PDA

View Full Version : First at-bat for Pods

manders_01
04-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Sends one up the middle - base hit! :bandance:

manders_01
04-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Tack a stolen base on there! :bandance: On Molina even!

gogosox16
04-02-2008, 09:03 PM
very nice, was it pinch hit or is he starting?

gogosox16
04-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Tack a stolen base on there! :bandance: On Molina even!
even better:bandance:

manders_01
04-02-2008, 09:04 PM
And Scotty scores from second on a Taveras double to center! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

manders_01
04-02-2008, 09:05 PM
very nice, was it pinch hit or is he starting?

Pinch for Aaron Cook

gogosox16
04-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Pinch for Aaron Cook
Thanks, I'm glad for Pods, showing that he can still be very effective in this league.....can't wait untill Colorado comes here and we give him a standing ovation

WhiteSox5187
04-02-2008, 10:15 PM
We could use him.

gogosox16
04-02-2008, 10:17 PM
We could use him.
Kenny make it happen!

cws05champ
04-03-2008, 08:01 AM
No offense...I love Pods and all, but are we going to have to hear about this all year?

MISoxfan
04-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Only if you open the thread.

fquaye149
04-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Only if you open the thread.

brother...

manders_01
04-03-2008, 09:30 AM
No offense...I love Pods and all, but are we going to have to hear about this all year?

None taken. But since I posted in the Talking Baseball forum, and I am in fact talking baseball, you should be aware that there's going to be a lot of basebal talk here, especially about former Sox players. :smile:

I happen to think Pods is a great player (and I know there are several Pods fans on this site) and I happen to live in the city where he now plays. No, I'm not going to post every time he does one little thing but seeing as how it was his first at-bat, I thought I'd share.

doublem23
04-03-2008, 09:34 AM

He'll pull his groin in a few weeks.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-03-2008, 09:41 AM
He'll pull his groin in a few weeks.

Better his own groin than someone else's!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :redface:

Pods career will always be watched here. The guy played a key role in our most recent WS championship.

If you don't want to read about it you have the option not to look at the thread.

kittle42
04-03-2008, 10:36 AM
If you don't want to read about it you have the option not to look at the thread.

I wonder...were people talking about Mongo's sacks after he left to play for the Packers?

Please people, stop turning the 2005 Sox into the 1985 Bears. It's em"bear"assing.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-03-2008, 10:41 AM
I wonder...were people talking about Mongo's sacks after he left to play for the Packers?

Please people, stop turning the 2005 Sox into the 1985 Bears. It's em"bear"assing.

I would say yes, if the internet was available to the public back then.

After years of frustration for Sox fans it's impossible not to glorify the team that finally won it all. So until all members of the '05 Sox retire you will hear about them from someone here. That is unless the '08 team wins it all.

The Dude
04-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Stay tuned to next at bat when Pods perfects the backwards K!

The Dude
04-03-2008, 10:48 AM

I really need to stop agreeing with you, but once again, you are absolutely correct.

Rocky Soprano
04-03-2008, 10:52 AM

Why should people stop turning the 05 Sox into the 85 Bears?

I was 4 in 85 and don't remember anything about the 85 Bears. The 05 Sox did something very special for the city of Chicago, something a baseball team had not done in way too long and who knows if we will ever see it again in our lives.

jdm2662
04-03-2008, 10:55 AM

No. His wrestling career was more noteable than his time with the Packers.

I think the love the 69 Cubs get is much worse. They didn't win a damn thing.

I'm sick of hearing about the 85 Bears as much as the next guy, but they are considered one of the best teams in NFL History. Talk about them is never going away, like it or not. Just change the channel...

I still talk about the Bulls run in the 90s and how amazing that team was. Should I stop talking about that, too? Championship teams are rare and they will always be cherished. Lots of fan bases would die just to see one...

manders_01
04-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Seriously, I love how on this board it's about a criminal offense to discuss anything that has anything to do with the '85 Bears or the '05 Sox. :rolleyes:

And for the record, although I'm grateful for Scotty's Game 2 HR, my Scotty love started before then and continued after then.

manders_01
04-03-2008, 11:01 AM
No. His wrestling career was more noteable than his time with the Packers.

I think the love the 69 Cubs get is much worse. They didn't win a damn thing.

I'm sick of hearing about the 85 Bears as much as the next guy, but they are considered one of the best teams in NFL History. Talk about them is never going away, like it or not. Just change the channel...

I still talk about the Bulls run in the 90s and how amazing that team was. Should I stop talking about that, too? Championship teams are rare and they will always be cherished. Lots of fan bases would die just to see one...

Well said.

goofymsfan
04-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Seriously, I love how on this board it's about a criminal offense to discuss anything that has anything to do with the '85 Bears or the '05 Sox. :rolleyes:

And for the record, although I'm grateful for Scotty's Game 2 HR, my Scotty love started before then and continued after then.

I appreciate the Scotty updates since I don't have the time to always keep up with one of my favorite players. He's been my favorite player since 2001 when he played for the Tacoma Rainers. I got to see his first MLB at bat...a bases clearing triple that should have been an inside the park grand slam.

The thread is clearly marked that it about Scotty, if you don't want to read about him, please just don't open the thread.

spiffie
04-03-2008, 11:23 AM

I see where you're coming from, but I think that as long as these guys are active, especially ones who were so popular (Rowand, Pods, Thomas), that there will always be a certain level of curiousity and interest in their performance. Just as long as he doesn't become like Rowand, and we get 500 people saying "If only Pods were still here."

VeeckAsInWreck
04-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Scotty Pods is at bat now according to Gamechannel on Yahoo!

Thought I'd let you guys know! :tongue:

VeeckAsInWreck
04-03-2008, 02:16 PM
For the record, he grounded out to 3rd. :redneck

The Dude
04-03-2008, 02:25 PM
For the record, he grounded out to 3rd. :redneck

Be sure to let us know what he does for his next AB.

Also, we should start a thread about Alex Cintron and his post-Cubs release. I heard he was last seen in line at the Jewel on Roosevelt and Ashland trying to figure out the self-checkout.

FedEx227
04-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Be sure to let us know what he does for his next AB.

Also, we should start a thread about Alex Cintron and his post-Cubs release. I heard he was last seen in line at the Jewel on Roosevelt and Ashland trying to figure out the self-checkout.

Now that they eliminated Pay By Touch I heard he's having a hell of a time.

Keep us posted.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Now that they eliminated Pay By Touch I heard he's having a hell of a time.

Keep us posted.

According to Gameday, Cintron is holding up the line because he can't find his preferred card. But wait, here is another former Sox, it's none other than Timo Perez! Timo is now letting Alex borrow his card. All is well now with our former Sox.

chisoxmike
04-03-2008, 02:48 PM

It's more pathetic than embarrassing. For some reason, a lot of Chicago sports fans seem content with only one championship.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-03-2008, 02:57 PM
It's more pathetic than embarrassing. For some reason, a lot of Chicago sports fans seem content with only one championship.

That's what happens when you go 88 years without winning a World Series. Think about the 1983 and 1977 teams. They didn't win the World Series yet they remained very popular with Sox fans and still do to this day.

Before the '85 Bears I'm sure there were fans who wouldn't shut up about the '63 Bears team.

kittle42
04-03-2008, 03:09 PM
That's what happens when you go 88 years without winning a World Series. Think about the 1983 and 1977 teams. They didn't win the World Series yet they remained very popular with Sox fans and still do to this day.

Before the '85 Bears I'm sure there were fans who wouldn't shut up about the '63 Bears team.

As Ricky Bobby said, "If you ain't first, you're last."

jdm2662
04-03-2008, 03:10 PM

This is exactly why I enjoyed the 2005 World Series win as much as I can, meaning I went all out that off season until they were officially eliminated in 2006. It may very well never happen again in my lifetime. And hell, considering the Sox have made the playoffs, what eight times, in 105 seasons, the chances of them not winning another title in my lifetime is much greater than it is. It's not a matter of being happy with one. Hell, I'd like a title every season. Life doesn't work that way. The same people whinning about the 2005 talk are probably the same ones that said a few years ago they would trade a title for years of crappy play. What I find even more amusing was back in 1999 people were whinning about the Bulls run being ended or how it was ended, etc. They just didn't realize you saw one of the best teams in any pro sport play with a fantastic run, and yet instead of cherishing the moment, they whinned about random stuff. I knew it wasn't going to last forever, and honostly, I got tired of the drama certain parties brought. I was willing to move on to a new era. It hasn't gone well, but we will never see a team like that again.

That said, when complaints come in about the 2008 Sox being compared to the 2005 team, or you can't rip on players because of what they did in 2005, etc, that is a legit gripe. The 2005 Sox should not be brought up when talking about the 2008 Sox. What happens in 2008 has no bearing on what happens in 2005. And yes, I would love the Sox to go all the way this year and I've seen two championships in my lifetime. However, I don't like their chances.

And remember people, the 1969 Cubs are still a celebrated team in Cubs history. They didn't win a damn thing! And some of are complaining of something that happened recently, and an actual title...

gregoriop
04-03-2008, 04:01 PM

This from a dude that's named Kittle? Unless your real last name is Kittle, you shouldn't rag on anyone for being a fan another ball player.

manders, you keep reppin' the Pods love.

kittle42
04-03-2008, 04:22 PM
This from a dude that's named Kittle? Unless your real last name is Kittle, you shouldn't rag on anyone for being a fan another ball player.

I think you miss the point. Being a fan of a player for whatever reason is fine. Hanging onto every remnant of one team is not.

soxinem1
04-03-2008, 04:33 PM
We could use him.

Danks for Pods!!

fquaye149
04-03-2008, 05:14 PM
I think you miss the point. Being a fan of a player for whatever reason is fine. Hanging onto every remnant of one team is not.

To be fair, many people particularly loved Pods because he's a heartthrob.

It's like being a...say...Jim McMahon fan:wink:

doublem23
04-03-2008, 06:29 PM

:o:

Wow. 88 years without a World Series and we're "pathetic" because we want to remember it fondly? Like, maybe some of us had family that never got a winner? Sorry, it is special, and if they never do it again, we're all still lucky.

kittle42
04-03-2008, 06:52 PM
:o:

Wow. 88 years without a World Series and we're "pathetic" because we want to remember it fondly? Like, maybe some of us had family that never got a winner? Sorry, it is special, and if they never do it again, we're all still lucky.

No one disagrees with this. No one at all.

But this grasping at players who were on that roster like they are people's dying breaths is a bit ridiculous. And in some cases, it's the *only* reason people can cite for wanting that player. People were advocating keeping Willie Harris because he scored a run in Game 4 of the World Series. I think I've been rolling my eyes ever since.

Jjav829
04-03-2008, 07:17 PM
No one disagrees with this. No one at all.

But this grasping at players who were on that roster like they are people's dying breaths is a bit ridiculous. And in some cases, it's the *only* reason people can cite for wanting that player. People were advocating keeping Willie Harris because he scored a run in Game 4 of the World Series. I think I've been rolling my eyes ever since.

There is a difference between wanting a player on the Sox and following what they do.

Take Geoff Blum. There's a part of me that will always notice whenever Geoff Blum does something, like his home run the other day. That doesn't mean I want Geoff Blum back on the Sox. But he hit one of the most important home runs in White Sox history, so as long as he is an active player, I'll always take note of when Blum does something more so than I would when, say, Jack Wilson gets a big hit.

There's no comparison between this and the 85 Bears. The problem with the Bears fans holding on to the 85 Bears is that everything gets compared to that. And it was 20+ years ago. The Sox won the World Series 2 1/2 years ago. Just about every player on that team is still currently on an active major league roster.

People around here like to read too much into everything. Noting that Scott Podsednik got a hit or stole a base, or being happy for him doing so, isn't equivalent to wanting Scott Podsednik to be back on the Sox.

doublem23
04-03-2008, 07:21 PM
People around here like to read too much into everything. Noting that Scott Podsednik got a hit or stole a base, or being happy for him doing so, isn't equivalent to wanting Scott Podsednik to be back on the Sox.

Not to mention that the person who started this thread lives in Denver.

manders_01
04-03-2008, 09:39 PM

Will do! :smile:

Ummmm, when did I ever say anything about the '05 Sox? :?:

kittle42
04-03-2008, 10:07 PM

Ehh, you're right. Just got peeved and it caused one of my favorite rants.