PDA

View Full Version : Matt Murton's Trade Value

Lukin13
03-27-2008, 05:55 PM
I was in the car a bunch over the past three days and the nonstop Matt Murton trade talk on The Score has me pretty puzzled.

How the heck are the Cubs (or Cub Fans) expecting to get a servicable left handed reliever or (*gasp a starter), in exchange for Murton when players like Corey Patterson, Reed Johnson and Matt Cameron were free for the hauling at below market value contracts; and fairly big names like Coco Crisp, Matthews Jr. and Juan Pierre available for seemingly very little (and in Pierre and Jr's cases just their contracts). I know I am missing a bunch of other available guys. For pete's sake, Reggie Willits is the Angles 5th outfielder!

I know Murton is young but almost every team in baseball has a log jam in the outfield, how is this kid worth a servicable lefty or a 4th starter??? No Chance.

fquaye149
03-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Cubs fans and columnists tend to overrate their prospects....simple as that

SoxSpeed22
03-27-2008, 06:10 PM
If they do trade him, they will get a AAA or AA lefty at best.

Brian26
03-27-2008, 06:33 PM

I'm still blown away that they thought three bags of crap like Murton, Cedeno and Sean Gallagher could land Bedard and/or Roberts. The Flubseesed media in this town needs a reality check.

veeter
03-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Sun-Times writer Gordon Wittemeyer(sp?) actually said today that Matt Murton could win a batting title in the American League. Let me get this straight, he can't make the cubs roster, but he'll out hit A-Rod, Maggs, Ichiro...etc. Where do the cubs find these guys to shill for them. Hendry also said they didn't really want Roberts all along. This is why the baseball Gods wont allow them to succeed.

getonbckthr
03-27-2008, 08:13 PM
I'll do a Sisco for Murton deal then stick him in the minors.

Tragg
03-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Sun-Times writer Gordon Wittemeyer(sp?) actually said today that Matt Murton could win a batting title in the American League. Let me get this straight, he can't make the cubs roster, but he'll out hit A-Rod, Maggs, Ichiro...etc. Where do the cubs find these guys to shill for them. Hendry also said they didn't really want Roberts all along. This is why the baseball Gods wont allow them to succeed.
I just asked about this in another thread. A guy Toronto cuts can make the cuts, but Murton can't yet Murton can win a batting title?

EndemicSox
03-28-2008, 01:53 AM
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/M/matt-murton.shtml

I think he is a pretty solid prospect, they could get a decent return for him...

russ99
03-28-2008, 07:49 AM
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/M/matt-murton.shtml

I think he is a pretty solid prospect, they could get a decent return for him...

He's 27 and has stagnated at the Major league level due to a lack of playing time. He's a decent former prospect, and the Cubs would likely get a fellow talented project/former prospect in return. I think he's worth more than Sisco or Masset, but not that much more.

What I don't understand is why the Cubs would rather have Reed Johnson, other than that he can play all 3 OF positions - since Murton's a much better hitter.

Ever since Hendry got Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton from Pittsburgh for a box of used jockstraps, Cub fans have vastly overestimated what they think they can get in return for their players.

soxfan13
03-28-2008, 09:52 AM

As do Sox fans:redneck

eriqjaffe
03-28-2008, 10:44 AM
He's 27 and has stagnated at the Major league level due to a lack of playing time.:anderson:
"No comment."

pierzynski07
03-28-2008, 11:01 AM
He's 27 and has stagnated at the Major league level due to a lack of playing time. He's a decent former prospect, and the Cubs would likely get a fellow talented project/former prospect in return. I think he's worth more than Sisco or Masset, but not that much more.

What I don't understand is why the Cubs would rather have Reed Johnson, other than that he can play all 3 OF positions - since Murton's a much better hitter.

Ever since Hendry got Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton from Pittsburgh for a box of used jockstraps, Cub fans have vastly overestimated what they think they can get in return for their players.
From what I've read, defense is the exact reason they got Johnson. Murton's a butcher in the corners, let a lone Center. And they've already got one player like that in Darrel Ward.

WizardsofOzzie
03-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Come on! Corey Patterson and Felix Pie are 5 tool, can't miss prospects :rolleyes:

champagne030
03-28-2008, 11:45 AM

Don't forget getting Derrek Lee for Who Flung Pooey.

Chez
03-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Matt Murton = Jeff Abbott except Murton's defense is worse.

PatK
03-28-2008, 12:08 PM
I've seen 8 year old girls that throw harder than Murton.

If he had any kind of arm, he would have gunned AJ out. Instead, it's a close play and AJ plows Michelle Barrett over.

getonbckthr
03-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Murton will be Scott Hatteberg with a better average.