PDA

View Full Version : Brent Musberger Returns to Baseball

Brian26
03-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Musberger will call ESPN's Opening Night game tomorrow between the Nationals and Braves. This is his first baseball game since the famous Game 5 clincher in '95 on ABC between the Mariners and Yankees (Griffey scored from first on a double by Edgar off Black Jack, Musberger focused on Griffey the entire time as if he knew he was going to score).

In the paper yesterday morning, Musberger is quoted as saying he was offered a position to be Harry's partner in the early 90s on Cubs broadcasts. This seems odd since Steve Stone was a fixture there. Was Stone's contract ever up, or is it possible Musberger was offered the radio job instead (which would mean he would join Harry for the 4th thru 6th innings), or did he mean to say early 80s (which seems unlikely since he was working CBS's national NFL coverage then)?

Lip Man 1
03-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Actually Brent considered a position at WGN-TV after not having his contract renewed by CBS Sports.

I communicated on this with him because I met him in March 1988 at the men's final four in Seattle, we struck up a friendship and after he was let go, I wrote him at his home in Connecticut.

Remember he worked as a sportswriter covering the Sox for the Chicago American before joining WBBM-TV in the mid 60's as the weekend sports anchor working with Bruce Roberts and Johnny Morris.

I told him he was a Chicago-type guy... to come back home.

He said he gave it very serious thought but felt there simply wouldn't have been enough to do (at that time all WGN was showing were the Cubs and Bulls) and took an offer from ABC Sports instead.

Lip

Viva Medias B's
03-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Jon Miller and Joe Morgan are doing the Braves-Nats game on ESPN. Musburger is doing the Brewers-Cubs game on ESPN2 Monday.

LoveYourSuit
03-30-2008, 12:45 AM
Actually Brent considered a position at WGN-TV after not having his contract renewed by CBS Sports.

I communicated on this with him because I met him in March 1988 at the men's final four in Seattle, we struck up a friendship and after he was let go, I wrote him at his home in Connecticut.

Remember he worked as a sportswriter covering the Sox for the Chicago American before joining WBBM-TV in the mid 60's as the weekend sports anchor working with Bruce Roberts and Johnny Morris.

I told him he was a Chicago-type guy... to come back home.

He said he gave it very serious thought but felt there simply wouldn't have been enough to do (at that time all WGN was showing were the Cubs and Bulls) and took an offer from ABC Sports instead.

Lip

The Brent/Laving/Andrews crew for College Hoops is by far my favorite out there and thank God they do most of the Big Ten games on ESPN.

Brent is great at what he does.