PDA

View Full Version : Impressions of Farmer/Stone Radio Booth

Frater Perdurabo
04-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Would anyone who listened to the opener on the radio care to share their impressions of the first regular season game with Farmer and Stone?

Those of us out in the sticks had to settle for the Cleveland announcers on XM. I'm eager to hear Stone, and if Stone makes Farmer better.

Over By There
04-01-2008, 02:28 PM
I listened online, and Stone made the whole experience much more enjoyable. The main impression I got is that he's serious about his craft, and that he wasn't going to let Ed drag him into some side conversation not having to do with the game.

One example that came up in the game thread was that Farmer tried to playfully congratulate Stone on what a great job he was doing after having not worked a game since early March. It was sort of awkward, and with Singleton probably would have turned into 2-3 minutes of uncomfortable/unlistenable radio. But Stone didn't even respond, and just went back to analysis. Very refreshing, and I thought Farmer sounded better as a result.

eriqjaffe
04-01-2008, 02:35 PM
I did catch Stoney, when discussing the Indians "throwback" alt jerseys, reminisce about the 1954 Indians losing in the World Series to the "San Francisco Giants".

Other than that...if it had been Singleton & Farmer, I might've turned the game off after Buehrle's implosion and missed what turned out to be a heck of a game.

bigsoxfan420
04-01-2008, 02:59 PM
I thought they were great together. Stoney know so much about baseball it is rediculous, thank you Cubs for firing him. I thought Stoney should level out Farmers absurd statements. For instance, during the third or fourth Farmer said that the uncalled double play in the second was the reason for Burhele's unfortunate outing (blaming the umps for the Sox misfortune). Stoney basically said (and I'm paraphrasing) that it was reach to say that the one play would have made the difference and pointed out how his fastball was missing and that is why he was getting hit so hard.

I can't wait to here them all year. Maybe pairing Stoney and Hawk would actually make the tv commentary listenable.

SoxFan64
04-01-2008, 03:03 PM
I enjoyed Stoney and as the previous poster mentioned when Farmer tried to congratulate Stone on his work all Stone talked about was how it was an easy game to call because the game was so good and then talked more about the game.

I am going to enjoy my $15 investment in the MLB audio program. You get all the games of both home team announcers and away team announcers with zero blackouts for all MLB teams. It is quite the deal for out of towners. Also it looks like when I selected "wrap" on the game day audio I was able to listen to the game in its entirety w/out having to tape it. So I will have to try it again on Wednesday and see how that works. Maybe this means I will be able to listen to all games at my own pace.

Dan Mega
04-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Stone made Hawk listenable and now Farmer as well. A Rooney/Stone tandem would have been heavenly.

Madvora
04-01-2008, 03:14 PM
I heard Dotel called up to the radio booth and threatened Stone.
Singleton will be taking the rest of the games this year because Stone has been fired.

skottyj242
04-01-2008, 03:14 PM
I really enjoyed listening to the game yesterday.

ksimpson14
04-01-2008, 03:19 PM
I only heard parts, but you can easily tell the broadcast has greatly improved. Now respectable and back to a major league level. I'm still very happy about it

The Dude
04-01-2008, 03:26 PM
What can I say except that it was a joy to listen to!

Amazing to hear a Sox announcer give so much insight on basically every player from both sides. Stone knew how most of the Indians players did in spring training the past couple years, who has lost weight, what the tendencies of the pitcher is, hitters, etc. When Ed would fumble around with words and trying to change the subject, I would try to tune out and listen to what Stone was going to say next.

Here's an example of Farmer being Farmer.
Ed asked Stone who was the worst hit batsman he has ever seen. Stone replied with Sammy Sosa's helmet shattering. Shortly afterwards, Farmer said I think we've talked enough about Sosa for one broadcast. :rolleyes: Farmer asked a question and wasn't happy that the result so cried about it like a flubsessed imbecile.

Regardless, bravo 670 for signing on one of the best in the business to contain the wild animal of tangents and useless babble known as Edward Farmer. :gulp:

Noneck
04-01-2008, 03:36 PM
I was pleasantly surprised late in the game when I couldn't take harrelsons incessant crying, I turned on the radio broadcast and it was synchronized with comcraps delayed broadcast. Farmer seemed to try to lead Stone too much, Stone is a real pro and doesn't need to be lead. Its a work in progress but it will always be 10x better than TV.

LoveYourSuit
04-01-2008, 03:41 PM
My TV and Radio were in perfect sync!

Turned down Hawk and DJ and listened to the Stoney and Farmio who actually had an intelligent thought or two about the game.

I will use this option the rest of the year.

It's Dankerific
04-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Anyone see how much of a delay there is for the out of towners using mlb extra innings and the gameday plan? i'd like to try it if its decent, otherwise, id keep the $15.

Elephant
04-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Like Dude said, it's nice to have a color man who actually like knows the game, and not some amateur, pontificating ex-outfielder.

Stone + Farmer = gold. I don't even miss Rooney anymore.

doublem23
04-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Anyone see how much of a delay there is for the out of towners using mlb extra innings and the gameday plan? i'd like to try it if its decent, otherwise, id keep the $15.

For most of yesterday, the internet radio broadcast was ahead of the ESPN GameCast, especially for that inning when it seemed to crash. Ultimately Gameday and Gamecast are nice, but they never really deliever the complete picture the way listening to the game on the radio does.

Unless your bugdet is razor thin and $15 is a significant amount of money to you, it's very well worth it, especially now that the Sox have a radio team worth listening to.

It's Time
04-01-2008, 03:47 PM
I was pleasantly surprised late in the game when I couldn't take harrelsons incessant crying".

:hawk
"That's bull ****"

It's Dankerific
04-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Unless your bugdet is razor thin and $15 is a significant amount of money to you, it's very well worth it, especially now that the Sox have a radio team worth listening to.

I watch most of the games over DirecTv, but I'd love to hear the radio team. Im just worried that one of them would be significantly delayed over the other. i hate to hear the HR, then lose the thrill of watching it live.

MeteorsSox4367
04-01-2008, 04:26 PM
I had the game on at work, so I was trying to get some things done while listening to one of my favorite Sox (Buehrle) get drilled by Cleveland.

I was biased coming in because I think Stone is outstanding as an analyst and he lived up to my expectations. As someone else wrote, Stone's presence and insight seemed to make Farmer even better.

Maybe it was just because it was Opening Day and I was happy as hell to hear a live Sox game, but I thought Stone was excellent and Farmer was much less annoying than he's been in the past.

roylestillman
04-01-2008, 05:14 PM
I was surprised at how much better Farmio was yesterday. Since Rooney left I just found the radio unlistenable. Yesterday it was like Dad showed up in the booth and Farmer behaved himself. No ten minutes tangents on St, Rita, golf, Notre Dame, Evergreen Park or kidneys. I had both the TV and radio on for the ump calls and found myself turning down the TV.

The Score must have done some smoke and mirrors to sync it up with cable. It used to always be about 10 seconds ahead,

oeo
04-01-2008, 05:20 PM
I am going to enjoy my $15 investment in the MLB audio program. You get all the games of both home team announcers and away team announcers with zero blackouts for all MLB teams. It is quite the deal for out of towners. Also it looks like when I selected "wrap" on the game day audio I was able to listen to the game in its entirety w/out having to tape it. So I will have to try it again on Wednesday and see how that works. Maybe this means I will be able to listen to all games at my own pace.

I might have to get it, if just for the WCIU games (already one tomorrow :angry:).

sullythered
04-01-2008, 06:04 PM
As my buddy Jake said, "If I were to get cancer, I'd like Steve Stone to be the guy to deliver the news."

Brian26
04-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Would anyone who listened to the opener on the radio care to share their impressions of the first regular season game with Farmer and Stone?

Farmer and Stone were outstanding yesterday, barely a notch below Rooney and Farmer. Give Farmer credit for stepping up his game on the call, and Stone's insight was excellent as usual.

ws05champs
04-01-2008, 06:34 PM
The radio was surprisingly in sync with the TV. I found this out just about the time Cabrera interfered with the double play. As Hawk was starting to get hysterical about the call I turned off the audio on the TV to listen to the radio, and Farmer calmly noted that it was the right call. It was like a breath of fresh air.

I really hope the TV stays in sync with the radio this season because if it does, outside of his home run calls, the Hawk - He Gone!

Brian26
04-01-2008, 06:38 PM
I noticed yesterday that the Gameday Audio was actually behind the Gameday Gamecast. I thought it would be the other way around.

Elephant
04-01-2008, 07:17 PM
If Farmer doesn't have a consummate pro next to him, he's absolutely unlistenable, but when he does, he's informative and entertaining. It's amazing.

TornLabrum
04-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I probably have the subject for my next column. I'll be listening again on the way home from work the rest of the week, but so far I'm pleasantly surprised about Farmer. He actually sounded professional if that's possible while doing PBP. Way to go Stoney!

Optipessimism
04-02-2008, 12:37 AM
I watch most of the games over DirecTv, but I'd love to hear the radio team. Im just worried that one of them would be significantly delayed over the other. i hate to hear the HR, then lose the thrill of watching it live.
You can try going here (http://radiotime.com/) first. It's free. You sign up and you can listen to radio over the PC all over the US. I don't know if they black out all MLB games over the internet though. I tried listening to the Sox once over this but couldn't, but then again I live in the Chicago area so I don't know if it is just me or if its a nationwide blackout.

SoxFan64
04-02-2008, 01:02 AM
You can try going here (http://radiotime.com/) first. It's free. You sign up and you can listen to radio over the PC all over the US. I don't know if they black out all MLB games over the internet though. I tried listening to the Sox once over this but couldn't, but then again I live in the Chicago area so I don't know if it is just me or if its a nationwide blackout.

If all of the radio games were here then I think there would be no reason to subscribe to MLB audio program at $15 per year. I live in DC and I have not been able to listen to the games on the WSCR anywhere except through MLB.com.

What have others experienced?

Nellie_Fox
04-02-2008, 01:19 AM
If all of the radio games were here then I think there would be no reason to subscribe to MLB audio program at $15 per year. I live in DC and I have not been able to listen to the games on the WSCR anywhere except through MLB.com.

What have others experienced?Yes, radio stations cannot stream MLB games on the net because MLB sells them only the radio rights, not internet rights, which they keep for themselves. It's just like XM; they can now stream MLB Homeplate, but not the games themselves.

sox230
04-02-2008, 01:28 AM
As my buddy Jake said, "If I were to get cancer, I'd like Steve Stone to be the guy to deliver the news."

:o:
Too far.

FedEx227
04-02-2008, 01:40 AM
My TV and Radio were in perfect sync!

Turned down Hawk and DJ and listened to the Stoney and Farmio who actually had an intelligent thought or two about the game.

I will use this option the rest of the year.

DAN-GUMMIT!

and "THATS RIDICULOUS" is the most intelligent thoughts I've ever heard for a baseball game.

"THAT JASON MICHAELS I TELL YA DJ, HE JUST KILLS US!" true though, Michaels splits against the Sox over the past 3 years: .352/.425/.524, 3 HR, 15 RBI in 105 ABs.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Big improvement. Didn't hear about golf or St Rita's once (although the season is young).

johnr1note
04-02-2008, 08:29 AM
I listened to most of the broadcast. Steve Stone is a HUGE improvement. He did revert to one of his old WGN cliches, when he went on a tangent about what "you young pitchers out there" need to do, his analysis since his days as Harry's sidekick has improved by leaps and bounds. He has to be one of the best in the business. I also think Stone's voice tone has improved with age, or maybe its the new broadcast technology, or maybe its just me, but he's not as annoyingly nasal as he once was.

Do I sound picky? Yeah, I know. I suppose I used to give Stone 2 strikes before he even stepped to the plate because of his connection to the Cubs. I'll get over that, I'm sure. But compared to Farmer or Singleton, Stone is Olympian in stature.

As I listened, I don't believe that Farmer himself is any better, but that having Stone as his partner forces him to be less of a droning mumbler. he actually engages in intelligent baseball conversation, and offers useful insight once more, as he did when he was Rooney's partner. I do get the sense that he's competing for "turf" with Stone. Farmer tries to control the course of the broadcast by asking Steve inane questions about themselves (there was a particularly strange exchange in broadcast about the "steve stone changeup") but Steve tries to avoid these topics or deftly bats them away and gets back to what's happening on the field.

I am actually looking forward to Sox radio broadcasts this year. This is a most welcome change.

PatK
04-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Farmio+ Stone= greater than the sum of their parts.

Whereas the last two seasons, I would have turned the game off after the 2nd inning, they kept me interested in the game.

ChiTownTrojan
04-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Farmio+ Stone= greater than the sum of their parts.

Whereas the last two seasons, I would have turned the game off after the 2nd inning, they kept me interested in the game.
Them, and the fact that it was a great game.

Viva Medias B's
04-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Big improvement. Didn't hear about golf or St Rita's once (although the season is young).

What about Notre Dame and how Ed knows Charlie Weis personally?

TomBradley72
04-02-2008, 10:08 AM
I really hope the TV stays in sync with the radio this season because if it does, outside of his home run calls, the Hawk - He Gone!

About a month ago, Steve Dahl was talking about a device you can purchase that synchs up the radio broadcast with your TV...hasn't anyone else heard of this?

madisonsoxfan
04-02-2008, 11:47 AM
About a month ago, Steve Dahl was talking about a device you can purchase that synchs up the radio broadcast with your TV...hasn't anyone else heard of this?

I know of two devices that exist:
http://delayplay.com/
http://www.motron.com/search.html

I've never heard any reviews on either, so I don't know how well they do the job.

Personally, I play the gameday audio from my computer into my home stereo, and then synch the video to the audio with my dvr player.

harwar
04-02-2008, 02:19 PM
I thought that they worked extremely well together.
Its amazing how they can just turn it on when the season starts.
I know that Steve Stone is probably the best at what he does and that is proven out by making the people he works with (Farmer) better also.

KingXerxes
04-02-2008, 03:07 PM
:hawk

"DADGUMMIT D.J. - They've all got their radios on."

I have to say that Steve Stone is a very welcome addition to the booth, and I totally agree with an earlier poster who would have liked to seen Rooney and Stone together.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-02-2008, 03:21 PM
The radio rocks. Stone keeps Farmer on task.

Metalthrasher442
04-02-2008, 04:03 PM
I can't imagine watching a sox game without Hawk's voice.

Phil Bradley
04-02-2008, 04:24 PM
I listened and Stone is a professional to Ed's mediocre pitcher. Stone just ignores Ed so therefore Ed doesn't go on his tangents. Ed still says pretty dumb stuff though, like when he called for the triple play in the 8th inning, because those are so common.

Stone: good
Ed: bad

Ed and Singlenton: bad

Stone and Ed: good

Frontman
04-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Like Dude said, it's nice to have a color man who actually like knows the game, and not some amateur, pontificating ex-outfielder.

Stone + Farmer = gold. I don't even miss Rooney anymore.

Seconded. Stone has also made Farmio bring his "A" game, and Ed was great on Monday.

PorkChopExpress
04-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Michaels splits against the Sox over the past 3 years: .352/.425/.524, 3 HR, 15 RBI in 105 ABs.

Kind of a highjack here, but don't forget his gold glove calibur defense in LF.

ws05champs
04-02-2008, 05:36 PM
I can't imagine watching a sox game without Hawk's voice.
Try it. You'll like it.

LoveYourSuit
04-02-2008, 05:37 PM
DAN-GUMMIT!

and "THATS RIDICULOUS" is the most intelligent thoughts I've ever heard for a baseball game.

"THAT JASON MICHAELS I TELL YA DJ, HE JUST KILLS US!" true though, Michaels splits against the Sox over the past 3 years: .352/.425/.524, 3 HR, 15 RBI in 105 ABs.

Hawk and winning baseball = Great Mix

Hawk and bad baseball like last year = Stab my ears with a pencil

Unlike 90% of the board here, I don't need cheerleaders in baseball. Call it how it is and quit the excuses and whinning.

I will say that the Bulls TV crew takes the cake on the cheerleading, thank god for the few National broadcasts we get or else they would be un-watchable.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-03-2008, 07:54 AM
I think because of this board, I've actually paid more attention to WHAT Hawk says as opposed of being used to hearing his voice.

When things are not going well, it is a PAINFUL experience. I give DJ props for not jumping out of the broadcast window, and trying to keep on task.

Frontman
04-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Hawk and winning baseball = Great Mix

Hawk and bad baseball like last year = Stab my ears with a pencil

Unlike 90% of the board here, I don't need cheerleaders in baseball. Call it how it is and quit the excuses and whinning.

I will say that the Bulls TV crew takes the cake on the cheerleading, thank god for the few National broadcasts we get or else they would be un-watchable.

Good way to build friendships there, LoveYourSuit. I respectfully disagree with you, as the WSI crew is a more intelligent fanbase for the White Sox (even if they go overboard with the spell correcting.)

October26
04-03-2008, 10:18 AM
I love the Farmer / Stone radio team. It is like music to my ears, and this after listening to two disappointing losses so far this week. Stone has great radio presence. One example I can think of is when Farmer asked Stone if there were alot of kids named Esdrubel in his neighborhood or in his school and Stone responded (without hesitation)- "Oh yes, Ed, definitely." Dear Chris Singleton was always stumbling around trying to figure out what to say to Farmer (when he could get a word in). Stone is very confident in his broadcasting ability and is not intimidated in least by Farmer. Stone's color commentary is outstanding. I didn't think I would enjoy two ex-pitchers as broadcasters, but I am enjoying listening to the broadcasts so far. I love this broadcast team and I'd like to hear them call a White sox winner!:bandance:

aryzner
04-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Today is really my first time listening to Farmer and Stoney on the radio, and HOLY **** this is amazing without even 5 minutes going by. Please let this last forever!

jdm2662
04-03-2008, 11:37 AM
I listened to the radio broadcast for the first time yesterday.

Needless to say, I won't listen to the tv broadcast for the rest of the season. A Sox game without Hawk is a dream come true! I was also surprised how close they were to the HD feed. Usually, the HD feed was 7-10 seconds behind.

CommanderPudge72
04-03-2008, 12:13 PM
I really enjoy Stoney on the radio. The team is much improved.

However, I REALLY want to see Hawk and Stoney on TV. Watch much more than listen. I think Hawk and Stoney mesh well, and it raises Hawk's game. I think he respects Stoney's baseball acumen and he knows that he has to really compete.

Plus, I am tired of DJ's...."This is the way they do it Japan" stories.

kaufsox
04-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Today is really my first time listening to Farmer and Stoney on the radio, and HOLY **** this is amazing without even 5 minutes going by. Please let this last forever!

meh, I caught them today (4/3) and it was ok, better than Singleton, but that isn't that hard to achieve. I just think it would be better with a pro for PBP and lose Farmer entirely. ps, good luck in the Championship next season:wink:

skottyj242
04-03-2008, 02:15 PM
I don't do impressions.

SOXfnNlansing
04-03-2008, 02:32 PM
I have a chance to listen to the day games on the radio at work and it's been a nice experience so far. It still sounds strange having Stone doing the Sox games since he was with the cubs for so long. So far so good though.

FireMariotti
04-03-2008, 02:54 PM
So far, Farmer and Stone have been a joy to listen to. The whole two pitchers in the booth thing actually works very well. They setup each at bat beautifully and point out tendencies that both a pitcher and hitter would have in each situation. Stone is top-notch because he is able to channel the minds of the pitcher as well as the hitter. Farmer seems much more comfortable calling the game and talking baseball with Stone in between the action. His infamous golf/St. Rita off-topic tangents have been minimal.

soxfanreggie
04-03-2008, 08:40 PM
I love listening to Steve Stone, whether on tv or the radio. Large doses of Farmer still gives me a headache. I'm not sure why, but in betwen pitches, he just interjected about his daughter in a 1 car accident a year ago to the day. I don't mind the story but why real briefly blurt it out then not mention it again.