PDA

View Full Version : Barry who??? Giants remove all traces of Bonds

Fenway
03-27-2008, 06:00 PM
They have purged him completly from AT&T Park

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/27/SPCBVQS6I.DTL (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/27/SPCBVQS6I.DTL)

Giants are hurting at the gate as well

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/26/MNCBVQS66.DTL

DumpJerry
03-27-2008, 06:04 PM
It's as if George Orwell took over management of the team.....

Vernam
03-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Great stuff -- I loved the line about how even the grass he killed in LF has grown back. :roflmao:

What hypocrisy by the Giants, though. Not that it's surprising.

Vernam

Railsplitter
03-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Will they retouch past team photos to remove his picture?

TDog
03-27-2008, 07:00 PM
I went to see the Giants play the Reds at the end of the 2007 season when all the Bonds stuff was up. Bonds didn't start. He didn't even pinch hit. When Ray Durham came up to pinch hit late in the game (or maybe he was just on the on-deck circle ready to pinch hit), a lone voice was shouting "we want Barry." Someone else shouted out, "Barry doesn't want you."

Fenway
03-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Great stuff -- I loved the line about how even the grass he killed in LF has grown back. :roflmao:

Vernam

The Giants owner has not forgiven him for stiffing the Home Run Derby last year

getonbckthr
03-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Would the Giants still be in San Francisco if it wasn't for Barry Bonds?

TDog
03-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Would the Giants still be in San Francisco if it wasn't for Barry Bonds?

Yes.

RKMeibalane
03-27-2008, 07:38 PM

Vernam

Agreed. As much as I hate Bonds, it's interesting how the Giants made so many excuses for him in the past, and now that he's not helping to attract fans to their park, they decide that they want nothing to do with him.

getonbckthr
03-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Yes.
People always make it out to be that if they didn't sign Bonds they very well could be the Tampa Bay Giants right now.

getonbckthr
03-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Agreed. As much as I hate Bonds, it's interesting how the Giants made so many excuses for him in the past, and now that he's not helping to attract fans to their park, they decide that they want nothing to do with him.
Apparently they aren't attracting fans either.:smile: Couldn't happen to better people.

Frontman
03-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Honestly, I'm torn on this. Bonds was a part of the Giants history. He made history in their uniform. Scandals are a part of sports; always have been, always will be.

We don't shy away from the "Black Sox" scandal in this town. (Quite the opposite, considering how many of us want Shoeless Joe Jackson to finally be acknowledged by the Hall of Fame.)

I can see removing all the temporary "scoreboard" stuff, but not even mention of him?

Like many said, they made money off of overlooking Bonds and his bad behavior. They shouldn't now try and act as if he didn't do all of what he did while wearing their uniform. "You made your bed, now lie in it...."

Just my take on it.

RKMeibalane
03-27-2008, 08:37 PM
People always make it out to be that if they didn't sign Bonds they very well could be the Tampa Bay Giants right now.

The Giants possible relocation to Tampa Bay had to do with ownership changes. Peter McGowan's group bought the team, enabling them to remain in the Bay Area. Bonds wasn't signed until after the situation was resolved.

Elephant
03-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Will they retouch past team photos to remove his picture?

His face will be replaced with the Reverend Sun-Yung Moon.

His face is like a big apple pie.

soxwon
03-27-2008, 09:55 PM
And attendance is down for SF!!!
See what happens, remove the player remove the fans.

Frontman
03-27-2008, 10:05 PM
And attendance is down for SF!!!
See what happens, remove the player remove the fans.

Don't they mean tickets sales are down?

Noone has attended a Giants regular season game yet.

And for whatever reason, (maybe freakin' snow on the ground) it makes it seem that the season shouldn't be starting yet.

I still think they'll have a good number for attendance. Will it be capacity like last season? Probably not, but baseball is popular now.

palehozenychicty
03-28-2008, 08:56 AM

Welcome to our sports world today, and it's a microcosm of MLB's steroid era as a whole.

Irishsox1
03-28-2008, 04:08 PM
This is not surprising, because the Giants stood behind Bonds for so long that eventually they had to pull out and when they did, they did it the right way. The Giants will live on, they just need to shake themselves of Bonds. Win a World Series and everyone will get over Bonds.

It reminds me of a saying, "I'm with ya till the end my friend....and this is the end!, Goodbye."

WizardsofOzzie
03-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Honestly, I'm torn on this. Bonds was a part of the Giants history. He made history in their uniform. Scandals are a part of sports; always have been, always will be.

We don't shy away from the "Black Sox" scandal in this town. (Quite the opposite, considering how many of us want Shoeless Joe Jackson to finally be acknowledged by the Hall of Fame.)

I can see removing all the temporary "scoreboard" stuff, but not even mention of him?

Like many said, they made money off of overlooking Bonds and his bad behavior. They shouldn't now try and act as if he didn't do all of what he did while wearing their uniform. "You made your bed, now lie in it...."

Just my take on it.
I see where you're coming from but it's kinda apples and oranges considering the Black Sox didn't cheat to win/break records. They threw the series, which is not small potatoes by any means but they didn't cheat to win. I don't know why, but cheating to win seems worse in my eyes than throwing the game, although both are bad acts in their own right. The Black Sox broke the heart of Sox fans everywhere but I'm not sure if they pissed off 99% of the baseball nation as Bonds did.

Frontman
03-28-2008, 07:14 PM
I see where you're coming from but it's kinda apples and oranges considering the Black Sox didn't cheat to win/break records. They threw the series, which is not small potatoes by any means but they didn't cheat to win. I don't know why, but cheating to win seems worse in my eyes than throwing the game, although both are bad acts in their own right. The Black Sox broke the heart of Sox fans everywhere but I'm not sure if they pissed off 99% of the baseball nation as Bonds did.

I just find it a bit hypocritical on the part of the Giants is all. And like it or not, Bonds is a part of baseball history. He's going to be a part of it until someone breaks the single season and the career home run record.

HomeFish
03-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Barry Bonds is still seeking a contract to play baseball and might be on another MLB team this year. It makes perfect sense to remove him from the park. This is no different than the White Sox no longer playing "please recycle" PSA's with Frank Thomas in them after 2005.

Doesn't mean that Frank Thomas won't be up on our wall of retired numbers when he retires, nor does it mean that Bonds won't be commemorated in SF when he retires.

Frontman
03-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Barry Bonds is still seeking a contract to play baseball and might be on another MLB team this year. It makes perfect sense to remove him from the park. This is no different than the White Sox no longer playing "please recycle" PSA's with Frank Thomas in them after 2005.

Doesn't mean that Frank Thomas won't be up on our wall of retired numbers when he retires, nor does it mean that Bonds won't be commemorated in SF when he retires.

I agree with that, but even with key members of the 2005 squad gone, we still featured them in the montage on the scoreboard. Frank is still featured there (and probably will be for the rest of Sox history.) What Bonds did in a Giants uniform is historically more important than what Frank meant to the Sox fanbase.

Look, I think Bonds is scum and if noone remembered the guy a generation from now; I'd be happy. I just find myself torn a bit on this one. The Giants organization made a ton of money off of him, then they act like he never was a Giant?

RKMeibalane
03-29-2008, 12:20 PM

You're talking about completely different situations. Frank Thomas no longer plays for the Sox, but you can still find Frank Thomas memorabilia and photographs. Both the Sox and Thomas have moved on, but everyone acknowledges Thomas' place in Sox history. The Giants have almost completely erased every trace of Bonds' existence from their park, pretending that his years with their franchise never happened.

In some ways, complete irrelevance is exactly the fate that Bonds and the other cheaters. However, for the Giants to do this after all the money they made off of him isn't right, especially since anyone with an ounce of common sense can see the hypocrisy here.