PDA

View Full Version : The new MLB Media Player

Whitesox029
04-02-2008, 02:13 PM
...is no good. I was listening to my Gameday audio in spring training on the old one, but now the new one pops up and doesn't work on my computer, which is bogus. Anyone know if I can access the old one somehow?

downstairs
04-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Its working all of 10% of the time for me on one computer, and never on my main computer. It is pure junk.

A lot of people are complaining about it.

Basically they used to have a Flash/Windows Media version the previous years. This year they introduced a new one based in Silverlight from Microsoft. It was optional all spring training (I opted not to use it because, well, it didn't work!).

Now, its the *only* option.

/sigh

mccoydp
04-02-2008, 03:27 PM
It's not working for me, either. I use Ubuntu Linux 7.10, and it worked fine in the past since I had the appropriate multimedia plugins installed. I know it gives you the option to use Flash as well, and I have Flash for Firefox installed, but I don't even get the option to choose my player any longer.
Until the Linux version of Silverlight, a.k.a. Moonlight, comes out, I have to watch the games in Windows XP through VMWare.

voodoochile
04-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Its working all of 10% of the time for me on one computer, and never on my main computer. It is pure junk.

A lot of people are complaining about it.

Basically they used to have a Flash/Windows Media version the previous years. This year they introduced a new one based in Silverlight from Microsoft. It was optional all spring training (I opted not to use it because, well, it didn't work!).

Now, its the *only* option.

/sigh

Yeah, it's a bit weird. I had a bad time with it this spring and used the old one. Then yesterday on my desktop I didn't have a choice, but when I later switched to my laptop I still did. Fortunately Silverlight worked much better yesterday than it had in the past, but the picture quality and frame resolution were still better on my laptop using the old version.

SoxFan64
04-02-2008, 03:54 PM
I downloaded Silverlight to a XP OS and I use Firefox as my browser. So Silverlight does not work in Firefox -- at least as I can find it. So I am stuck using Silverlight in IE. Damn that MSFT.

voodoochile
04-02-2008, 03:58 PM
I downloaded Silverlight to a XP OS and I use Firefox as my browser. So Silverlight does not work in Firefox -- at least as I can find it. So I am stuck using Silverlight in IE. Damn that MSFT.

For the first time it worked okay Monday with Firefox, so maybe they tweaked it. However, if I am forced to use IE this season, they are going to catch an earful from me all season long.

Whitesox029
04-02-2008, 04:39 PM
For me it loads the window, but all I can see are the top and right-side menus, and the browser perpetually reads "Read gdx.mlb.com"

asg2003ws2005
04-02-2008, 04:47 PM
it thinks i want to use mlb tv premium, but i'm asking for the "normal' feed. it wont let watch ANYTHING

Foulke You
04-02-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm not particularly fond of the new layout on MLB gameday either. I checked it out this afternoon to see what was happening in the Cub/Brewer game and the layout is not as tidy as the old setup. I will say that it seemed to be updating quicker than the old one though.

I want Mags back
04-02-2008, 05:15 PM
works great for me on my Mac :shrug:

voodoochile
04-02-2008, 05:59 PM
works great for me on my Mac :shrug:

Oh good, so people can solve the problem by dropping $1500 on a new computer... There ya go folks...

I want Mags back
04-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Oh good, so people can solve the problem by dropping $1500 on a new computer... There ya go folks...

mine was $999 and came with a nano, thank you very much

RockJock07
04-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Anyone that has Directv, what's the HD channel number for the WCIU? Thank for the help.

chisox06
04-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Mine doesn't work either. Im running Windows 2000, so I cant run silverlight, and when it prompts me to use the "old" version which Im assuming is the same I used last year, their is no link to select it. Extremely frustrating.

voodoochile
04-02-2008, 09:46 PM
mine was $999 and came with a nano, thank you very much

Wow, you just saved me $500, where do I sign up? :tongue:

manders_01
04-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Tried to use the Silverlight tonight and the audio wouldn't even start. I restarted Explorer a few times then finally gave up, uninstalled it and went with the old player.

Whitesox029
04-03-2008, 01:40 AM
Mine doesn't work either. Im running Windows 2000, so I cant run silverlight, and when it prompts me to use the "old" version which Im assuming is the same I used last year, their is no link to select it. Extremely frustrating.
I tried downloading silverlight, and it simply didn't do anything.

Tried to use the Silverlight tonight and the audio wouldn't even start. I restarted Explorer a few times then finally gave up, uninstalled it and went with the old player.
HOW did you select the old player? I would have done that immediately if I'd known how.

BoKnowsBest
04-03-2008, 01:44 AM
I called MLB tech support yesterday about MLBTV premium and the first question they asked when I said I was having problems was if I had installed silverlight. When I said yes, the girl told me to uninstall it because its causing nothing but problems for people. Unfortunately, at least for me, you can't access the higher quality feeds without installing sliverlight, so I gave up, reinstalled it and hoped it was problems on their end, not mine. Thankfully, today I was able to watch 9 different games on either the 1.2mb or 800k feeds, so it appears that they got some of the bugs worked out.