PDA

View Full Version : vote "WRONG" on tonight's myfoxchicago.com poll

Jason82807
03-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Tonight's question: The Cubs will have a better season than the White Sox

RadioheadRocks
03-30-2008, 10:14 PM
My vote's in... currently Right = 52.38%, Wrong = 47.62% (63 total votes)

hsnterprize
03-30-2008, 10:41 PM
My vote's in... currently Right = 52.38%, Wrong = 47.62% (63 total votes)So is mine...as of 9:40 PM, it's 55.3% Wrong and 44.6% Right with 130 votes in.

IceczMan
03-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Just voted and as of 10:51, 58.43% Wrong.

Parrothead
03-30-2008, 11:56 PM
You people don't actually believe that the Sox will be better than the Cubs this year, do ya? You meant to put your comments in teal I bet.

Anyway, "right" would be the correct answer.

voodoochile
03-31-2008, 12:02 AM
You people don't actually believe that the Sox will be better than the Cubs this year, do ya? You meant to put your comments in teal I bet.

Anyway, "right" would be the correct answer.

:crossdresser
"I love you to, Parrothead."

Parrothead
03-31-2008, 12:07 AM
:crossdresser
"I love you to, Parrothead."

Thanks, and you're hot. Come out to section 106 on Opening day or on Apr 11th and I will buy you a :gulp::D:

LoveYourSuit
03-31-2008, 12:19 AM
I wish that poll had option "C" as this below:

:whocares

I'm tired of these annoying cubs/sox polls.

voodoochile
03-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks, and you're hot. Come out to section 106 on Opening day or on Apr 11th and I will buy you a :gulp::D:

I am sure he'll take you up on that offer...

CubKilla
03-31-2008, 12:46 AM
Cubs might actually make noise in that pathetic Division. Worst Division in recent memory. An 80 win team might take 1st.

LoveYourSuit
03-31-2008, 01:00 AM
Cubs might actually make noise in that pathetic Division. Worst Division in recent memory. An 80 win team might take 1st.

Which makes those ridiculous polls even more sensless.

AL = very good

NL = very bad

Cubs winning 100 games is equal to the Sox winning 80.

TDog
03-31-2008, 04:25 AM
I think people around here, and in Chicagoland in general (that's a curious term for a metro area -- friends in Oregon don't tell me about Portlandland, but I digress), exaggerate the weakness of the NL Central and the strength of the AL Central. Strangely enough, some of the people who believe the AL Central is the toughest division in baseball also predict only two of its teams will win more games than they lose.

On the eve of the 2008 season, for Cubs fans, it is a reason for optimism. For Sox fans, it is an excuse for failure. Among Cubs-hating Sox fans, it's an excuse for anticipated Cubs success. Among Sox-hating Cubs fans, it's a reason to ignore the White Sox.

I can't believe the optimism among Cubs fans this year, but the "weak division" stuff keeps even the default pessimists among them going. I don't know that Cubs fans are any more excited than they were going into 1985 or 2004, or even 1970 when things didn't go well.

People are overrating what I see the Cubs' pitching amounting to this year. Nobody is overrating the White Sox. I think there's a great chance this season that one of Chicago's teams will surprise people.

ksimpson14
03-31-2008, 04:42 AM
Maybe it applies better when you say 'division', but I still disagree TDog. I think Toronto wins the NL Central. I think Tampa Bay contends easily. I don't see Kansas City doing worse than Pittsburgh. That division is just so damn weak and it hurts the credibility of the NL. Going on multiple years now

Is Mil better than a team like Toronto? I don't think so, and they're probably the biggest threat to the Cubs. Stl, Hou, Cin, Pitt, all garbage with a ton of holes, who need one of those 'miracle' years where everything goes right and prospects become studs to make any noise. I'll give the East and West credit, at least there's a little more competition, but still, in the end, the pitching is still diluted, which really hit me when the Dbacks who had this pitching rep had Doug Davis as their #2. I think the 'no DH' aspect does make a difference. Just too many cases of average AL pitcher becoming great in the NL (and vice versa). We'll see what happens to a Latroy Hawkins this year

TDog
03-31-2008, 05:30 AM
I doubt Tampa Bay contends in the NL. I doubt they win 80 games.

I don't doubt that the Mets and Phillies would contend in the AL East -- although I wonder if the Mets will bounce back from last year's historic collapse.

The White Sox had a much better record against the AL Central than against the NL last year. A baseball season isn't a computer game that takes what players should do based on past performance. It's a human game. And a baseball team can be a fragile thing.

I don't know how the 2008 season will turn out, but it's a lot more complicated than "AL good, NL bad."