PDA

View Full Version : Audio issues on tonights broadcast lead me to Stone & Farmer

HeGone173
04-03-2008, 01:33 AM
Was it me, or was the audio levels of the stadium almost as loud or even louder than Hawk & DJ's mics? It gave me a headache trying to listen, especially with the classless Clevelanders screaming at Thome.

Anyway, around the 2nd inning I gave up on TV audio, and decided to tune in Stone and Farmer on WSCR. I wound up listening for the rest of the game as I watched the television.

Those two are really great together. They do talk pitching a lot, though I think it enhanced the broadcast. It certainly made a miserable game much more interesting to follow. Every time we gave up a run, I wondered if Hawk was pounding his console, or screaming DAG GONNIT. Instead of listening to that, I was treated to a great discourse on the Cleveland farm system, and full analysis of Carmona and Vazquez in action.

When the ump again incorrectly called Crede out, they both pegged it for the bad call it was, yet managed to handle it with class and quickly move on. Not sure how Hawk reacted, but I can only imagine after Monday's opener.

RockJock07
04-03-2008, 02:21 AM
I've heard that alot of people watch the tv muted and listen to the radio, even when singleton was in the booth.

There are just some days that Hawk/DJ are bad and talk about random stuff.

bryPt
04-03-2008, 07:08 AM
I like Hawk, but I grew up listening to games on the radio, so I always turn the sound down on the TV and turn the radio on. I only get to watch 20 or so games a year, but I listen to almost all of them. Stoney and Farmer are still feeling each other out, there are some dead spots where they both don't know if they should add something, but in a couple weeks, they will be the best radio team in all of sports. Stoney is AWESOME and I always liked Farmer (Carl at Palehose nails him in his strip and that is how I always looked at Farmer), so it is all good on the radio side.

Madvora
04-03-2008, 08:04 AM
The audio levels were definitely bad last night. I couldn't believe how low they had Hawk and DJ in relation to the crown noise. It was worse earlier in the game.

roylestillman
04-03-2008, 08:54 AM
The ballpark was pretty empty last night which exagerated some of the more annoying crowd noise. There was one high pitched screamer that kept it up from the first inning until about the seventh. You couldn't get away from her even on the radio. I've never understood why they don't have at least a couple of crowd microphones that would allow one to be turned off when an obnoxious fan is nearby

North Sox Sider
04-03-2008, 08:58 AM
I have to hear Hawk say, " he just missed it," one more time I just may throw up.

esbrechtel
04-03-2008, 09:11 AM
I was actually proud of Hawk and DJ for ripping into MacDougal last night I was wondering what Stoney and Farmer were saying about him....

CubKilla
04-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Stone is the man. He's the reason why I started to watch Cubs games. Farmer and Stone's first broadcast I caught was yesterday.

As for MacDougal, Stone said he has too much going on in his delivery, his fastball is his best pitch but, recently, he has started to rely on his breaking stuff more and more to get the big outs, etc.

Nothing that we really haven't learned before but we're somewhat accustomed to what happens when MacDougal enters a game..... unfortunately.

ws05champs
04-03-2008, 04:53 PM
One of the best parts of listening to it on the radio last night was that you didn't hear that freaking moron pounding on his damn drum!

Foulke You
04-03-2008, 05:47 PM
I've noticed the audio mix problems more when they are on WCIU than I do for the CSN or WGN games. Hawk and DJ sound muffled while the FX mics are turned up to 11.

I was also annoyed with the hecklers in last nights game. They wouldn't shut up the entire time, especially when Thome was on deck or at bat.:mad:

Madscout
04-03-2008, 08:42 PM
One of the best parts of listening to it on the radio last night was that you didn't hear that freaking moron pounding on his damn drum!
Yeah, I was at the game, and I wanted to tell him to put a sock in it, but I was surrounded by Cleveland fans and didn't think it would end well.

ksimpson14
04-03-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm guessing the audio is due to the away games doing HD. From my experiences, the crowd noise is higher for the HD games, with mics in the crowd, like for a surround sound effect of being at the game, but it probably translates to the regular broadcast too

harwar
04-04-2008, 04:12 AM
I like Hawk, but I grew up listening to games on the radio, so I always turn the sound down on the TV and turn the radio on. I only get to watch 20 or so games a year, but I listen to almost all of them. Stoney and Farmer are still feeling each other out, there are some dead spots where they both don't know if they should add something, but in a couple weeks, they will be the best radio team in all of sports. Stoney is AWESOME and I always liked Farmer (Carl at Palehose nails him in his strip and that is how I always looked at Farmer), so it is all good on the radio side.
I also grew up listening to the radio and prefer it to tv sometimes.I've got headphones rigged to play tv in the left speaker and radio in the right,something i learned in the military.
As for Steve Stone and Ed Farmer i couldn't agree more.
I feel that they will just get more and more in tune and become a very good team.The problem is that Stone's contract is for one year and i miss him already if he leaves.

EndemicSox
04-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Posted this in the game thread, but I think I'll get some responses here as well...

Does this work? Found this info on the Detroit board...

I just realized that because I am watching the chicago feed in HD with surround sound that I can unplug the center speaker and in turn unplug the hawk. I still get to listen to the sounds of the game, there is just no play by play. This is the most amazing discovery I have ever made.

Scottzilla
04-04-2008, 02:41 PM
How do you guys listen to the radio broadcast? I've tried but the tv broadcast always seems to be delayed? Or do you just live with the delay?

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-04-2008, 03:19 PM
I see myself truly leaning towards radio audio all season. It is an absolute delight to listen to Farmer and Stone talk pitching...situational pitching.

ws05champs
04-04-2008, 05:09 PM
How do you guys listen to the radio broadcast? I've tried but the tv broadcast always seems to be delayed? Or do you just live with the delay?
During the last 3 games, the TV was actually about 3-7 seconds ahead of the radio. This doesn't seem to bother me. You see what happens and then get the explanation. If it were the other way around, it probably would bother me.

If the radio was ahead, I would probably invest in an audio delay unit like this one:

http://motron.info/shop/product_info.php/products_id/133

If the TV being ahead of the video bothers you, you could invest in a DVR to delay the video.

Foulke You
04-04-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm guessing the audio is due to the away games doing HD. From my experiences, the crowd noise is higher for the HD games, with mics in the crowd, like for a surround sound effect of being at the game, but it probably translates to the regular broadcast too
I'm not sure if the HD has anything to do with it. I noticed this problem last year on WCIU as well. On my cable, I definitely don't notice the audio problem on WGN or CSN, only WCIU.