PDA

View Full Version : Third base coach ejected for being out of coach's box!

Nellie_Fox
04-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Okay, I've never seen this one before. I was watching the Dodgers/Giants game. In the sixth inning, Larry Bowa was coaching third, and was standing well outside the box, probably fifteen feet toward home. Third base umpire Ed Montague starts pointing into the coach's box, telling Bowa to get inside the box.

Of course, Bowa being Bowa, he refuses. You can see that he's saying that he can't do his job from there. Montague walks toward him, pointing into the box, telling him to get in. Bowa continues to refuse, so Montague ejects him.

You can imagine the epic meltdown. Bowa had to be physically restrained. Now, I've watched a lot of baseball in my lifetime, and I don't ever remember seeing a coach even warned about that before, much less ejected for it. I suppose it could be because it's Bowa, and other coaches just move back in when told to do so.

WhiteSox5187
04-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Well, I'm willing to bet that Bowa was probably giving the ump a little bit of the ear all day...but I think MLB is trying to get the coaches to stand in the box this year in the wake of that guy (his name escapes me) getting killed on the line drive in the minors, just like the new helmets they have the coaches wearing (which Bowa also protested fiercely). But THAT is a silly reason to eject a coach, the ump was probably trying to get himself on SportsCenter or something. Awful call. I'm not sure I've ever seen a coach within the coach's box.

It's Dankerific
04-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Well, I'm willing to bet that Bowa was probably giving the ump a little bit of the ear all day...but I think MLB is trying to get the coaches to stand in the box this year in the wake of that guy (his name escapes me) getting killed on the line drive in the minors, just like the new helmets they have the coaches wearing (which Bowa also protested fiercely). But THAT is a silly reason to eject a coach, the ump was probably trying to get himself on SportsCenter or something. Awful call. I'm not sure I've ever seen a coach within the coach's box.

I didn't think umpires worked multiple series at once!

MisterB
04-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Okay, I've never seen this one before. I was watching the Dodgers/Giants game. In the sixth inning, Larry Bowa was coaching third, and was standing well outside the box, probably fifteen feet toward home. Third base umpire Ed Montague starts pointing into the coach's box, telling Bowa to get inside the box.

Of course, Bowa being Bowa, he refuses. You can see that he's saying that he can't do his job from there. Montague walks toward him, pointing into the box, telling him to get in. Bowa continues to refuse, so Montague ejects him.

You can imagine the epic meltdown. Bowa had to be physically restrained. Now, I've watched a lot of baseball in my lifetime, and I don't ever remember seeing a coach even warned about that before, much less ejected for it. I suppose it could be because it's Bowa, and other coaches just move back in when told to do so.

I think in the name of safety (due to the Mike Coolbaugh incident last year) the umps have been asked to make sure the coaches stay in the coach's box. It goes hand-in-hand with the coaches wearing batting helmets while on the field.

WhiteSox5187
04-02-2008, 12:09 AM
I didn't think umpires worked multiple series at once!
:?:

I want Mags back
04-02-2008, 12:30 AM
:?:

basically hes saying all umps suck

FedEx227
04-02-2008, 12:35 AM
That's a joke. I was at Spring Training in Peoria a few weeks ago and Baines was way out of the box, a fan a few rows in front of me yells "SHOULDN'T HE BE IN THE BOX BLUE?". It was a dull point in the game so the ump turns and says "No, it really doesn't matter."

And this is what I assumed to be a major league umpire, sounds like it was just a thing of Bowa giving him crap all game and then refusing to listen to his orders.

Railsplitter
04-02-2008, 06:16 AM
That's a joke. I was at Spring Training in Peoria a few weeks ago and Baines was way out of the box, a fan a few rows in front of me yells "SHOULDN'T HE BE IN THE BOX BLUE?". It was a dull point in the game so the ump turns and says "No, it really doesn't matter."

And this is what I assumed to be a major league umpire, sounds like it was just a thing of Bowa giving him crap all game and then refusing to listen to his orders. Obviously, that ump wasn't doing the game where Bowa got tossed.

DumpJerry
04-02-2008, 07:01 AM
This is a new rule MLB implemented this year. I heard them discussing it on the radio during ST.

Hokiesox
04-02-2008, 09:15 AM
The rule had been enforced this way:

If he's not bothering you, and doesn't hinder the game...who cares where he's standing? If he's giving you (the ump) grief...tell him to stand in the box. When he doesn't after repeated warnings, eject him.

I haven't heard about the safety rules, but they sound excellent. Good for MLB.

Madscout
04-02-2008, 09:24 AM
The rule had been enforced this way:

If he's not bothering you, and doesn't hinder the game...who cares where he's standing? If he's giving you (the ump) grief...tell him to stand in the box. When he doesn't after repeated warnings, eject him.

I haven't heard about the safety rules, but they sound excellent. Good for MLB.

Word. If an ump tells you to do something as simple as where to stand, you do it. Sounds like this guy just got ejected for being an *******.

TomC727
04-02-2008, 10:14 AM
This thing with the ump may be just stricter inforcement from the minor league coach being killed, along with the helmets.

I don't know if any of you know this but the minor league coach was hit with the linedrive in the back of the neck, severing an artery and killing him instantly. A helmet would not have mattered.

I don't like MLB making the helmets mandatory. I think it is reactionary and they should have made it a suggestion for the coaches, not mandatory.

AZChiSoxFan
04-03-2008, 09:47 AM
I think in the name of safety (due to the Mike Coolbaugh incident last year) the umps have been asked to make sure the coaches stay in the coach's box. It goes hand-in-hand with the coaches wearing batting helmets while on the field.

I don't want this to be political and thus get it sent to the roadhouse (along with some nice time off from WSI for me) but I have to say that this is just so typical of our society these days. Baseball has been played in this country for over 100 years now and one guy died due to a FREAK accident. Naturally, we have to have all of these new rules. :rolleyes: Freak accidents happen in life. Why is it necessary to always try and legislate against freak accidents?

Here's to Bowa. :gulp:

Nellie_Fox
04-03-2008, 11:42 AM
I don't want this to be political and thus get it sent to the roadhouse (along with some nice time off from WSI for me) but I have to say that this is just so typical of our society these days. Baseball has been played in this country for over 100 years now and one guy died due to a FREAK accident. Naturally, we have to have all of these new rules. :rolleyes: Freak accidents happen in life. Why is it necessary to always try and legislate against freak accidents?

Here's to Bowa. :gulp:Well, being in the coach's box is not a new rule, they're just deciding to enforce an old rule that they've ignored for a long time. The only new rule is the helmet requirement.

As for drinking to Bowa, what was the umpire to do once he told Bowa to get in the box and Bowa refused?

AZChiSoxFan
04-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Well, being in the coach's box is not a new rule, they're just deciding to enforce an old rule that they've ignored for a long time. The only new rule is the helmet requirement.

As for drinking to Bowa, what was the umpire to do once he told Bowa to get in the box and Bowa refused?

I'm simply stating that I agree with Bowa that it's stupid to start enforcing the rule now.

To answer your question, Bowa stated that he didn't do anything differently in this game (regarding where he stood) that he had done all of spring training. According to Bowa, no umpire said one word to him in all of ST regarding where he stood. Too many baseball umps are getting to be like NBA refs where they think the game is about them and they look for fights to pick.

JohnTucker0814
04-03-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm simply stating that I agree with Bowa that it's stupid to start enforcing the rule now.

To answer your question, Bowa stated that he didn't do anything differently in this game (regarding where he stood) that he had done all of spring training. According to Bowa, no umpire said one word to him in all of ST regarding where he stood. Too many baseball umps are getting to be like NBA refs where they think the game is about them and they look for fights to pick.

What would have been stupid was to start enforcing the rule without prior warning in the off-season, without warning of him more than once to get back into his coaches box.

I have no fault in the umpire during this... he simply asked Bowa to move back to his coaches box and Bowa has to big of an ego... "because I've been in this game way too long" to be TOLD what to do by an umpire. Bowa seems like an ass!

DumpJerry
04-03-2008, 02:32 PM

I'm dubious about Bowa's claim of ignorance. I read in the newspaper before OD that they were going to be enforcing the rule. This tells me that the teams were told directly by MLB they would be enforcing the rule and I would think it would not be too difficult for the team to tell their Third Base Coach what the new routine would be. It's not like they have to tell 20 guys on the team the new paradigm, there's only one Third Base coach per team!

TornLabrum
04-03-2008, 10:01 PM
The rule was (not surprisingly) first instituted because of John McGraw. He would leave the coaching area to grab runners' belt buckles, etc. I knew it was going to be (finally) enforced before it started. Bowa is an ass.

Frontman
04-03-2008, 11:31 PM

So, because they didn't enforce it before, they shouldn't enforce it now?

BRING ON THE STEROIDS!!!!

I'm sure Bowa isn't the only guy to disagree with the rule; but he's the first to make himself look like a moron in protest over it.

fquaye149
04-03-2008, 11:56 PM
So, because they didn't enforce it before, they shouldn't enforce it now?

BRING ON THE STEROIDS!!!!

I'm sure Bowa isn't the only guy to disagree with the rule; but he's the first to make himself look like a moron in protest over it.

The balk would be a better parallel for those who don't want to sensationalize a non-issue

Trav
04-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Bowa is an ass and has always been one. MLB decide to enforce the safety of the coaches by making them wear helmets. Why wouldn't they eject a coach for refusing to get in the box? As silly as it is, it is a rule. It is hard to argue that.

Frontman
04-04-2008, 06:37 AM
The balk would be a better parallel for those who don't want to sensationalize a non-issue

You mean like Bowa did? Because he certainly brought attention to a non-issue.

fquaye149
04-04-2008, 07:58 AM
You mean like Bowa did? Because he certainly brought attention to a non-issue.

sure. bowa's a jackass. We all agree.

But the league deciding to enforce THIS now isn't like them deciding to enforce steroids.

Most likely this had little to do with the league and more to do with the ump having an easy excuse to toss an *******

Hokiesox
04-04-2008, 08:01 AM

But the league deciding to enforce THIS now isn't like them deciding to enforce steroids.

Most likely this had little to do with the league and more to do with the ump having an easy excuse to toss an *******

We umps have all the excuses we need in our back pockets to toss jerks . And when we feel like it, we use them. It's just not very often.

AZChiSoxFan
04-04-2008, 09:11 AM
I would suspend Bowa 50 games and if he does it again give him a year off to think about it.

MLB doesn't need a third base coach acting like a complete ass on the field.

:rolleyes:

But you're fine with certain umps acting like asses on the field and thinking that the game is about them? Stay behind the plate and call balls and strikes.

santo=dorf
04-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Those groundskeepers work hard to naturally keep those boxes in the best shape possible.

Baseball has an image and integrity to protect, so I'm glad they are enforcing a suspension.

Frontman
04-04-2008, 05:35 PM

You are aware that teal is the color of sarcasm, right?

My point being is that rules change or how rules are enforced changes over time. This is the first year they are cracking down on the coaching box rule. Sure, there will be a bit of "growing pains" but Bowa blew this way, way out of proportion.

Like sarcastically saying they should ignore steroid rules.

Sox
04-04-2008, 06:03 PM
I would suspend Bowa 50 games and if he does it again give him a year off to think about it.

MLB doesn't need a third base coach acting like a complete ass on the field.

Put your helmet on Larry and follow what the ump tells you to do.

That's pretty harsh isn't it? I agree Larry should have been tossed but it's not like with the old rule being enforced now I guess that he is a habitual repeat offender. 50 games? Thats harsh for one infraction......IMO Thats like having your drivers license suspended for a speeding ticket for a year.....

fquaye149
04-04-2008, 06:05 PM
You are aware that teal is the color of sarcasm, right?

My point being is that rules change or how rules are enforced changes over time. This is the first year they are cracking down on the coaching box rule. Sure, there will be a bit of "growing pains" but Bowa blew this way, way out of proportion.

Like sarcastically saying they should ignore steroid rules.

Attaching the label "sarcasm" to something doesn't mean the irony you intended is well-applied.

fquaye149
04-04-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm responding to Bowa's actions on the field the other day and one thing I know for sure is that Bowa acted like a complete ass in that situation.

If Bowa has a problem with excepting MLB's rules and the umpire's authority to enforce them I think he should consider looking for a new career.

You know who should have been banned from the game? Billy Martin. That ****er should have found a new career.

Bobby Cox too. That guy has been ejected more than any manager in baseball history. You'd think he'd have learned his lesson, that classless ********.

Look--Bowa's a jerk. But then again so are many baseball managers. Jawing at the ump is part of the game. Unless he goes over the line and shoves someone or puts on a fake mustache there is absolutely no call for suspending a manager or coach for getting in an ump's face

Nellie_Fox
04-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Unless he goes over the line and shoves someone or puts on a fake mustache there is absolutely no call for suspending a manager or coach for getting in an ump's faceHave you seen the video? He knocks Torre (who came out to try to control Bowa) into the ump several times.

Sox
04-04-2008, 11:48 PM
I didn't get a chance to see the video but if he did what you say he did from the video then some form of punishment needs to be decided upon.

FarWestChicago
04-05-2008, 06:26 AM
Have you seen the video? He knocks Torre (who came out to try to control Bowa) into the ump several times.Well, there is no need to let facts get in the way of a perfectly good rant. :redneck

fquaye149
04-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Have you seen the video? He knocks Torre (who came out to try to control Bowa) into the ump several times.

Well, there is no need to let facts get in the way of a perfectly good rant. :redneck

That happens quite a bit in baseball and no one gets suspended (See Milton Bradley v. Umpire last year).

Did he deliberately shove Torre into the ump?

FarWestChicago
04-05-2008, 07:49 AM
That happens quite a bit in baseball and no one gets suspended (See Milton Bradley v. Umpire last year).

Did he deliberately shove Torre into the ump?Find a better cause. You know, something real to worry about. Nobody gives a **** about Larry Bowa. Pick your battles. You'll die young if you continue to fight every one. :nod:

fquaye149
04-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Find a better cause. You know, something real to worry about. Nobody gives a **** about Larry Bowa. Pick your battles. You'll die young if you continue to fight every one. :nod:

50 game suspension?

You're right though....I need to develop a more mellow approach to argumentation--perhaps I'll follow your model:redneck

For the record, I don't much care FOR Bowa, I just really hate the self-aggrandizing umps that seem to populate MLB

chaerulez
04-05-2008, 10:23 AM

Here's to Bowa. :gulp:

I agree will all this. Especially that helmet rule. If someone wants to take the 0.000000000001 percent chance they will die from a ball, I think they should be able to refuse the helmet. Like you said it's a freak accident. I say you have as much chance of dying as a third base coach from that as a taxi driver has from a car accident or a bank teller does from a robbery.

FarWestChicago
04-05-2008, 03:03 PM
For the record, I don't much care FOR Bowa, I just really hate the self-aggrandizing umps that seem to populate MLBNow that I agree with. :yup:

Nellie_Fox
04-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Did he deliberately shove Torre into the ump?How the hell would I know what his intention was?

I just really hate the self-aggrandizing umps that seem to populate MLBYou still haven't answered whether you saw the incident or not. It seems like you are assuming what happened and reacting to your assumption.

I saw it live, and several times on replay. Montague was very low key. He was just saying something to Bowa and pointing toward the box. Not gesturing, just pointing. When Bowa refused, Montague just sort of wandered toward the box, pointing toward it and saying something else. Bowa still refused. Then Montague walked alongside of Bowa, gesturing toward the dugout with an underhanded movement. I couldn't even tell Bowa had been ejected until he went nuts. There was no big, overhand "you're out of here" gesture or anything like that.

It looked far more like a "c'mon Larry, don't make a big deal out of this" kind of event than an "I'm in charge here" kind of incident.

fquaye149
04-05-2008, 07:27 PM
i didn't see it. I thought that was pretty clear.

I just assume the worst about umps (even if Bowa's involved). I guess being a Sox fan will do that to ya :shrug:

fquaye149
04-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Now that I agree with. :yup:

:hug: