PDA

View Full Version : Funny Swisher Moment

Madscout
04-03-2008, 11:22 AM
I was at the Cleveland game last night, and the one bright spot was in the bottom of the first, when the Sox took the field. Swisher is paying attention to the game and some idiot yells out, "Hey, Swisher. You suck!" Without turning around, Swisher puts out his hand and sticks up his thumb. He was playing around with the frat idiots in my section all night. Must be a great guy to have around on your team.

SOXPHILE
04-03-2008, 11:33 AM
That is pretty funny.

Wow. "Hey Swisher, you suck". Very original. I tell ya', those folks in Cleveland are a smart, witty, bunch.

ksimpson14
04-03-2008, 11:57 AM
That is pretty funny.

Wow. "Hey Swisher, you suck". Very original. I tell ya', those folks in Cleveland are a smart, witty, bunch.

Don't forget 'I slept with your mom', directed at Thome. My favorite was when that loudmouth was taunting him on the playoffs. Sorry, no Cleveland fan should be taunting anyone (except maybe one other team) on "October baseball".

That guy that was getting picked up on the TV mic was annoying as hell last night. I will give him credit though, I guess he did his research, with what he said on Crede (who promptly delivered with a RBI single :smile: ) and Uribe shooting people. I feel bad saying it, I kind of smiled at the Ramirez stuff, 'who gave the batboy a jersey, is 85 your birthyear or your weight, and go back to high school' after making an out. But still, people payed to watch a game, not listen to you, shut the **** up!

ksimpson14
04-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Son of a bitch, I think this same damn heckler is at the game today! Just heard a loudmouth yelling right now

twentywontowin
04-03-2008, 12:32 PM
In 2006 when the Royals were in town in April, I had an awesome seat on the first base railing in the outfield.

Reggie Sanders just got traded to the Royals from the Cardinals. I decided to give him a jab during the game. I yelled "Hey Reggie, don't you wish you were in St. Louis?"

He looked right at me, shrugged his shoulders, smiled, and said "yeah". Everyone around us busted out laughing.

It was a classic moment.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-03-2008, 12:42 PM
I was in the bleachers last year (forgot which team the Sox were playing; I think it was the Twins) and someone was heckling the centerfielder. After about 3 innings, he turned around and made a gesture with his hand that the fan had drank too much. It was pretty funny.

RockJock07
04-03-2008, 01:00 PM
I went to a couple of games in 2000 and we were sitting in the OF a drunk ass was yelling at Carlos lee and the drunk yells "Carlos, if you can hear if, give me a sign"! carlos doesn't turn around at all the only thing he did was scratch his ass.

The other time was right before the playoffs in 2000 and the sox were playing Boston and some young kid, probably like 12-13 was giving crap to Nomar after he missed a ball hit to him in BP. The kid said "that's why youre not going to the playoffs!" I think Nomar cracked a smile, but the kid was giving it to the Red Sox all game long.

skottyj242
04-03-2008, 02:34 PM
I thought it was kind of clever that they were chanting "Guilty. Guilty. Guilty." When Uribe was up on Wednesday night.

btrain929
04-03-2008, 03:01 PM
I thought it was kind of clever that they were chanting "Guilty. Guilty. Guilty." When Uribe was up on Wednesday night.

I heard them chanting something, but couldn't make it out. At one time, I swore I heard them cheering "Cubbies, Cubbies."

IlliniSox4Life
04-03-2008, 03:03 PM
I love some good natured ribbing between fans and players. It's just a game and it's fun to just joke around and have a good time at the park. Unfortunately too many people take it too far.

whitesoxwilkes
04-03-2008, 03:35 PM
That is pretty funny.

There's a bunch of knuckleheads in sec 113 on weekends who chant the same thing at opposing outfielders at our park.

The sad thing is they somehow think it's funny.

SOXPHILE
04-03-2008, 04:22 PM
There's a bunch of knuckleheads in sec 113 on weekends who chant the same thing at opposing outfielders at our park.

True. I don't mind people yelling stuff, especially if it's funny or original. It speaks volumes about a person or group of people who can think of nothing better to yell at an opposing player than "You Suck", or swear at them.

Frontman
04-03-2008, 04:27 PM

http://cache.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//Headline_Archives/Ron_Burgundy_scent.jpg
"Stay Classy Cleveland."

Between that and their "traitor" chants at Thome Wednesday; I have no use for Indians fans. That's moronic.

soxinem1
04-03-2008, 04:38 PM

Too bad they were not chanting: 'Come play for us.'

goon
04-03-2008, 04:58 PM
In 2006, when Oakland was in town, the first time Frank Thomas returned, AKA "The Walk-off bunt", Swisher was playing right field and the people in the bleachers were harassing him the entire game. He was really cool about it though, he kept looking back and smiling, some of the guys even got on him to throw a ball to the group around us before the start of an inning. He did, unfortunately, my roommate couldn't make the catch, it was like a foot away from me.

Foulke You
04-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Cleveland definitely needs to get over the Thome thing. My goodness, he left how long ago? He isn't the first player to leave via free agency for more money. The Indians offer wasn't even close. To treat a guy as good as Jim that way who hit over 350 HRs in an Indians uniform is just classless. I won't get it no matter how many times Indians fans try to rationalize it.

Frontman
04-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Cleveland definitely needs to get over the Thome thing. My goodness, he left how long ago? He isn't the first player to leave via free agency for more money. The Indians offer wasn't even close. To treat a guy as good as Jim that way who hit over 350 HRs in an Indians uniform is just classless. I won't get it no matter how many times Indians fans try to rationalize it.

You know, I think its because he's the type of person who won't fight back and get mad over it. They think its a sign that it probably bothers him greatly, so they keep doing it.

That's fine if they do. If the Sox keep Thome a few more years, he can go into the Hall wearing a Sox cap.

johnr1note
04-03-2008, 07:39 PM

I have often found all the hate for the White Sox by our division rivals hard to explain. Fans of the Twins, Indians, and Royals and to a lesser degree the Tigers, put us at the top of the list of teams they all hate. Sometimes even more than the Yankees and Red Sox. Is it middle market jealousy? Or the fact that we're the only team from the Central to actually win it all.

I have some buddies from Cleveland who chalk it up to the combination of Cleveland's championship drought (Tribe hasn't won since 1948, no NFL title since the late fifties or 60s (plus a team that left town), no NBA title, and an NHL franchise that went bankrupt). Besides the White Sox in 2005, Clevelanders have big chips on their shoulder regarding the Michael Jordan era of the Bulls. The Cavs in those years had a shot at the NBA title, but the Bulls blocked the way (kind of like the Yankees and White Sox in the 1950s and early 60s). A lot of the animosity turns out to be Chicago specific -- and the White Sox are the team the Tribe plays. I think any ex Cleveland star who would play for a Chicago Franchise would get the same treatment Thome gets.

BeeBeeRichard
04-04-2008, 01:13 PM
I have often found all the hate for the White Sox by our division rivals hard to explain. Fans of the Twins, Indians, and Royals and to a lesser degree the Tigers, put us at the top of the list of teams they all hate. Sometimes even more than the Yankees and Red Sox. Is it middle market jealousy? Or the fact that we're the only team from the Central to actually win it all.

I have some buddies from Cleveland who chalk it up to the combination of Cleveland's championship drought (Tribe hasn't won since 1948, no NFL title since the late fifties or 60s (plus a team that left town), no NBA title, and an NHL franchise that went bankrupt). Besides the White Sox in 2005, Clevelanders have big chips on their shoulder regarding the Michael Jordan era of the Bulls. The Cavs in those years had a shot at the NBA title, but the Bulls blocked the way (kind of like the Yankees and White Sox in the 1950s and early 60s). A lot of the animosity turns out to be Chicago specific -- and the White Sox are the team the Tribe plays. I think any ex Cleveland star who would play for a Chicago Franchise would get the same treatment Thome gets.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few Sox fans who troll those other teams' message boards with some pretty low-class conduct. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen in reverse, but my perception (as unbiased as possible) is that there are more Sox fans doing it to them than the other way around and therefore the Twins get it less from the Tigers and Indians, the Indians get it less from the Twins and Tigers, etc.. I think that has contributed to the Sox hate you see right there on the message boards, and some overflows to the stands, etc.

A Swisher/fan interaction story... We were sitting in the second row just past the Oakland dugout last season right before the Sox season went into oblivion. Between innings on his way to and from RF, he was making time with a couple of butterfaces in the front row, and in the 8th on his way to the field, he flipped a couple of balls their way, complete with a personalized inscription. It was just interesting to see this ongoing interaction that basically lasted all game long.

Konerko05
04-05-2008, 01:50 AM
I heard some guy in Cleveland yelling to A.J.,

"Hey Pierzynski.... how does it feel to be the most hated player in baseball!!!!!!????"

I had a good laugh at that. At the end of the day I was just happy A.J. was able to step on another player's back again.

MarySwiss
04-05-2008, 09:21 AM

I know; it's weird. I have a friend who's a Cleveland fan who hates the Sox with a passion. Don't get me wrong; I don't like any of the other teams in our division, but last year, I was totally rooting for the Tribe to get it done. But in 2005, he disappeared completely during the playoffs and later admitted he just couldn't bear to watch.

However, I also have a friend who is a Tigers fan, and he's kind of like me; he doesn't like the other teams but he doesn't flat out HATE the Sox.

I must admit I can't stand the Twins. Lots of reasons--jerk players, some psycho fans. But I'd probably root for even them over the Red Sox or Yankees.

HomeFish
04-05-2008, 12:52 PM
"Hey Pierzynski.... how does it feel to be the most hated player in baseball!!!!!!????"

AJ would probably reply "pretty good!".

narski
04-06-2008, 12:46 PM
anyone have video of swisher introducing the lineup for saturdays game??

oeo
04-06-2008, 12:48 PM
I heard some guy in Cleveland yelling to A.J.,

I had a good laugh at that. At the end of the day I was just happy A.J. was able to step on another player's back again.

To be honest, something about AJ's demeanor has changed this year. Maybe it's just early, but I think AJ is a changed man. :dunno:

Frontman
04-06-2008, 02:49 PM
To be honest, something about AJ's demeanor has changed this year. Maybe it's just early, but I think AJ is a changed man. :dunno:

Well, he did apologize for stepping on the guy's back. In previous years, his retort would of been,

"Well, its his fault for laying there. He's just lucky I didn't step in horse manure before coming out to play in this dump!!!"

gogosox16
04-06-2008, 03:45 PM

Im in 113 and we sit next to that guy everygame and it's annoying as hell and it pisses me off but a lot of people laugh about it and it pisses me off