PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Giles anyone?

cbrownson13
04-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Saw on rotoworld that Giles was on his way to his assignment with the Dodgers AAA team and decided he didn't want to do it. Supposedly he is considering retirement.

With Uribe showing us nothing the past few years and not really showing improvement this Spring, as well as Richar being unproven and hurt, should we consider brining this guy in?

pierzynski07
04-01-2008, 11:26 PM
You'd have to guarantee a roster spot, since he doesn't want to play in the minors, and his skills have declined quickly.

JB98
04-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Pass.

When guys like this get cut, it is for good reason.

WhiteSox5187
04-01-2008, 11:56 PM
It's been one game. I'm not really willing to make any changes to the roster right now.

ksimpson14
04-02-2008, 12:17 AM
For some reason, he's always screamed 'steroids' to me. Same with his brother

FedEx227
04-02-2008, 01:58 AM
He's always screamed "worthless" to me.

Please pass.

thomas35forever
04-02-2008, 11:57 AM
He had a couple of good years, but he just proved they were over his head. We have so many options at second base, so why waste our time?

Craig Grebeck
04-02-2008, 12:11 PM
He had a couple of good years, but he just proved they were over his head. We have so many options at second base, so why waste our time?
Having options doesn't mean they're good ones.

ChiTownTrojan
04-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Having options doesn't mean they're good ones.
With so many options, there's a better chance that at least one of them will step up and be a solid contributor. They also push each other to go out and perform each day.

Domeshot17
04-02-2008, 12:15 PM
we have 3 2b better than him, why would we want to get him?

gogosox16
04-02-2008, 12:16 PM
With so many options, there's a better chance that at least one of them will step up and be a solid contributor. They also push each other to go out and perform each day.
Didn't help push Uribe, looked like the same wild swinger who can do anything right at the plate.

ChiTownTrojan
04-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Didn't help push Uribe, looked like the same wild swinger who can do anything right at the plate.
you're going to judge him by one game?

gogosox16
04-02-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm basing on it from the last 2 years and the one game......he looks even more out of shape and he always has good springs and then sucks.

voodoochile
04-02-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm basing on it from the last 2 years and the one game......he looks even more out of shape and he always has good springs and then sucks.

What? I think it's pretty obvious that Uribe is in much better shape at the moment than he was most of last year. Take another look but first put down the haterade.

FedEx227
04-02-2008, 12:39 PM

Haha... except that is how Uribe has looked at the plate the past 2-3 years. It's not as if a game where Uribe had no clue how to bunt and swung at every single high fastball is far off from his norm.

gogosox16
04-02-2008, 12:39 PM
What? I think it's pretty obvious that Uribe is in much better shape at the moment than he was most of last year. Take another look but first put down the haterade.
He looks fatter to me, and I can put down the hatorade when he sucks

kittle42
04-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Over/under on how many "do we want this crappy guy Team X waived/DFA'd" threads before the end of April?

By the way, the answer to the question posed by these threads is always no.

Tragg
04-02-2008, 12:57 PM
No - we don't need to add bad veterans to this team.

palehozenychicty
04-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Haha... except that is how Uribe has looked at the plate the past 2-3 years. It's not as if a game where Uribe had no clue how to bunt and swung at every single high fastball is far off from his norm.

It is unbelieveable how some people here overlook the incompetence of Juan Uribe. They had a stat yesterday on SI where he has made over 3,000 at-bats without reaching a .300 OBP for his career! :o:

Yes, he has made some unreal defensive plays over the years, but this guy does not deserve a starting spot on any MLB team.

linkee (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/tom_verducci/04/01/verducci.predictions/1.html)

gogosox16
04-02-2008, 01:09 PM
It is unbelieveable how some people here overlook the incompetence of Juan Uribe. They had a stat yesterday on SI where he has made over 3,000 at-bats without reaching a .300 OBP for his career! :o:

Yes, he has made some unreal defensive plays over the years, but this guy does not deserve a starting spot on any MLB team.

linkee (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/tom_verducci/04/01/verducci.predictions/1.html)
That is absolutely pathetic, I am 16 and I could probably have a .300 OBP......all I have to do is don't swing cause I would have a small strike zone and I wouldn't swing at pitches way over my head and way outside like Uribe

Tragg
04-02-2008, 01:10 PM
I

Uribe can be justified as a SS.
But his O is unjustifiable for a 2b - except to Ozzie who loves players who hit as badly as he hit.

cbrownson13
04-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Career Stats:

Player A: .277AVG, .353OBP, .317SLG, .782OPS
Player B: .254AVG, .295OBP, .500SLG, .722OPS

Player B is obviously Uribe. I am not suggesting that we bring in Giles and assume he is going to be a stud. But he's an improvement over what we currently have and he isn't as old as people may think. Only 30. (Uribe is 29)

Giles also has a better career fielding percentage.

gogosox16
04-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Career Stats:

Player A: .277AVG, .353OBP, .317SLG, .782OPS
Player B: .254AVG, .295OBP, .500SLG, .722OPS

Player B is obviously Uribe. I am not suggesting that we bring in Giles and assume he is going to be a stud. But he's an improvement over what we currently have and he isn't as old as people may think. Only 30. (Uribe is 29)

Giles also has a better career fielding percentage.
thanks, but I would rather let Alexei and Danny (when healthy) get the playing time.

WhiteSox5187
04-02-2008, 03:06 PM
thanks, but I would rather let Alexei and Danny (when healthy) get the playing time.
I agree, Giles has put some good numbers earlier in his career but he was let go of for a reason and I think last year he wound up hitting something like .224 with a .304OBP...Uribe could put up those numbers. Juan had a better average and SLG last year. Uribe is capable of putting up Giles' like numbers now.

voodoochile
04-02-2008, 03:23 PM
That is absolutely pathetic, I am 16 and I could probably have a .300 OBP......all I have to do is don't swing cause I would have a small strike zone and I wouldn't swing at pitches way over my head and way outside like Uribe

more blatant nonsense.

Uribe brings solid defense and some pop. He had a great Spring Training - something you deny (proving once again you are nothing but a hater) and though he struggled against CC early in the game, he almost had the key hit of the game before the game got a little crazy.

Like it or not, he's going to be starting for a while at least. Maybe you should open your eyes and try an objective evaluation of what is going on. Your statements about his physical condition and Spring Training numbers aren't bolstering your argument, merely making you look biased.

gogosox16
04-02-2008, 03:25 PM
more blatant nonsense.

Uribe brings solid defense and some pop. He had a great Spring Training - something you deny (proving once again you are nothing but a hater) and though he struggled against CC early in the game, he almost had the key hit of the game before the game got a little crazy.

Like it or not, he's going to be starting for a while at least. Maybe you should open your eyes and try an objective evaluation of what is going on. Your statements about his physical condition and Spring Training numbers aren't bolstering your argument, merely making you look biased.
I will straight out and say that I'm a hater of Juan Uribe....He sucks and we need to give Alexei and Danny (when healthy) the opportunity to play 2nd.

Yes, he almost had the key hit of the game, but that was after he failed to do his job in the first place....he was suppose to bunt to get Crede to 3rd, but he couldn't do his job.

voodoochile
04-02-2008, 03:32 PM
I will straight out and say that I'm a hater of Juan Uribe....He sucks and we need to give Alexei and Danny (when healthy) the opportunity to play 2nd.

Yes, he almost had the key hit of the game, but that was after he failed to do his job in the first place....he was suppose to bunt to get Crede to 3rd, but he couldn't do his job.

**** happens, bunting woes and the White Sox are hardly a new issue. Also, do we know for a fact that Ozzie called for the bunt or was Juan improvising? If so, why'd they then take the bunt off? He only had one strike on him.

I want to see Richar at 2nd too. I'd prefer Ramirez stay where he is unless he can't handle the pitching then he should be sent down. He wasn't a good defensive 2B in ST that much is obvious. At least in the outfield his speed will give him a chance to make up for his mistakes.

However, if BA deserves a chance in CF because of his ST numbers then Uribe deserves a chance at 2nd at least until Richar comes back.

gogosox16
04-02-2008, 03:36 PM
**** happens, bunting woes and the White Sox are hardly a new issue. Also, do we know for a fact that Ozzie called for the bunt or was Juan improvising? If so, why'd they then take the bunt off? He only had one strike on him.

I want to see Richar at 2nd too. I'd prefer Ramirez stay where he is unless he can't handle the pitching then he should be sent down. He wasn't a good defensive 2B in ST that much is obvious. At least in the outfield his speed will give him a chance to make up for his mistakes.

However, if BA deserves a chance in CF because of his ST numbers then Uribe deserves a chance at 2nd at least until Richar comes back.
Everything you said is correct here, I shouldn't make such a big deal over a miss bunt, because we have never been able to bunt really. I never saw Alexei at 2nd so I don't know but I want Danny at 2nd over Uribe