PDA

View Full Version : Take Advantage of Cuban Connections

Carolina Kenny
04-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Starting way back with Minnie Minoso, the Sox have had strong Cuban roots.

I hope Alexi has the opportunity to speak with Minnie and learns to love the Sox like Minnie does.

With cell phones, DVD's and TV's Cuba is slowly changing. Raul is already 76 years old.

There is no reason why Cuba could not develop talent as good as the DR.

I hope the Sox are visionaries in this regard.

esbrechtel
04-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Why post this in WTS? This is about a current and former white sox players and is not a trade rumor....I think this could be clubhouse material plus it brings up an interesting discussion

Heffalump
04-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Starting way back with Minnie Minoso, the Sox have had strong Cuban roots.

I hope Alexi has the opportunity to speak with Minnie and learns to love the Sox like Minnie does.

With cell phones, DVD's and TV's Cuba is slowly changing. Raul is already 76 years old.

There is no reason why Cuba could not develop talent as good as the DR.

I hope the Sox are visionaries in this regard.

That's great. I love Minnie, but he is not exactly the most competent guy out there. Basically he just smiles, shakes hands, and signs autographs. What is he gonna tell Alexei that would be helpful in today's complex world of million dollar athletes?

Yes, Cuba is slowly changing. But there is a big difference between allowing citizens to have a cell phone and letting them leave the island whenever they want. Slow down there skipper!

Just not really sure what you are trying to accomplish with this thread.

doublem23
04-02-2008, 01:03 PM
The only way Cuban players are ever going to develop like Domincan players do is if MLB teams are allowed to get in their, open up schools/training academies, and sign young players to deals that would bring them to the United States. The Cuban Leagues will only get you so far.

jabrch
04-02-2008, 01:18 PM
There's no reason we shouldn't leverage our recent and historic experience with Cuban ball players as well as our city's strong Cuban/Latino presence and our strong fan support from latinos.

At the same time, given our climate, I'd be surprised if a lot of Cuban ballplayers would want to play in Chicago.

Tekijawa
04-02-2008, 01:55 PM
How can I use Minnie to buy land over there? Those are the connections I'd like to take advantage of!

WhiteSox5187
04-02-2008, 03:11 PM
In terms of sheer raw talent I'd argue that Cuba has as much as the DR, but in terms of developed talent the DR leads Cuba simply because clubs are allowed to go over there and establish acadamies. In a few years that will be allowed in Cuba too I'm willing to bet, but that is a discussion for PI not WTS!

Carolina Kenny
04-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Why post this in WTS? This is about a current and former white sox players and is not a trade rumor....I think this could be clubhouse material plus it brings up an interesting discussion

I thought the clubhouse was only for serious discussions. Like why Brian Anderson should start in CF, or why Uribe is our starting 2nd baseman.

Seriously though, I try to stay away from the Clubhouse as those guys can really be serious and are way too smart for me.

I understand that Cuba is still several years away from the types of freedom that we oftentimes take too much for granted. However, I do think that the Cuban March For Freedom For The People has started. I look forward to the day when I can vacation in Cuba.

I would love to buy some prime beach real estate there. Also just think about all the old cars you could buy dirt cheap and then restore.

pdimas
04-02-2008, 04:58 PM
I thought the clubhouse was only for serious discussions. Like why Brian Anderson should start in CF, or why Uribe is our starting 2nd baseman.

Seriously though, I try to stay away from the Clubhouse as those guys can really be serious and are way too smart for me.

I understand that Cuba is still several years away from the types of freedom that we oftentimes take too much for granted. However, I do think that the Cuban March For Freedom For The People has started. I look forward to the day when I can vacation in Cuba.

I would love to buy some prime beach real estate there. Also just think about all the old cars you could buy dirt cheap and then restore.

Beautiful country. I went there as a Mexican citizen. We visited Havana and Varadero. Lots of canadian and european tourists there. Kind of crazy to see soldiers everywhere and signs still advertising the revolution. One sign I saw said "Revolution in every neighborhood!".

SoxNation05
04-02-2008, 05:02 PM
How can I use Minnie to buy land over there? Those are the connections I'd like to take advantage of!
or Cigars?