigers.

If the White Sox don't win the division, my preference would be to see KC finish first with the American League's third or fourth best record.

It could be that Detroit is playing bad baseball. In any case, I think this weekend would be a great time to make the lives of Tigers fans miserable.

Marqhead
04-03-2008, 04:19 PM
I just looked at the box score and noticed that Cabrera had the day off. It seems odd that a young thirdbaseman being cast in the role of team superstar and fan favorite should be given a day off so early in the season.

I don't know if the White Sox should be afraid of Kansas City. In 2003, of course, the Royals got off to a surprising 16-3 start and built up a nice lead by mid-season before the Twins and White Sox overtook them. This is a different team, but I don't think they have the talent of the White Sox, Indians -- or Tigers.

If the White Sox don't win the division, my preference would be to see KC finish first with the American League's third or fourth best record.

It could be that Detroit is playing bad baseball. In any case, I think this weekend would be a great time to make the lives of Tigers fans miserable.

Read above. Quad tightness is why Cabrera was out.

DumpJerry
04-03-2008, 04:21 PM
I don't know if the White Sox should be afraid of Kansas City.
Since the Sox don't face KC until June 3rd (at home) and then not again until July 8th (road), they should not really be thinking about them right now. A lot can change between now and then.

By then, we should know if this was more Detroit or more Kansas City that resulted in the outcomes of these games.

TDog
04-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Read above. Quad tightness is why Cabrera was out.

The above post wasn't posted when I began typing my post.

oeo
04-03-2008, 04:22 PM
I thought Miguel Cabrera supposedly lost weight? He still looks like a balloon to me.

bigsoxfan420
04-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I just hope the Sox can win this series. That would be great if our 3-5 could all get wins to start the season.

hawkjt
04-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Respect everyone..fear no one. If the sox stay within a game or 2 of Detroit and Cleveland..the rest will take care of itself.

Jjav829
04-03-2008, 04:28 PM
I thought Miguel Cabrera supposedly lost weight? He still looks like a balloon to me.

He did. He looks much better. I don't know what you saw, since Cabrera didn't play today, but I'm guessing you saw something from the bench. When you see him in the game, you'll notice.

Here's a picture from this year:

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080331/capt.b9e5747ad375400b89fd3b7d0f862d5e.royals_tiger s_spring_baseball_mips104.jpg

Cabrera last year:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/media/photo/2007-06/30611913.jpg

Pretty big difference.

HomeFish
04-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah, they had a strong start in '03, but faded down the stretch and finished 3rd in the division. I was at the last game of the season when I was at KU and the KC fans gave Esteban Loaiza a standing O when he left the game after winning 20 games that year.

KC had a 7.5 game lead at the All-Star break. Then they finished in third place -- with the third place team at the break (Twins) being the ones to win the division!

And yet they still gave them the MOTY award. It was a travesty.

pdimas
04-03-2008, 05:37 PM
The team that concerns me more is the Indians right now. Detroit just doesn't have the arms or depth. No doubt in my mind that if Massett was cut he would have been picked up by the Tigers which honestly would have helped them out considering what they have. I was pulling for Wasserman but in hindsight keeping Massett may have been a really really smart move.

JB98
04-03-2008, 06:18 PM
I don't see why we wouldn't be afraid of them. They seem to have had our number the last few years.

Quite the opposite. I can't remember the last time Kansas City won the season series from the Sox. People just get so frustrated when we lose to the Royals. Every loss to them feels like two.

Typically, we've been 12-7 or 13-6 against them.

EndemicSox
04-03-2008, 06:23 PM
KC has some serious young talent, Greinke has all the makings of an ace...

SkeetSkeetAmit
04-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Also, now Gary Sheffield has tear a tendon in his left ring finger on a play at second in the eighth inning. Granderson out, Sheffield out, and if Cabrera still has tightness this upcoming series...

sox1970
04-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Also, now Gary Sheffield has tear a tendon in his left ring finger on a play at second in the eighth inning. Granderson out, Sheffield out, and if Cabrera still has tightness this upcoming series...

That's a shame.

Foulke You
04-03-2008, 07:02 PM
We are definitely catching the Tigers at a good time. We play them 6 games in the next week so I'd rather face them while they're banged up than when they are healthy. The Sox need to take advantage of this and kick them while they're down. Pitching matchup on Sunday is a good one: Buehrle vs. Verlander.

doublem23
04-03-2008, 07:26 PM

Nah, I think we remember the losses to Kansas City much more because they're so terrible (Opening Day '04, anyone?), but in reality, we've owned the Royals for quite some time now.

Huisj
04-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Nah, I think we remember the losses to Kansas City much more because they're so terrible (Opening Day '04, anyone?), but in reality, we've owned the Royals for quite some time now.

The last time the Sox went below .500 against KC in a season was in 2000 when they were 5-7 against them.

Flight #24
04-03-2008, 08:34 PM
FWLIW, Sheff tore a tendon in his ring finger today. He might play tomorrow or he might hit the DL, so the Sox might catch another break since even if he plays one would think first game with the injury he'd be affected by it.

Of course, I also recall Mike Hessman (likely callup) hurting the Sox last year so who knows?

thomas35forever
04-03-2008, 08:56 PM
The Sox need to take advantage of Detroit's drop in momentum. Winning at least two would send the Motor City into a panic.

Railsplitter
04-03-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm optimistic about the Sox' chances this weekend, that's for sure.