PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Opening Night Braves-Nats thread

Jjav829
03-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Thoughts on the Nats new stadium? Looks kinda bland on TV. Reminds me of Citizens Bank Park.

Did anyone see BBTN's report on the stadium? The women doing the report said her favorite seat in the park was the one way in the upper deck corner. Her reason? Because from that seat you can see the Washington Monument, the Capitol... as well as the HD scoreboard and the entire stadium. :?:

Anyway, Tim Hudson vs. *sigh* Odalis Perez :rolleyes: is your match-up tonight.

DoItForDanPasqua
03-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Thoughts on the Nats new stadium? Looks kinda bland on TV. Reminds me of Citizens Bank Park.

Did anyone see BBTN's report on the stadium? The women doing the report said her favorite seat in the park was the one way in the upper deck corner. Her reason? Because from that seat you can see the Washington Monument, the Capitol... as well as the HD scoreboard and the entire stadium. :?:

Anyway, Tim Hudson vs. *sigh* Odalis Perez :rolleyes: is your match-up tonight.

It's not a bad park, but it's not remarkable either. It's a step up from RFK.

Jjav829
03-30-2008, 07:21 PM
It's not a bad park, but it's not remarkable either. It's a step up from RFK.

Anything is a step up from RFK. It sounds like a nice park to visit.

DoItForDanPasqua
03-30-2008, 07:24 PM
. *sigh* Odalis Perez :rolleyes:

With Hill hurt and Perez starting on opening night, it's hard to think things will go well for the Nats this season.

Jjav829
03-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Not even 1 out by the Nationals, and Joe Morgan has already said:

"In Christian Guzman and Ronnie Belliard, the Nationals have two guys who do a lot of positive things."

Lastings Milledge has "unlimited potential."

It's gonna be a long night of crappy announcing from Joe Morgan. It's been a while.

4th Gen. Sox Fan
03-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Is that one of the 'Cavemen' from the Geico commericals behind home plate :scratch:

manders_01
03-30-2008, 07:47 PM
During the Civil Rights game yesterday, the announcers were discussing how high the overhead camera here is. I have to agree, it looks like those shots are takin from the Goodyear blimp! Way too high for my taste.

Jjav829
03-30-2008, 08:19 PM
During the Civil Rights game yesterday, the announcers were discussing how high the overhead camera here is. I have to agree, it looks like those shots are takin from the Goodyear blimp! Way too high for my taste.

I like them. It gives you a different depth perception and some better angles down the line.

Jerko
03-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Is tonight the Presidential Opener or something? I have to hear Miller say it 200 times before I can be positive.

doublem23
03-30-2008, 08:28 PM
I would have bet every cent I owned that George Washington was going to win the first race in the new park.

:cool:

DSpivack
03-30-2008, 08:31 PM
I would have bet every cent I owned that George Washington was going to win the first race in the new park.

:cool:

Teddy is still winless...

Corlose 15
03-30-2008, 08:38 PM
What the hell are the Braves thinking with these uniforms? I have no problem with the blue tops but the lettering for ATLANTA is just white outlines of the blue shirts and the numbers and names have no piping around them. Incredibly bland, they look like a high school or AAU team.

JGarlandrules20
03-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Oh, Jon Rauch. It seems like just yesterday he was making starts in that dreaded 5th starter spot.

ksimpson14
Rauch makes history, first blown save in the new park!

Fire Manny Acta!

Jjav829
No Chad Cordero for the 9th. Rauch takes the ball...and blows the save on a passed blow, which proceeded a Teixeira double and Franceour groundout.

Tie game going to the bottom of the 9th.

ksimpson14
also, willie harris and mackowiak sightings

areilly
03-30-2008, 09:42 PM

You left out the part where she also said she liked that it was a $5 day-of-game ticket to sit up there. If I lived in D.C., and wasn't particularly invested in what happened on the field, I would be up there quite a bit myself. Spectacular view from where she was.

doublem23
03-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Zimmerman walks off. Not a bad way to start.

Jjav829
03-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Zimmerman walks off. Not a bad way to start.

Yeah, that's a nice way to open a park.

You left out the part where she also said she liked that it was a $5 day-of-game ticket to sit up there. If I lived in D.C., and wasn't particularly invested in what happened on the field, I would be up there quite a bit myself. Spectacular view from where she was.

Didn't hear that part. Still think it's a bit weird. :smile:

ksimpson14
03-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Go crazy!

oeo
03-30-2008, 09:48 PM
That ball really carries to straight-away center. Neither Zimmerman or Chipper's dingers looked like homeruns in most parks, but just line drives that didn't come down.

DSpivack
03-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Rauch makes history, first blown save in the new park!

Fire Manny Acta!

No Chad Cordero for the 9th. Rauch takes the ball...and blows the save on a passed blow, which proceeded a Teixeira double and Franceour groundout.

Tie game going to the bottom of the 9th.

A passed ball is an error and thus an unearned run, no? So no BS for Rauch?

Great ending; I can't wait to get the park when the Nats return in 10 days or so.

TDog
03-31-2008, 02:37 AM
A passed ball is an error and thus an unearned run, no? So no BS for Rauch? ...

A passed ball technically is not an error. A pitch is not a fielding chance. A passed ball doesn't affect a catcher's fielding percentage in any way. It is a fielding mistake, however, Reconstruct the inning without the passed ball, and if the run wouldn't have scored, the run is unearned. Obviously, this run was unearned.

The fact that the run is unearned, however, does not mean Jon Rauch did not surrender the lead. He was on the mound when his team lost a one-run lead in the ninth inning. That means he blew the save.

He also got the win.

EndemicSox
03-31-2008, 05:04 AM
Architecturally/aesthetically speaking, that stadium is beyond horrific...

Rockin Robin
03-31-2008, 07:39 AM
That ball really carries to straight-away center. Neither Zimmerman or Chipper's dingers looked like homeruns in most parks, but just line drives that didn't come down.

I think it had something to do with that weird camera angle on fly balls. They all looked like they were shot from a blimp, they need to lower that thing a bit.

LoveYourSuit
03-31-2008, 01:49 PM
I know security there must have been at a high level, but I wonder what goes thru the president's mind to walk out there by himself in front of 40K (most of them boo birds) and stand in the middle of the mound.

Those had to have been the longest 30 seconds of his life.

Jollyroger2
03-31-2008, 06:03 PM
I know security there must have been at a high level, but I wonder what goes thru the president's mind to walk out there by himself in front of 40K (most of them boo birds) and stand in the middle of the mound.

It's not the first time he's done it, he threw out the opener in 05 at RFK. I was there for that one. Didn't get there last night.

Jollyroger2
03-31-2008, 06:04 PM
With Hill hurt and Perez starting on opening night, it's hard to think things will go well for the Nats this season.

2-0 to start though. Not bad. Their offense could probably be much, much better but their starting pitching is really thin.

DSpivack
03-31-2008, 06:09 PM

He probably got a big kick out of it--he's a huge baseball fan and was on the air for an inning and a half. I believe it's the 6th time he's thrown out a first pitch while President.

Architecturally/aesthetically speaking, that stadium is beyond horrific...

I think it looks pretty damn nice. :dunno:

LoveYourSuit
03-31-2008, 08:14 PM
He probably got a big kick out of it--he's a huge baseball fan and was on the air for an inning and a half. I believe it's the 6th time he's thrown out a first pitch while President.

I think it looks pretty damn nice. :dunno:

I don't recall where I head it, but someone suggested that he would be a great Commisioner for this game ...... I would agree 100%.

asg2003ws2005
03-31-2008, 09:37 PM
I don't recall where I head it, but someone suggested that he would be a great Commisioner for this game ...... I would agree 100%.Every Business he has run went under or hemmoraged money with the exception of the Rangers. But he just found a sucker to buy that one for way too much.
Most presidents devote thier post-presidency years to philanthropic endeavors. I think Bush will do the same.
And besides, who knows how long Selig's going to be in charge? He's already commited to the end of 2012, almost 4 years after Bush leaves office.