PDA

View Full Version : Heart!

JoeClutch24
03-31-2008, 11:46 PM
One thing that noticed is, that this team actually wanted to play baseball. i didn't see this all of last year, and despite the outcome today, we will win 85 to 90 games. which is leaps and bounds from last year guys! I'd like to think that Swisher and Cabrera changed the whole dynamic of this team. Today was a joke and these guys know it, this is going to be a much more exciting this year.

Elephant
03-31-2008, 11:50 PM
Yeah I have to admit despite the officiating, managing and outcome, it was a fun game. They dadgum tried. I said it earlier, but if they play like that all the time, they'll at least be competitive.

chisoxmike
03-31-2008, 11:51 PM
I couldn't tell you how happy I was when I kept seeing e-mails and my phone with texts at work that the Sox kept coming back. 7-4, 7-5, 7-6, tie game!

I kept thinking this is a game the Sox would have lost 10-2 last year.

Regardless, they still lost. We're 0-1. You can't be giving up 10 runs like Buehrle (our "ace") and Dotel (who we threw a lot of money at to help improve our pathetic bullpen) did.

Nice to see a comeback, but it doesn't matter.

Go get 'em Wednesday...

gogosox16
The Lineup is much improved but the Pitching Staff, looks to have took a big hit with no Garland.....Too early to guarantee an amount of wins. But this team by far will be more competitive and seem to not give up which was nice

santo=dorf
You're damn right Cabrera made a dynamic impact today. He struck out on a pitch 4 feet out of the zone, had a defensive miscue that helped lead to a big inning for the jndjans, hit to the wrong side of the field with bases loaded, and tried to be cheap on a DP attempt.

Didn't we give up one of our starters expecting the complete opposite?

oeo
03-31-2008, 11:55 PM
The Lineup is much improved but the Pitching Staff, looks to have took a big hit with no Garland.....Too early to guarantee an amount of wins. But this team by far will be more competitive and seem to not give up which was nice

We haven't even made it one time through the rotation yet...how does it look like we'll miss Garland? I'm not saying we won't, but let's at least wait until May before we say it.

gogosox16
03-31-2008, 11:56 PM
We haven't even made it one time through the rotation yet...how does it look like we'll miss Garland? I'm not saying we won't, but let's at least wait until May before we say it.
I'm basing it on pitchers that are proven and who have question marks....last year, we only had 1 true question mark in the rotation to start the year, while this year we have 3 true question marks in the rotation to start the year.

oeo
04-01-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm basing it on players that are proven and question marks....last year, we only had 1 true question mark in the rotation to start the year, while this year we have 3 true question marks in the rotation to start the year.

Danks, Buehrle, and even Contreras (who had an awful second half of 2006) were all ?'s...

The difference between this year and last year is last year, two of our question marks were at the top of our rotation. This year, all three are at the bottom.

BTW, back to the topic...I was very happy with what I saw in terms of emotion today. Cabrera after scoring the tying run, Crede nearly losing it after being called out at home, and then Cabrera screaming at the umpire after the interference call. These guys were dead the last couple of years, so it's nice to see them showing some life.

BRDSR
04-01-2008, 12:04 AM
I couldn't tell you how happy I was when I kept seeing e-mails and my phone with texts at work that the Sox kept coming back. 7-4, 7-5, 7-6, tie game!

Wow, your friends are quick with their emails and texts. The Sox only trailed 7-6 for the amount of time it took Cabrera to run from third to home. :wink:

But really, it was the sort of strange loss that gives rise to some optimism. Problem is, whenever I get enough optimism swirling around in my brain to be happy about this opening day, I realize there is just as much pessimism to go around. Still, Buerhle's outing and the umpiring were both abberations, in my opinion. Take the last two and it's a damn good opening series.

Elephant
04-01-2008, 12:05 AM

Yeah, but theoretically it might not hurt if Danks picks up the slack. I mean it's not like Garland left big shoes to fill.

gogosox16
04-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Danks, Buehrle, and even Contreras (who had an awful second half of 2006) were all ?'s...
Rightfully so, but 2 of the 3 were proven vets and Buehrle had one downfall year and everyone (well at least me) expected him to have a bounce back year.........I'm kind of trapping myself here.

gogosox16
04-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Yeah, but theoretically it might not hurt if Danks picks up the slack. I mean it's not like Garland left big shoes to fill.
but he did leave 200 innings a years. which neither Danks or Gavin have come some what close to in a year.

RockJock07
04-01-2008, 12:07 AM
You're damn right Cabrera made a dynamic impact today. He struck out on a pitch 4 feet out of the zone, had a defensive miscue that helped lead to a big inning for the jndjans, hit to the wrong side of the field with bases loaded, and tried to be cheap on a DP attempt.

You need to look beyond the numbers dude. Cabrera is going to strike out, I think you may be overstating "4 feet", he got fooled, but not that bad. Yeah, he screwed up bad on the error, but Mark needed to pick him up, and if your talking about that slide that was an awful call, then cheap is not the right word.

The impact that Swisher and Cabrera is going to be a refreshing change that we haven't seen from sox players in quite some time. I think giving up Garland was a risk, but we got one hell of a player in return.

The title of this thread is heart, Swisher is all heart and plays hard, Orlando has heart in other ways. I'm glad we missed on Torii Hunter, not that he doesn't have heart, but if that deal had gone down, Swisher would still be an A.

I really liked what I saw today, you could just tell that they were into it today. I need to see this kind of intensity throughout the season, not just on opening day.

BadBobbyJenks
04-01-2008, 12:08 AM

Are you serious?

RockJock07
04-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Are you serious?

Yeah, probably the worst post I've seen in awhile.

JoeClutch24
04-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Are you serious?

I don't know what game he was watching, but I saw a guy score from 1st, and a guy that did his best to break up a double play, not screw us. Not to mention he did what he was supposed to do, which is take pitches, get a walk, screw with C.C. to steal a base which led to a Thome home run.

doublem23
04-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Are you serious?

It's best just to ignore it. I haven't watched the game in its entirety yet, so I can't comment too much on Cabrera's performance, but if trying to break up a DP in a tie game of in the 8th inning is "cheap," then give me 9 cheap players. :rolleyes: Where, or where is the sportsmanship?

BadBobbyJenks
04-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Yeah, probably the worst post I've seen in awhile.

I don't know what game he was watching, but I saw a guy score from 1st, and a guy that did his best to break up a double play, not screw us. Not to mention he did what he was supposed to do, which is take pitches, get a walk, screw with C.C. to steal a base which led to a Thome home run.

It's best just to ignore it. I haven't watched the game in its entirety yet, so I can't comment too much on Cabrera's performance, but if trying to break up a DP in a tie game of in the 8th inning is "cheap," then give me 9 cheap players. :rolleyes: Where, or where is the sportsmanship?

It just boggles my mind at what length some people will go to slam the franchise they root for.

Elephant
04-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Everything dorf said was true. He had a pretty lousy game.

oeo
04-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Everything dorf said was true. He had a pretty lousy game.

Indeed, but I think most of this is him just having some sort of issue with Cabrera. :scratch:

It seems like this is all he wants to talk about.

ksimpson14
04-01-2008, 12:59 AM
Yes, the game was very fun and you got a good feel for the team. I would've paid to have heard Cleveland's homer announcers after they blew their lead...

BUT, coming in, I knew our offense and character was fine. My worry is still the staff. I don't worry about Buehrle, but seeing that happen to him gave me scary flashbacks of what has/could happen to the question marks in our rotation

ksimpson14
04-01-2008, 01:05 AM

Let's not forget he also got hit on the Blake slide on defense. Nothing wrong with that slide.

I liked Garland, and worry about the rotation hole, and even though I've heard some fans overrate him, I have no problem with having Cabrera on this team, very good all around

BainesHOF
04-01-2008, 01:13 AM
I was encouraged by some things I saw Monday, but please don't act so happy that it doesn't look like we'll as bad as last year. We should be aiming much higher than that. There were plenty of discouraging signs in Monday's game, too. The fact is we lost a game in which Thome hit a pair of 2-run HRs off Sabathia. That's wasting a huge effort, and that's not good.

But, hey, at least we didn't lose 10-2!

kaufsox
04-01-2008, 01:15 AM
all in all, I liked how they battled back, but Dotel did not look so hot and Ramirez looked lost at the plate. One game, though, and a long way to go.:D:

LoveYourSuit
04-01-2008, 01:17 AM

Bring this guy back for you

:hitless

maybe this will make you happy.

JoeClutch24
04-01-2008, 01:38 AM
all in all, I liked how they battled back, but Dotel did not look so hot and Ramirez looked lost at the plate. One game, though, and a long way to go.:D:

Yeah but like Hawk mentioned, it's his first game, against a Cy Young Winner and you know what I'd rather have this guy at the plate than Anderson. And there was a lot of negatives in this game too, For Instance Crede, why? Josh Fields could have hit a clutch 3 run bomb, no but it all seriousness, I don't want to see one of our starters give up 7 runs in an inning this year, let alone ever again, and Dotel is awful! It's a long season boys and 2007 will be forgotten, Bring back '00 and '05!

Optipessimism
04-01-2008, 01:42 AM

I agree on the error/miscue and I too still dislike the Garland trade, but he'll be better than Juan this year. Now if we can only get Uribe the hell off this team...

gogosox16
04-01-2008, 01:44 AM
I agree on the error/miscue and I too still dislike the Garland trade, but he'll be better than Juan this year. Now if we can only get Uribe the hell off this team...
So easy to be said, than done:whiner:

JoeClutch24
04-01-2008, 01:47 AM
I will take Juan's 20 Home Runs and 70 RBI's and be happy! You guys are too forgetful of what he has done for us since he joined us. The second out of the 9th in the 2005 World Series seems to ring a silly little bell in my head! But yes his average is bad

gogosox16
04-01-2008, 01:53 AM
I will take Juan's 20 Home Runs and 70 RBI's and be happy! You guys are too forgetful of what he has done for us since he joined us. The second out of the 9th in the 2005 World Series seems to ring a silly little bell in my head! But yes his average is bad
Yes, but his stay here is a little long....The Sox need to part ways with him and move on and same with him

Grzegorz
04-01-2008, 05:45 AM
Hey,

I was very encouraged by the performance of Nick Masset. I wish this kid the best and hope this is just a little taste of what is to come.

santo=dorf
04-01-2008, 06:37 AM
Are you serious?
Partly. Making every other letter or word in teal would be too much work.
It just boggles my mind at what length some people will go to slam the franchise they root for.
GMAB. If anything it's directed at a SINGLE PLAYER. Jeez. I root for the Sox, but I'm not going to have a flub fan mentality and make excuses and spin everything into a positive.
Indeed, but I think most of this is him just having some sort of issue with Cabrera. :scratch:

It seems like this is all he wants to talk about.
No. I've been asking about the defensive performance by Uribe and Ramirez, and trying to remind people that Masset had a very similar outing last year filling in when Buehrle got knocked out way early by the Indians (under different circumstances however.)

Jjav829
04-01-2008, 08:12 AM

No one has forgot that. Or ever will. Uribe made a great play to get that second out. He also made a nice play to get the 3rd out. He's made many nice plays since joining the White Sox. He's also made some bad plays and along the way put together A LOT of bad at-bats. And Uribe still continues to put together bad at-bat after bad at-bat. We've seen enough.

soltrain21
04-01-2008, 10:43 AM

Can we please stop talking about 05 when it comes to what players are doing now?

Elephant
04-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Can we please stop talking about 05 when it comes to what players are doing now?

From a guy with a 2005 join date and the handle "JoeClutch"? Not likely..

DickAllen72
04-01-2008, 12:16 PM

Yeah, I always thought O Cabrera was supposed to be this great fielder and "smart ballplayer" but from what little I've seen of him so far with the Sox (spring training/yesteday) he seems like neither.

Again, it's way too early to judge, but I hope we didn't get a guy who is on a rapid decline. :(:

santo=dorf
04-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Anyone else think "When your powers combine, I become Captain Planet. GOOOOOO Planet!" after reading the thread title?

DickAllen72
04-01-2008, 12:29 PM
One thing that noticed is, that this team actually wanted to play baseball. i didn't see this all of last year, and despite the outcome today, we will win 85 to 90 games. which is leaps and bounds from last year guys! I'd like to think that Swisher and Cabrera changed the whole dynamic of this team. Today was a joke and these guys know it, this is going to be a much more exciting this year.
I agree and had the same thoughts while watching the game yesterday. This team does have 'heart" and is much improved over last season.

And despite my previous post, I do think Cabrera did show heart out there. I didn't think he showed "gold glove" defense or "baseball smarts " with his poor attempt at breaking up the DP, but I'm hoping he's just off to a bad start. I liked the idea of getting Cabrera, but I'm concerned that what I've seen of him in this very short time with the Sox so far is far less than what I expected.

Huisj
04-01-2008, 01:14 PM
But, hey, at least we didn't lose 10-2!

And everyone's missing the best part of that--a 10-8 loss is a whole lot better on the pythagorean W-L record than a 10-2 loss!

Gammons Peter
04-01-2008, 05:06 PM
wow, they actually tried to win. wow, they showed heart. First game of the season of course they did. Every team did

santo=dorf
04-01-2008, 05:36 PM
wow, they actually tried to win. wow, they showed heart. First game of the season of course they did. Every team did
Tell me about your boy Dotel. Did he show much heart?

oeo
04-01-2008, 05:39 PM

Did they do it last year when they went down by 7? I don't remember it...

FedEx227
04-01-2008, 05:44 PM

Jesus tap dancing christ... who cares what he did in 05?

Willie Harris scored the game winning run in the World Series, why did we get rid of him!?!?

Geoff Blum hit a game-winning home... OH GOD how could we have gotten rid of him.

JoeClutch24
04-01-2008, 06:24 PM
From a guy with a 2005 join date and the handle "JoeClutch"? Not likely..

You sure you wanna go there man? I shouldn't have to prove my White Sox fanhood on here? 05 was the first time ever in my life that I saw my favorite team win a championship, so not isn't likely won't forget until we win another.

JoeClutch24
04-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Jesus tap dancing christ... who cares what he did in 05?

Willie Harris scored the game winning run in the World Series, why did we get rid of him!?!?

Geoff Blum hit a game-winning home... OH GOD how could we have gotten rid of him.

No I am not talking just '05 bro look the past 3 years and he is better than a lot of 2nd basemen in the A.L. offensively:
2005:16 HR's 71 RBI's
2006: 21 HR's, 71 RbI's
2007: 20 HR's, 68 RBI's

But I am open to playing Alexi at 2nd, but I don't think we should complain about Uribe.

btrain929
04-01-2008, 06:31 PM
but he did leave 200 innings a years. which neither Danks or Gavin have come some what close to in a year.

200 innings of 4.5 era pitching? That's not overwhelmingly hard to fill. I think Danks can replicate that this year. And not many teams get 200 innings from their 5th starter, so Floyd shouldn't even be brought up. Contreras and Danks will step up and do well in my eyes.