PDA

View Full Version : New scoreboards in AZ & KC debut this season

skobabe8
03-28-2008, 02:14 PM
http://www.daktronics.com/profiles/DD1319658.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3078/2344942586_e263e5e07a.jpg

Phoenix- The board, which will cost an estimated $10 million to $12 million, will be 144 feet wide and 55 feet high. It will be 900 square feet larger than the biggest existing board, at Atlanta's Turner Field.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/thechefs2003/1206714273401.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/thechefs2003/1206721208417.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/thechefs2003/1206721211182.jpg

Corlose 15
03-28-2008, 02:17 PM
I think the Sox need to update the Cell's scoreboard. Make it the biggest in the league like it used to be in the 70s.

twentywontowin
03-28-2008, 02:19 PM
I think the Sox need to update the Cell's scoreboard. Make it the biggest in the league like it used to be in the 70s.

If they made the board they have now one big screen, it'd be close.

skobabe8
03-28-2008, 02:29 PM

Plus, like the Royals have done, they can shape the entire structure as a screen. Not just a recangle TV.

oeo
03-28-2008, 02:42 PM

Yeah, uh, the Sox video board sucks. That Arizona one looks ultra nice (probably the KC one too, but the picture quality is bad).

tebman
03-28-2008, 03:25 PM
The Sox have fallen behind the curve. It was Veeck's monster scoreboard in 1960 that showed MLB what could be done with some imagination. Since then technology and other teams have run far ahead.

Veeck's original board led the league both in information and goofiness. I'm not sure what the Sox could do now to create that same effect. It's not just about how big the video screen is. It's all about how much useful information is on there and how much creativity there is in the way it's set up.

LoveYourSuit
03-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Plus, like the Royals have done, they can shape the entire structure as a screen. Not just a recangle TV.

anybody have pictures of KC's renovations so far?

Irishsox1
03-28-2008, 04:01 PM
The Sox's current score board is bigger than the old one, it's just that the stadium got bigger so it seems smaller.

As for the video quality, the Sox installed a HD screen a couple of years ago. Yes, they could go much bigger compared to other MLB parks, but it's very good.

anewman35
03-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Baltimore's getting a new scoreboard, too. Don't know if there are pictures of the new one out there, but you can see the old one being removed at http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/ballpark/index.jsp

I do think the Sox upgraded a few years too early (sort of like how they built the park a few years too early), because now the scoreboard situation pales in comparision to some teams. My dream situation is that one day they'd replace all the big billboard signs with scoreboards - a big video wall one one side, for replays and stats and etc, and a modern out-of-town board on the other, with up-to-date info on who's up and and pitching and all that. True, it would cut down on the huge ads, but I'm sure they could make plenty (maybe more?) by putting smaller ads around the scoreboard, or just using space on the scoreboards for electronic ads, like other parks have. Under this scenario, I'm not sure what they'd use the current main board for, but I suppose it could be just a dedicated count/linescore like we used to have.

There's no reason it couldn't happen, just that somebody would have to put up the money. One day, though.

Another thing that would make me so happy would be to actually show some useful information (even if it's just duplicated from other boards) on the "ribbon" boards, not just ads and pictures. I know other parks do it. And it wouldn't cost a cent. Ah well.

Hitmen77
03-28-2008, 04:29 PM
http://www.daktronics.com/profiles/DD1319658.jpg

Phoenix- The board, which will cost an estimated $10 million to $12 million, will be 144 feet wide and 55 feet high. It will be 900 square feet larger than the biggest existing board, at Atlanta's Turner Field.

A main scoreboard that actually shows scores. Wow, I wish we had one. It's an embarrassment that the Sox main scoreboard shows very little game information.

Our aux board shows the the score and other game info. One problem though - view of it is obstructed for many seats on the 3B side. :mad:

Harry Potter
03-28-2008, 04:35 PM

Somebody email Brooks

Law11
03-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Our board is loaded with ads that are as big as the actual video board.
And lets not get started on those lame aux boards in right field that take 6 innings to update a score.

They need to make a scoreboard that engulfs the whole concourse.
No ads.. Just a freakishly giangantic board that runs the connies pizza race that would start in the 1st inning and end at the 7th inning stretch..

VeeckAsInWreck
03-28-2008, 04:51 PM
It's not the size of your scoreboard, it's how many runs your team can put on it that matters!

DSpivack
03-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Nats also obviously have a new scoreboard, which they, too advertise as the biggest in MLB.

soxfan21
03-28-2008, 05:12 PM
KC's looks pretty sweet. I also heard that it is going to be the largest High Def scoreboard in the nation. Hopefully we will upgrade ours to high def pretty soon, those images look awesome.

Elephant
03-28-2008, 05:21 PM

They'd have to give up advertising to do that. Forget about it.

MisterB
03-28-2008, 05:52 PM
KC's looks pretty sweet. I also heard that it is going to be the largest High Def scoreboard in the nation. Hopefully we will upgrade ours to high def pretty soon, those images look awesome.

The Sox' current video board IS high-def. Actually, it was one of the first HD boards ever put into a sports stadium. Technology has just advanced quickly in the 5 years since it was installed.

chisox77
03-28-2008, 06:10 PM
I have been clicking into the Royals' website to keep track of the renovations at Kaufmann Stadium. That scoreboard (the crown) was awesome to begin with. Now it will be the best, I think.

For that matter, the whole park (already pretty good) will be even more beautiful. The "K" (as the locals call it) has always been one of the great modern ballparks ever built. Their latest upgrades will make it even better. This is one place where symmetry works great.

:cool:

whtsx1959
03-28-2008, 06:36 PM
I don't mind large ads, but taking up most of the board is not the right way to do it.
And how many seats couldn't see the monster board at the old park. With it tucked in there I bet much of the outfield didn't have a good view. That's the one thing I liked about "New Comiskey Park" You could see the the scoreboard from every seat.

Back in the day, large ads were quite normal
Chesterfield, It's a HIT