PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day video - 1961

kba
03-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Here's (http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=1180&p=1) another piece of old White Sox video - from 47 years ago:

The last Opening day at Griffith Stadium - Sox vs. Senators with JFK and LBJ in attendance. Jim Rivera catches one of the president's ceremonial first pitches, then proudly shows off the ball to Nellie Fox. We also learn from Jack Brickhouse that Roy Sievers was Richard Nixon's favorite player.

The Sox starting line-up that day: Aparicio, Fox, Minoso, Sievers, Martin, Smith, Landis, Lollar, Wynn. A lot of Chicago baseball legends in that line-up, but they finished in 4th place.

chisox77
03-31-2008, 03:34 PM
I watched both parts. Thank you. I enjoyed that.

:cool:

LITTLE NELL
03-31-2008, 03:49 PM
I remember that day, I stayed home from school, had a nasty cold(really). I met Jungle Jim about 7 years ago down here in Naples and we talked about the Sox for quite awhile. He gave me an autographed picture taken in 1958.

Lip Man 1
03-31-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm glad "Fuzzy" was able to put that video to good use! Yes, I sent it to him from out of my library.

Lip

kba
03-31-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm glad "Fuzzy" was able to put that video to good use! Yes, I sent it to him from out of my library.

Lip

Great stuff. How did you get it?

Lip Man 1
03-31-2008, 07:58 PM
From an "associate." :D:

Seriously..it's amazing what some folks have saved or been able to get their hands on.

Lip

kba
03-31-2008, 08:02 PM
From an "associate." :D:

Seriously..it's amazing what some folks have saved or been able to get their hands on.

Lip

Brickhouse mentions at the end, "This one is being videotaped," so it must have been pretty unusual in those days. Somebody at Fuzzy's board said it's the second-oldest piece of tape that exists at WGN and says the oldest is Don Cardwell's no-hitter in 1960.

Lip Man 1
03-31-2008, 08:47 PM
WGN (unfortunately) threw out practically all of the videotapes they had from the 50's and early 60's on the Sox and Cubs when they moved into their new location (for that time) on Bradley place. Tossed them right out into the alley!

Who knew anyone would want it? and they weren't about to spend money storing the tapes in a climate controlled environment.

Lip