PDA

View Full Version : MLB.TV blackout?

JermaineDye05
03-31-2008, 03:06 PM
So I bought mlb.tv so I could watch White Sox games at school because Dekalb does not have CSN. Now I find out the game is blacked out. Anyone know a reason why this would be? or how I can fix this?

CLR01
03-31-2008, 03:08 PM
This post didn't take long.

DaBears
03-31-2008, 03:14 PM
on a side note, why cant I listen to the game online at 670thescore? I swear I could do this last season...

JermaineDye05
03-31-2008, 03:15 PM
This post didn't take long.

Are you having the same problem too? Or is this a common problem that the answer is obvious?

DaBears
03-31-2008, 03:17 PM
Are you having the same problem too? Or is this a common problem that the answer is obvious?

I am pretty sure that DeKalb is still a black out area for Sox games... so if this is the case, and you purchased this just for Sox games, you wasted your money:(: Good news is you can watch all the Tampa Bay Rays games you want!:rolleyes:

DaBears
03-31-2008, 03:19 PM
http://bp1.blogger.com/_wvoLtwni0kc/RhUvZd19-xI/AAAAAAAAHg4/nE8fsbE7hmg/s1600-h/MLBBLACKOUT.jpg

Here is the map telling you what teams are blacked out in what areas... so it looks like you wont be watching the Sox much this year:(:

russ99
03-31-2008, 03:19 PM
MLB has a crazy blackout map for it's broadcasts. DeKalb is too close in, they're blacked out.

But if you look at the map, link below, the entire state of Iowa is also blacked out for the White Sox.

Link (http://bp1.blogger.com/_wvoLtwni0kc/RhUvZd19-xI/AAAAAAAAHg4/nE8fsbE7hmg/s1600-h/MLBBLACKOUT.jpg)

Pretty ridiculous.

CLR01
03-31-2008, 03:25 PM

It's a common problem with an obvious answer that is as simple as entering your zip code and pressing go. Just a timy buit of research would have avoided the 278th time this question has been asked.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/mlbtv.jsp?c_id=mlb

JermaineDye05
03-31-2008, 03:27 PM
This really sucks for NIU then, because for some reason we don't get CSN down here. I don't know why, so now I'm stuck with waiting for WGN or WCIU feeds.

CLR01
03-31-2008, 03:29 PM
on a side note, why cant I listen to the game online at 670thescore? I swear I could do this last season...

No you couldn't. In fact you haven't been able to for years.

turners56
03-31-2008, 04:47 PM
I live in Aurora and I'm watching it on MLB.tv. All you need is a good proxy.

NardiIsHere
03-31-2008, 05:48 PM
u need to route your computer through some area that is not blacked out...i'm not sure how to do it but my buddy did it last year here in west lafayette to get the games

Jimmy John
03-31-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm pretty certain that if your credit card's billing address is in the blackout zone you're screwed, regardless if you try going through a proxy or not. I could be wrong though...

champagne030
03-31-2008, 11:03 PM
So I bought mlb.tv so I could watch White Sox games at school because Dekalb does not have CSN. Now I find out the game is blacked out. Anyone know a reason why this would be? or how I can fix this?

DeKalb doesn't have Comcast? Or are you in a dorm with their service? It's been a few years, so I have no idea what they offer......

Rockin Robin
03-31-2008, 11:43 PM
http://bp1.blogger.com/_wvoLtwni0kc/RhUvZd19-xI/AAAAAAAAHg4/nE8fsbE7hmg/s1600-h/MLBBLACKOUT.jpg

Here is the map telling you what teams are blacked out in what areas... so it looks like you wont be watching the Sox much this year:(:

Jesus, for a state with no professional team, Iowa gets screwed.

Jaysox
04-01-2008, 12:17 AM
The Royals are so bad that they don't even air them in Kansas City. Yet if I want to watch the Sox play KC it's blacked out.

I want Mags back
04-01-2008, 12:39 AM
MLB has a crazy blackout map for it's broadcasts. DeKalb is too close in, they're blacked out.

But if you look at the map, link below, the entire state of Iowa is also blacked out for the White Sox.

Link (http://bp1.blogger.com/_wvoLtwni0kc/RhUvZd19-xI/AAAAAAAAHg4/nE8fsbE7hmg/s1600-h/MLBBLACKOUT.jpg)

Pretty ridiculous.

they get CSN on their cable, even on U of Iowa campus cable my friend gets all the games.

I'm blacked out down here in Bloomington because CSN is available on DirecTv. (although the Bulls are blacked out on that because the pacers are the home town team, and the Hawks are because the Blues are for some reason) fortunately, i didnt buy the package, just stole a password from someone. I guess I rely on the gameday audio for this month

turners56
04-01-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm pretty certain that if your credit card's billing address is in the blackout zone you're screwed, regardless if you try going through a proxy or not. I could be wrong though...

They never checked mine.

cws05champ
04-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Not sure if this will work but here is a proxy site you can use:

http://proxify.com/

Since you need your account to log into mlbtv anyway, I don't think it will work.

JermaineDye05
04-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Well, more "good" news. It appears we don't get WCIU out in Dekalb either :(:. So it looks as if I'm stuck waiting for them to play on WGN which is about 5 games in all of April :(:.

JermaineDye05
04-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Does anyone know a way I can get around the blackouts on mlbtv? I don't know what I'll do if I can't watch white sox baseball. I think it's kind of dumb that you can't watch certain games online given where I live I think I should be allowed to watch the games since there's really no way I can out here.

Well at least I was able to watch the Spring Training games...

asg2003ws2005
04-01-2008, 12:46 PM
If you're at school, email customer service. They will allow you to watch games online if you cannot view them on tv.

boiler up
04-01-2008, 01:05 PM
set up a proxy. i did it freshman year at school and it worked fine.

chisox59
04-02-2008, 01:43 AM
I'm in Colorado and I couldn't watch it yesterday. When I tried to access it all I got was a blue screen with the MLB logo in it. I noticed today that the TV archives are not available either. One of the aspects I don't like about MLB TV is that they don't give you a choice of home/road telecast like they do the audio broadcast. I don't need to hear Twins/Indians/Tigers etc. announcers rooting against my team regardless of how good they are at their job.

NardiIsHere
04-02-2008, 02:04 AM
Well, more "good" news. It appears we don't get WCIU out in Dekalb either :(:. So it looks as if I'm stuck waiting for them to play on WGN which is about 5 games in all of April :(:.

we don't get wciu here at purdue either, guess i'll have to listen to the radio...

SoxFan64
04-02-2008, 02:12 AM
Jesus, for a state with no professional team, Iowa gets screwed.

There are six professional baseball teams in Iowa. None in the majors; five in the Midwest and one in PCL.

SoxFan64
04-02-2008, 02:23 AM
Does anyone know a way I can get around the blackouts on mlbtv? I don't know what I'll do if I can't watch white sox baseball. I think it's kind of dumb that you can't watch certain games online given where I live I think I should be allowed to watch the games since there's really no way I can out here.

Well at least I was able to watch the Spring Training games...

I am an old fashioned low tech kind of guy -- seeing as how I was around for Disco Demolition Night.

But somethings should not change. If you can't use a proxy -as others have suggested -- to get the games and you purchase the package for the express purpose of watching Sox games then go the old fashion way and contact MLB and tell them you want a refund or to be made whole.

You purchased their package because you could not get the games via cable. If they give you crap then you need to apply some pressure. First by working up the chain of command of MLB. Get names and numbers.

Then if all else fails then it is time to contact the local media (student newspaper / or local TV outlet) and your elected representatives (either in DeKalb or back home). No company likes crappy PR and they will get it if you fail to make you whole.

Still good people skills and common sense should get them to refund you your money. If you paid for a shirt and you took it home and it was not what you wanted then you would return it no questions asked. Same goes here.

Rockin Robin
04-02-2008, 02:39 PM
There are six professional baseball teams in Iowa. None in the majors; five in the Midwest and one in PCL.

And what does that have to do with MLB.tv?

The Iowa Cubs don't count.

I want Mags back
04-02-2008, 04:52 PM
just use sopcast

myp2p.eu (http:/myp2p.eu)

I want Mags back
04-02-2008, 04:54 PM
The Royals are so bad that they don't even air them in Kansas City. Yet if I want to watch the Sox play KC it's blacked out.

what are u talking about. It's blacked out within its local market, because the games are on television

SoxFan64
04-02-2008, 04:55 PM
And what does that have to do with MLB.tv?

The Iowa Cubs don't count.

Look back to your first post. You said that Iowa does not have professional baseball teams. They do. Six of them.

I want Mags back
04-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Look back to your first post. You said that Iowa does not have professional baseball teams. They do. Six of them.

when people say professional, they typically imply major league
:thumbsup:

anewman35
04-02-2008, 05:18 PM
what are u talking about. It's blacked out within its local market, because the games are on television

Not always true. We're spoiled here (as seen by how much everybody freaked out the few times there was a chance a game wouldn't be on tv), but if you look at the broadcast schedule of any team not in a major media market, there are probably some games not shown on tv in the local market. KC, for example: http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/schedule/broadcast.jsp?c_id=kc

DaBears
04-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Not always true. We're spoiled here (as seen by how much everybody freaked out the few times there was a chance a game wouldn't be on tv), but if you look at the broadcast schedule of any time not in a major media market, there are probably some games not shown on tv in the local market. KC, for example: http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/schedule/broadcast.jsp?c_id=kc

Crazy! 21 games arent televised, thats 13& of their games! Thank G_d I'm not a Royals fan:cool:

I want Mags back
04-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Not always true. We're spoiled here (as seen by how much everybody freaked out the few times there was a chance a game wouldn't be on tv), but if you look at the broadcast schedule of any team not in a major media market, there are probably some games not shown on tv in the local market. KC, for example: http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/schedule/broadcast.jsp?c_id=kc

wow, I had no idea.

sorry for the confusion

and were also spoiled by how many games we still get on free TV. so many of the teams have no aired TV contracts

Rockin Robin
04-02-2008, 06:21 PM

When was I ever talking about minor league ball? I'm talking about the blackout restrictions on Major League teams in Iowa. Are you honestly that dense?

SoxFan64
04-03-2008, 03:41 AM
When was I ever talking about minor league ball? I'm talking about the blackout restrictions on Major League teams in Iowa. Are you honestly that dense?

Robin, You asked "when were you ever talking about the minor leagues?" When you mentioned Iowa did not have professional baseball teams. Professional baseball is BOTH the major leagues and the minor leagues. If you wanted to talk about just the major leagues then you should have chosen your words better.

SoxFan64
04-03-2008, 03:51 AM
when people say professional, they typically imply major league
:thumbsup:

No they don't. The Major Leagues are the highest level of professional baseball. The Minor Leagues are also professional baseball just a lower level of professional baseball from the Major Leagues. Most professional baseball players never played in the major leagues but they were paid for their services.