PDA

View Full Version : A Century of Futility

russ99
03-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Here it is: all 99 years, year by year:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=cubs/0919&sportCat=mlb

I thought I'd get a chuckle, reading through, but it's pretty sad, actually. Thank goodness the Sox won one, or we'd be in the same boat.

Next time a Cub fan wants to lay down some smack, point them in that direction...

cws05champ
03-29-2008, 08:32 PM

I thought I'd get a chuckle, reading through, but it's pretty sad, actually. Thank goodness the Sox won one, or we'd be in the same boat.

Next time a Cub fan wants to lay down some smack, point them in that direction...

I don't want to even click on the link...it's about two things I do not care for; the Cubs and ESPN. No thanks!

soxfanreggie
03-29-2008, 08:56 PM
I would rather clean my toilets than read that article.

RKMeibalane
03-30-2008, 12:37 PM

You're assuming that Cubs fans know how to read.

RadioheadRocks
03-30-2008, 07:07 PM
You're assuming that Cubs fans know how to read.

With the glut of Cub propaganda (oops, I meant books) on the shelves at Borders, Barnes and Noble, Amazon.com, etc. that seems to be the general assumption.

Railsplitter
03-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Here's to TWO centuries of Schlub futility. :cheers::gulp:

Elephant
03-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Pretty cool article. Lots of interesting historical stuff, for instance brutal SS Bobby Mattick--.218 and 38 errors (Clayton and Valentin rolled into one!)--went on to help build the Blue Jays mini-dynasty in the 90s.

An amazing fact: The Cubs are so horrible [in the 50s] that they don't spend a single day in first place by more than one game.

:rolling:

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-31-2008, 07:13 AM
I would rather clean my toilets than read that article.
I woke up and WGN was at their glory - Tomasulo was going to break the curse, Potash and Baumgarten were live across the street, Konrad was on the field, and that features reporter was at a bar.

I left for work early. I hop ethey give the same coverage next Monday to the Sox opener.

Scottiehaswheels
03-31-2008, 07:30 AM
I hope they give the same coverage next Monday to the Sox opener.You must be as delusional as Cub fans if you think that'll happen.

Viva Medias B's
03-31-2008, 07:44 AM
I woke up and WGN was at their glory - Tomasulo was going to break the curse, Potash and Baumgarten were live across the street, Konrad was on the field, and that features reporter was at a bar.

I left for work early. I hop ethey give the same coverage next Monday to the Sox opener.

NBC 5's morning crew was outside Wrigley Field by the Ernie Banks statue, and Rob Elgas said they'll all be at U.S. Cellular Field on Monday too.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-31-2008, 08:26 AM
You must be as delusional as Cub fans if you think that'll happen.

First off - I'm offended. :tongue:

Second - I didn't teal it because I wasn't being sarcastic...but I know that they'll be "some" coverage.....but Potash and Baumgarten won't be at the Cell at 6AM.

DumpJerry
03-31-2008, 08:30 AM
Sox home openers get similar coverage locally.

Elephant
03-31-2008, 08:31 AM
First off - I'm offended. :tongue:

Second - I didn't teal it because I wasn't being sarcastic...but I know that they'll be "some" coverage.....but Potash and Baumgarten won't be at the Cell at 6AM.

The same coverage for the Sox isn't warranted this year. The Cubs are coming off a playoff season and are favored in their division. We're coming off a 4th place season and are primed for an encore.

Viva Medias B's
03-31-2008, 08:50 AM
The same coverage for the Sox isn't warranted this year. The Cubs are coming off a playoff season and are favored in their division. We're coming off a 4th place season and are primed for an encore.

:darkcloud::chickenlittle

Come on. No, I am not picking us to make the playoffs. I have us in third place with 80-85 wins. Disappointingly, that is not a trip to the playoffs for us, but it's a big improvement from the malaise of 2007.

turners56
03-31-2008, 09:55 AM
After reading that, I have a sense of feeling that the Cubs are indeed, cursed.

Foulke You
03-31-2008, 08:53 PM

Be thankful you missed the 12 Noon WGN news. It literally gushed with Cubpaganda. The anchors three times saluted Cubs fans as and I quote the "best in professional sports". They watched a live feed at Wrigley around 12:30 (45 min before 1st pitch) and were in awe of the people in their seats sitting in the rain and chilly weather followed by yet another "they truly are the best in professional sports". (Memo to WGN anchors, it is normal for most teams to sellout Opening Day regardless of weather.)

ChiSoxGirl
03-31-2008, 09:57 PM
Be thankful you missed the 12 Noon WGN news. It literally gushed with Cubpaganda. The anchors three times saluted Cubs fans as and I quote the "best in professional sports". They watched a live feed at Wrigley around 12:30 (45 min before 1st pitch) and were in awe of the people in their seats sitting in the rain and chilly weather followed by yet another "they truly are the best in professional sports". (Memo to WGN anchors, it is normal for most teams to sellout Opening Day regardless of weather.)

Their whole morning and early afternoon was filled with Cubbie programming, with the exception of the 9a hour. I did hear Robin Baumgarten say something like, "Don't worry, all you Sox fans out there, we'll be broadcasting live from Sox Park next Monday for their Home Opener."

A friend of mine at school, who's neutral with her baseball fandom, saw me in my Sox polo this morning and asked, "Why has no one mentioned that the Sox also have their Opening Day today? I was watching WGN Morning News and they didn't even mention that the Sox opened today. Why is that?" I told her that this is how it's always been and part of the reason why some Sox fans can be so jaded and defensive.

Grzegorz
04-01-2008, 04:51 AM
After the White Sox lost I was a little disappointed. I walked into my parent's house where my father was watching the Cubbies.

Ryan Braun is at bat and he hits a pop up behind the plate that Soto, the Cubs catcher
begins to chase the ball back towards the screen.

The wind catches the ball and pushes it towards the third base line. Soto chased this pop up all the way. It was really quite an effort.

Aramis Ramirez didn't move an inch...

It was then that I knew that we'd be all right. :smile:

PatK
04-01-2008, 08:32 AM
When they showed highlights on the news, it sure looked like there were a ton of empty seats.

The best fans in professional sports didn't stick around for the whole game on Opening Day?

Sad
04-01-2008, 08:47 AM
After the White Sox lost I was a little disappointed. I walked into my parent's house where my father was watching the Cubbies.

Ryan Braun is at bat and he hits a pop up behind the plate that Soto, the Cubs catcher
begins to chase the ball back towards the screen.

The wind catches the ball and pushes it towards the third base line. Soto chased this pop up all the way. It was really quite an effort.

Aramis Ramirez didn't move an inch...

It was then that I knew that we'd be all right. :smile:

Ramirez is lazy... always has been...

kittle42
04-01-2008, 09:55 AM
When they showed highlights on the news, it sure looked like there were a ton of empty seats.

The best fans in professional sports didn't stick around for the whole game on Opening Day?

It's a lot warmer inside the Cubby Bear, Murphy's, and Bernie's.

WizardsofOzzie
04-01-2008, 10:34 AM

They stopped selling beer after the 7th :smile: