PDA

View Full Version : changes to the park in 08

chisoxmike
03-29-2008, 02:09 PM
If you can find the press releases in the jumbled new site, you would find news of these...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080327&content_id=2462022&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

- Team renovated the Stadium Club.
- There will be Super Dogs, and a BBQ Cart
- Junior Chevy Pride Crew for 8-13 year olds
- A 500 level T-Shirt shop

dickallen15
03-29-2008, 02:25 PM
I wish they would finally get a new out-of-town scoreboard and a couple auxilary boards that show runs hits and errors. Those are the renovations I'm waiting for.

BRDSR
03-29-2008, 02:31 PM
I wish they would finally get a new out-of-town scoreboard and a couple auxilary boards that show runs hits and errors. Those are the renovations I'm waiting for.

Whats wrong with the current out-of-town scoreboard?

Pretty minimal improvements to the game experience for this year, but when the experience is already so awesome...what else can you ask for?

chisoxmike
03-29-2008, 02:41 PM

Pretty minimal improvements to the game experience for this year, but when the experience is already so awesome...what else can you ask for?

A good team.

CubKilla
03-29-2008, 02:51 PM

There's nothing wrong with it per se. However, go to most of the new ballparks and alot of the out-of-town scoreboards are much more in depth.

While it has no effect what so ever on the outcome of Sox games, it's nice to see some fantasy impact between innings and alot of the scoreboards at newer ballparks tell you the inning, strikes, balls, outs, runners on, pitching lines, stars of the game and their lines, etc.

santo=dorf
03-29-2008, 03:00 PM

The out of town scoreboard is great if you want to know the scores of other games......from 2 hours from the current time.

In this day and age of cell phones, fantasy baseball, gambling, and pennant fever, the out of town scoreboard really shows its age and can't keep up with demands.

oeo
03-29-2008, 03:03 PM
The out of town scoreboard is great if you want to know the scores of other games......from 2 hours from the current time.

In this day and age of cell phones, fantasy baseball, gambling, and pennant fever, the out of town scoreboard really shows its age and can't keep up with demands.

I still like how Hawk will use that for his in-game around-the-league 'updates.' A game will be over and he's letting us know that the Indians just re-took the lead in the 5th inning. :lol:

BRDSR
03-29-2008, 03:34 PM

That's very true, and extremely annoying when hours have passed without an update to a particular game in which I'm interested in the outcome. However, that is not an issue with the actual scoreboard; more an issue for whoever updates the scoreboard.

As far as getting more details in there...I guess it would be neat but its low on my list of things I would change about Sox Park. However, I'm not a big fantasy baseball fan, and when I don't make prop bets and individual performances, so I can see how it might be more of a priority for other types of baseball fans.

ksimpson14
03-29-2008, 03:34 PM
There's nothing wrong with it per se. However, go to most of the new ballparks and alot of the out-of-town scoreboards are much more in depth.

While it has no effect what so ever on the outcome of Sox games, it's nice to see some fantasy impact between innings and alot of the scoreboards at newer ballparks tell you the inning, strikes, balls, outs, runners on, pitching lines, stars of the game and their lines, etc.

It's also realllllyyyy slowwwww, which is kind of annoying when you're towards the end of a season and in a pennant race.

ksimpson14
03-29-2008, 03:37 PM
The Chevy thing sounds creepy.

I will have to try this new BBQ one game. Not that there isn't enough great food there anyways.

kninchicago
03-29-2008, 03:41 PM
They had BBQ pork sandwiches last year and from what I remember the year before. Brisket however is new. I liked them--I mean it's a pretty standard bottle BBQ sauce but it works for me.

anewman35
03-29-2008, 03:47 PM
What ever happened with the new Hall of Fame I thought they were building? Was that ever something they officially said they'd do when they closed the old one, or did people just talk about it? I can't remember.

Fenway
03-29-2008, 03:50 PM

At Fenway the National League scores are updated every half inning by a guy on a ladder.

We also have no idea what team is batting in an inning.

BRDSR
03-29-2008, 04:29 PM
At Fenway the National League scores are updated every half inning by a guy on a ladder.

OMG! That's ADORABLE! I hope the infrastructure is crumbling above and below me and that I get to be sandwiched between two 300 pound shirtless men while attempting to pee in a trough after buying three horribly overpriced, detestable beers called Old-Style, too!

Mods, I would have posted this in WTS, but, you know...it was such a good set up right here in the Clubhouse.

DoItForDanPasqua
03-29-2008, 04:34 PM
OMG! That's ADORABLE! I hope the infrastructure is crumbling above and below me and that I get to be sandwiched between two 300 pound shirtless men while attempting to pee in a trough after buying three horribly overpriced, detestable beers called Old-Style, too!

Mods, I would have posted this in WTS, but, you know...it was such a good set up right here in the Clubhouse.

Wait, are you talking about Wrigley or Fenway?

BRDSR
03-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Wait, are you talking about Wrigley or Fenway?

I was drawing a sarcastic parallel between the hand-operated scoreaboards at Fenway and Wrigley.

Vernam
03-29-2008, 05:04 PM
The Chevy thing sounds creepy. Yeah, I wondered if anyone would mention that. My first reaction was, Oh no, drunk fans yelling at pre-teen kids to "Throw us the shirt you're wearing!" :o: But hopefully instead it's so pre-teen fans can get one of those crappy Chevy shirts without being trampled by drunk fans.

I agree that the out-of-town board sucks. My #1 wish is for a board that shows stats of the pitcher who's on the mound. Right now, they flash briefly when there's a pitching change and then never appear again. I don't buy the excuse that the RF board is too old and crowded -- the big color screens that ring the stadium between the upper and lower decks have plenty of room for useful info instead of the non-stop BS and ads that they now have.

I desperately want the Sox to play well in '08, and at least a small reason is that they turn the sound up to ear-splitting levels to create fake excitement when the team falls out of contention.

Vernam

soxfan21
03-29-2008, 06:44 PM
I just can't wait to taste some of the food off of that BBQ cart, and can't wait to have one of the footlong "super comiskey's" loaded with some onions on it. The home opener can't get here soon enough.

kaufsox
03-29-2008, 06:54 PM
I just can't wait to taste some of the food off of that BBQ cart, and can't wait to have one of the footlong "super comiskey's" loaded with some onions on it. The home opener can't get here soon enough.

I'm going to stop eating now to get ready for opening day:tongue:

thomas35forever
03-29-2008, 07:39 PM
I'll have to sample a "Super Comiskey" this year in addition to the kosher dog I always get. Damn, I get hungry just typing about it.

ws05champs
03-30-2008, 01:32 AM
I shouldn't be reading thins so late at night. Now it will be tough getting to sleep thinking about BBQ brisket on opening day. I hope the foot longs come Chicago style.

Blueprint1
03-30-2008, 01:46 AM
I'll have to sample a "Super Comiskey" this year in addition to the kosher dog I always get. Damn, I get hungry just typing about it.

I hope that this,"Super Comiskey" does not replace the, "Kosher dog" don't mess with the best food in baseball.

salty99
04-01-2008, 12:31 PM
1. Brick plaza out front
2. Renovations to the stadium club restaurant
3. 2nd custon t-shirt shop with high end memorbilia items as well

3 new concessions:
a cart with BBQ pulled pork and beef brisket
hot roasted peanuts
foot long hot dogs called Super Comiskey dogs

Scottiehaswheels
04-01-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm looking forward to the tamale's. Haven't had one of those since last year... :drool: Hopefully the BBQ is as good as the stuff in Philly or KC, although I kinda doubt it since it's on a cart...

salty99
04-01-2008, 12:36 PM
I had the pulled pork last year and liked it. It came with chips and a pickle.

HomeFish
04-01-2008, 12:37 PM
What's the brick plaza like?

salty99
04-01-2008, 12:38 PM
What's the brick plaza like?

you know the one with the legacy bricks etc. dedication on April 11

Foulke You
04-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere: Beep Magazine (The Daily Herald's version of Red Eye) did an article on "What's New for Chicago baseball in '08" and in the article, it stated that the Sox were going to be unveiling some new food items this year including a sliced beef brisket sandwich as well as bringing back the old fashioned hot roasted peanuts cart for the concourse! :bandance:

MUsoxfan
04-01-2008, 05:26 PM
There's always room for brisket

salty99
04-01-2008, 05:44 PM
already posted here:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=99302

gogosox16
04-01-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm in the mood for a funnel cake.....can't wait until Monday:bandance:

TheCommander
04-01-2008, 05:51 PM
already posted here:

And before that,here:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=99181

(see whitesox.com link in the opening post)

salty99
04-01-2008, 05:56 PM
GEEZ how did I miss that. I just got the e-mail today!

twentywontowin
04-01-2008, 05:59 PM
You know what would be awesome? Buffalo Wild Wings inside the park.

HebrewHammer
04-01-2008, 08:46 PM
That's it. I'm moving back. I can't take this any more. Brisket. Roasted peanuts. I can't even get hot dogs here in Korea. :whiner:

DSpivack
04-01-2008, 08:54 PM
That's it. I'm moving back. I can't take this any more. Brisket. Roasted peanuts. I can't even get hot dogs here in Korea. :whiner:

You do get some good short ribs, but I just noticed your name. I'm a bad Jew.

chisoxmike
04-01-2008, 09:46 PM

Gross.

There is a wing bar opening on 35th & Halsted in May.

dakuda
04-01-2008, 09:48 PM

As long as it is always Tuesday! (.40 wings)

grv1974
04-01-2008, 10:05 PM

I'm just glad they changed it from blue to grey so that it blends in better. I actually sent an email last year to Brooks asking him if they could change it to grey. It'd be neat if I were the only one, and he took my suggestion!

SoxNation05
04-01-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm just glad they changed it from blue to grey so that it blends in better. I actually sent an email last year to Brooks asking him if they could change it to grey. It'd be neat if I were the only one, and he took my suggestion!
I told him to paint it black I guess he likes you more.

gogosox16
04-01-2008, 11:00 PM
That would be awesome, but also, I would be on the toilet for most of the game:redneck

cws05champ
04-02-2008, 12:26 AM
I agree that the out-of-town board sucks. My #1 wish is for a board that shows stats of the pitcher who's on the mound. Right now, they flash briefly when there's a pitching change and then never appear again. I don't buy the excuse that the RF board is too old and crowded -- the big color screens that ring the stadium between the upper and lower decks have plenty of room for useful info instead of the non-stop BS and ads that they now have.
Vernam

There's this thing I heard of called the internet...sounds pretty good. It may even be available on your cell phone. :smile:

Ya, the out of town score board needs improvement and is slow, but in this day and age you can get all the info you need on your phone if you need it that bad. I would put any $$ from that into other things.

Foulke You
04-02-2008, 02:16 PM
already posted here:
I used the search function for new food items and nothing came up so I posted it. Unfortunately, this "changes '08" thread didn't come up.

soxfan13
04-02-2008, 02:19 PM
There's this thing I heard of called the internet...sounds pretty good. It may even be available on your cell phone. :smile:

Ya, the out of town score board needs improvement and is slow, but in this day and age you can get all the info you need on your phone if you need it that bad. I would put any $$ from that into other things.

Sox fans never bring cell phones to the game and use them. Didnt you read the rule book:tongue::gulp:

UofCSoxFan
04-02-2008, 02:44 PM

I agree. Some of the new stadiums have ones that will show you where runners are on base (I think MIL for one has this). I mean its not like the old days where a guy had to call other stadiums...you can literally have someone watch other games live or follow mlb.com online.

downstairs
04-02-2008, 03:42 PM

But if you have a cel phone... can't you just get the scores there?

itsnotrequired
04-02-2008, 03:46 PM

They've done a lot better in recent years. 2005 was a joke. 2006 was okay and 2007 was pretty good. I'm guessing they updated the electronics to post the scores in a more timely manner.

anewman35
04-02-2008, 05:22 PM
But if you have a cel phone... can't you just get the scores there?

Not everybody has a cell phone, and not everybody has a cell phone that gets scores.

KenBerryGrab
04-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I go to the ballpark to get away from cellphones.

Vernam
04-02-2008, 09:06 PM
And some people have better things to do at a ballgame than to dial into their cell phones. Even if I wasn't one of those people, I'm supposed to use up minutes because the Sox have a crappy scoreboard? :scratch:

On further consideration, Mods, please close this thread. Turns out there are Internets, so we don't need a scoreboard anymore. :rolleyes:

Vernam

Jurr
04-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Doesn't look like the on field product has changed much. :o:

itsnotrequired
04-02-2008, 10:40 PM
And some people have better things to do at a ballgame than to dial into their cell phones. Even if I wasn't one of those people, I'm supposed to use up minutes because the Sox have a crappy scoreboard? :scratch:

On further consideration, Mods, please close this thread. Turns out there are Internets, so we don't need a scoreboard anymore. :rolleyes:

Vernam

I have unlimited text and internet access for $10/mo. Checking info from other games on my phone whilst watching the Sox is no big deal.

Vernam
04-03-2008, 12:09 AM
I have unlimited text and internet access for $10/mo. Checking info from other games on my phone whilst watching the Sox is no big deal.More power to you, it's just not how I choose to spend my time at the park. I also think the Sox would alienate fans pretty quickly if they explained away the outmoded scoreboards by saying that we should just check our cells for the pitchers' stats and other relevant info.

Vernam

fozzy
04-03-2008, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotrequired http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1838271#post1838271)
I have unlimited text and internet access for $10/mo. Checking info from other games on my phone whilst watching the Sox is no big deal.

More power to you, it's just not how I choose to spend my time at the park. I also think the Sox would alienate fans pretty quickly if they explained away the outmoded scoreboards by saying that we should just check our cells for the pitchers' stats and other relevant info.

Vernam

all right so when your at a game you want to sit back and enjoy the game... not take the 4 seconds it takes to check out the scores on your phone. thats cool i understand that the game your watching is the priority, thats the way it should be. should the sox spend million's to update their scoreboards? why... because you want to check out pitcher and hitter stats of out of town teams that are readily available to 70% of the people attending. i understand that some people don't have cell phones or can't stats on them but last year the scores were updated within 10-20 minutes of an inning ending for out of town games last year.

John Barrett
04-03-2008, 08:34 AM
I have written brooks and many others regarding the out of town board . The answers i get is that MLB controls the board and the board is at the mercy of thier updates:scratch:

DumpJerry
04-03-2008, 08:40 AM
I have written brooks and many others regarding the out of town board . The answers i get is that MLB controls the board and the board is at the mercy of thier updates:scratch:
The boards are updated by a feed from a satellite. Presumably, the White Sox are not the only MLB team subscribing to the service.

When people sitting near me are following a game on their phone (or are talking with someone who is at a different game) and the score changes, we've noticed the scoreboard reflects the change within 5-10 seconds. Unacceptable time lag.

itsnotrequired
04-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotrequired http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1838271#post1838271)

More power to you, it's just not how I choose to spend my time at the park. I also think the Sox would alienate fans pretty quickly if they explained away the outmoded scoreboards by saying that we should just check our cells for the pitchers' stats and other relevant info.

Vernam

all right so when your at a game you want to sit back and enjoy the game... not take the 4 seconds it takes to check out the scores on your phone. thats cool i understand that the game your watching is the priority, thats the way it should be. should the sox spend million's to update their scoreboards? why... because you want to check out pitcher and hitter stats of out of town teams that are readily available to 70% of the people attending. i understand that some people don't have cell phones or can't stats on them but last year the scores were updated within 10-20 minutes of an inning ending for out of town games last year.

I wasn't saying that the existence of cell phones was an excuse for the Sox to have a crappy out of town board. Besides, like Dump said, the out of town board has been updating very regularly for the past couple seasons.

Unfortunately, the out of town board only shows the score, inning, pitcher and which team is batting. My phone will give me the full box score, individual stats, etc. It isn't like I'm glued to my phone at the games but when the Chevy Pride Crew is running around, I don't feel the need to focus all my attention on the field.