PDA

View Full Version : I'm watching Jon Garland right now

DumpJerry
04-01-2008, 10:36 PM
He's in the 8th in the Humpdome and is killing the Twinks 7-1.

Directv 641, FSN North (it's the Twins' broadcast).

Madscout
04-01-2008, 10:38 PM
7 IP 5 H 1R 1 ER 1 BB 0 K

Sinker looks great. Great location for a first start. Under 90 pitches through 7.

DumpJerry
04-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Done with the 8th. 6 hits for the Twinks. The Twins announcers are very impressed with him. They keep mentioning his back to back 18 win seasons with the Sox and how frustrating last year was for Garland "and the whole Sox organization." They feel the move to Southern California will do wonders for Garland.

champagne030
04-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Under 90 pitches through 7. I quit watching after the 6th, but he only had 68 at that point.

DumpJerry
04-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Juan Rincon's first pitch of the game just hit Torriiii on the wrist.

Welcome home.

JermaineDye05
04-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Jon has always had a pretty good career against the Twinks. I agree with the Twins announcers that the move to Cali will do wonders for his career. I think the same goes for the move to Chicago for Swisher.

DumpJerry
04-01-2008, 10:49 PM
I know it's just one game, but the Twins' pitching and infield defense is horrendous tonight.

Madscout
04-01-2008, 10:54 PM
That botched throw at 2nd what you are talkin' about? Not a very impressive view of thier middle infield d.

Lip Man 1
04-01-2008, 10:54 PM
The question with Jon is will he still be with the Angels next season? Which I guess, is why the Sox moved him when they did instead of trying to work out an extension at today's prices.

Oh well.

Lip

DumpJerry
04-01-2008, 10:56 PM
That botched throw at 2nd what you are talkin' about? Not a very impressive view of thier middle infield d.
Several plays. They have two charged errors for the game, but I saw some others that would have mad me :angry: if the Sox did the plays (it's mid 9th now, so the Twins won't be back on the field unless there is a miracle).

JermaineDye05
04-01-2008, 10:57 PM
The question with Jon is will he still be with the Angels next season? Which I guess, is why the Sox moved him when they did instead of trying to work out an extension at today's prices.

Oh well.

Lip

I'm sure he will be an Angel, they have the money to sign him and it's close to home. However the Yanks could offer him a ridiculous contract.

JGarlandrules20
04-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Aw, I was hoping he could go for the complete game! :(:

DumpJerry
Well, a rookie, Darren O'Day, is now pitching the 9th for The Halos. Made his MLB debut last night.

gogosox16
I'm sure he will be an Angel, they have the money to sign him and it's close to home. However the Yanks could offer him a ridiculous contract.
Yes the Angels could do that, but don't they have a couple of young starting prospects who are suppose to be the real deal?

Madscout
04-01-2008, 11:00 PM

When you pay the money they pay and Cheng-Ming Wang is their "ace"...yeah, they would do it in a heartbeat.

ChiSoxGirl
04-01-2008, 11:02 PM
7 IP 5 H 1R 1 ER 1 BB 0 K

Sinker looks great. Great location for a first start. Under 90 pitches through 7.

Done with the 8th. 6 hits for the Twinks. The Twins announcers are very impressed with him. They keep mentioning his back to back 18 win seasons with the Sox and how frustrating last year was for Garland "and the whole Sox organization." They feel the move to Southern California will do wonders for Garland.

I think I feel sick. Damn, is he going to be missed in our rotation!

champagne030
04-01-2008, 11:03 PM

Oh well.

Lip

Will Cabrera be with the Sox next year? I'd take that trade back in a heartbeat and it's got nothing to do with yesterday. We're going to miss pitching more than anything this year.

gogosox16
04-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Will Cabrera be with the Sox next year? I'd take that trade back in a heartbeat and it's got nothing to do with yesterday. We're going to miss pitching more than anything this year.
I actually like the trade because, it filled up the huge mess Uribe made at short, and also it gave another young guy have an opportunity to pitch.....yes he will be missed but I see it a win-win situation for both teams

DumpJerry
04-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Maybe a mid-season trade of Uribe for Garland?

If that happened, the Angels will institute daily drug testing for its front office staff.

Brian26
04-01-2008, 11:14 PM
The Angels get Lindsay Soto.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z55/daynperry/carolynhughes_010.jpg

We get Chuck Garfien.

http://chicago.comcastsportsnet.com/images/content/extra/chuck.jpg

sullythered
04-01-2008, 11:28 PM
I was for the trade when it went down (sort of). But in retrospect, I'd rather still have Jon this season. Especially if Ramirez shows some worth. I don't discount what Cabrera is gonna bring to the table this season, mind you. I already like the fire he showed in our first game (yeah yeah "the fire and the passion").

chisoxmike
04-01-2008, 11:31 PM
We're going to miss Jon. A lot.

doublem23
04-01-2008, 11:33 PM

The Yankees are unloading some dead money from their payroll after this season, so I'm pretty sure any player scheduled to hit the market this winter who has an agent with a brain will be advising them to test the waters.

Lip Man 1
04-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Champagne:

Solid point, however the price to retain Garland was (is) going to be astronomical compared to Cabrera.

Not disagreeing with you in the slightest...pitching wins pennants but if you have 2/3rd's of the payroll tied up in starting pitching you're not going to win much anyway because you can't surround them with anything.

If it was up to me, I'd sign all the top pitchers and take my chances but I'm not Kenny and I don't know what his budget is.

Lip

JB98
04-01-2008, 11:38 PM
We're going to miss Garland a lot, even though Cabrera will help us. When Jon got traded, I comforted myself by saying, "At least Uribe will be gone."

Now, we don't have Garland, and we still have Uribe in the everyday lineup. :mad:

Tragg
04-01-2008, 11:42 PM
We're going to miss Garland a lot, even though Cabrera will help us. When Jon got traded, I comforted myself by saying, "At least Uribe will be gone."

Now, we don't have Garland, and we still have Uribe in the everyday lineup. :mad:

The draft choices are the only thing that make that trade make sense. And indeed, when you downgrade 2B so signficantly with Uribe, it makes it seem worse than it is.
Letting Ozzie let loose of a 34 year old SS so we can get those choices will be another matter.

ksimpson14
04-01-2008, 11:42 PM
I was depressed watching this game, I will miss Jon. He really liked the city & fans, I won't forget him defending the fans on an ESPN interview when the douchebag host tried to rip attendance for some April game against a scrub team

WhiteSox5187
04-02-2008, 12:12 AM
I miss Jon too. I'm sure he's going to re-sign with Anaheim, but if he doesn't, I wouldn't mind at least making him an offer. I'm sure he's going to command more on the market than we are willing to give.

Boondock Saint
04-02-2008, 12:47 AM
Jon's finally in a stadium that suits his pitching style, and I couldn't be happier for him. Barring any injuries, he's gonna come out of this season looking like a stud.

kittle42
04-02-2008, 01:37 AM
I'm sure he's going to command more on the market than we are willing to give.

Ah, the sad realities of White Sox baseball.

Optipessimism
04-02-2008, 01:40 AM

We get Chuck Garfien.

Spank the rally monkey.

Optipessimism
04-02-2008, 01:43 AM
Yes the Angels could do that, but don't they have a couple of young starting prospects who are suppose to be the real deal?
They also have Andy Pettite and Mike Mussina in their rotation. Garland is better than either, and actually he'd be a great investment. With a young starting staff like that they'll need a young, mostly injury-free, veteran innings eater that can win you ballgames as a #3.

It's Dankerific
04-02-2008, 02:32 AM
I miss Jon too. I'm sure he's going to command more on the market than we are willing to give.

Once a player does well (and especially after big market teams like the yankees might be interested in them,) they are no longer either under the radar or low risk/high ceiling guys. We only have 50 cents, so we need to spend it on anything but minor league development.

doublem23
04-02-2008, 09:15 AM
:rolling:

You guys are hysterical. I wonder where all this Garland love was when he was actually here.

He had a good outing, against a team that's not exactly a juggernaut. I hope Jon has a great year for LA, but people bitched and moaned about Jon more than almost every single player during his tenure here (sometimes, for good reason).

spawn
04-02-2008, 09:47 AM

You guys are hysterical. I wonder where all this Garland love was when he was actually here.

He had a good outing, against a team that's not exactly a juggernaut. I hope Jon has a great year for LA, but people bitched and moaned about Jon more than almost every single player during his tenure here (sometimes, for good reason).
Word.

Hokiesox
04-02-2008, 10:11 AM

Why so sad? The Twins and Braves have been living like this for 20 years and doing just fine.

areilly
04-02-2008, 10:47 AM

We get Chuck Garfien.

Yet another axe I have to grind with the Chicago sports media. :redneck

kittle42
04-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Why so sad? The Twins and Braves have been living like this for 20 years and doing just fine.

The Braves kept a very solid core through the 90s and early 2000s.

And the Twins haven't won squat since 1991.

Hokiesox
04-02-2008, 11:07 AM
True Kittle, but my point is that not having a top 5, or even top 10 payroll, to go after the name-brand, grade A free agents is not something to be afraid of.

spiffie
04-02-2008, 11:09 AM
I actually like the trade because, it filled up the huge mess Uribe made at short, and also it gave another young guy have an opportunity to pitch.....yes he will be missed but I see it a win-win situation for both teams
Of course somehow we end up with Uribe still there, still playing, only now he's out of position too, AND we get Gavin Floyd in the rotation.

There's plenty of time for this to turn around, but I suspect this is not how Kenny Williams envisioned this trade working out when he made it.

doublem23
04-02-2008, 11:11 AM
You guys who are whining about Uribe realize that he is a utility infielder? The guy who was supposed to start at 2B showed up to camp late and is now hurt.

It's not like Juan was just pushed over to 2B.

jdm2662
04-02-2008, 11:24 AM

Preach on brother. This reminds me of the Thomas Jones saga last season. Some kept whinning it was a mistake to let him go yet there were many people the previous season that kept saying they can't stand his dance steps in the backfield...

To note, I've never been Garland's biggest fan. I never gave him grief like the average fan did before 2005. I found the Judy comments dumb as hell. I think he is a fine MLB starter and wish him the best. I'm not going to fret over him being gone. It's over with.

FedEx227
04-02-2008, 11:28 AM
I think once Ramirez/Richar get a hold on the 2B job I'll feel better about this trade.

I liked Garland, he was a hell of a pitcher, but eventually I felt his luck at the Cell was going to run out and we were going to see a year where that ERA would skyrocket, but I still enjoyed watching him pitch.

With that being said I loved the trade because Garland is going to command a ridiculous amount on the FA market, more than Cabrera will, plus I like Cabrera as a player... now when the trade officially went down I was more happy that I WASN'T going to see Uribe anymore, that hasn't happened quite yet, hopefully soon.

But get over it guys, we could have had Garland this year and then he's gone, there is no way we could have signed him. OC is more signable, plain and simple.

russ99
04-02-2008, 11:42 AM

That's what you get when you sign 2 players the Astros don't want to start at SS and 3B... :tongue:

Then again, the Astros aren't doing that hot either. I guess they're waiting till this weekend at Wrigley to break out the big lumber.

JB98
04-02-2008, 03:50 PM

I've always been a FOJG. It's nothing new for me.

spiffie
04-02-2008, 05:47 PM
You guys who are whining about Uribe realize that he is a utility infielder? The guy who was supposed to start at 2B showed up to camp late and is now hurt.

It's not like Juan was just pushed over to 2B.
Be honest. Tell me you're not just a little afraid that Juan Uribe is going to play 130 games at 2B? Would it really be that shocking for them to send Richar back down, let him "get more seasoning", and keep Uribe around, especially if he does anything in this first week or two?

Metalthrasher442
04-02-2008, 05:54 PM
The Angels will do very fell.

Tragg
04-02-2008, 07:36 PM
I think once Ramirez/Richar get a hold on the 2B job I'll feel better about this trade.
When's that going to happen? He could have Ramirez there now and have a much better outfield in the process. He won't do it - he is maximizing the slap hitting hackers in his lineup this way.
Ozzie never showed any interest in Richar - Richar has some plate patience - that's not Ozzie-style hitting. Perhaps Williams would have held firm and dumped Uribe if Richar were healthy; BUT if Uribe is on the roster, he's playing over Richar.

The draft choices ae the only thing that make this trade make sense. And they would be the only thing whether or not Uribe was playing: it's just magnified because the Sox made a 2nd decision to downgrade at 2nd with Uribe.