PDA

View Full Version : Ernie Broglio remembered in bronze

TDog
04-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Bitter Cubs fans are advised (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080328&content_id=375986&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp) to stay away Saturday when the Stockton Ports host the Modesto Nuts in a California League game. If you follow the link, scroll down nearly to the bottom to read about the first 1,000 fans getting a bronze figurine honoring Ernie Broglio.

I heard about this in my car radio Tuesday. Fortunately, considering the laughter it inspired, I was stopped at a red light. The announcers referred to the giveaway as a bronze statue. The Kurt Suzuki bobblehead giveaway on July 18 will, no doubt, be more popular.

For the kids out there, Ernie Broglio was a pitcher who won went 70-55 for the St. Louis Cardinals from 1959 to June 1964 when he was traded to the Cubs for Lou Brock brock. There were other players involved, but Broglio and Brock were the principals.

Broglio went 7-19 for the Cubs. In each of his two full seasons with the Cubs, his ERA exceeded 6, which wasn't particularly good for the mid-1960s.

Apparently, he pithead better for the Ports in 1955.

WSox597
04-05-2008, 07:42 AM
I'd love to have one of those figurines, just to mess with my brother the Cub fan. :D:

We were kids when that trade went down, and to Cub fans it was devastating. Some of them still haven't recovered.

TheOldRoman
04-05-2008, 11:25 AM
I thought for sure you would link to an article from "the Onion".

TDog
04-05-2008, 05:42 PM
I'd love to have one of those figurines, just to mess with my brother the Cub fan. :D:

We were kids when that trade went down, and to Cub fans it was devastating. Some of them still haven't recovered.

I'm know no one who going to the game, so this isn't a plug, but I'm guessing you will be able to find a few Ernie Broglio figurines on eBay very soon.

I just though that this would be a perfectly humbling giveaway for Cubs fans to end the week where they dedicated a statue of Ernie Banks.

WSox597
04-05-2008, 08:23 PM
I'll have to look into that. I'd have great fun with one of those, for a little while.

Nothing against Banks, he was an excellent player for a lot of crummy teams, but why was he at the Hawks game?

Banks does not equal hockey in Chicago.

Ah well, at least it wasn't a Shammy statue.

Yet.