PDA

View Full Version : The most depressing park in MLB

Fenway
04-02-2008, 02:16 PM
I am in it right now

McAfee Coliseum

Looking out at Mt Davis I just shudder.....

http://www.accbuilt.com/images/lightbox_images/landscape/mcafee.jpg

Going to seem like a Boston home game.....thousands of Red Sox fans here

This place smells worse than Wrigley

gogosox16
04-02-2008, 02:18 PM
To me from that pic, that place looks like a death trap to me

oeo
04-02-2008, 02:22 PM
I hate that place on TV, and I can hear those awful horns just looking at the picture.

gogosox16
04-02-2008, 02:23 PM
I hate that place on TV, and I can hear those awful horns just looking at the picture.
Yea, they need a new stadium bad. what a p.o.s. that is

TDog
04-02-2008, 02:29 PM
I went to McAfee last summer, and I would have to concur. I sat in the upper deck behind first because, despite the lack of charm, the lower seats are overpriced. Sitting alone in an upper deck section adds to the depressing nature of the stadium.

You can actually see McAfee from a couple of spots in AT&T Park, where I don't mind sitting in the upper deck so much. The thing is, if you are into a good game, it doesn't matter how depressing the park is because you're not paying attention to the backdrop.

Elephant
04-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Fortunately the A's have a spectacular stadium going up in a few years.

At least the Coliseum is outdoors and grass. It's not nearly as depressing at Tropicana or the mother of them all, the Metrodome.

DeadMoney
04-02-2008, 02:36 PM
- Concrete everywhere.
- Bad sight-lines.
- The 'Mt. Davis' catastrophe laying practically empty for most games.
- The neighborhood.

That place is brutal.

I've never been to the Trop, but McAfee is right up there with the Metrodome and Shea Stadium for worst stadiums I've attended games at. And with all the talk about Yankee Stadium closing, I should mention that it doesn't trail too far behind in my personal rankings. With Yankee Stadium, I understand the history, but that place is a dump - even more so than Fenway and Wrigley.
//end of rant

Anyway, McAfee sucks!

Elephant
04-02-2008, 02:43 PM
I've never been but McAfee looked pretty decent in the 70s up to the 90s when they just had bleachers in the outfield where Mt. Davis currently is. It was still round and had way too much foul territory but it generally looked like a ballpark instead of a stadium, and there was a good view beyond the outfield.

http://hometown.aol.com/CYCLEMENS8601/images/Bp010d.jpg

Huisj
04-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Do they still put the big tarp cover over the upper levels for baseball games like they've done the last few years?

kraut83
04-02-2008, 02:46 PM
- Concrete everywhere.
- Bad sight-lines.
- The neighborhood.

That place is brutal.

I've never been to the Trop, but McAfee is right up there with the Metrodome and Shea Stadium for worst stadiums I've attended games at. And with all the talk about Yankee Stadium closing, I should mention that it doesn't trail too far behind in my personal rankings. With Yankee Stadium, I understand the history, but that place is a dump - even more so than Fenway and Wrigley.
//end of rant

Anyway, McAfee sucks!

I have a strong dislike of the A's and that place has been unkind to the Sox over the years, so yes, I hate the stadium as well!

The Trop is definitely at the bottom of the list of current parks, but isn't all that horrible. The worst part for me was walking into the building on a beautiful summer evening knowing I was about to watch baseball under a roof.

C-Dawg
04-02-2008, 02:55 PM
I hope to go to Oakland this year, as part of my "doomed ballparks tour". It sounds too horrid to skip!

And yes, I still consider the Metrodome to be the worst.

Fenway
04-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Do they still put the big tarp cover over the upper levels for baseball games like they've done the last few years?

They have the tarps in place. Only about 18,000 here now but the horns are here.

Will this trip ever end?

DumpJerry
04-02-2008, 03:24 PM
And yes, I still consider the Metrodome to be the worst.
Agreed. It is impossible to get something worse than that place. When I lived in Minnesota I stopped going to baseball games because it did not capture any of the essence of being at the ballpark.

The most ridiculous thing was one weekend the Sox were coming to town and there was a day game for the Saturday. My buddy and I were going to go to it. Well, that Saturday morning it was sunny and 80's. We decided not to go because it was too nice out.

I did, however, see the Bears there in Week 3 of the 1985 season.:bandance:

SoxNation05
04-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Dolphin Stadium wasn't much fun either.

Irishsox1
04-02-2008, 03:34 PM
1. Tampa Bay
2. Minnesota
3. Toronto
4. Oakland

SaltyPretzel
04-02-2008, 03:44 PM
I am in it right now

McAfee Coliseum

Looking out at Mt Davis I just shudder.....

http://www.accbuilt.com/images/lightbox_images/landscape/mcafee.jpg

Going to seem like a Boston home game.....thousands of Red Sox fans here

Heck, it doesn't even have a pitcher's mound.:tongue:

TDog
04-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Agreed... because(edit: the Metrodome) did not capture any of the essence of being at the ballpark ....

I've never been to the Metrodome, but I felt that way about the ballpark in Milwaukee when the roof was closed, granted it would never be closed in good weather. And with the roof open in the late afternoon, I hated the configuration of the shadows.

I'm not saying the problems I had with Miller Park compare to what I would find at the Metrodome. I hope I never experience a sorrier excuse for a baseball venue than McAfee, although it has the saving grace of having a BART stop at the front door.

thomas35forever
04-02-2008, 04:15 PM
I've never been but McAfee looked pretty decent in the 70s up to the 90s when they just had bleachers in the outfield where Mt. Davis currently is. It was still round and had way too much foul territory but it generally looked like a ballpark instead of a stadium, and there was a good view beyond the outfield.

Once the Raiders moved back to Oakland, that was it for the Coliseum as baseball knew it. Too bad the city didn't build a new stadium.

russ99
04-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Once the Raiders moved back to Oakland, that was it for the Coliseum as baseball knew it. Too bad the city didn't build a new stadium.

Too bad the Raiders didn't stay in L.A.. Stupid Raiders...

Phil Bradley
04-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Oakland is the absolute worst place to go watch a game. Thank god the Sox are coming to SF this year because I won't even go watch them in Oakland. Its a dump, the fans who show up are awful, and the stadium is decaying.

I can't believe there are people who want them to stay there. That place sucks.

Frontman
04-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Even my friends who are Twins fans hate the Metrodome.

AZChiSoxFan
04-02-2008, 04:38 PM
I've been to a game at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum (or whatever it's called this week). While I haven't been to a game at the HHH Metrodome or the Rays dome, I have a hard time believeing the Oakland Coliseum is worse than either of those. I know the Oakland Coliseum is a pile of crap but at least the games there are played outside.

AZChiSoxFan
04-02-2008, 04:40 PM
.....thousands of Red Sox fans here

Wondering if your second statement is a direct result of your first statement. :D:

Jerko
04-02-2008, 04:40 PM
I sat on Mt. Davis at a Raiders game a few years back. HATED the place. The view from up there OUTSIDE the park was nice though. The park itself was pretty drab.

DSpivack
04-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Even my friends who are Twins fans hate the Metrodome.

I really like the design for their new stadium. Hard to describe, but it seems very 'Minnesota'.

sox1970
04-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Currently?....Progressive Field

soxfanatlanta
04-03-2008, 07:08 AM
The Trop: Baseball's answer to the toilet bowl.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-03-2008, 07:49 AM

Does anyone have a link to similiar pictures of past and current ballparks? I really like this particular point of view.

DumpJerry
04-03-2008, 07:52 AM
I know the Oakland Coliseum is a pile of crap but at least the games there are played outside.
Indoor baseball defies the Will of God.

So it is written......

gregoriop
04-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Currently?....Progressive Field

Please expand on this.

TDog
04-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Please expand on this.

Watching the Sox play in Progressive Field Monday and Wednesday (the day the post was posted) was probably depressing after a long winter without baseball.

Rockin Robin
04-03-2008, 04:28 PM
- Concrete everywhere.
- Bad sight-lines.
- The neighborhood.

That place is brutal.

//end of rant

Anyway, McAfee sucks!

Hey hey say what you want about the Red Sox, but Fenway is leaps and bounds above either of those two. They've kept that place up remarkably well. As opposed to Wrigley, which the ownership just let rot.

soxinem1
04-03-2008, 04:32 PM
McAfee looks like an open waffle iron or George Foreman Grill.

sox1970
04-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Watching the Sox play in Progressive Field Monday and Wednesday (the day the post was posted) was probably depressing after a long winter without baseball.

Yes.

WizardsofOzzie
04-03-2008, 04:40 PM
I found this online just now where people were making replicas of parks using Lego's. Some of them were pretty impressive but sadly we weren't included. They however did do the metrodome minus the roof and it looks like **** even in Lego form :smile:

http://homerderby.com/archives/1920

Fenway
04-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Hey hey say what you want about the Red Sox, but Fenway is leaps and bounds above either of those two. They've kept that place up remarkably well. As opposed to Wrigley, which the ownership just let rot.

They have been working on the park all winter and thay hope to be ready next Tuesday. They have spent a fortune on the dump and next year will be the biggest change yet....the grandstand will be reduced by 3 rows and new seats installed and the RF seats will be pointed towards home plate.

They also promise the largest Daktronics board in MLB. They will be there for at least another 25 years.

roylestillman
04-03-2008, 06:35 PM
The worst I ever saw a game at the old Veterans Stadium in Philly in 1991. Crumbling parking lots, dead landscaping, signage from the 60's and, inexplicably, concertina wire surrounding the outside of the stadium. We weren't sure if it was to keep people out or to keep 'em in.

ksimpson14
04-04-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm not just saying this as a Sox fan, but the worst I've been to is Wrigley. The parking situation, the bad food, the gross smell/bathroom. I remember guys trying to come into my stall when I was a ****ing little kid, knowing I was in there, really gross (this was after I promised not to use the trough anymore, since multiple guys were taking a peek, yes, when I was under 10). Then there's the poles, and just some bad experiences with douches always in my seats.

And I've been to Shea, at least they have parking.

TDog
04-04-2008, 12:29 AM

And I've been to Shea, at least they have parking.

At least the Beatles visited Shea Stadium.

DeadMoney
04-04-2008, 12:32 AM

I probably should not have included Fenway there, because when I was there, I liked it (I was there in '02). My problems with Fenway stem mainly from not having enough room (both concourse/walkway/tunnel wise, and seating wise). I mean, it was all just sort of cramped.

Since the many renovations, I imagine that this feeling has been increased due to them just stacking everything on top of things, but I can't speak to that. I actually don't think that Fenway is in the Top 5 worst, that's for sure; and, it may not even be in the Top 10 worst. But, after that, there may not be many parks it out-ranks (especially with so many newer parks out there). Though, for as old as it is, they've done remarkable things to make that park as current as possible.

russ99
04-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Indoor baseball defies the Will of God.

So it is written......

Obviously you never attended a baseball game in Houston in mid-late summer outside... There's a reason they built those domes.

:D:

Fenway
04-04-2008, 02:26 PM
I probably should not have included Fenway there, because when I was there, I liked it (I was there in '02). My problems with Fenway stem mainly from not having enough room (both concourse/walkway/tunnel wise, and seating wise). I mean, it was all just sort of cramped.

Since the many renovations, I imagine that this feeling has been increased due to them just stacking everything on top of things, but I can't speak to that. I actually don't think that Fenway is in the Top 5 worst, that's for sure; and, it may not even be in the Top 10 worst. But, after that, there may not be many parks it out-ranks (especially with so many newer parks out there). Though, for as old as it is, they've done remarkable things to make that park as current as possible.

They actually thought it out well. When they built the new Red Sox clubhouse the roof of it became more concourse space behind the grandstand. Last year they did the same when they moved NESN studios to the burbs and used that space on the third base side. It is a 1000% better than it was in 2002.

New changes for 2008
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/04/04/fenway_gets_a_few_upgrades_for_a_home_field_advant age/

VIDEO
http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1272266785/bctid1486953488

turners56
04-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Anything that is both a football and baseball stadium is bound to suck. So that means that the Hump Dome, Anti-virus Coliseum (AKA McAfee), and whatever they call that place down in Miami are bound to be terrible places to watch a baseball game. But outside of those I'd say Tampa.

mccoydp
04-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Atlanta's Fulton County Stadium was an out-and-out dump.

Fenway
04-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Rogers Centre where I am at now isn't so hot anymore. It has aged badly....

Toronto on a cold snowy day stinks

NESN really going to make people angry tonight.... Comcast screwed up the backup channel and both games will be done split screen on Comcast systems...

see Manny skating over the blue line....

skobabe8
04-04-2008, 06:47 PM
They have been working on the park all winter and thay hope to be ready next Tuesday. They have spent a fortune on the dump and next year will be the biggest change yet....the grandstand will be reduced by 3 rows and new seats installed and the RF seats will be pointed towards home plate.

They also promise the largest Daktronics board in MLB. They will be there for at least another 25 years.

The article you linked doesnt mention any of those grandstand changes for 2009:

Up for next year: renovation of the right field upper deck and replacement of the center field scoreboard.http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

ComiskeyBrewer
04-04-2008, 11:37 PM
I found this online just now where people were making replicas of parks using Lego's. Some of them were pretty impressive but sadly we weren't included. They however did do the metrodome minus the roof and it looks like **** even in Lego form :smile:

http://homerderby.com/archives/1920

http://homerderby.com/archives/1928

One guy actually has Miller Park with a working roof. Crazy.

Fenway
04-05-2008, 12:01 AM
The article you linked doesnt mention any of those grandstand changes for 2009:

Up for next year: renovation of the right field upper deck and replacement of the center field scoreboard.http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

They have filed the paperwork with the city for the grandstand for next year