PDA

View Full Version : Strange HS or College fields youve played on

Law11
03-28-2008, 11:29 AM
The LA/Boston Dimension thread got me thinking what are some oddities you have played on when it come to a baseball field HS or college.

Back yard sandlots dont count. They were usually all goofy.
I earlier posted playing at Argo and their 200 ft left field fence that everyone kept popping out trying to hit it out.

Marist as a soph back in 85 we played on a field where right field had a friggin oak tree in fair territory down the line.

Providence we were so bad that while our pitchers were walking guys we were trying to peg gophers in the outfield/forest with loose rocks.

St. Laurence they asked us to help drag the infield during a DH
AN infield that was a mixture of rocks and grass growing up through the infield.. It was like mowing the lawn..

St. Rita - Marquette Park the grass was so long we lost a ball in the infield after a bad throw. The ump literally stood there like how do I call this?

What else to you guys have...

HomeFish
03-28-2008, 11:34 AM
There's a private school in Wilmette on Green Bay Road; I forget what its called, but their foul territory in right field is, well...Green Bay Road. Foul balls would get hit right onto the street from above. I'm amazed that nobody has been killed when a baseball smashed through their windshield causing an accident...or at least causing a lawsuit.

Law11
03-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Ive wondered that in general. We saw a kid from Weber paste one into a car window and wondered what ever became of it.

Hell my own HS Quigley South (now St. Rita) had its faults. The foul territory down the RF soph fields were about 10 feet from the tennis courts. I dove for a foul ball once and literally slid under the pulled up fencing and would up half on the court. How I didnt get torn up from the prongs in the fence still astounds me.

Viva Medias B's
03-28-2008, 11:53 AM
I never played high school or college ball, but I should point out Rocky Miller Park at Northwestern. On the third base side, there is a wetland between the stands and the NU bullpen.

daveeym
03-28-2008, 12:31 PM
I never played high school or college ball, but I should point out Rocky Miller Park at Northwestern. On the third base side, there is a wetland between the stands and the NU bullpen.
Is this a joke or serious? There wasn't any "wetland" when I played there.

FedEx227
03-28-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm pretty partial to Proviso East's plateau shaped pitching mound.

Domeshot17
03-28-2008, 12:40 PM
I played for Dominican for 2 years before blowing my knees out completely. It was a great park to be a left handed hitter as it had to be 270 down the right field line, 320 to left, then over 400 to center and the power alleys. The park was shaped around the train tracks and First Ave. They have since moved to the field the Schaumburg Flyers play on.

nug0hs
03-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Walked across Hyames Field while at school at Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo. This field hosted the first College World Series in 1947 when George Bush Sr. was Yale's 1B.

LoveYourSuit
03-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Public league guy here:

1. Lane Tech - A powerhouse school playing home games and Horner park, crappy diamond and no fences. That sucks.

2. Clemente - Infield is artificial surface.

The public league has serious issues with the lack of quality baseball fields.

Played at Farragut one time and was almost victim of two drive by shooting in one trip.

soxfan13
03-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Cicero fields and the all gravel infields.:redneck

Giv20
03-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Late 70's played on a summer team that played a team of cons at Indiana
State Prison in Michigan City. The left field wall was like the Green
Monster. The "fans" were really into it, with many heckling from their
own private "skyboxes".

Blueprint1
03-28-2008, 03:27 PM
I played tennis in high school. The worst setup for tennis/baseball was at Waubonsie Valley. Waubonsie Valley Highschool built the tennis courts right next to left field foul territory. This was a very bad setup because baseballs would come flying on the tennis courts during the matches. One kid got hit right in the head by a foul ball during his tennis match.

MeteorsSox4367
03-28-2008, 03:30 PM
I work at a high school a few blocks east of the Cell and the way our athletic complex is constructed, the football field and baseball diamond are essentially the same piece of land.

As a result, we have some funky dimensions with the right field fence being about 260 feet from the plate. Just once before I leave this job, I'd love to take batting practice on our field because I'm a dead pull lefty hitter and would love to see if I could hit a home run to right field and off the IIT dorms behind the fence.

I also thought the setups at Marist and Guerin were pretty cool because they were like the old multi-purpose facilities that were used for both baseball and football.

Max Power
03-28-2008, 04:02 PM
There's a private school in Wilmette on Green Bay Road; I forget what its called, but their foul territory in right field is, well...Green Bay Road. Foul balls would get hit right onto the street from above. I'm amazed that nobody has been killed when a baseball smashed through their windshield causing an accident...or at least causing a lawsuit.

North Shore Country Day School? I know their athletic fields are right next to Green Bay Road. Fortunately I don't think I've driven by there while they've been in use.

Elephant
03-28-2008, 04:09 PM
My HS field was 353 to left. That's longer than 99% of all major league parks. Only Wrigley is longer, and by two feet.

In Little League I played in some weird Oak Lawn fields at 99th and Central where the left field corner sloped down about 5 feet and home runs routinely went onto Central.

Law11
03-28-2008, 04:27 PM
My HS field was 353 to left. That's longer than 99% of all major league parks. Only Wrigley is longer, and by two feet.

In Little League I played in some weird Oak Lawn fields at 99th and Central where the left field corner sloped down about 5 feet and home runs routinely went onto Central.

One of our fields was our Right Field.. about 900 feet or Gee Lumber on 79th. Needless to say the only homeruns were balls that got in the gap and just kept rolling...

I know those Little league fields on Central they look pretty sharp..

Law11
03-28-2008, 04:29 PM
I work at a high school a few blocks east of the Cell and the way our athletic complex is constructed, the football field and baseball diamond are essentially the same piece of land.

As a result, we have some funky dimensions with the right field fence being about 260 feet from the plate. Just once before I leave this job, I'd love to take batting practice on our field because I'm a dead pull lefty hitter and would love to see if I could hit a home run to right field and off the IIT dorms behind the fence.

I also thought the setups at Marist and Guerin were pretty cool because they were like the old multi-purpose facilities that were used for both baseball and football.

Has D always had on site facilities? We played them in the late 80's at UIC's field once.

Brian26
03-28-2008, 05:21 PM

DeLasalle, right? I've looked out upon that field countless times waiting for the Green Line after Sox games. I always thought the geometry of the fields was cool, the way the football field sneaks behind the thirdbase line and extends past the corner of the building.

SoxyStu
03-28-2008, 06:19 PM
I played on a field before...it didn't even have an outfield fence! That was a long time ago, though.

CHISOXFAN13
03-28-2008, 06:40 PM
UIC did some renovations to its field, and the only place where there is dirt is on the mound. You slide on the field turf at all other bases. Thought it was kind of strange.

Railsplitter
03-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Not a weird dimention,but Larkin High School in Elgin has the right field fence about thirty feet way from the street, but about six feet lower than sidewalk level. There's also a fence along the edge of the sidewalk

WhiteSox5187
03-28-2008, 07:41 PM
I played on a field before...it didn't even have an outfield fence! That was a long time ago, though.
That's the way I played up until last year when I played on my college team (it's technically a varsity team, but we only play club teams) at Roosevelt. I played high school ball in freshman and sophmore year (no cuts!) and while we played a couple of games at school's fields, we would play at least half of our games at public parks without fences...our homefield last year were played at Bedford Park where the fence stopped half way through CF...we played another game at a Public park and I was in LF and running after a flyball when I ran into the middle of a soccer practice.

Bump34
03-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Back in my day... the RF fence at Oak Lawn HS was only about 250... and if you hit it over I think it was only a triple...

monkeypants
03-29-2008, 02:50 AM
I played a few games at Hinsdale Central and part of their left field fence and into foul territory is a brick building.

MeteorsSox4367
03-29-2008, 12:14 PM
DeLasalle, right? I've looked out upon that field countless times waiting for the Green Line after Sox games. I always thought the geometry of the fields was cool, the way the football field sneaks behind the thirdbase line and extends past the corner of the building.

Law: Since I've been there (2001), we've played most of our home baseball games there. The exceptions I can think of were playing a regional that we hosted at IIT (31st & Michigan) a few years ago, and playing the annual game against Rita at the Cell. I even got to go on the field and in the bullpens to take pictures for the school at the Cell. I genuflected when I stepped on the field. Way cool.

Brian: I kinda like our setup with the football/baseball field partially hidden behind the school. One of the benefits is that for home football games when we have large crowds (like in the 2007 state playoffs), some of the noise is kept in by the school and the gym. When we played McHenry at home this year, it was raining, it was loud and some of the McHenry people didn't look too thrilled to be on the South Side that night.

It ain't much, but it's home. Meteors Win!

Law11
03-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Law: Since I've been there (2001), we've played most of our home baseball games there. The exceptions I can think of were playing a regional that we hosted at IIT (31st & Michigan) a few years ago, and playing the annual game against Rita at the Cell. I even got to go on the field and in the bullpens to take pictures for the school at the Cell. I genuflected when I stepped on the field. Way cool.

Brian: I kinda like our setup with the football/baseball field partially hidden behind the school. One of the benefits is that for home football games when we have large crowds (like in the 2007 state playoffs), some of the noise is kept in by the school and the gym. When we played McHenry at home this year, it was raining, it was loud and some of the McHenry people didn't look too thrilled to be on the South Side that night.

It ain't much, but it's home. Meteors Win!

I was at the last game at the old gym some years back.
That was a great atmosphere for hoops.

The (then) new facilities were being shown to the public and boosters after.
When I saw a media room for a HS I knew they went big time..

LoveYourSuit
03-29-2008, 04:05 PM
There is a concern our there that not enough baseball is played at the youth level in the urban areas........ well the biggest reason for that is the lack of funding for good paying fields. Out in the burbs I run into nice baseball fields almost in every town - fences, dugouts, infield grass, manicured mounds, scoreboards, bleachers, etc.

The Chicago Public League sucks when it comes to playing fields.