PDA

View Full Version : What I would DO to read a story in the Chicago press

BackInBlack
04-26-2002, 01:48 PM
Dr. Crawdad got me thinking.

What I would DO to read a story in the Chicago press chronicaling the evolution of Wrigley Field and Comiskey Park. Sadly, it seems the entire national media has been brainwashed into thinking Wrigley Field started every baseball tradition.

What I would DO to read how the construction of Wrigley Field was inspired by Comiskey Park.

What I would DO to read how the Chicago White Sox were the first team in baseball to put their last names on their jerseys.

What I would DO to read how Harry Caray started the 7th inning stretch tradition in COMISKEY not Wrigley.

I'd also like to see when Forbes Field planted their ivy.

Anything else to add to the list?

I guess I wouldn't mind hearing somebody's excuse for naming a Chicago baseball team "The Orphans."

I know the Sox outdrew the Cubs in the 60's and 70's, I know the Cubs outdrew the Sox in the 80's and 90's, but I'd LOVE to see the ALL-TIME attendance records compared to one-another.

So who's got some BALLS? Who's willing to step up to the plate and stop this propoganda and give the WHITE SOX their just due!!! C'mon Chi-town, let's hear the TRUTH this CITY is too good to fall victim to Pomp & Politics. Phil Rogers has been great, but I know there's more of you out there!!!

The Sox have such a rich and distinctive history the people need to know!

BackInBlack
04-26-2002, 02:16 PM
Speaking of the Chicago media, would anyone care to assemble a Top 3 list of sports reporters who give the White Sox their proper due?

I've always liked Phil Rogers, he's very fair with the Sox.

doctor30th
04-26-2002, 05:05 PM
Actually to be fair Harry Caray started the 7th inning stretch tradition for the Cardinals not the sox.

DVG
04-27-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Actually to be fair Harry Caray started the 7th inning stretch tradition for the Cardinals not the sox.

I recall seeing Harry Caray a couple of times describe how the
7th inning stretch tradition started. He said it was in 1976. He
would sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and the fans directly
below him would sing along. One day Bill Veeck switched mikes
on Caray and gave him a PA mike that boomed his voice
through the whole park. This was, of course, in Comiskey. He
never once mentioned having done it in St. Louis.

It is also interesting to note that when he first tried in Wrigley
in 1982, Cub fans just muttered and barely sang with him. They
didn't want a low-down, stinking south side circus thing like that
invading their staid ballpark. It was only when they had the good
year in 1984 that Harry and the 7th inning stretch tradition be-
came "what baseball is all about."