PDA

View Full Version : Ernie Banks

LITTLE NELL
04-01-2008, 12:14 PM
What took the Flubs so long to honor Ernie Banks with a statue. Says something about a franchise when they put up a statue of an over the hill broadcaster than their greatest player.

Rocky Soprano
04-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Who cares what they do or dont do.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-01-2008, 12:20 PM
What took the Flubs so long to honor Ernie Banks with a statue. Says something about a franchise when they put up a statue of an over the hill broadcaster than their greatest player.

I wondered about that too. As usual with them, promotional BS comes before honoring a class player.

JermaineDye05
04-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Was nice to see, however I was irked that ESPN decided to show them presenting the statue. I don't think I can remember them ever showing a little thing of the Sox presenting any of the statues they have now at the cell. I haven't been at the cell for a while, when will they be doing the statue for Baines? I would like to be there for that game.

EDIT: I wasn't irked that ESPN showed it per say, more that they hadn't showed the sox presenting the statues.

Noneck
04-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Henry Aaron mentioned that the statue should have been erected 10-15 years ago. I totally agree, Banks should have been the 1st. I don't know how many people here realize that a statue of Banks was almost erected in the Civic Center (Daley Center) instead of the Picasso.

pierzynski07
04-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Was nice to see, however I was irked that ESPN decided to show them presenting the statue. I don't think I can remember them ever showing a little thing of the Sox presenting any of the statues they have now at the cell. I haven't been at the cell for a while, when will they be doing the statue for Baines? I would like to be there for that game.

EDIT: I wasn't irked that ESPN showed it per say, more that they hadn't showed the sox presenting the statues.
Were they showing the games in which the statues were presented?

JermaineDye05
04-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Were they showing the games in which the statues were presented?

That could be it, considering ESPN was covering the game and it was opening day it probably factored in there. I don't think ESPN ever aired one of the games where the sox presented a new statue, I still would think they'd show that in the highlights though.

TomBradley72
04-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Henry Aaron mentioned that the statue should have been erected 10-15 years ago. I totally agree, Banks should have been the 1st. I don't know how many people here realize that a statue of Banks was almost erected in the Civic Center (Daley Center) instead of the Picasso.

It was interesting watching Banks' reaction to Aaron's comment...he kind of raised his eyebrows and smiled a little....

asg2003ws2005
04-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Henry Aaron mentioned that the statue should have been erected 10-15 years ago. I totally agree, Banks should have been the 1st. I don't know how many people here realize that a statue of Banks was almost erected in the Civic Center (Daley Center) instead of the Picasso.the picasso was mad ein 1967. Ernie was still an active player then.

Noneck
04-01-2008, 12:54 PM
the picasso was mad ein 1967. Ernie was still an active player then.
Yup

LITTLE NELL
04-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Who cares what they do or dont do.
I care a little bit about them in the respect that I think it would be great if they moved to Peoria.

ksimpson14
04-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Kind of funny that they didn't realize the idea, even as the Sox started honoring their greats. If I heard the story right, it took "Sox fan" Mike freakin North to give them this idea (along with Jesse Jackson, not sure which one really started it, but both helped)

A lot of the hosts on the Score keep mentioning it, been a little pissed that the organization didn't invite either guy

ksimpson14
04-01-2008, 01:13 PM
And yes, I found it weird that ESPN made such a big deal about the event, mentioning it for days over multiple baseball games and shows, but whatever

asg2003ws2005
04-01-2008, 01:40 PM
YupNO ONE makes a statue for an active player.

doogiec
04-01-2008, 01:45 PM
NO ONE makes a statue for an active player.

One of the Chicago alderman who was critical of the Picasso statue suggested it should have been Ernie Banks instead. It was never something that almost happened, just a comment by one person who was critical of the Picasso.

eriqjaffe
04-01-2008, 01:50 PM
When does the statue of Ronnie Wickers get unveiled?

Heffalump
04-01-2008, 01:56 PM
If I had any talent, I would sculpt the follwing life-size statues and leave them in front of Wrigley Field.

The famous billy goat
Ron Santo spazzing out in 1969
Steve Garvey bashing the ball (and the Cubs) in the 1984 playoffs.
Steve Bartman
Lou Pinella pulling Zambrano in game 1 last year.

Care to add others?

white sox bill
04-01-2008, 02:01 PM

Thats because flubs are a media based team. The fact that a baseball game is being played annoys most fans

LITTLE NELL
04-01-2008, 02:07 PM
If I had any talent, I would sculpt the follwing life-size statues and leave them in front of Wrigley Field.

The famous billy goat
Steve Bartman

Care to add others?
Lee Elia with a button that plays the famous rant.

Noneck
04-01-2008, 02:17 PM
One of the Chicago alderman who was critical of the Picasso statue suggested it should have been Ernie Banks instead. It was never something that almost happened, just a comment by one person who was critical of the Picasso.
Actually it was a resolution introduced to the city council by Ald. John Hoellen to remove the Picasso. It was widely discussed and backed by avid cubs fan and Sun Times columnist Mike Royko. My point was that a statue of Banks was discussed as being part of the civic center. But yeah you are probably correct, it wasn't something that almost happened.Then 40 years later it finally happens, well I'm glad at least it happened so Banks could see it.

LITTLE NELL
04-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Actually it was a resolution introduced to the city council by Ald. John Hoellen to remove the Picasso. It was widely discussed and backed by avid cubs fan and Sun Times columnist Mike Royko. My point was that a statue of Banks was discussed as being part of the civic center. But yeah you are probably correct, it wasn't something that almost happened.Then 40 years later it finally happens, well I'm glad at least it happened so Banks could see it.
Hell would have froze over before Hizzoner the Mayor Richard J. Daley would let that happen. Now Nellie Fox was a possability.

Heffalump
04-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Lee Elia with a button that plays the famous rant.

Good one!

asg2003ws2005
04-01-2008, 03:49 PM
One of the Chicago alderman who was critical of the Picasso statue suggested it should have been Ernie Banks instead. It was never something that almost happened, just a comment by one person who was critical of the Picasso.So then Noneck is wrong then.

twentywontowin
04-01-2008, 03:57 PM

The famous billy goat
Steve Bartman

Care to add others?

A TV monitor playing this over and over:

http://bjays.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/output.gif

ilsox7
04-01-2008, 07:27 PM
They left the apostrophe off of "Let's" on the statue.

' (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-schmich_both_02apr02,0,3247109.column)

In related news, kittle42 is rejoicing that a story about apostrophes made the front page!

geraldfritz
04-01-2008, 07:44 PM

The Baines statue is scheduled to be unveiled on July 20th against the Royals. A little tidbit of info for those who were wondering when it was going to take place.

thegooch
04-01-2008, 07:53 PM

' (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-schmich_both_02apr02,0,3247109.column)

In related news, kittle42 is rejoicing that a story about apostrophes made the front page!

HAHAHA. That is terrific.

soxrme
04-01-2008, 08:42 PM

The famous billy goat
Steve Bartman

Care to add others?
Leon Durham bending over and missing a ground ball. They could have water dripping out of the glove. (That was his excuse the glove got wet).

Frontman
04-03-2008, 09:23 AM

That cracks me up, but I find it sad in a way. How the heck don't you spellcheck? Ernie's statue will be "flawed" because the artist couldn't be bothered with that kind of detail?

I have a lot of respect for Ernie, as he's one of the nicest guys in sports.

CubKilla
04-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Seriously though, anyone else get sickened by Jesse Jackson constantly trying to inject his mug into every shot of Ernie with Aaron, Jenkins, and Williams? And if Jesse was so damn instrumental, then where was North?