PDA

View Full Version : Recent White Sox book discovery

RadioheadRocks
03-29-2008, 08:25 PM
While I was back in Chicago last week I picked up a copy of the new Lew Freedman book, Then Ozzie Said To Harold... The Best Chicago White Sox Stories Ever Told (includes a pretty cool bonus CD with audio highlights from Game 1 of the 1959 World Series). While at a Barnes and Noble location I also came across a photo book about the last season of Comiskey Park that was apparently released in 2006 that I had no idea even existed. The book, 1990: So Long Old Comiskey Park is a photo essay by James J. Klekowski and is full of some stunning black and white photos taken during the final season of the old park (much in the same vein as Peter Elliott's Park Life where he documented the park during the 1977 season). Klekowski is from the southeast side of Chicago and also worked as a location scout for several major motion pictures including "Only The Lonely". The book also has several pictures taken during the filming of the first date picnic scene with John Candy and Ally Sheedy. Needless to say I'm quite happy to find this book, and apparently it's only available through Barnes and Noble (I couldn't find it anywhere on Amazon). Here's the ISBN number 978-0-9714950-2-9 and a link to an article regarding the book:

http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2007/05/05/entertainment/books/doc770874223ff0ba94862572c8005f4f49.prt

And believe it or not, Lew Freedman has another Sox book coming out at the beginning of April (Game of My Life: Chicago White Sox) , so the White Sox bibliography grows... :bandance:

PalehosePlanet
03-29-2008, 11:11 PM
I have a Barnes & Noble in the building where I work downtown; hopefully they'll have both books in stock come Monday.Thanks for the tip.

soxfan21
03-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Just picked up the "Then Ozzie Said to Harold" book, looks like a good read, hopefully I can start getting some reading in tonite and tomorrow.

35th&Shields
04-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Thanks. I was a freshman in high school in '90 and remember that last season very, very well. I don't mean to sound overly dramatic or romantic, but when Old Comiskey was torn down I really felt like my childhood was officially over.

I have to go cry now. :whiner:

D. TODD
04-03-2008, 11:00 AM
I just picked up that book along with "The Entitled" by Frank DeFord this weekend but I have not started either yet.