PDA

View Full Version : Cubs #3 White Sox #9

Fenway
03-29-2008, 12:32 PM
in the cost of going to the ballpark

The FCI is a representative look at the costs for a family of four to attend a Major League Baseball game. It is comprised of four average tickets, as calculated through a weighted formula, two beers, four soft drinks, four hot dogs, parking for one car, two programs and two adult-sized caps

EXCEL FORMAT
http://teammarketing.com.ismmedia.com/ISM3/std-content/repos/Top/News/TMR%20FCI%2008.xls

The leaders

Boston #1
Yankees #2

2 cheapest? Anaheim and Tampa Bay

BTW I would like to know where the $27 parking lot for Fenway is :rolling:

BRDSR
03-29-2008, 12:45 PM

The FCI is a representative look at the costs for a family of four to attend a Major League Baseball game. It is comprised of four average tickets, as calculated through a weighted formula, two beers, four soft drinks, four hot dogs, parking for one car, two programs and two adult-sized caps

There are so many things wrong with this formula:

1) Six drinks? If the adults are buying their kids two soft drinks each, they must be looking to get gouged and have a hankering for overly-energetic children. If they're buying themselves a beer and a soft drink, who does that? It should either be two beers, two soft drinks or four beers, two soft drinks.

2) Mix it up a little with the food. Try some nachos, maybe a lemon chill, or a churro. Does everyone really have to get the exact same thing?

3) Only a sucker parks at a baseball game, at least in Chicago. Make it four tickets on the CTA and the whole day is at least $10 cheaper.

4) Two programs? What the hell? Buy one and take turns for Christ's sake.

5) Two adult-sized caps? Either buy your children a souvenir or not, but why would the adults be buying souvenirs for themselves and then complaining about the cost of attending a baseball game?

Steelrod
03-29-2008, 12:47 PM

EXCEL FORMAT
http://teammarketing.com.ismmedia.com/ISM3/std-content/repos/Top/News/TMR%20FCI%2008.xls

The leaders

Boston #1
Yankees #2

2 cheapest? Anaheim and Tampa Bay

BTW I would like to know where the $27 parking lot for Fenway is :rolling:Next to the $17 Cub parking!

KenBerryGrab
03-29-2008, 02:06 PM
If they're buying themselves a beer and a soft drink, who does that? ---

3) Only a sucker parks at a baseball game, at least in Chicago. Make it four tickets on the CTA and the whole day is at least $10 cheaper.

1> Would be me. I like a beer to start the ballgame and segue to Coke.

3> Coming from across the state line, with two kids, it's much easier to park at the yard than get on a train at, say, Cumberland, especially with sleepy ones after a night game.

jabrch
03-29-2008, 02:35 PM
BTW I would like to know where the $27 parking lot for Fenway is :rolling:

I think the closest $27 parking to Fenway that I know of is the airport...IN HARTFORD.

BRDSR
03-29-2008, 02:36 PM
1> Would be me. I like a beer to start the ballgame and segue to Coke.

3> Coming from across the state line, with two kids, it's much easier to park at the yard than get on a train at, say, Cumberland, especially with sleepy ones after a night game.

1) You're goofy. The price of both beer and Coke is prohibitive for me, though...if I get thirsty I seek out one of the three water fountains on the concourse level. Hopefully by the time I have kids I'll be rich enough to buy them a Coke at a baseball game. By then it'll probably be $7.50.

3) Fair enough.

TDog
03-29-2008, 03:10 PM
I have always found these surveys to be deceptive in that they don't apply to me.

When I go to a game, I pay for a ticket and maybe a brat and/or a Pepsi. I didn't buy any concessions are deal with parking at all when I went to Giants and A's games last summer. Mass transit is less than half the cost of parking. I also sat in the upper deck because of the obscene price of seats near the field that didn't seem very full anyway.

HomeFish
03-29-2008, 03:12 PM
I agree that this formula does not represent AT ALL what the average baseball fan buys at a game, but it's unfair to every team equally, unless there are some teams that jack up the cost of beer but not soda and vice-versa.

I'm shocked that Anaheim is such an affordable place to see a game. Guess I'll have to visit one day.

It's Dankerific
03-29-2008, 03:20 PM
But who buys a couple hats EVERY time they go to a game? ;)

pearso66
03-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Coming from up north where I'm from, if you have 1 person, it is cheaper to take the train down, but once you get to 2 people, it is slightly less to drive and park. When you get to 3 or 4 people, it is definitely cheaper to drive. Maybe you're #3 should should be changed to if you live in or near the city. It is $10 round trip for a train ticket to the city from up here.

btrain929
03-29-2008, 06:12 PM
There are so many things wrong with this formula:

1) Six drinks? If the adults are buying their kids two soft drinks each, they must be looking to get gouged and have a hankering for overly-energetic children. If they're buying themselves a beer and a soft drink, who does that? It should either be two beers, two soft drinks or four beers, two soft drinks.

2) Mix it up a little with the food. Try some nachos, maybe a lemon chill, or a churro. Does everyone really have to get the exact same thing?

4) Two programs? What the hell? Buy one and take turns for Christ's sake.

5) Two adult-sized caps? Either buy your children a souvenir or not, but why would the adults be buying souvenirs for themselves and then complaining about the cost of attending a baseball game?

You ever hear of tailgating? A lot of people save money by parking at the park. Pay to park there and start drinking 2 hours before the game, which limits the amount of beer you have to buy in the stadium. Not to mention the convenience factor of not having your face pressed against the window on the way home from the game since those trains are so ****ing crowded....

Frontman
03-29-2008, 06:20 PM
I drive down to games just because its annoying to head back downtown to head past the ballpark on the train. Plus, the train that services Tinley/Orland takes over an hour to get out here stopping every 3-4 blocks; after the 20-30 minutes to get downtown (and that's if the times link up properly.)

But a lot of the "average" expenses in that report is laughable. Most ballparks have value meals or deals (like the hot dogs early at USCF, for example.) Also, who buys programs every game? And I know for a fact I don't buy a souvenier every game. (I do buy usually for either memorable events like my son's first game, or if I need a new cap, as I go through one a year wearing it daily for work.) But every game? Hardly.

Railsplitter
03-29-2008, 07:17 PM
But who buys a couple hats EVERY time they go to a game? ;)
Or any game?

Tailgating is awesome. You don't even need a grill. I've bought Chef's Kitchen fried chicken from Jewel Throw some beverages in the cooler, bring a few chips, or anything else you like to nibble on and you're set.

itsnotrequired
03-29-2008, 07:45 PM
I agree that this formula does not represent AT ALL what the average baseball fan buys at a game, but it's unfair to every team equally, unless there are some teams that jack up the cost of beer but not soda and vice-versa.

Exactly. The only way to make an accurate comparison is to compare like purchases for every team. Of course no one is buying hats and balls every time they go to the game but it serves as a starting point for discussion. The report would be idiotic if parking was included for some teams and not others, beer was included for some and not others and so on...

Oblong
03-29-2008, 08:20 PM
I understand the need to balance things out and be consistent when comparing from team to team. You need to make an effort to compare apples to apples. But the problem with this study is the general public, usually a non baseball or sports fan, will use it to bash the game. "It costs $250 to take your family to the game now!!!!"

I buy my tickets in January, $1000K for two seats, 27 games. When I go to a game I have a $20 and a $10 in my pocket and I usually come back with the $10. I drive and my ticket partner pays for parking, $5-10, and buys me a beer. Then we call it even. Granted it costs him more out of pocket but I pay for the gas and the time going to his house and going back to mine. He also gets to have 3 or 4 beers and I can only have 2.

itsnotrequired
03-29-2008, 11:06 PM
I understand the need to balance things out and be consistent when comparing from team to team. You need to make an effort to compare apples to apples. But the problem with this study is the general public, usually a non baseball or sports fan, will use it to bash the game. "It costs $250 to take your family to the game now!!!!"

TMR makes the same studies for other sports. NFL was clocking in at an average of $281 for the same purchases back in 2007. NHL was $282 and the NFL was a whopping $367. The MLB average was $167 in that same year.

Baseball is by far the cheapest sport to attend of the "major four".

PalehosePlanet
03-29-2008, 11:27 PM
You ever hear of tailgating? A lot of people save money by parking at the park. Pay to park there and start drinking 2 hours before the game, which limits the amount of beer you have to buy in the stadium. Not to mention the convenience factor of not having your face pressed against the window on the way home from the game since those trains are so ****ing crowded....

Exactly, you also save alot of money on food by eating a couple of chops or burgers in the lot. I usually only buy a couple of churros and a few more beers inside the park on days that we tailgate.

Oblong
03-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Another difference is between the casual fan who might go once or twice a year, if that, and fans like us. If I were to only go once a year then I might splurge on all the goodies when I got there. I rarely eat at the games. I get food vouchers, that's about it. Maybe a bag of peanuts but that's from the peanut guy outside.

gogosox16
03-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Another difference is between the casual fan who might go once or twice a year, if that, and fans like us. If I were to only go once a year then I might splurge on all the goodies when I got there. I rarely eat at the games. I get food vouchers, that's about it. Maybe a bag of peanuts but that's from the peanut guy outside.
I never eat at the game, Always tailgate:bandance:

UofCSoxFan
03-31-2008, 10:06 AM
People are definitely making fair points about how the index is not representative of what they buy at a game, or even what a typical fan buys, but its meant to provide a baseline so all parks can be equally compared. The hats act as a proxy for concessions, the bear and soda both included is meant to capture both beer and soda sales, etc...it is much more informative to look at relative positioning rather than the actual dollar figure that is attached.

I don't find it shocking at all that the Sox are number 9. In fact, I'm a bit surpised they aren't a bit higher. Chicago is an expensive city for sure.

BRDSR
03-31-2008, 11:44 AM
I buy my tickets in January, $1000K for two seats, 27 games.

$1M for 54 tickets?! You, my friend, are getting ripped off.

gr8mexico
03-31-2008, 12:23 PM
1) You're goofy. The price of both beer and Coke is prohibitive for me, though...if I get thirsty I seek out one of the three water fountains on the concourse level. Hopefully by the time I have kids I'll be rich enough to buy them a Coke at a baseball game. By then it'll probably be $7.50.

3) Fair enough.
When I get thirsty I just go behind home plate level and sign up for the Dont drink and drive program for a free soda :bandance:.

jenn2080
03-31-2008, 01:17 PM
I rarely eat at the games since we tailgate. I really do not drink at the games during the week(except Friday) so I get the DD drink and that saves me $4 a game.

asg2003ws2005
03-31-2008, 01:26 PM
This survey makes no mention of discount days, kids clubs, or food promotions.

It's a poor guide to estimating ballpark prices

jenn2080
03-31-2008, 02:05 PM
This survey makes no mention of discount days, kids clubs, or food promotions.

It's a poor guide to estimating ballpark prices

Not everyone gets discounts or kids club or food promotions. So why would they include it?

asg2003ws2005
03-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Not everyone gets discounts or kids club or food promotions. So why would they include it?
teams advertise these things FOR A REASON.