PDA

View Full Version : What are the odds today's game gets played?

doublem23
03-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Anyone heard any news on the field condition in Cleveland? Not to mention, it looks like rain, rain, and more rain in the Forest City.

When was the last time Opening Day was postponed? :(:

http://image.weather.com/images/maps/forecast/map_wkpln_day1_3usne_enus_440x297.jpg

BoysMom3
03-31-2008, 12:11 PM
I was wondering the same thing, Dub. It's pouring here, and it makes me worried about the weather in Cleveland. I'll be so disappointed if they don't play today!

voodoochile
03-31-2008, 12:13 PM
According to the hour by hour breakdown, they picked exactly the wrong time to start this game.

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/USOH0195?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

They aren't always perfect obviously, but looks like a long rain delay at some point in time.

In 2006 though, the Sox played a real long home opener and the umps let 'em finish.

They might be able to make it up tomorrow though if they have to, only predicting AM rain then with the rest of the day having only a 20% chance of rain. However it's going to have dropping temps and lots of wind once the rain moves out, so they'd have plenty of time to get the game in, but the conditions will still suck.

sox1970
03-31-2008, 12:15 PM
If this was a noon start Chicago time, they'd get the game in no problem.

The two extra hours may cost them. Tomorrow looks like a washout in Cleveland, so they'll stay until they get at least 5 innings in.

aryzner
03-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Jeez it looks like if that was expanded, it'd be raining in every single area of the country.

AZChiSoxFan
03-31-2008, 12:17 PM
I'll be really mad if they don't play today! I used a vacation day to stay at home to catch opening day! Don't they know that?

doublem23
03-31-2008, 12:24 PM
I was wondering the same thing, Dub. It's pouring here, and it makes me worried about the weather in Cleveland. I'll be so disappointed if they don't play today!

Yeah, the construction crews at my building tripped the fire alarm, causing a massive evacuation... right in the height of the thunderstorm in downtown Peoria.

:raincloud:

UofCSoxFan
03-31-2008, 12:24 PM
Could someone explain to me why CLE is opening at home this year after what happened last year...7 days of straight snow? I'm not saying it should be in Chicago. On the contrary I think that very rarely should a northern outdoor team open at home (the exception being the former league champion and cases where it isn't avoidable in the schedule). That 1 to 2 weeks really can make a huge differencce weather wise.

While I'm on my soapbox, how much sense does it make for the Cubs to open at home against Milwaukee when MIL has a roof?! Unreal.

UglySince83
03-31-2008, 12:40 PM
they'll play, i say it gets delayed around 2hrs, it wont start till 4.

kobo
03-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Minnesota is lucky they still have a dome, it's snowing up there and they are expecting 12 inches to fall today.

skottyj242
03-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Why is Tampa Bay starting in Baltimore?

redsand22
03-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Why is Tampa Bay starting in Baltimore?
I don't understand why they would start like this. I mean shouldn't common sense be used when making the schedule at least in the early weeks of April? :scratch:

jdm2662
03-31-2008, 12:52 PM
Minnesota is lucky they still have a dome, it's snowing up there and they are expecting 12 inches to fall today.

Just wait until they open the new stadium with no roof.

delben91
03-31-2008, 12:52 PM
Still 2 hours to gametime, but looks ok to me...

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/coldandflu/map/USOH0195?from=36hour_map

:dunno:

areilly
03-31-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't understand why they would start like this. I mean shouldn't common sense be used when making the schedule at least in the early weeks of April? :scratch:

$$$

Opening Day is pretty much a guaranteed sellout for every team hosting a game, so my guess is they just schedule around who hasn't had one lately, who has a new stadium, and who's closing a stadium.

Common sense, as we all know, is not part of MLB's strategy.

doublem23
03-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Could someone explain to me why CLE is opening at home this year after what happened last year...7 days of straight snow? I'm not saying it should be in Chicago. On the contrary I think that very rarely should a northern outdoor team open at home (the exception being the former league champion and cases where it isn't avoidable in the schedule). That 1 to 2 weeks really can make a huge differencce weather wise.

While I'm on my soapbox, how much sense does it make for the Cubs to open at home against Milwaukee when MIL has a roof?! Unreal.

In a perfect world, the player's union would let the MLB schedule every team for 7-10 double headers in a year so they could move the Opener back to mid-April.

sox1970
03-31-2008, 01:03 PM
In a perfect world, the player's union would let the MLB schedule every team for 7-10 double headers in a year so they could move the Opener back to mid-April.

They should shorten the season to 156. There's one week. If each team had three scheduled day/night doubleheaders, there's another week, but they don't lose the revenue on the day/night DH's.

voodoochile
03-31-2008, 01:04 PM
$$$

Opening Day is pretty much a guaranteed sellout for every team hosting a game, so my guess is they just schedule around who hasn't had one lately, who has a new stadium, and who's closing a stadium.

Um... every teams home opener is pretty much a guaranteed sell out, so eventually they all get them...

As Lip pointed out in another thread, they used to have more early season games in warm weather climates, but since school is still in session and it's early in the year, the games after the opener don't draw that well compared to summer games, so those teams complained about lost revenue and the system got changed to what we have now.

God forbid baseball should actually have a viable revenue sharing plan in place...

doublem23
03-31-2008, 01:20 PM
God forbid baseball should actually have a viable revenue sharing plan in place...

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/brandnewday/archives/stein.jpg
Not on my watch.

UofCSoxFan
03-31-2008, 01:30 PM
$$$

Prior to 2006, after the World Series, han't it been like 13 years or so since the sox openened the season at home? Yeah, it may not be fair, but come on. The point should be to have the best opportunity to get the game in. Playing a game in 40 degree weather and rain/snow isn't fun for the fans or the players and in many cases can be avoided.

Money really isn't a factor, as was said, almost every team sells out their opener.

skottyj242
03-31-2008, 01:47 PM
Prior to 2006, after the World Series, han't it been like 13 years or so since the sox openened the season at home? Yeah, it may not be fair, but come on. The point should be to have the best opportunity to get the game in. Playing a game in 40 degree weather and rain/snow isn't fun for the fans or the players and in many cases can be avoided.

Money really isn't a factor, as was said, almost every team sells out their opener.

We won 1-0 on Opening Day at home in 2005.

sox1970
03-31-2008, 01:49 PM

2005!!!!1

That was a good day.

BRDSR
03-31-2008, 01:50 PM

And their lone run was unearned. Ironically, it was one of the most beautiful early-April days I've ever experienced in Chicago.

Prior to that, it had been quite a while since the Sox had opened at home.

sox1970
03-31-2008, 01:54 PM
And their lone run was unearned. Ironically, it was one of the most beautiful early-April days I've ever experienced in Chicago.

Prior to that, it had been quite a while since the Sox had opened at home.

I think 1990, which was the last year at the old park, and it only happened because of the lockout.

Stormin' Norm
03-31-2008, 02:38 PM
I live and work just outside of Cleveland:whiner: and the weather is surprisingly nice today. There is a little sun peaking though some clouds and the temp feels to be in atleast the mid fifties. Now whether this holds up is another story altogether. :gulp:Here's to hopefully a great start to the 08 season by the Sox!

BoysMom3
03-31-2008, 02:44 PM
That's great to hear Norm! Yeah, hopefully the weather holds out. Dub, that didn't sound like a fun evacuation.

ksimpson14
03-31-2008, 03:01 PM
I live and work just outside of Cleveland:whiner: and the weather is surprisingly nice today. There is a little sun peaking though some clouds and the temp feels to be in atleast the mid fifties. Now whether this holds up is another story altogether. :gulp:Here's to hopefully a great start to the 08 season by the Sox!

Thanks for the update!

Stormin' Norm
03-31-2008, 03:18 PM
No prob guys! Wish I could be there giving updates from the park. I just sent a text to a few of my friends who happen to be tribe fans letting them know that I hope the beer is cold and tastes good because its going to be a long day for them.

doublem23
03-31-2008, 03:49 PM
I would not mind a rain out right now.

:angry:

RockJock07
03-31-2008, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the way this season has started

PatK
03-31-2008, 03:57 PM
No kidding.

The way the game is going, I'll take the crappy weather.