PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Opening Day games thread

Jjav829
03-31-2008, 12:26 PM
The Yankees and Blue Jays are in a rain delay. The only game going right now is the Tigers and Royals.

Miguel Cabrera looks like he's in really good shape. He did committ an error in the 1st, however. Cabrera just flew out to deep center in his first AB.

I love this day. :bandance:

ksimpson14
03-31-2008, 12:28 PM
Det announcer, "Cabrera's never really played in front of a crowd like this", uhh, how about the World Series :tongue:

Thanks for making the thread, I was about to reply to that other weather one. Looks like weather will be an issue in a number of games today

palehozenychicty
03-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Det announcer, "Cabrera's never really played in front of a crowd like this", uhh, how about the World Series :tongue:

Thanks for making the thread, I was about to reply to that other weather one. Looks like weather will be an issue in a number of games today

Seriously. How people have so little knowledge of required facts for their profession is crazy.

whitesoxfan
03-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Renteria with a 2 out RBI single. 1-0 Tigers.

PorkChopExpress
03-31-2008, 12:55 PM
What happened to DeJesus?

Jjav829
03-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Nice throw, Jose Guillen! Carlos Guillen singled to right, and Jose Guillen threw a strike to get Maggs at home.

palehozenychicty
03-31-2008, 01:01 PM
The Tigers, barring injury, will definitely rake this year. :o:

PicktoCLick72
03-31-2008, 01:06 PM
The Tigers, barring injury, will definitely rake this year. :o:

Also, the Earth barring a series of gigantic meteors hitting it, will rotate around the sun.

DeadMoney
03-31-2008, 01:07 PM
I LOVE the Extra Innings Free Preview - it's spectacular (and at this point I'm still only able to watch one game).

:D:

palehozenychicty
03-31-2008, 01:15 PM
Also, the Earth barring a series of gigantic meteors hitting it, will rotate around the sun.

Grass, barring an avalanche of snow, will turn green for the spring.

JB98
03-31-2008, 01:16 PM
What happened to DeJesus?

DeJesus has a nagging ankle injury that has apparently flared up on him again.

palehozenychicty
03-31-2008, 01:18 PM
Inge in CF is an unusual move.

ksimpson14
03-31-2008, 01:30 PM
The offseason feels like it was years ago, I don't even remember KC offering Hunter 80 million

Verlander is looking good

ksimpson14
03-31-2008, 01:31 PM
Yankees game is officially postponed, will be resched tomorrow

03-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Yankees game is officially postponed, will be resched tomorrow

Hmm with both ESPN and ESPN2 scheduled games either postponed or delayed right now I wonder if the White Sox game will slip onto national TV.

Huisj
03-31-2008, 01:33 PM

Was it Rod Allen who said that?

DeadMoney
03-31-2008, 01:38 PM
HR Cabrera. A laser...

getonbckthr
03-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Thats a scary site for the next 8 years. Miggy just went big shot

Jjav829
03-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Well, it took Miguel Cabrera until his 3rd at-bat to go yard.

ksimpson14
03-31-2008, 01:45 PM
Cabrera goes yard

Was it Rod Allen who said that?

Not the PBP guy, the other guy (sorry, don't know their names). I know he really meant something like having better crowds and support consistently, but yeah, it came out as 'first time in front of a crowd of like this', hey buddy, how about the road games and the playoffs. ;)

Jaffar
03-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Alex Gordon goes deep on Verlander (with a runner on), 3-2 Tigers.

Corlose 15
03-31-2008, 01:52 PM
Nice throw, Jose Guillen! Carlos Guillen singled to right, and Jose Guillen threw a strike to get Maggs at home.

Anyone else think Maggs looks like a soccer mom with long hair?

RockyMtnSoxFan
03-31-2008, 01:55 PM
When Verlander hadn't given up a hit through 3 innings, I thought maybe it was time to start talking about it. But, no need for a jinx, he's already given up hits and runs.

Chicken Dinner
03-31-2008, 02:01 PM
Verlander.....HE GONE!

Huisj
03-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Jason Grilli to the rescue (rescuing KC's hitters so they can hit well).

Jaffar
03-31-2008, 02:06 PM
Royals are putting something together and have tied the game!!! Still have runners on 1st/2nd no out!

TDog
03-31-2008, 02:08 PM
For those that care about relief stats, that was a blown save for Grilli. Verlander had struck out Buck twice. Leyland must have thought Verlander had totally lost it to bring in Grilli.

RockyMtnSoxFan
03-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Where's our own game thread?

Huisj
03-31-2008, 02:19 PM
Cabrera goes yard

Not the PBP guy, the other guy (sorry, don't know their names). I know he really meant something like having better crowds and support consistently, but yeah, it came out as 'first time in front of a crowd of like this', hey buddy, how about the road games and the playoffs. ;)

Yeah that's Rod Allen I bet. He thinks he's a goofy version of Joe Morgan, and most of what he tries to say he botches is some way or another.

santo=dorf
03-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Chris young leaving off from last year. Struck out in his first at-bat, homered in his next.

DeadMoney
03-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Tigers lose. Polanco goes 0 for 6. Ouch!

TDog
03-31-2008, 03:47 PM
This isn't a case of scoreboard watching, but it's always nice to see the Tigers lose. Unfortunately, they won't do it 100 times this year.

turners56
03-31-2008, 03:50 PM
I can't believe KC came all the way back and won. Spoiled Detroit's fun.

I'm still pissed at Cabrera for screwing up that ball hit right at him, it wouldn't be 7-4 right now if he had just made that play. I'm also disappointed at Alexei, he hasn't taken a freaking pitch yet, show some patience jeez.

doublem23
03-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Does anyone know why the Nationals are in Philadelphia today? 1-game series with Atlanta? :scratch:

turners56
03-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Does anyone know why the Nationals are in Philadelphia today? 1-game series with Atlanta? :scratch:

Yea, that's pretty weird. I guess it has to do with their new stadium.

Sabathia is outta there. 7-5

OMG, Lewis comes in throwing crap that isn't even in the zone, what do Crede and Uribe do? Strike out...god we should of dealt away with those two, especially Juan, he swung at three straight pitches that were basically the same thing.

santo=dorf
03-31-2008, 05:24 PM
Hell of a debut for Fukudome.

kevingrt
03-31-2008, 05:27 PM

3-1 count, bomb impressive off a decent closer. Lets see if they can finish this one.

turners56
03-31-2008, 05:28 PM
And a row of hella bad calls by the crappy umpire crew at the Sox game. I guess feet off the bag, phantom tags, and semi-dirty plays (done by both teams) all account as outs. They better change it up on Wedensday, they seriously need to look at their crappy calls and think about it.

kevingrt
03-31-2008, 05:35 PM
For my sanity I would love a Brewers win when I read the paper tomorrow morning and see my friends.

LoveYourSuit
03-31-2008, 05:39 PM
They have the ****odme curtain calls going already....... OMG:rolleyes:

4th Gen. Sox Fan
03-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Brew Crew retake the lead in the 10th 4-3

santo=dorf
03-31-2008, 05:47 PM
They have the ****odme curtain calls going already....... OMG:rolleyes:What? He deserved it. Sox fans gave Thome a curtain call after he hit a homer in his second at-bat.

Riske in to close....

Huisj
03-31-2008, 06:36 PM
This isn't a case of scoreboard watching, but it's always nice to see the Tigers lose. Unfortunately, they won't do it 100 times this year.

I caught a little bit of the Huge Show with Bill Simonson on my way home today, and he was ranting about how if the Tigers can't win with Verlander against the Royals, they are doomed and are a lousy team and chokers. Sounds like he's trying to drive himself out of Michigan the way he drove himself out of Chicago, but being an idiot who badmouths his own area's teams.

getonbckthr
03-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Good god i'm already not liking this Gomez kid on the Twins.:angry:

TDog
03-31-2008, 07:15 PM

It was a hell of a debut for Ron Bloomberg 30 years ago.

sox1970
03-31-2008, 07:19 PM

I hear you. The Twins are underrated, in my opinion.

That's why these division games are all big, even in March.

soltrain21
03-31-2008, 07:21 PM
I was at the Cubs game - the three run homer by Fukudome is the coolest thing I've ever witnessed at a live sporting event.

Prince Fielder is a bad ass in person, and even got a chuckle out of my vegetarian comment.

Chicken Dinner
03-31-2008, 07:22 PM
This has been a very good opening day.......No Red Sox, and no Yankees. :D: What's baseball tonite going to talk about?

MUsoxfan
03-31-2008, 07:23 PM
Jon Miller made it sound like there was a unanimous cheer for Toriiii all night long. I heard a distinct chorus of boos mixed in.

I'm glad opening day is here. I wasn't feeling baseball this year like I normally am, and watching these games today made my mind click back to how it should be at this time of the year

MUsoxfan
03-31-2008, 07:24 PM
I was at the Cubs game - the three run homer by Fukudome is the coolest thing I've ever witnessed at a live sporting event.

Don't get out much, huh?:tongue:

soltrain21
03-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Don't get out much, huh?:tongue:

A three run homer to tie the game in the bottom of the ninth after being 2-2 in your debut? Yeah - that's pretty ****ing cool.

doublem23
03-31-2008, 07:26 PM

Facing Gagne is glorified BP.

Jjav829
03-31-2008, 07:33 PM
A three run homer to tie the game in the bottom of the ninth after being 2-2 in your debut? Yeah - that's pretty ****ing cool.

Absolutely. I know since he's a Cub, a lot of people will rip him/the moment, but that's about as good of a debut as you can have. 3-3 with a walk and a 3-run bomb to tie the game in the bottom of the 9th.

If Alexei Ramirez had done that today, this board would have blown up.

Jjav829
03-31-2008, 07:34 PM
This has been a very good opening day.......No Red Sox, and no Yankees. :D: What's baseball tonite going to talk about?

I know that first part of your comment is somewhat sarcastic, but for anyone who is a fan of good pitching match-ups, Peavy vs. Oswalt tonight in San Diego. :bandance::bandance:

doublem23
03-31-2008, 07:40 PM

That's 3 SB by the Twins now (2 Gomez, 1 Young). Offense looks a little tame but they are going to run.

DeadMoney
03-31-2008, 08:01 PM

If he does that this week, this board will blow up.

As for Fukudome, hell of a debut. He constantly puts the bat on the ball, which IMO is the most valuable thing you can do as a hitter.

LoveYourSuit
03-31-2008, 08:09 PM
The Sox had no room for a Livan Hernandez?

sox1970
03-31-2008, 08:13 PM
The Sox had no room for a Livan Hernandez?

No. You have to develop your own.

gogosox16
03-31-2008, 08:15 PM
About the first time they will meet this season:D:

SoxyStu
03-31-2008, 08:16 PM
Jon Miller made it sound like there was a unanimous cheer for Toriiii all night long. I heard a distinct chorus of boos mixed in.

I'm glad opening day is here. I wasn't feeling baseball this year like I normally am, and watching these games today made my mind click back to how it should be at this time of the year

Thank Christ I am not forced to be subjected to the ESPN morons. I have been watching the Angels broadcast on EI and it definitely seemed to me that Torii was getting his cock sucked plenty by the twinkie fans.

LoveYourSuit
03-31-2008, 08:28 PM
No. You have to develop your own.

Since we have been so good at it. :rolleyes:

Gavin and Danks are not even "their own."

ksimpson14
03-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Props to the Wash. Another win after scoring in the 9th. Looks like Milledge went deep too. I think the Mets are going to regret that move

sox1970
03-31-2008, 09:11 PM
Since we have been so good at it. :rolleyes:

Gavin and Danks are not even "their own."

Well, they're as close to it as possible. Hopefully Poreda and Egbert will pan out too.

turners56
03-31-2008, 09:12 PM
Twins won, with some help from Charlie Reliford. Is today the day of bad umpires or something?

Chicken Dinner
03-31-2008, 09:43 PM
Thank Christ I am not forced to be subjected to the ESPN morons. I have been watching the Angels broadcast on EI and it definitely seemed to me that Torii was getting his cock sucked plenty by the twinkie fans.

3 days of Joe Morgan is more then anyone can take. But I give it to the Twins fans for giving Torii some kudo's. I remember Franks return to the Cell and he got major kudo's until the third time up after hitting 2 homers.

Jjav829
03-31-2008, 09:45 PM
The Giants really are quite stupid. They went out and gave Aaron Rowand a 5-year, $60 million deal. So where does their new $12 million a year player hit today? 6th! Yes, this was their lineup today:

Dave Roberts (OK, he's your leadoff hitter, fine)
Rich Aurilia (what? really?)
Randy Winn (Umm, Ok, I guess)
Bengie Molina (you're kidding?)
Ray Durham (LOL, I'm serious)
Aaron Rowand
Jose Castillo
Brian Bocock
Barry Zito

Ok, regardless of what you think of Aaron Rowand, his value to a team, the contract he received, and whatever else...if you're going to give a guy $12 million a year, shouldn't you find someplace to hit him that is a little higher than 6th in that crappy lineup? To recap, the only three guys who hit behind Rowand were the pitcher, a guy they just claimed on waivers 9 days ago, and a minor leaguer who has hit .241 while never playing above Single-A.

Holy ****. You gotta be kidding me. Talk about a waste of resources.

ksimpson14
03-31-2008, 09:50 PM
The Giants really are quite stupid. They went out and gave Aaron Rowand a 5-year, $60 million deal. So where does their new $12 million a year player hit today? 6th! Yes, this was their lineup today:

Aaron Rowand
Jose Castillo
Brian Bocock
Barry Zito

Ok, regardless of what you think of Aaron Rowand, his value to a team, the contract he received, and whatever else...if you're going to give a guy $12 million a year, shouldn't you find someplace to hit him that is a little higher than 6th in that crappy lineup? To recap, the only three guys who hit behind Rowand were the pitcher, a guy they just claimed on waivers 9 days ago, and a minor leaguer who has hit .241 while never playing above Single-A.

They are such a mess. I think it would be considered a success if they could finish 4th this year, but I doubt they can do that

ksimpson14
03-31-2008, 10:04 PM
Absolutely. I know since he's a Cub, a lot of people will rip him/the moment, but that's about as good of a debut as you can have. 3-3 with a walk and a 3-run bomb to tie the game in the bottom of the 9th.

It would be well deserved, especially when comparing the level of play in Japan to that of Cuba Also to the the fact that it probably had 0 (how about less than 0 chance) of happening :-x

Let's go SD, I hate Oswalt. Also, Pitt/Atl tied at 9 in extras. It's been a real exciting Opening Day

DSpivack
03-31-2008, 10:16 PM
They are such a mess. I think it would be considered a success if they could finish 4th this year, but I doubt they can do that

No way, I expect them to be easily the worst team in baseball. At least they have some good pitching.

FloridaTigers
03-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Loss doesn't phase me. The Red Sox were beaten by the Royals last year Opening Day as well, and we know what they did. Polanco was robbed a few times, and Bautista was impressive. I loved the Cabrera homerun, and he didn't even hit it as good as he could have. :) It just sucks to wait until Wednesday for the next game.

I'm annoyed the Indians won more than the Tigers loss. I'm sick and tired of them.

doublem23
03-31-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm annoyed the Indians won more than the Tigers loss. I'm sick and tired of them.

You think you're annoyed? Apparently you haven't been to the Clubhouse. :tongue:

goofymsfan
03-31-2008, 11:21 PM
Twins won, with some help from Charlie Reliford. Is today the day of bad umpires or something?

While I know a Twins Win isn't a good thing for the Sox, it was good to see the Halos lose!

Deebs14
03-31-2008, 11:32 PM
135.00 ERA for Flash Gordon...yowza!

oeo
03-31-2008, 11:34 PM
Loss doesn't phase me. The Red Sox were beaten by the Royals last year Opening Day as well, and we know what they did. Polanco was robbed a few times, and Bautista was impressive. I loved the Cabrera homerun, and he didn't even hit it as good as he could have. :) It just sucks to wait until Wednesday for the next game.

It would be different if the Tigers had the pitching staff that the 2007 Red Sox had. Sorry, but you're in for a rude awakening...that team is not in as good of shape as you think. Old team, with no depth (Inge in CF...what's next?) and a so-so pitching staff. Sounds like the 2007 White Sox, except the 2008 Tigers have a great offense. Will a great offense win those extra 20+?

Elephant
03-31-2008, 11:39 PM

Aaron Rowand
Jose Castillo
Brian Bocock
Barry Zito

Winn, Molina and Durham are the heart of their order? I'm glad I bought a trip to see the SF series.

FloridaTigers
04-01-2008, 12:03 AM
It would be different if the Tigers had the pitching staff that the 2007 Red Sox had. Sorry, but you're in for a rude awakening...that team is not in as good of shape as you think. Old team, with no depth (Inge in CF...what's next?) and a so-so pitching staff. Sounds like the 2007 White Sox, except the 2008 Tigers have a great offense. Will a great offense win those extra 20+?

Because Granderson, Cabrera, Verlander, Bonderman, and Willis are REAALLY old, right? People think the farm is empty, but its far from it. Bazardo, Iorg, Porcello, Crosby, Worth, and Hollimon are all great prospects. And if it took the Tigers, a team willing to spend on draft picks, a sort time to build, who says we can't do it again?

Our pitching isn't as good as the 2007's Red Sox. Sure. But their offense isn't as good as ours. The Tigers have good starters, but lack a little bit in the bullpen. If Rodney, and Zumaya return, along with Cruceta getting in the country, theres a whole different story there.

harwar
04-01-2008, 05:01 AM

Yea, i swear the guy reminds me of Alex Rodriguez when he first came up with the mariners.

ma-gaga
04-01-2008, 09:00 AM
The Giants really are quite stupid. They went out and gave Aaron Rowand a 5-year, $60 million deal. So where does their new $12 million a year player hit today? 6th!

But he's not a classic #3 hitter [/baseball executive]
"Aaron Rowand, Not a #3 hitter."
[fool1] Hey Stephen, did you hear about our new outfielder?
[fool2] Yes James, too bad he's not a #3 hitter.

Yea, i swear the guy reminds me of [B]Alex Rodriguez when he first came up with the mariners.

HAHAHAHAH!!! That's so damn awesome.
Clearly the Twins totally robbed the Mets blind. Just wait until Humber makes his mid-season debut and starts no-hitting teams left and right. It was the deal of the century!

:gulp::gulp:

palehozenychicty
04-01-2008, 09:13 AM
But he's not a classic #3 hitter [/baseball executive]
"Aaron Rowand, Not a #3 hitter."
[fool1] Hey Stephen, did you hear about our new outfielder?
[fool2] Yes James, too bad he's not a #3 hitter.

HAHAHAHAH!!! That's so damn awesome.
[B]Clearly the Twins totally robbed the Mets blind. Just wait until Humber makes his mid-season debut and starts no-hitting teams left and right. It was the deal of the century!

:gulp::gulp:

I really don't know why the Mets gave up Gomez or Milledge. Both of them will be players in the right environment, and had many flashes of brilliance.

They have glass in Alou and Chavez and a part-timer in Church. Sorry, but that makes no sense, Minaya.

oeo
04-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Because Granderson, Cabrera, Verlander, Bonderman, and Willis are REAALLY old, right?

How about Renteria, Polanco, Sheffield, Ordonez, Guillen, Rodriguez, the two Joneses, Rogers...the beef of that team is very old.

I didn't know having a few young guys made your team young. In that case, I guess the Sox have a pretty young team.

The Twins, Royals, and Indians have young teams. The Tigers and Sox do not.

People think the farm is empty, but its far from it. Bazardo, Iorg, Porcello, Crosby, Worth, and Hollimon are all great prospects. And if it took the Tigers, a team willing to spend on draft picks, a sort time to build, who says we can't do it again?I don't know, it only took 20 years for you guys to 'do it.'

Our pitching isn't as good as the 2007's Red Sox. Sure. But their offense isn't as good as ours. The Tigers have good starters, but lack a little bit in the bullpen. If Rodney, and Zumaya return, along with Cruceta getting in the country, theres a whole different story there.If Bonderman and Rogers have good seasons, then I'll agree that they will be a very good team, but last year's Bonderman matched more of what he's done in his career, and Rogers is closing in on 45. Willis is just awful at this point, and Robertson is Robertson...not great, not terrible.

And if Rodney and Zumaya return for how long? Face it, those guys are made of glass. Also, face the fact that 'The Great Dave Dombrowski' did not fill the obvious holes that hurt the team last year. You all are riding high right now because you acquired Miguel Cabrera, but you just turned your head on the pitching woes they had last year.

palehozenychicty
04-01-2008, 09:33 AM
How about Renteria, Polanco, Sheffield, Ordonez, Guillen, Rodriguez, the two Joneses, Rogers...

I didn't know having a few young guys made your team young. In that case, I guess the Sox have a pretty young team.

The Twins, Royals, and Indians have young teams. The Tigers and Sox do not.

I don't know, it only took 20 years for you guys to 'do it.'

If Bonderman and Rogers have good seasons, then I'll agree that they will be a very good team, but last year's Bonderman matched more of what he's done in his career, and Rogers is closing in on 45. Willis is just awful at this point, and Robertson is Robertson...not great, not terrible.

And if Rodney and Zumaya return for how long? Face it, those guys are made of glass.

Exactly.

ksimpson14
04-02-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm not sure if I'm butchering the stat from memory, but today, Big Frank continued a streak of about 16 (almost sure they said 16, must not count years he started injured) consecutive years with a hit on Opening Day

Scottiehaswheels
04-02-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm not sure if I'm butchering the stat from memory, but today, Big Frank continued a streak of 16 (maybe a few give or take :D )straight Opening Day's with a hit14.. I was watching the first part of the game... Bobby Abreu is second among active MLB players with 11 straight.