PDA

View Full Version : Hate to sound like Dark Clouds but...

white sox bill
03-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Rain forecasted for Mondays opener v Cleveland, high 52. Both sandwich days (Sun and Tuesday) indicate same. With the rough winter we just came off, there could be a ton of postponed games to be made up later in season. Hopefully the rain will hold off and MB and Co can get a 2 hr victory over CC and the Mistake by the Lake

tick53
03-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Yeah, Tom Skilling was kind of predicting that forecast a week ago. They should all start in warm weather towns or as much as I hate them....domes.

Chicken Dinner
03-29-2008, 12:13 PM
It sounds like the field is in bad shape also.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2008/03/field_not_fit_yet_for_boys_of.html

russ99
03-29-2008, 12:14 PM
What do we expect for the end of March in Cleveland...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we didn't have such constant schedule irregularities (such as the Sox paltry 9 home games in the entire month of May) when actual people were creating the schedules.

Ever since the computer-based firm outbid the old schedule makers in 2004 (link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1936328)) overall the schedules have been pretty awful. Certain common-sense things go out the window when you remove the human element.

ksimpson14
03-29-2008, 12:15 PM
I think we can all agree that Cleveland sucks

BRDSR
03-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Alright, as long as the home opener isn't rained out. I'm flying in for 36 hours just to go to that game.

thomas35forever
03-29-2008, 01:17 PM
I guess Rachel Phelps secretly bought the Tribe again (no teal necessary).

Chicken Dinner
03-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Looks like bad weather in Memphis today also.

http://www.weather.com/weather/map/interactive/USTN0325?from=search

manders_01
03-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Looks like bad weather in Memphis today also.

http://www.weather.com/weather/map/interactive/USTN0325?from=search

As long as that storm isn't moving SE, the game may be okay. I hope so - without the MLB package on TV, I cling to nationally televised games with everything I've got.

BTW - OP - no pun intended on this title? :cool:

LoveYourSuit
03-29-2008, 01:51 PM
With plenty of domes and warm city ballparks.... no reason to schedule games in the midwest and NE.

They need to get this right for once.

CubKilla
03-29-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm predicting 52 and partly sunny for 04/07 :smile: at 3:05, 48 and mostly cloudy at 5:00, and 44 and overcast by games end.

Let's see how much better (or worse) my forecast is 9 days before the "professional" weathermen.

Mohoney
03-29-2008, 04:58 PM
With plenty of domes and warm city ballparks.... no reason to schedule games in the midwest and NE.

They need to get this right for once.

It would be nice if they did this, but the warm weather teams would certainly suffer at the gate in those April weekday games with the kids still in school.

It's a delicate balance between better weather/fewer rainouts and disproportionate numbers of April and May home games.

FedEx227
03-29-2008, 05:01 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we didn't have such constant schedule irregularities (such as the Sox paltry 9 home games in the entire month of May) when actual people were creating the schedules.

Ever since the computer-based firm outbid the old schedule makers in 2004 (link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1936328)) overall the schedules have been pretty awful. Certain common-sense things go out the window when you remove the human element.

Aka Milwaukee opening the season... IN WRIGLEY.

and playing a majority of their first month games away from Miller Park... you know... a domed stadium.

Cuck the Fubs
03-29-2008, 05:03 PM
It's not opening day in Chicago unless there's a windchill & flurries :D:

asg2003ws2005
03-29-2008, 05:25 PM

Sox and cubs are OUT of town may 1-5

YET, both are home aug 8-10\
sox host boston
cubs host st. louis

real smooth, schedule gods

Lip Man 1
03-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Mohoney:

MLB actually did this in the late 80's / early 90's for I think four years. They slated as many games opening as possible in California, domed stadiums ect.

Those clubs then started screaming bloody murder saying that because it was in April kids weren't out of school so they weren't drawing squat during the week. So MLB went back to the "old way."

You know losing a lot of games to weather, forcing fans to freeze and risking million dollar players to leg and arm injuries.

:rolleyes:

Yep, ol' Bud sure knows how to lead an organization.

I don't care how much those clubs scream... if you are going to insist on playing games the first two weeks in April, you only play them in California, Arizona, Texas, Florida, Atlanta, domed stadiums and if absolutely necessary to balance things out, in Washington or Baltimore or Cincinnati or St. Louis.

Period.

Lip

Railsplitter
03-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Then there's the Division Series. In 1986, the last time March 31 fell on a Tuesday before the Wild Card came about, the season began April 6. The powers that be don't want baseball in November if they can avoid. it.

MarySwiss
03-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Aka Milwaukee opening the season... IN WRIGLEY.

and playing a majority of their first month games away from Miller Park... you know... a domed stadium.

Well, there you go! Definition of stupid right there!

Lip Man 1
03-29-2008, 09:29 PM
As well as the Angels opening at Minnesota!

Lip