PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Colbert a Sox Fan?

WhiteSox5187
04-01-2008, 08:38 PM
I'm hesistant to post this because it could quickly turn political SO FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T TURN IT POLITICAL!

But in a bit on the show Colbert made fun of the Cubs and in at the start of the '06 season he said "C'mon White Sox! Don't let me down!" He lived in Chicago for awhile at NU and at Second City. It'd be pretty cool if he were a Sox fan.

Metalthrasher442
04-01-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm hesistant to post this because it could quickly turn political SO FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T TURN IT POLITICAL!

But in a bit on the show Colbert made fun of the Cubs and in at the start of the '06 season he said "C'mon White Sox! Don't let me down!" He lived in Chicago for awhile at NU and at Second City. It'd be pretty cool if he were a Sox fan.

I love Colbert.

If he is.. I'll love him even more.

pierzynski07
04-01-2008, 08:43 PM
His last line of the segment, which I'd say if I could, was great too. I recommend everyone watch it on Comedy Central's website, if it's on there.

Metalthrasher442
04-01-2008, 08:46 PM
His last line of the segment, which I'd say if I could, was great too. I recommend everyone watch it on Comedy Central's website, if it's on there.

Wait is there anything on todays episode that he said related to the Sox?

chisoxmike
04-01-2008, 08:51 PM
I vaguely remember him saying something about him being a Sox fan.

HebrewHammer
04-01-2008, 08:55 PM
So, I guess the current list of famous Sox fans needs updating....

1. Dennis DeYoung
2. Barack Obama
3. Stephen Colbert?

PicktoCLick72
04-01-2008, 09:02 PM

1. Dennis DeYoung
2. Barack Obama
3. Stephen Colbert?

Styx fan or not. There is no way DeYoung is above the two after him. Especially Obama.

manders_01
04-01-2008, 09:05 PM

1. Dennis DeYoung
2. Barack Obama
3. Stephen Colbert?

Styx fan or not. There is no way DeYoung is above the two after him. Especially Obama.

Hello?!?!? I'm in the number one slot! :redneck

kkappelk
04-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Is this it? He makes fun of the cubs (I think?), but doesn't say anything about the White Sox.

http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport/videos.jhtml?videoId=164491

IlliniSox4Life
04-01-2008, 10:04 PM

1. Dennis DeYoung
2. Barack Obama
3. Stephen Colbert?

You could add Mayor Daley, as well as a lot of those Chicago actors that seem to show up whenever either the Sox or Cubs are in it (Bernie Mac, John Cusack, Bill Murray I think, etc)

doublem23
04-01-2008, 10:09 PM
You could add Mayor Daley, as well as a lot of those Chicago actors that seem to show up whenever either the Sox or Cubs are in it (Bernie Mac, John Cusack, Bill Murray I think, etc)

John Cusack and Bill Murray are attention whores who just like to stand in the limelight, but they bleed Cubbie blue.

IceczMan
04-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Cusack? Seriously? :scratch:

ksimpson14
04-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Cusack likes both teams. I've also seen Vince Vaughn at multiple games, even during our terrible year last year. Jenny McCarthy. Dan Castellana (voice of Homer) was at the Series. George Lopez. A lot of NBA players (Dwayne Wade is a big one). Then there's all the rappers, who I guess like the fashion NWA aspect or something. The list is pretty long actually...

ksimpson14
04-01-2008, 11:48 PM
and yes, I know Vaughn is a Cubs fan too, but he must like us to go to multiple games. Main point, it's not that crazy to like both teams

WhiteSox5187
04-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Is this it? He makes fun of the cubs (I think?), but doesn't say anything about the White Sox.

http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport/videos.jhtml?videoId=164491
No, he doesn't say anything about the Sox but at the start of the '06 season he said something like "C'mon Chicago White Sox! Don't let me down!"

CLR01
04-02-2008, 12:18 AM
I vaguely remember him saying something about him being a Sox fan.

I wouldn't take much of what he says on his show as truth.

WhiteSox5187
04-02-2008, 12:23 AM
He's usually in charecter, that's true, and the fact he said that right before the start of the '06 season might just be him trying to get behind a winner as his charecter would, but in terms of sports he's usually truthful. He's always spouted the Carolina Panthers as his favorite football team because he's from South Carolina, but he also has roots in Chicago so him being a Sox fan isn't TOTALLY out of the question.

Frontman
04-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by HebrewHammer http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1836566#post1836566)

1. Dennis DeYoung
2. Barack Obama
3. Stephen Colbert?

Why wouldn't Dennis clock in above Obama? He's older, been a fan longer than Obama's been alive. Obama might be more in the limelight now, but Dennis has been a fan for a long, long time.

The Colbert fact is interesting.

CLR01
04-02-2008, 12:39 AM
He's usually in charecter, that's true, and the fact he said that right before the start of the '06 season might just be him trying to get behind a winner as his charecter would, but in terms of sports he's usually truthful. He's always spouted the Carolina Panthers as his favorite football team because he's from South Carolina, but he also has roots in Chicago so him being a Sox fan isn't TOTALLY out of the question.

Sure it could be true but I wouldn't use him saying it on his show as proof of anything.

Nellie_Fox
04-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Main point, it's not that crazy to like both teamsYes it is.

PalehosePlanet
04-02-2008, 01:02 AM
Cusack likes both teams. I've also seen Vince Vaughn at multiple games, even during our terrible year last year. Jenny McCarthy. Dan Castellana (voice of Homer) was at the Series. George Lopez. A lot of NBA players (Dwayne Wade is a big one). Then there's all the rappers, who I guess like the fashion NWA aspect or something. The list is pretty long actually...

Don't forget one of the funniest people on earth, John C. Reilly, is a big Sox fan. Also Michelle Monaghan (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Gone Baby Gone), George Wendt and Studs Terkel.

Huge Sox fans RIP: Jean Shepperd, Nelson Algren and James T. Farrell.

Farrell, btw, has a book called My Baseball Diary (1957) that's a very Sox intensive book and a fun read. Before becoming a writer his dream was to play 2B for the Sox.

russ99
04-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Don't forget one of the funniest people on earth, John C. Reilly, is a big Sox fan. Also Michelle Monaghan (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Gone Baby Gone), George Wendt and Studs Terkel.

Huge Sox fans RIP: Jean Shepperd, Nelson Algren and James T. Farrell.

Farrell, btw, has a book called My Baseball Diary (1957) that's a very Sox intensive book and a fun read. Before becoming a writer his dream was to play 2B for the Sox.

Not sure if Colbert is a Sox fan but he's afraid of anything bear related (in character)

Cusack affiliated himself with the Cubs, hence the World Series ticket snub. I don't buy that whole "fan of both teams" argument. Everyone I know that says that likes one team a lot more than the other, most often the Cubs.

Also, John C. Reilly was a year ahead of me in high school at Brother Rice and he was in a few of my classes. (OK, I feel old, but I feel worse for Reilly and that Walk Hard ridiculousness...) I think Jenny was at MacAuley at around the same time, but I never ran into her.

hi im skot
04-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Right around the time of the 2006 season opener, he took a moment to congratulate the "2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox." I actually downloaded the episode and have it on my computer at home. I can give you the specifics when I get home tonight.

Sockinchisox
04-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Norm from Cheers is a Sox fan too, so is that guy that is (or was) in Desperate Housewives, oh and Richard Roeper is as well.

NardiWasHere
04-07-2008, 12:36 PM
. (OK, I feel old, but I feel worse for Reilly and that Walk Hard ridiculousness...)

Sorry...:hijacked:

Walk Hard was fantastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXZdqQRG6_g

I can't figure out how to embed it... but its a great clip

goon
04-07-2008, 12:49 PM

Oh man, I had no idea Reilly was a Sox fan. He's already one of my favorite actors, this just pushes the love one step further.

Navarro's Talent
04-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Bernie Mac is also a Sox fan.

russ99
04-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Sorry...:hijacked:

Walk Hard was fantastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXZdqQRG6_g

I can't figure out how to embed it... but its a great clip

It's pretty funny in spots, but I don't like him taking the Will Ferrell buffoon-like career path.

Sockinchisox
04-07-2008, 01:17 PM
It's pretty funny in spots, but I don't like him taking the Will Ferrell buffoon-like career path.

He and Ferrell have another movie coming out together, Step Brothers I think it's called.

hawkjt
04-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Colbert is way too smart to be a north side lemming when he was around chicago in his youth even tho he lived up there.
I anticipate next year having President Obama throwing out the first pitch for his hometown favorite...White Sox.. the lanky lefthander with a movement.

I want Mags back
04-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Colbert is way too smart to be a north side lemming when he was around chicago in his youth even tho he lived up there.
I anticipate next year having President Obama throwing out the first pitch for his hometown favorite...White Sox.. the lanky lefthander with a movement.

let's hope he throws better than he bowls

AzureJazzMan
04-07-2008, 01:39 PM
I heard George Lopez is big Sox fan in an interview he did while I lived in LA.

Also in that time I heard Bernie Mac give one of the funniest lines about what it's like being a White Sox fan..."Being a White Sox fan...Well, it's kinda like having really great sex with an ugly girl. You know she's ugly, but the sex is so good, you don't care and just keep coming back for more." :makefaces:

PatK
04-07-2008, 02:54 PM
http://www.btinternet.com/%7Ejanhodson/Perry.5.jpg

fquaye149
04-07-2008, 03:05 PM
My guess would be that Colbert doesn't really care much about baseball

NardiWasHere
04-07-2008, 03:16 PM
let's hope he throws better than he bowls

If elected, he joked that he would remove the bowling alley and put a basketball court in. I actually heard that he is a pretty good basketball player too. His brother in law or some relative coaches somewhere. I wanna say that they interviewed the coach on First Take or something.

Nellie_Fox
04-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Discussions of who you hope will be the next President are inherently political, and should be restricted to the political board, regardless of whether said politician is a Sox fan.

turners56
04-07-2008, 07:03 PM
I think he's one of those "Chicago fans"...you know the Cubs and Sox fan.

rdivaldi
04-08-2008, 01:06 AM

Can we take it as truthiness?

AZChiSoxFan
04-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Main point, it's not that crazy to like both teams

:o::?:

Max Power
04-08-2008, 02:41 PM
If elected, he joked that he would remove the bowling alley and put a basketball court in. I actually heard that he is a pretty good basketball player too. His brother in law or some relative coaches somewhere. I wanna say that they interviewed the coach on First Take or something.

Obama's brother in law is Craig Robinson, former Northwestern assistant, current Brown head coach, and possible future Oregon State head coach. Sports Illustrated had a piece a few months ago where the writer played Obama one on one in basketball. I don't remember the details other than Obama is a pretty good basketball player.

eriqjaffe
04-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Here's a clip of Obama putting up a 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daH0ltD20A0

Stringer
04-12-2008, 04:53 AM
It would be awesome to see some pics with these celebs with a Sox hat or jersey

tick53
04-12-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm not a big Colbert fan but if he does like the Sox, I'll give him a little more respect.