PDA

View Full Version : KC Royals shut out Tigers Game Thread

spawn
04-02-2008, 03:04 PM
They're up 2-0 in the 8th on the Tiggers. Right now, they have runners at 1st and 3rd with no outs. The Tiggers have been held to 2 hits, both by Edgar Renteria. They may come back to win this game, but who would've thought the Tiggers had a chance to lose their opening series to the Royals...at home no less? Is KC's pitching that good, to hold this highly toutes offense to 2 hits???:tongue:

EDIT: They're in the 8th...not the 7th.

gogosox16
04-02-2008, 03:07 PM
They're up 2-0 in the 7th on the Tiggers. Right now, they have runners at 1st and 3rd with no outs. The Tiggers have been held to 2 hits, both by Edgar Renteria. They may come back to win this game, but who would've thought the Tiggers had a chance to lose their opening series to the Royals...at home no less? Is KC's pitching that good, to hold this highly toutes offense to 2 hits???:tongue:
They are hopefully going to suck like the Sox last year, and have no hitting.....be a huge disapointment while the Sox win the Central:bandance:

Huisj
04-02-2008, 03:07 PM
KC strikes them down a lot. KC to Detroit is kind of what Detroit was to the Sox in '03 and '04.

Remember, KC beat up Detroit on the final weekend of the season in '06 to put them in the wild card slot instead of winning the division.

Bill Simonson is going to croak. :D:

Huisj
04-02-2008, 03:11 PM
3-0 now. Zach Minor looks a little wild on gameday.

EDIT: make that 4-0. Teahan just drove in another run, but the inning ended on a play at third.

spawn
04-02-2008, 03:13 PM
3-0 now. Zach Minor looks a little wild on gameday.
4-0 going into the bottom of the 8th.

sox1970
04-02-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm glad the Sox don't play them until June. They'll know how good they are by then.

oeo
04-02-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm glad the Sox don't play them until June. They'll know how good they are by then.

I didn't realize this. That's awkward that they don't play someone in their division for the first two months.

gogosox16
04-02-2008, 03:19 PM
I didn't realize this. That's awkward that they don't play someone in their division for the first two months.
That is strange, so their 2nd half is going to be loaded with KC, another thing wierd about the schedule is back to back weekends we play the Cubs....usually it's beginning and end of the interleague schedule

sox1970
04-02-2008, 03:24 PM
How's this for a strange schedule: The Red Sox make one visit to Cleveland and it's next week for only two games.

The Indians go to Boston once, and it's Sept. 22-25

The Indians play 141 times between games with the Red Sox.

doublem23
04-02-2008, 03:24 PM
I think the Tigers are pressing a bit out of the gate, considering all the lofty expectations that surround them. Hopefully they don't right their ship until after our first 2 series with the Kitties. :cool:

gogosox16
04-02-2008, 03:27 PM
I think the Tigers are pressing a bit out of the gate, considering all the lofty expectations that surround them. Hopefully they don't right their ship until after our first 2 series with the Kitties. :cool:
heck, make it all year that they don't live up to expectations:cool:

oeo
04-02-2008, 03:29 PM

I think the Tigers are *cough* overrated *cough*, but that's just me.

gogosox16
04-02-2008, 03:30 PM
most definately, they got no bulpen what so ever.....and that will kill them. They are the 2007 Sox in the making (hopefully)

kraut83
04-02-2008, 03:34 PM
most definately, they got no bulpen what so ever.....and that will kill them. They are the 2007 Sox in the making (hopefully)

IMO, their rotation after Verlander is questionable as well.

I forsee a lot of 9-7, 10-9 type games from them all year.

doublem23
04-02-2008, 03:35 PM

Me, too, but I'd think that offense should be expected to crank out more than 2 hits against Cy Brian Bannister. :cool:

oeo
04-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Me, too, but I'd think that offense should be expected to crank out more than 2 hits against Cy Brian Bannister. :cool:

We thought the same last year, too. :tongue:

Hokiesox
04-02-2008, 03:39 PM

Maybe they're not being paid enough

gogosox16
04-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Maybe they're not being paid enough
Miguel Cabrera wants more

Jerko
04-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Well they ARE playing without Granderson....

I do agree about their bullpen woes and 2-5 starters though.

oeo
04-02-2008, 03:46 PM

Renteria lead off today, and went 3-for-4. I don't think missing Granderson was the problem today (unless Inge really ****ed one up in center).

And also, that brings up another problem with that team: lack of depth. They currently have Brandon Inge playing CF. I can't imagine what kind of crap they'll throw out there (kind of like us last year), if they have serious injury problems (and with an old team, that's a definite possibility). That team has issues; I can't believe they were picked by a lot of "experts" to not only win the division, but go deep into the playoffs.

TDog
04-02-2008, 03:57 PM
I always enjoy watching the Tigers lose, and that is even truer today because I especially dislike teams that overpay players to long-term contracts because it raises the market value of others, in arbitration if not in free-agency. You would think they would have learned that trying to buy a championship backfires more than it works, but teams still do it.

Optimistic Tigers fans, with their preseason visions of sugarplums still dancing in their heads, will shrug off these two games as an abberation, and I doubt pennant fever has gripped the Royals' loyal fanbase. Still, when White Sox fans were looking at the schedule, some of our pessimistic brethren were saying the Sox could be out of the race by the home opener because of the tough schedule (compounded by the fact that the Tigers were opening against the Royals).

I would be ecstatic if the Tigers went 0-162, if Miguel Cabrera hit .125 for the season, even if his only 81 hits were home runs, but that isn't going to happen. But that isn't going to happen. I believe the Tigers and Indians are overrated and the White Sox aren't as bad as a lot of WSI posters suggest, but it's a long season.

Carolina Kenny
04-02-2008, 04:04 PM
The mighty Detriot Tigers with "the best lineup in baseball history" just got shut out by the lowely Tigers. Renteria the only Tiger to get a hit.

Bannister, son of Floyd was the man today.

Scottiehaswheels
04-02-2008, 04:05 PM
So.. they shut themselves out? :cool:

Mr.1Dog
04-02-2008, 04:05 PM
The mighty Detriot Tigers with "the best lineup in baseball history" just got shut out by the lowely Tigers. Renteria the only Tiger to get a hit.

Bannister, son of Floyd was the man today.

Royals buddy.

spawn
04-02-2008, 04:06 PM
The Tigers remind me of the Cubs...A good offense, but iffy starting pitching after the #1...The Cubs do have a decent bullpen, but both teams have shaky closers.

Over By There
04-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Funny how fast the "OMG, just give the Tigers the World Series trophy now and dismantle the White Sox!" sentiment has dissipated around these parts. :?:

Carolina Kenny
04-02-2008, 04:13 PM

I do agree about their bullpen woes and 2-5 starters though.

Interesting that Brandon Inge started in center today. I wonder if has any expeience there. (do you think he is better than Swisher in CF?)

PorkChopExpress
04-02-2008, 04:15 PM

It's actually kind of strange how they have mimicked the Sox in results:

2005 Sox Win WS despite low expectations from "experts"
2006 Detroit makes WS despite low expectations from "experts," Sox underperform despite addition of big bat (Thome) and miss out on wild card.
2007 Detroit underperforms despite addition of big bat (Sheffield) and missout on wild card, White Sox play terribly despite higher expectations.
2008 Detroit plays terribly despite higher expectations. Sox win WS.

spiffie
04-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Funny how fast the "OMG, just give the Tigers the World Series trophy now and dismantle the White Sox!" sentiment has dissipated around these parts. :?:
Eh, I've always had them pegged for second. This is the Toons division to lose.

JGarlandrules20
04-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Awesome outing from Bannister. I think he'll be great for KC this season. He was really solid for them in the rotation last season, even came in 3rd for ROY.

The Royals have kind of become my second team [which I know is bad since they're in the division but their young guys are fun to watch!] and I really think they'll be competitive this year.

palehozenychicty
04-02-2008, 04:35 PM

Hey, Bannister would round out our rotation quite nicely. He did a solid job in his short term with the Metropolitans as well until he hurt his hamstring.

Railsplitter
04-02-2008, 10:00 PM
I shudder at the prospect of the Sox being two games behind the Royals