PDA

View Full Version : Something overlooked in today's game.

JermaineDye05
03-31-2008, 07:31 PM
We managed 5 runs off of C.C. Sabathia! We still lost yet, but I think this is a good sign for a team that did almost nothing against left handed pitchers last year. I definitely think this team will be damn good this year, I could just see the fight in the players something that was lost all throughout last year. If this was 2007, after the Indians got up 7-2 our team would have simply given up and not gotten a hit for the next couple of innings. Even after getting screwed and falling behind in the 8th they still fought and threatened to tie it again.

JB98
03-31-2008, 07:32 PM
We managed 5 runs off of C.C. Sabathia! We still lost yet, but I think this is a good sign for a team that did almost nothing against left handed pitchers last year. I definitely think this team will be damn good this year, I could just see the fight in the players something that was lost all throughout last year. If this was 2007, after the Indians got up 7-2 our team would have simply given up and not gotten a hit for the next couple of innings. Even after getting screwed and falling behind in the 8th they still fought and threatened to tie it again.

And Thome homered off Sabathia twice.

Jim should be benched against lefties.

PicktoCLick72
03-31-2008, 07:48 PM
It could be a historic season. Jim is on pace to break not only Bonds' single season HR record, but also the all-time record. The Snelias family is going to be hurting.

getonbckthr
03-31-2008, 08:04 PM
It could be a historic season. Jim is on pace to break not only Bonds' single season HR record, but also the all-time record. The Snelias family is going to be hurting.
324 here we come.

chisoxfanatic
03-31-2008, 08:25 PM

I'm sure Alex Snelias won't mind, as he's doing this in loving memory of Ursilla!

MCHSoxFan
03-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Man, I was going to make a positive 2008 OD thread! :D: For real, though. Anyways, I really think this team will be GREAT. I mean, down 7-2 after Mark gave up 7 runs in ONE inning! WOW! They came back. Then, in the 9th inning, after all of this complete and utter CRAP by the ups, JD hist a solo shot (His first of the season, obviously) to make the game 10-8. Then, AJ and Joe tried thei darndest to come-back and tie/win today's game. Once again, WOW! I was sooo mad and this really helps me feel good. SHOULD BE A GREAT YEAR!!!

Frontman
03-31-2008, 09:20 PM
While today's game was a loss, I actually took a lot out of the way the Sox never gave up, and kept in the fight.

I have a feeling we're in for a special season, if Thome keeps hitting his homers in this line-drive, very-little-doubt way.

I was impressed with Alexei in the field, not so much at the plate.

Crede is still a work in progress, but I hope the signs of improvement that he shows will become more solid play from him.

I think Swisher is going to be fine in the lead-off slot for a short term fix, but we really need a speed threat like Owens there.

Mark has had horrid performances before, and then gone and had a great next game.

All in all, yeah disappointing that we lost, but the Sox put a 5 spot on CC. Goes to show that he isn't invunerable.

BoysMom3
03-31-2008, 09:29 PM
I thought about that when he came out of the game - wow, we really hit well off him! And I also was pleased the way we stayed in the game instead of giving up. It gave me a much different and better feeling than last year.

geraldfritz
03-31-2008, 10:07 PM
I found that there was some very good things that happened in the game. Although Buerhle got rocked. He will bounce back.

Masset and Logan looked really good today. Dotel, not so much, but hey, it was only one appearance, lets give him a few more times out before we crucify him.

Offense looked good. Good approach taking it the other way. Although Ramirez had a bad day at the plate, I thought he did better in his last couple at-bats. (Drew a walk in one) which was nice to see. Crede looks fine in my opinion, had a double off the top of the fence, defensively looked very solid. His timing still needs to get better, but that will come in time.

Top of the order did well getting on base, which was great to see, as opposed to last year.

Defense looked a helluva lot more solid than last year.

I think we are going to have a good year. Lets bounce back on Wednesday and hopefully Vasquez continues what he did last year.

turners56
03-31-2008, 10:08 PM
When Sabathia doesn't have his stuff, this is how good he is or AKA bad.

ksimpson14
03-31-2008, 11:00 PM
And Thome homered off Sabathia twice.

Jim should be benched against lefties.

AJ had a hit off him too IIRC. Some of the hitters looked good against him. This is why I knew we had a chance when we stopped the bleeding early at 7

Pablo had decent stats off him too, would've been interesting if he would've made a difference...

soxfan21
04-01-2008, 05:35 AM
I was really happy with the fight in the Sox and the emotions that many of the players were displaying. It's too bad that we couldn't get a win out of this one, but Mark had an off day, and Dotel really didn't help out much either. I was really happy to see that this offense is hopefully back, and Masset and Logan did a fine job IMO. I think that this is going to be an exciting season of baseball, and can't wait til tomorrow when we will take it to Cleveland:bandance:.

moochpuppy
04-01-2008, 08:01 AM
I was most impressed with Masset. It makes you wonder if KW and Ozzie actually know what they are doing. :wink:

Hokiesox
04-01-2008, 11:09 AM
I was most impressed with Masset. It makes you wonder if KW and Ozzie actually know what they are doing. :wink:

They do, but it's going to take a lot more than this to convince most around here.

Chicken Dinner
04-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Masset must be a cool weather pitcher. He had a decent April last year and then beat the Cubs on that cold and nasty Sunday last year. The warm months though, ouch!

Fungo
04-01-2008, 11:27 AM
I was most impressed with Masset.
I liked the fact that he attacked the strike zone and kept hitters off balance with his off speed stuff. It seemed like he was trusting his stuff and not trying to nibble.

TomBradley72
04-01-2008, 12:02 PM
It's only one game but my positives were:

Masset: Having a reliable long man would be huge for this team and go a long way to preserving our bullpen.
Logan: Only 1 inning...but it one for the more impressive outings I've seen from Logan..he seemed to be changing speeds more than I've seen.
Thome: He looked great in spring training...and to hit 2 HR's off Sabbathia (he hit 6 all off LHs all last year) is a good sign.
Konerko, Crede, AJ, Uribe and Dye all had important hits...we need the the veterans to get off to a fast start unlike last year.
Swisher's energy and Cabrera's fire (he may have been TOO amped up)About as many good things in a loss as you can get.

geraldfritz
04-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I agree with Cabrera maybe being a little too much amped up, but it was sure good to see that fire back.

Frontman
04-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I agree with Cabrera maybe being a little too much amped up, but it was sure good to see that fire back.

If he shoved the umpire, then I would say he had too much fire. But getting fired up about winning/losing/bad calls?

'bout damn time we saw that out of a guy in a black and white uniform!

Bob G
04-01-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm looking forward to our next game - I want to see how the players bounce back after a full day to think about yesterday's loss and the numerous things that happened (both good and bad). Javy must have a good start - at least 5 or 6 solid innings.

sox1970
04-01-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm looking forward to our next game - I want to see how the players bounce back after a full day to think about yesterday's loss and the numerous things that happened (both good and bad). Javy must have a good start - at least 5 or 6 solid innings.

How about 8 or 9? :shrug:

Bob G
04-01-2008, 06:35 PM
How about 8 or 9? :shrug:

I'll take it!!!

soxfandy
04-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Everybody is noting the great positives to come out of this game and I agree with all of them thus far. Another positive that nobody has mentioned is how well we did against their bullpen. We got on base and hit against betancourt and perez who are one of the best righty-lefty combos in the bullpen. Paulie got the 2 rbi base hit off of perez to tie the game and we should have scored runs of betancourt in the 8th inning but the umps kind of ruined that. The bottom line is that we were in the position to do something which i like. I also was very encouraged by the fire everybody showed. Everybody seemed to be in to the game and that is what i like to see in a ballclub!!

ChiTownTrojan
04-02-2008, 11:30 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080331-white-sox-opener-downey,0,1389170.column

Judging by some of the players' comments, I like the attitude these guys are showing. I really think the additions of Swisher and Cabrera to the clubhouse will give this team a lot more energy and fire throughout the season, something they were seriously lacking last year.

geraldfritz
04-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Yeah, that was definitely an interesting read, when looking at their comments. I like this team a lot. And I mean a lot. This should be a fun summer.

Madscout
04-02-2008, 11:59 AM
I liked that they got CC out of their in 5 and 1/3 and that they got through 4 relievers. Maybe we will see a team that will work counts and shorten starts for a lot of pitchers.