PDA

View Full Version : Around the league (in general)

ksimpson14
04-02-2008, 08:58 PM
There's a lot of interesting stuff I see during a season, maybe worth mentioning, but not a whole new thread, so if this was okay, I was thinking of a thread for general game/stat/move tracking (if it isn't anything major).

-------------
Washington wins again. 1-0 shutout @ Philadelphia, impressive.

Tigers offense gets shut down. 0 runs, 3 hits, against the Royals

If the boxscore is right, looks like the Brewers hit the pitcher 8th today. Interesting. I remember hearing someone thinking of this, must've been them.

Leave it to the Twins. Nick Blackburn (I haven't heard of him but I don't follow farm systems) shuts out the Angels tonight. 1 earned run through 7 innings.

Same old Damaso Marte. Saw he was coming in, so I figured I'd see how our old friend was doing. First batter, 2R HR to Teixiera. 3 more hits after that, and bloop, pitching change

Jjav829
04-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Oh man, Jeff Brantley haters, you just missed a GREAT moment in the Reds game.

I'll set it up a bit. Bottom of the 9th. The Reds are trailing 5-3. The D'backs bring on Brandon Lyon to close it out. Lyon gives up a leadoff single to Brandon Phillips. Then another single to Adam Dunn. That brings up Edwin Encarnacion. The bunt is on. Encarnacion takes two pitches (one ball, one strike), then makes a horrible bunt attempt on a curve. Here is where Brantley comes in. Brantley is upset because Encarnacion is putting together a crappy at-bat, not getting the bunt down. Thom Brenneman is trying to defend Encarnacion a bit, saying that he's not used to bunting. Brantley replies, "Then they should take him out...This guy just isn't a clutch hitter." The next pitch, which is literally 5 seconds later, Encarnacion crushes one over the left field wall for a 3-run walk-off HR. :D:

Jjav829
04-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Damn, I was looking forward to Lincecum vs. Billingsley in the Dodgers/Giants game. Both were scratched because of a big storm moving in that may wash out the game. :(:

4th Gen. Sox Fan
04-02-2008, 09:47 PM

I'll set it up a bit. Bottom of the 9th. The Reds are trailing 5-3. The D'backs bring on Brandon Lyon to close it out. Lyon gives up a leadoff single to Brandon Phillips. Then another single to Adam Dunn. That brings up Edwin Encarnacion. The bunt is on. Encarnacion takes two pitches (one ball, one strike), then makes a horrible bunt attempt on a curve. Here is where Brantley comes in. Brantley is upset because Encarnacion is putting together a crappy at-bat, not getting the bunt down. Thom Brenneman is trying to defend Encarnacion a bit, saying that he's not used to bunting. Brantley replies, "Then they should take him out...This guy just isn't a clutch hitter." The next pitch, which is literally 5 seconds later, Encarnacion crushes one over the left field wall for a 3-run walk-off HR. :D:
Good ol' Brantley, I still love his quote from 05 about Sox fans crying in their beers and saying Minnesota was going to win the division

Jjav829
04-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Is anyone watching this Dodgers/Giants game? This has to the weirdest strategy I've seen in a long time.

The forecast calls for heavy rain. Both managers scratch their starters - Billingsley for the Dodgers, Lincecum for the Giants. Instead, Valdez starts for the Giants and Kuo for the Dodgers. The Giants get two innings out of Valdez, one out of Taschner, and then who do they bring in? Lincecum. The Dodgers go with Kuo for three, Troncoso for one, and now Billingsley is in the game. It's a 1-0 game in the top of the 5th and it's raining pretty heavily right now.

Now Andre Ethier just dropped a routine fly ball and the tying run scored.

It's a 1-1 game, they are rushing to get the game in and the two young studs entered the game in relief. Weird...:kukoo:

And before I even finish this post, they are going to a rain delay...:?::?::?:

What the hell are Bochy and Torre doing?

JB98
04-02-2008, 11:22 PM

As a Brantley hater, I enjoyed this story. :)

ksimpson14
04-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Brantley, ha, I forgot about him. I still can't believe a team hired that guy.

Just saw Trevor Hoffman blow a save. 4 run 9th for the Astros

ksimpson14
04-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Is anyone watching this Dodgers/Giants game? This has to the weirdest strategy I've seen in a long time.

The forecast calls for heavy rain. Both managers scratch their starters - Billingsley for the Dodgers, Lincecum for the Giants. Instead, Valdez starts for the Giants and Kuo for the Dodgers. The Giants get two innings out of Valdez, one out of Taschner, and then who do they bring in? Lincecum. The Dodgers go with Kuo for three, Troncoso for one, and now Billingsley is in the game. It's a 1-0 game in the top of the 5th and it's raining pretty heavily right now.

Now Andre Ethier just dropped a routine fly ball and the tying run scored.

It's a 1-1 game, they are rushing to get the game in and the two young studs entered the game in relief. Weird...:kukoo:

And before I even finish this post, they are going to a rain delay...:?::?::?:

What the hell are Bochy and Torre doing?

Was just about to post about this. I was looking forward to the matchup too, then went to do something else when I saw they were scratched, now logged back on, and see both just came in the game, and there's a rain delay. I like the strategy if you know there'll be a delay early, and you bring them in AFTER it's over, with a good window to finish the game, but no, this doesn't make sense to me :scratch:

ksimpson14
04-03-2008, 12:10 AM
The game is back on. Loaiza is now in for the Dodgers. Lincecum stayed in for SF.

Still :scratch:

thomas35forever
04-03-2008, 12:54 AM

He must be taking lessons from Tim McCarver on how to badly time an opinion. Speaking of which, yeah, that taste isn't in Lidge's mouth anymore.

moochpuppy
04-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Updated world series prediction:

Kansas City (2-0) vs. Washington (3-0)

Tigers offense gets shut down. 0 runs, 3 hits, against the Royals

All three hits came from Edgar Renteria.

Jjav829
04-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Was just about to post about this. I was looking forward to the matchup too, then went to do something else when I saw they were scratched, now logged back on, and see both just came in the game, and there's a rain delay. I like the strategy if you know there'll be a delay early, and you bring them in AFTER it's over, with a good window to finish the game, but no, this doesn't make sense to me :scratch:

Horrible mismanagement by Torre and Bochy. As it turned out, Billingsley only stayed in the game for 1/3 of an inning, while Bochy let Lincecum go back into the game after a 72 minute rain delay, which was about a 90 minute delay for Lincecum since the Giants were batting before and after the delay.

ksimpson14
04-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Nats with a 5 spot in the top of the first in Philly. Team looks to be en fuego

VeeckAsInWreck
04-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Nats with a 5 spot in the top of the first in Philly. Team looks to be en fuego

Yeah, I noticed that too. The Nats are pounding Jaime Moyer today. He's not fooling anyone with his 79MPH fastball.

palehozenychicty
04-03-2008, 01:17 PM
The Nasty Nats! :o:

VeeckAsInWreck
04-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Don't look now but KC has a 2-0 lead on Detroit. Alex Gordon hit a 2 run HR.

kevingrt
04-03-2008, 01:45 PM
If I were a Tigers fan I would be worried this season. Such high expectations and you can't beat the Royals once? Tiggers down 3-0 at home AGAIN!

PorkChopExpress
04-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Don't forget Granderson is out. He is a sparkplug for their offense. When he comes back, you will see things turn around pretty quickly.

I also noticed Miguel was out today with sore quadriceps. That's not gonna be good for them if he has nagging problems. But as the Sox go the year before, the Tigers go now.

palehozenychicty
04-03-2008, 01:49 PM
If I were a Tigers fan I would be worried this season. Such high expectations and you can't beat the Royals once? Tiggers down 3-0 at home AGAIN!

These ain't the same Royals. They're going to give a lot of people problems this year.

ksimpson14
04-03-2008, 02:14 PM
A Phillies 6 run inning puts them on top in the 6th. Could've been more, but a nice bases loaded DP by Wash to end the inning stopped the bleeding.

Man, ESPN's MLB scoreboard is exxxxxxxtraa slow this year. Like innings behind. Yahoo!'s is much more accurate

VeeckAsInWreck
04-03-2008, 02:14 PM
The Nats may be returning to Earth soon. Phillies got a 6 run 6th inning to take a 7-6 lead.

KC leads the Tiggers 4-0 in the 7th.

kraut83
04-03-2008, 02:56 PM
And the Tigers just got swept by the Royals.

I might actually need to tune into sportsblab radio on the way home today just so I can listen to the locals bitch! :D: