PDA

View Full Version : Pictures at old Comiskey park

bobelou72
03-27-2008, 10:37 PM
I was trying to remember what pictures were on the wall behind home plate by the front gate. I know one was of Ed Herman getting plowed into but I'm not sure about some of the other ones. I think there were 8

palehosepub
03-28-2008, 12:13 PM
I remember the Ed Hermann one. I have the Dick Allen one in my basement, Dick is swinging from his heels. Swingtown batting cages (owned by former ballplayer Ron Cooomer) in Orland Park had one hanging up, it was a pitcher but I am not sure I remember for sure who it is but I think it is Bahnsen. Most of these big photo signs were sold in the Old Comiskey auction of 1991 and can be found in the catalog.

jackbrohamer
03-28-2008, 12:14 PM
There was a photo of Jim Kaat surrounded by all of his gold gloves

Law11
03-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Thats the biggest issue I have with the current park.
You walk in and its all concrete.. There's NO character as you walk the ramps.
The Grinder imagery was ok but overall its missing that 'something'

Someone told me recently that the old place smelled like a ballpark.
I didnt know how to take that as that could be a bad thing as much as a good thing.

80 years of stogies and open airways to the restrooms can be a detriment to some.. Although the food carts in every spare corner of the underbelly made that place feel like a ballpark should.

That being said USCF definitely smells like park should in Chicago anyway.
Onions, Dogs, Sausage, beef... My mouth waters as I have my ticket scanned.

LITTLE NELL
03-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Thats the biggest issue I have with the current park.
You walk in and its all concrete.. There's NO character as you walk the ramps.
The Grinder imagery was ok but overall its missing that 'something'

Someone told me recently that the old place smelled like a ballpark.
I didnt know how to take that as that could be a bad thing as much as a good thing.

80 years of stogies and open airways to the restrooms can be a detriment to some.. Although the food carts in every spare corner of the underbelly made that place feel like a ballpark should.

That being said USCF definitely smells like park should in Chicago anyway.
Onions, Dogs, Sausage, beef... My mouth waters as I have my ticket scanned.
Go to the upper concourse at USCF and you will find some great murals on the history of the Sox by decade.

Vernam
03-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Someone told me recently that the old place smelled like a ballpark. I didnt know how to take that as that could be a bad thing as much as a good thing.

80 years of stogies and open airways to the restrooms can be a detriment to some.. Although the food carts in every spare corner of the underbelly made that place feel like a ballpark should.A major but almost subliminal reason I've come to enjoy cigars is because that smell reminds me of old Comiskey. Can't say I liked it as a kid, but a stogie hits the spot sometimes now.

Some of the other smells, though, I don't remember as fondly!

Vernam

sullythered
03-28-2008, 10:41 PM
A major but almost subliminal reason I've come to enjoy cigars is because that smell reminds me of old Comiskey. Can't say I liked it as a kid, but a stogie hits the spot sometimes now.

Some of the other smells, though, I don't remember as fondly!

Vernam

I remember the smell of a certain kind of smoke up in the right field deck, but it sure wasn't cigar smoke.:cool:

LITTLE NELL
03-29-2008, 07:49 AM
The smell I remember the most is when the Stockyards were still open and it was a hot July night and there was a light SW breeze.

Railsplitter
03-29-2008, 08:10 AM
The smell I remember the most is when the Stockyards were still open and it was a hot July night and there was a light SW breeze.

I remeber the fragrence of the Stockyards on the way to my first Sox game.