PDA

View Full Version : Opening day pregame Wrigley vs Cell

Dread Farmer
03-29-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm going to opening day for the Sox and the Cubs.
The same group of 9 will attend both games.
The 5 Cubs fans in the group already have the whole day planned pre and post game. Every radio station in town seems to have plans for a remote and many are bringing live bands.

So far our only Sox plans are to tailgate - cheap but cold and boring at 8am or Mike North at Lux bar. Lux bar? They might as well have a Sox remote in Cubbie Naperville! Isn't there any events planned around the cell with live bands or other indoor activities.
I can already hear my buddies bragging about Big Head Todd (yuk) and all the hot single girls in Wrigleyville - I don't think I can beat that aspect?!?

Please give me some ideas to trump the "Spring Break at Wrigley" ugh!

Rocky Soprano
03-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Sox fans go for the BASEBALL not for "spring break" activities.

IceczMan
03-29-2008, 12:09 PM
A good baseball game at a nice ballpark and hopefully a white sox winner should be enough.

Brian26
03-29-2008, 12:11 PM

:rolling:

Elephant
03-29-2008, 12:13 PM
The 5 Cubs fans in the group already have the whole day planned pre and post game. Every radio station in town seems to have plans for a remote and many are bringing live bands.

So far our only Sox plans are to tailgate - cheap but cold and boring at 8am or Mike North at Lux bar. Lux bar? They might as well have a Sox remote in Cubbie Naperville! Isn't there any events planned around the cell with live bands or other indoor activities.
I can already hear my buddies bragging about Big Head Todd (yuk) and all the hot single girls in Wrigleyville - I don't think I can beat that aspect?!?

Try Mitchell's or Jeanne's. They're bound to have something fun going on for opening day.

Or get a big tailgate together...something you can't do at Wrigley.

Also, it's perfectly fine to have, you know, fun before and at games. You're not any less of a fan for it, and there's more to a day at the park than "FOCUSING ON THE GAME." You can easily do both.

kninchicago
03-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Tailgate, bring extra beer, hand it out to other parkers to make friends, play catch or bags, come up with some awesome food ideas, make a mix CD to play from in your car while you're standing around. Sounds fun to me, but then again going to a packed bar doesn't.

TomBradley72
03-29-2008, 12:25 PM

So far our only Sox plans are to tailgate - cheap but cold and boring at 8am or Mike North at Lux bar.

If you have 9 people going...you'll probably spend (at least) $30/person at the Wrigleyville bars on pregame beer, food, etc. If everyone chips in that much for your tailgate...you can buy alot of great food to grill, beer to drink, etc. for $270. It just takes a little planning. If you actually find a way to make an Opening Day tailgate "boring"...you have no one to blame but yourself.

FYI...the White Sox opener starts at 3pm....so you probably want to think of an 11am/Noon start...not sure exactly when the lots will open.

Trying to "re-create" the Wrigleyville experience around USCF is unrealistic. Just like recreating a Sox game experience of mostly knowledgable fans really into the game in a nice stadium with World Series banners cannot be "recreated" at Wrigley Field.

spiffie
03-29-2008, 01:02 PM
If you have 9 people going...you'll probably spend (at least) $30/person at the Wrigleyville bars on pregame beer, food, etc. If everyone chips in that much for your tailgate...you can buy alot of great food to grill, beer to drink, etc. for $270. It just takes a little planning. If you actually find a way to make an Opening Day tailgate "boring"...you have no one to blame but yourself.

FYI...the White Sox opener starts at 3pm....so you probably want to think of an 11am/Noon start...not sure exactly when the lots will open.

Trying to "re-create" the Wrigleyville experience around USCF is unrealistic. Just like recreating a Sox game experience of mostly knowledgable fans really into the game in a nice stadium with World Series banners cannot be "recreated" at Wrigley Field.
The problem is its still 9 of you huddled around a vehicle in a parking lot on a 45 degree day hoping it doesn't rain too hard. Maybe if you're lucky you get to throw bean bags at some wood with a hole in it. I know for a good chunk of Sox fans that's the height of fun, but I can empathize with the complaint that if you want to do anything else before a game you're not likely to be doing it down by the park.

Elephant
03-29-2008, 01:11 PM
The problem is its still 9 of you huddled around a vehicle in a parking lot on a 45 degree day hoping it doesn't rain too hard. Maybe if you're lucky you get to throw bean bags at some wood with a hole in it. I know for a good chunk of Sox fans that's the height of fun, but I can empathize with the complaint that if you want to do anything else before a game you're not likely to be doing it down by the park.

Yeah the weather is sure to suck knowing what the winter's been like.

And it is about time a few bars opened closer than a mile away on Halsted.

hi im skot
03-29-2008, 01:21 PM

I hate fun.

kninchicago
03-29-2008, 01:26 PM
People seemed to handle the cold weather at the St. Pat's day just fine, what's the difference now :scratch:

Elephant
03-29-2008, 01:30 PM
People complain about 50 degrees for baseball, but they have no problem with 25 for football.

:shrug:

TomBradley72
03-29-2008, 01:32 PM
People complain about 50 degrees for baseball, but they have no problem with 25 for football.

But there are no bars around Soldier Field...how can it be fun?

TomBradley72
03-29-2008, 01:37 PM

Not arguing with that...the guy was asking for the best way to have pregame fun before a Sox game...putting some effort into setting up a tailgate is the best way to go. You dress warm, you bring comfortable chairs, a few umbrellas just in case...it's Chicago, it's an outdoor sporting event played in early April...if 45 degrees and potentially some rain is going to ruin it for you..then wait to go to a game until later in the season. No matter what you do before the game...there's going to be a 3 hour baseball game where you'll be sitting outside.

sox1970
03-29-2008, 01:41 PM

I'll take 45 if it's sunny and no wind.

getonbckthr
03-29-2008, 01:51 PM
People seemed to handle the cold weather at the St. Pat's day just fine, what's the difference now :scratch:
When you start drinking at 7 am you don't realize it.

Football is a different mindset. Baseball is summer, green grass, beer and tank-tops. Football is cold and violent.

kninchicago
03-29-2008, 02:06 PM
When you start drinking at 7 am you don't realize it.

Football is a different mindset. Baseball is summer, green grass, beer and tank-tops. Football is cold and violent.

It's opening day, i'd think the drinking will start early for those who make an event of it.

spiffie
03-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah the weather is sure to suck knowing what the winter's been like.

And it is about time a few bars opened closer than a mile away on Halsted.
The 10-day forecast at weather.com is saying high of 48 and a 60% chance of rain.

Elephant
03-29-2008, 02:30 PM
The 10-day forecast at weather.com is saying high of 48 and a 60% chance of rain.

http://www.soxandthecity.net/smilies/whoamgyb1.gif

pdimas
03-29-2008, 02:46 PM
I will be going to both games as well.

Plan on going to the bars at 6am for the Cubs game.

Plan on tailgating in Lot B three hours before game time with tons of food, booze, and bags games. Tailgating trumps the bars by far.

pdimas
03-29-2008, 02:47 PM

I've done it for about 5 years and always end up spending way more than that. Wrigleyville is expensive because they can be.

Elephant
03-29-2008, 02:54 PM

Plan on tailgating in Lot B three hours before game time with tons of food, booze, and bags games. Tailgating trumps the bars by far.

Three hours? http://www.soxandthecity.net/smilies/whoamgyb1.gif

manders_01
03-29-2008, 02:55 PM

I concur. I'd much rather be tailgaiting then being in a bar. It's not like your group are going to be the only people out there. Everyone there is going to be pumped - it will be like a party atmosphere there. Like TB72 said, make an event out of it and you'll have loads more fun than spending time in some Wrigleyville bar.

Elephant
03-29-2008, 02:56 PM
I concur. I'd much rather be tailgaiting then being in a bar. It's not like your group are going to be the only people out there. Everyone there is going to be pumped - it will be like a party atmosphere there. Like TB72 said, make an event out of it and you'll have loads more fun than spending time in some Wrigleyville bar.

But what about girls? Girls!

CubKilla
03-29-2008, 03:00 PM

Why don't you just become a Cubs fan? Opening Day is for BASEBALL, not bars or "Big Head Todd."

And who can't have fun tailgating?

How about you spend the AM of 04/07 in Wrigleyville and take the Red Line to USCF about 45 minutes before game time :rolleyes:?

Elephant
03-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Why don't you just become a Cubs fan? Opening Day is for BASEBALL, not bars or "Big Head Todd."

And who can't have fun tailgating?

How about you spend the AM of 04/07 in Wrigleyville and take the Red Line to USCF about 45 minutes before game time :rolleyes:?

This post is of a low quality.

manders_01
03-29-2008, 03:24 PM
But what about girls? Girls!

If the OP wants to pay for my plane ticket I'll come! :tongue:

sullythered
03-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Schaller's. Or Cobblestones. Both are way better than any Lakeview bar.

Elephant
03-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Schaller's. Or Cobblestones. Both are way better than any Lakeview bar.

Schaller's is a horrible old man bar.

sullythered
03-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Schaller's is a horrible old man bar.
With awesome food, incredible history, and one of the nicest wait staffs in the whole of Chicago. Jackie Schaller is an absolutely awesome guy, and it's a fantastic place for Sox fans. I go to bars for camaraderie and conversation. I've never had a problem there. "Old man" bars are usually way more tolerable than "young" bars with loudmouth *******s with barbed wire tatoos all over the place.

SOXSINCE'70
03-29-2008, 04:02 PM
I concur. I'd much rather be tailgaiting then being in a bar.

Tailgating is the way to go!! :cool:

Palehose Pete
03-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Tailgate, bring extra beer, hand it out to other parkers to make friends, play catch or bags, come up with some awesome food ideas, make a mix CD to play from in your car while you're standing around. Sounds fun to me, but then again going to a packed bar doesn't.

Nice. I'm so looking forward to next Monday and the noon game that Saturday. Tailgating in Lot G... it can't be beat.

soxfan21
03-30-2008, 11:09 AM

I totally agree with you on this one. It's Opening Day, no matter if its nice out or not it is the start of a brand new year for our Sox. I would rather be in a parking lot at the Cell drinking beer, eating some hot dogs and throwing bags for a few hours than be in a wrigleyville bar, paying ballpark prices for a bottle of beer, and being in a "frat" type atmosphere before Opening Day.

cheezheadsoxfan
03-30-2008, 12:33 PM

Well put.:cool:
I'm going to opening day with upper deck seats. How scary is it really? I've heard it's like the Bradley Center. Also, what time does any pregame stuff on the field start? I haven't been to an opening day in years.

PalehosePlanet
03-30-2008, 12:50 PM

As many have suggested tailgating is the route to take here, especially since you have a large group. The bigger the group, the more fun it is. And although I usually tailgate in lot F, and sometimes in lot B, lot G definitely seems to have the best (i.e. rowdiest) atmosphere.

As for my opening day plans, since there is only 2 of us, we'll probably head over to Pancho Pistolas on 31st for a Mexican lunch, then head over to Mitchell's on Halsted afterwards for few brews.

itsnotrequired
03-30-2008, 12:58 PM
get drunk in outer space

TomBradley72
03-30-2008, 01:55 PM
[quote=cheezheadsoxfan;1832352]Well put.:cool:
I'm going to opening day with upper deck seats. How scary is it really? [quote]

They aren't "scary" at all...especially since they chopped off the top 8 rows and put the roof on. Almost every new major league park's upper deck probably starts about where USCF's does....since you reference the Bradley Center in Milwaukee...I'd say it's not really different than being in the top deck at Miller Park.