PDA

View Full Version : Canseco Takes Off in Charlotte

duke of dorwood
04-26-2002, 10:05 AM
FORT MILL - minor-league baseball Stolen base propels Knights past Clippers Jose Canseco became the hero Thursday night, in just his second game in a Charlotte Knights uniform.

It wasn't the bulging biceps that have produced 462 major league home runs that sparked the Knights' 2-1 victory over the Columbus Clippers.

It wasn't the once-quick feet of the 6-foot-4, 240-pound Canseco either.

Chalk this one up to veteran instinct.

Canseco reached base on an error in the sixth inning, then stunned the Clippers -- and his teammates -- by stealing second base, eventually scoring the winning run.

"I may have caught them off-guard a little," laughed Canseco, 37, who went to third when Columbus catcher Chris Widger threw wildly on the steal.

Jeff Inglin's sacrifice fly scored Canseco, making a winner of reliever Corey Lee, who retired nine of the 10 batters he faced.

voodoochile
04-26-2002, 11:59 AM
Didn't Fisk used to do the delayed steal? It isn't all about speed, though I would bet Canseco still has pretty decent if unspectaular wheels. Stealing bases is mostly mental...

Go Jose - make the rest of MLB sorry they didn't sign you...

:bashbro
"I'm not just a powerhitter, I can still run..."

FarWestChicago
04-26-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
:bashbro
"I'm not just a powerhitter, I can still run..." :walnuts

Me, too!!

foulkesfan11
04-26-2002, 12:11 PM
How long til Jose's brought up? I think if he was brought up now, it would ruin the chemistry that we have at the moment. He should be brought up when or if, we start losing.

Iwritecode
04-26-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
How long til Jose's brought up? I think if he was brought up now, it would ruin the chemistry that we have at the moment. He should be brought up when or if, we start losing.

In that case, I hope Jose can find a nice apartment and get nice and settled in until September when the rosters expand...

:)

voodoochile
04-26-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11

I think it is more insurance and tradability that makes Jose attractive to the Sox. I don't think he plays on the Sox MLB roster unless that happens - until September when the call ups happen that is. I think if he proves he can still play, some team will offer a scrub or two for him...

Paulwny
04-26-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I think it is more insurance and tradability that makes Jose attractive to the Sox. I don't think he plays on the Sox MLB roster unless that happens - until September when the call ups happen that is. I think if he proves he can still play, some team will offer a scrub or two for him...

Agree, King George usually tries to power up for the stretch run.

Dadawg_77
04-26-2002, 01:17 PM
Honestly, I don't see the Sox trading Jose, if another team wants him for their Major League roster, I think Kenny would release Jose to allow him to sign with that team, as long as it isn't a fellow central team. Not sure what a team would offer for him anyway, a career A leaguer?