PDA

View Full Version : Play Ball, Chicago

itsnotrequired
04-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Join in the fun as the City of Chicago and National City Bank present Play Ball, Chicago! on Tuesday, April 8, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Daley Plaza (Washington and Dearborn Streets).

With opening day closing in on Chicago, fans will not want to miss the opportunity to celebrate the season with special appearances from White Sox pitcher Bobby Jenks and former player Harold Baines...

This celebration unites fans of the Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Kane County Cougars, Windy City Thunderbolts and Joliet Jackhammers and Schaumburg Flyers as they begin their seasons in Chicago. Free activities include batting cages, speed pitch, fun giveaways and more.

This event also launches National City's drive to collect new and used baseball gloves for area Little League teams and other nonprofit organizations. Glove donations will be accepted at the event and given to the Chicago Park District. National City Bank will continue to accept donations at its branches throughout the summer.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/webportal/portalContentItemAction.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@149191 7930.1207229499@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceadedkegefhdcefecelldffhdfhl.0&contentOID=536976115&contenTypeName=COC_EDITORIAL&topChannelName=HomePage&blockName=I+Want+To

Anyone plan on stopping by?

bigsoxfan420
04-03-2008, 09:02 AM
I will stop by, but I don't know what to expect. Is there going to be booths selling stuff? I know some current and former players are supposed to be there. I have to get some Bobby Jenks stuff to get autographed.

salty99
04-03-2008, 09:29 AM
White Sox pitcher Bobby Jenks and former player Harold Baines, and former Cubs players Bobby Dernier, Scott Sandersen and Bill Madlock!

jamteh
04-08-2008, 02:27 PM
I was there. Joe Crede stood in for Bobby Jenks. I thanked Crede for 2005 and told him how much it meant to me. His reply was "yeah ..." My buddy told him he hopes he dumps Scottie B. and stays with the Sox. I don't think he was too appreciative of that. He is a man of few words apparently.

hi im skot
04-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Joe Crede has always been very quiet in public settings...I don't think his reply has anything to do with how appreciative he was of your comment.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-08-2008, 02:32 PM
My buddy told him he hopes he dumps Scottie B. and stays with the Sox. I don't think he was too appreciative of that. He is a man of few words apparently.

Nowadays players have to watch what they say in this day and age of blogging and camera phones. That's the last thing Joe needs is to be caught bad mouthing his agent in public.

Still though I hope he dumps Boras too.

jamteh
04-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Joe Crede has always been very quiet in public settings...I don't think his reply has anything to do with how appreciative he was of your comment.

I wasn't trying to read into it at all. It was just a bit funny the way he said it. That's all I was trying to convey.

Jaffar
04-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I met Crede at Soxfest a few years back and thought he was an ass but then noticed others were saying the same thing which leads me to believe it's just his personality more than anything.

hi im skot
04-08-2008, 02:57 PM
I wasn't trying to read into it at all. It was just a bit funny the way he said it. That's all I was trying to convey.

And I'm guilty of misreading your post---I didn't see that he didn't react well to the comments about Boras.

:redface:

Foulke You
04-08-2008, 02:57 PM
I was there. Joe Crede stood in for Bobby Jenks. I thanked Crede for 2005 and told him how much it meant to me. His reply was "yeah ..." My buddy told him he hopes he dumps Scottie B. and stays with the Sox. I don't think he was too appreciative of that. He is a man of few words apparently.
Was there a lot of fans that showed up for this event? What was the Sox/Cub fan ratio there? Just curious.

jamteh
04-08-2008, 03:13 PM
And I'm guilty of misreading your post---I didn't see that he didn't react well to the comments about Boras.

:redface:
No worries. :smile:

Was there a lot of fans that showed up for this event? What was the Sox/Cub fan ratio there? Just curious.

It was a decent turnout, but I think the threat of rain kept a lot of people away. When some lady--not sure who she was--asked over the loudspeaker "Who's a White Sox fan?" I'd say two-thirds of the people around me cheered (so about one-third were pro-Cubs.) The other funny thing was hearing Mayor Daley tell Corey McPherrin, "Thank you, Corey McPherson." He also seemed to have a hard time pronouncing "Cellular."

Lip Man 1
04-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Salty:

Sanderson also pitched for the White Sox, went 9-4 I think as the 5th starter in the abbreviated 1994 season.

Lip