PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie's closed-door meetings before each series

thomas35forever
03-31-2008, 07:20 PM
I just read on ESPN.com that Ozzie is going to meet with the team before every series in an idea borrowed from Bobby Cox. Good idea to make sure the team stays focused.

WhiteSox5187
03-31-2008, 07:52 PM
I heard that on the post game show and I'm not totally opposed to the idea, especially if its like "OK, this is what we're going to do this series." But I also remebered something Hawk said that good teams don't have meetings. Good teams KNOW what their role is and KNOW how they're going to beat teams. But I don't think it will hurt. I think this is really for guys like Uribe to remind them that if they want to stay on this team, this is what they'll have to do. I also heard that guys like Konerko and Dye (two of the leaders on the team) LOVED this idea. Dye played with Cox so he knows what Ozzie is looking for. We'll see but all the meetings in the world can't make up for lousy play.

NardiWasHere
03-31-2008, 08:43 PM
You would think that this would be more common.

BadBobbyJenks
03-31-2008, 08:46 PM
I heard that on the post game show and I'm not totally opposed to the idea, especially if its like "OK, this is what we're going to do this series." But I also remebered something Hawk said that good teams don't have meetings. Good teams KNOW what their role is and KNOW how they're going to beat teams. But I don't think it will hurt. I think this is really for guys like Uribe to remind them that if they want to stay on this team, this is what they'll have to do. I also heard that guys like Konerko and Dye (two of the leaders on the team) LOVED this idea. Dye played with Cox so he knows what Ozzie is looking for. We'll see but all the meetings in the world can't make up for lousy play.

Braves have been a pretty good team for almost 2 decades with Bobby Cox.

WhiteSox5187
03-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Braves have been a pretty good team for almost 2 decades with Bobby Cox.
That's true, I'm just saying what Hawk said. I don't think it's a bad idea.

voodoochile
03-31-2008, 09:27 PM
You would think that this would be more common.

Yeah, can you imagine other sports not doing something similar? I like this idea. Remind the players of trends and even go over what to expect from the pitchers they expect to face and a quick run through what they throw in certain situations. Remind the team of key player strengths and go over a little film. Whole thing should take an hour at most.

I'd think it would be simple to put together DVD's of this info very easily and expect the players to watch it again when they get a chance. Heck create MP3 files and have the players upload them to their IPods...

It's Dankerific
04-01-2008, 01:20 AM
I'd think it would be simple to put together DVD's of this info very easily and expect the players to watch it again when they get a chance. Heck create MP3 files and have the players upload them to their IPods...

Who's going to pay for all these iPods??????

NardiWasHere
04-01-2008, 06:11 AM
Yeah, can you imagine other sports not doing something similar? I like this idea. Remind the players of trends and even go over what to expect from the pitchers they expect to face and a quick run through what they throw in certain situations. Remind the team of key player strengths and go over a little film. Whole thing should take an hour at most.

Exactly.

By the way... how entertaining would those DVDs be? I'd pay a huge amount just to watch 5 min. of one of those.

soltrain21
04-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Shouldn't there be meetings before every game?

soxfan13
04-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Shouldn't there be meetings before every game?

There are individual meeting pitchers and catchers with the pitching coach and hitters with the batting coach and what not. What I got out of the article this morning about the meetings was besides going over the upcoming series it was going to give the players and coaches a chance to air out any problems, without these things going public.