PDA

View Full Version : Weather and Baseball...

getonbckthr
03-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Here's the scheduled games for today:
Sox @ Cle
Milwaukee Brewers (dome) @ Cubs
Toronto BJays (dome) @ NYY
Royals (middle of country @Detroit
DBacks (Arizona Dome) @Cincinatti
TBAY (dome) @ Balt.
WASh @ PHI
Mets @ Florida ( hey this one makes sense)
SF @ LAD
Col @ STL
TEX @ Sea (both good for opening day)
LAA @ MIn ( both good)
HOU @ SD ( Both)
PIT @ ATL ( makes sense)
--------------------------------------------
Once again baseball has ****ed this up.

JohnTucker0814
03-31-2008, 01:04 PM
Here's the scheduled games for today:
Sox @ Cle
Milwaukee Brewers (dome) @ Cubs
Toronto BJays (dome) @ NYY
Royals (middle of country @Detroit
DBacks (Arizona Dome) @Cincinatti
TBAY (dome) @ Balt.
WASh @ PHI
Mets @ Florida ( hey this one makes sense)
SF @ LAD
Col @ STL
TEX @ Sea (both good for opening day)
LAA @ MIn ( both good)
HOU @ SD ( Both)
PIT @ ATL ( makes sense)
--------------------------------------------
Once again baseball has ****ed this up.

Doesn't make sense... to put 5 dome teams (Mil, TB, Tor, Ari, Hou) on the road, when there should be no doubt about them at home... then to send 3 warm weather teams on the road (SF, Tex, LAA)... thats 7 games with the potential of bad weather...

No games should be held the 1st week of the season other than in the south, southeast, west or in domes... why take the chance?

itsnotrequired
03-31-2008, 01:09 PM
No games should be held the 1st week of the season other than in the south, southeast, west or in domes... why take the chance?

Because the owners of teams in domes/southern locations don't want the team to be on the road during the peak summer months.

I want Mags back
03-31-2008, 01:12 PM
Flubs getting rained on :tongue:

JohnTucker0814
03-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Because the owners of teams in domes/southern locations don't want the team to be on the road during the peak summer months.

3 of the games getting delayed... TOR at Nyy, Ari @ Cin & Mil @ Chc all could have been avoided!

Why would they care about being on the road in the summer months... the cold weather teams lose attendance because of the cold... southern teams don't have that problem!

DeadMoney
03-31-2008, 01:29 PM
the cold weather teams lose attendance because of the cold... southern teams don't have that problem!

Not exactly, because it has a lot to do with kids still being in school a well. A 'warm weather'/dome team doesn't want to give up games in the 'prime' months (June, July, August) because the kids are out of school, which allows for higher attendance numbers. If they ALWAYS have games in early April, they'd be giving up dates at other times in the year (probably during the summer). Because of this, the ONLY fair way to do it, is to spread it out year-to-year as best as possible.

EDIT: Of course, the way it's done now, they could just do home-and-away weeks the first two weeks (or four) with these teams and level the problem out a little bit. Then, after the first two weeks (or four), everyone would have the same amount of home games and have the same amount of dates the rest of the year.

getonbckthr
03-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Well the 1st casualty of MLB stupidity in the 08 season NYY- Tor cancelled.

Chicken Dinner
03-31-2008, 01:36 PM
3 of the games getting delayed... TOR at Nyy, Ari @ Cin & Mil @ Chc all could have been avoided!

Why would they care about being on the road in the summer months... the cold weather teams lose attendance because of the cold... southern teams don't have that problem!

The only game that really doesn't make sense is the Dbacks/Cin game. At least all the others are inter-divisional games. If the Yanks started on the road the Mets would be having the weather and if the Cubs were in MIL the Sox would be home. It's very rare that two team cities have both teams either home or away. It also can rain in Miami just as easy as anywhere else.

skottyj242
03-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Well the 1st casualty of MLB stupidity in the 08 season NYY- Tor cancelled.

I thought I just saw them warming up on ESPN?

itsnotrequired
03-31-2008, 01:39 PM

No one seemed to be complaining about this a couple years ago when the weather was nice. If it wasn't raining today, this thread owuldn't even exist. All it takes is a few snow/rain outs and some people are up in arms.

Baseball has opened in northern towns for over a century. No need to reinvent the wheel now.

getonbckthr
03-31-2008, 01:42 PM
I thought I just saw them warming up on ESPN?
They just called it.
No one seemed to be complaining about this a couple years ago when the weather was nice. If it wasn't raining today, this thread owuldn't even exist. All it takes is a few snow/rain outs and some people are up in arms.

Baseball has opened in northern towns for over a century. No need to reinvent the wheel now.
True. However now that we have run into it it is an issue.

Huisj
03-31-2008, 01:43 PM
It also can rain in Miami just as easy as anywhere else.

But it's not raining there, and the schedule makers should have known it wouldn't rain there today back when they made the schedule. Didn't they look at the 10-week hour-by-hour outlook? This day has been pegged for rain in the midwest since last November.

skottyj242
03-31-2008, 01:46 PM
Flubs getting rained on :tongue:

National Anthem being sung as I type.

SoxyStu
03-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Not exactly, because it has a lot to do with kids still being in school a well. A 'warm weather'/dome team doesn't want to give up games in the 'prime' months (June, July, August) because the kids are out of school, which allows for higher attendance numbers. If they ALWAYS have games in early April, they'd be giving up dates at other times in the year (probably during the summer). Because of this, the ONLY fair way to do it, is to spread it out year-to-year as best as possible.

I don't buy it. Are you implying that dome teams are holding the league hostage to get more home games during summer months because of kids? If so, that sure is a hell of a lot of power. Also, wouldn't making financial decisions based on fickle kids be the worst possible plan of action to make a buck? If anything, I believe the league accommodates more to the working person more than the kid, and rightly so; the working person is the one with the wallet.

It's Dankerific
03-31-2008, 01:56 PM
I think the least stupid one was the NYY game. they were trying to give Yankee Stadium its last Opening day (as opposed to a home opener.)

all the rest, thats some crazy ****.

DeadMoney
03-31-2008, 01:58 PM
I don't buy it. Are you implying that dome teams are holding the league hostage to get more home games during summer months because of kids? If so, that sure is a hell of a lot of power. Also, wouldn't making financial decisions based on fickle kids be the worst possible plan of action to make a buck? If anything, I believe the league accommodates more to the working person more than the kid, and rightly so; the working person is the one with the wallet.

They certainly aren't holding MLB hostage, because as I said, they try to spread it out evenly from year-to-year. Holding MLB hostage would be to ONLY put Opening Day games in the cold weather cities (which they don't do).

As far as I can tell, MLB does this as fairly as they recognize how. Are there other ways ... absolutely there are; there's no denying that.

skottyj242
03-31-2008, 02:01 PM
The Cubs can thank starting this game on Roger Bossard.

itsnotrequired
True. However now that we have run into it it is an issue.

And next year, if the weather is nice, no one will care.

Baseball survived before domed stadiums, it will survive a day of rain.

DeadMoney
National Anthem being sung as I type.

Based on what just hit here in DeKalb ... this Cubs game has about two innings (maybe less) before it REALLY opens up on them for 10 minutes or so.

Fenway
03-31-2008, 02:51 PM
The Red Sox usually open on the road to avoid bad weather in Boston.

Also they HAVE to be home on the third Monday of April for Patriots Day.

Red Sox this year will be sick of openers.

They will have
opened in Japan
opened in Oakland
opened in Toronto
and then finally at home next week for their rings.

comet2k
03-31-2008, 03:16 PM
A co-worker suggested a later start to the season, which many others have, and he thinks April 15 or 16 would be a good opening day to time it with the tax deadline. Of course it can still rain in mid-April, but at least it's a "warmer" rain (like a "dry" heat?) and there's less chance for snow.

DSpivack
03-31-2008, 06:08 PM
Doesn't make sense... to put 5 dome teams (Mil, TB, Tor, Ari, Hou) on the road, when there should be no doubt about them at home... then to send 3 warm weather teams on the road (SF, Tex, LAA)... thats 7 games with the potential of bad weather...

San Francisco is not a warm weather city.

Lip Man 1
03-31-2008, 07:15 PM
SoxyStu:

The 'school' issue is actually true. MLB opened the season as much as possible in warm weather / domed sites from I think 1989 to 1992. Those teams screamed bloody murder about all the weekday attendance they were losing because kids weren't out of school yet.

So MLB said "OK" we'll go back to the 'old way.' Risking injuries to players, forcing fans to freeze and being forced to play a lot of make up double headers.

Sounds logical to me.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
03-31-2008, 07:41 PM
SoxyStu:

The 'school' issue is actually true. MLB opened the season as much as possible in warm weather / domed sited from I think 1989 to 1992. Those teams screamed bloody murder about all the weekday attendance they were losing because kids weren't out of school yet.

So MLB said "OK" we'll go back to the 'old way.' Risking injuries to players, forcing fans to freeze and being forced to play a lot of make up double headers.

Sounds logical to me.

Lip

They could eliminate the "April school night attendance problem" just fine by scheduling more home games in the "cold weather" cities (and road games for the "warm weather/dome teams") in September and May, when the weather usually is nicer, but when school is in session.

It was over 80 degrees today in Dallas/Fort Worth. It's usually very nice in Texas in early April. But the Rangers open in Seattle.
:kukoo:

Chicken Dinner
03-31-2008, 07:53 PM
They could eliminate the "April school night attendance problem" just fine by scheduling more home games in the "cold weather" cities (and road games for the "warm weather/dome teams") in September and May, when the weather usually is nicer, but when school is in session.

It was over 80 degrees today in Dallas/Fort Worth. It's usually very nice in Texas in early April. But the Rangers open in Seattle.
:kukoo:

But it's raining and they're in a dome.......it's snowing in MIN and they're playing also. The only games that had issues were NY and STL, and if the yanks didn't get postponed the Mets would have. STL and COL was a crap shoot but I still think the first series should be inter-divisional.

SoxyStu
03-31-2008, 08:05 PM
They certainly aren't holding MLB hostage, because as I said, they try to spread it out evenly from year-to-year. Holding MLB hostage would be to ONLY put Opening Day games in the cold weather cities (which they don't do).

As far as I can tell, MLB does this as fairly as they recognize how. Are there other ways ... absolutely there are; there's no denying that.

I agree...lately they have been trying to spread it around. I also stand corrected about your school comment; I do not remember the hullabaloo over it and I couldn't make sense of it.

skottyj242
04-01-2008, 09:52 AM
The Red Sox usually open on the road to avoid bad weather in Boston.

Also they HAVE to be home on the third Monday of April for Patriots Day.

Red Sox this year will be sick of openers.

They will have
opened in Japan
opened in Oakland
opened in Toronto
and then finally at home next week for their rings.

What did the people of Boston do to deserve this?