PDA

View Full Version : Do or die today: Masset vs Wassermann

LoveYourSuit
03-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Wassermann might not even need to pitch before this one is settled .... 3-0 Dbacks.

I tried starting a gamethread but I noticed on hasn't been started in a few weeks and I don't have access either.

QCIASOXFAN
03-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Masset is getting hit pretty hard. Juan with a nice throw.

oeo
03-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Wassermann might not even need to pitch before this one is settled .... 3-0 Dbacks.

I tried starting a gamethread but I noticed on hasn't been started in a few weeks and I don't have access either.

Wassermann already pitched today in a minor league game. He's getting his wisdom teeth pulled right about now.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/03/roster-update.html

I want Mags back
03-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Masset not lookin good. Uribe showing great range, just gotta finish

EndemicSox
03-27-2008, 03:31 PM
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/W/Ehren-Wassermann.shtml
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/M/Nick-Masset.shtml

I've only glanced at the stats, but it appears to be a no brainer, as long as Kenny Williams doesn't let his ego get in the way...see ya Nick...

santo=dorf
03-27-2008, 03:32 PM
I hope Massett is the last time the Sox decide to evaluate a player based on his performance in the Mexican League.

This guy has been a total flop.

Chicken Dinner
03-27-2008, 03:35 PM
I hope Massett is the last time the Sox decide to evaluate a player based on his performance in the Mexican League.

His only glory was the win at Wrigley last year preventing a Cubs sweep. Other than that, your right.

thomas35forever
03-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Hopefully, Masset's days on the Sox are coming to a close.

LoveYourSuit
03-27-2008, 03:39 PM

Agree, Agree, Agree

That entire "recruiting class" Kenny put together last offseason with all these "power arms" was a complete bust so far. Gavin, Danks, Aardsman, Sisco, Masset.

Yuck so far.

I still think Gavin is bad and the last hope is Danks (who has been bad so far also).

Gammons Peter
03-27-2008, 03:47 PM
he gone. buh-bye, no more options. Danks better pan out

santo=dorf
03-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Agree, Agree, Agree

That entire "recruiting class" Kenny put together last offseason with all these "power arms" was a complete bust so far. Gavin, Danks, Aardsman, Sisco, Masset.
....and after a nice 2006 performance, MacDougal and Thornton put up some craptacular 2007 seasons.

These performances encouraged our management to spend $30 million on a couple of veteran power arms.

2005 baby.

LoveYourSuit
03-27-2008, 03:59 PM
....and after a nice 2006 performance, MacDougal and Thornton put up some craptacular 2007 seasons.

These performances encouraged our management to spend $30 million on a couple of veteran power arms.

2005 baby.

Is Masset our new Danny Wright? Good arm but no brain and awful mound body language?

kevingrt
03-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Not to be cruel but don't you mean do or die day?

Tragg
03-27-2008, 04:09 PM
What about Wasserman. Is he a long reliever? Is he just situational?
Does Logan figure to advance beyond the situational lefty role?

oeo
03-27-2008, 04:12 PM
What about Wasserman. Is he a long reliever? Is he just situational?
Does Logan figure to advance beyond the situational lefty role?

You're going to take Masset just because he can pitch a few innings, but not get anyone out? :scratch:

I'll take the guy that's going to get outs, thank you very much.

LoveYourSuit
03-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Not to be cruel but don't you mean do or die day?

does it matter?

oeo
03-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Agree, Agree, Agree

Yuck so far.

I still think Gavin is bad and the last hope is Danks (who has been bad so far also).

When have Floyd and Danks ever been considered 'power arms?'

And Danks, unlike the rest of them, is still extremely young. He shouldn't be in the same category.

Tragg
03-27-2008, 04:13 PM
You're going to take Masset just because he can pitch a few innings, but not get anyone out? :scratch:

I'll take the guy that's going to get outs, thank you very much.I didn't say anything about Masset. I was asking about Wasserman. I get to see them play only as much as WGN allows.

LoveYourSuit
03-27-2008, 04:16 PM
When have Floyd and Danks ever been considered 'power arms?'

And Danks, unlike the rest of them, is still extremely young. He shouldn't be in the same category.

they were bunched in that group of "young live arms" when we go them.

Masset just gives up another one....damn he's bad.

Maybe Fernando Valenzuela will find him a roster spot somewhere in the Mexican League.

Why not Ohka at this point?

oeo
03-27-2008, 04:16 PM
I didn't say anything about Masset. I was asking about Wasserman. I get to see them play only as much as WGN allows.

I thought by your post, you were contemplating who you would take.

I'd say he's still a situational guy at this point, but he gets you outs.

BTW, Masset just gave up a 2-run blast.

WhiteSox5187
03-27-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm fairly sure that Massett will be able to clear waivers. So I'm going with Wasserman.

Tragg
03-27-2008, 04:21 PM
I thought by your post, you were contemplating who you would take.

I'd say he's still a situational guy at this point, but he gets you outs.

BTW, Masset just gave up a 2-run blast.

I didn't realize that was the choice. It's hard to follow pitchers and get ideas on them via looking at boxscores (works better with hitters).
I will say, having more than 1 situational reliever really isn't ideal.

AzureJazzMan
03-27-2008, 04:22 PM
So....When does the Nick Masset Appreciation thread begin?

Chicken Dinner
03-27-2008, 04:23 PM
So....When does the Nick Masset Appreciation thread begin?

Don't you mean depreciation!

LoveYourSuit
03-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Don't you mean depreciation!

LOL

Sound like a piece of real estate in today's market.

Lip Man 1
03-27-2008, 05:30 PM
How about Carrasco? Under the same conditions in Arizona where Sox pitchers oh like Masset and Logan have been getting shelled, he's actually gotten folks out.

I remember Chuck Tanner telling me in his WSI interview that his goal was to take the best 25 players North....it didn't matter how much experience they had, or if the entire team was made up of veterans, or if there were two left handers in the bullpen or how much it would cost the team if they were released.

That should be the goal but I must confess, this spring some of the moves the Sox have made have left me very puzzled.

Lip

sox1970
03-27-2008, 05:44 PM
^

Money

chisoxmike
03-27-2008, 05:48 PM
That should be the goal but I must confess, this spring some of the moves the Sox have made have left me very puzzled.

Lip

For the past few years some Sox moves have been very puzzling. They seem to sacrifice defense for offense. Something, I think, you should never do.

Taliesinrk
03-27-2008, 06:34 PM
For the past few years some Sox moves have been very puzzling. They seem to sacrifice defense for offense. Something, I think, you should never do.

Great point and post.

JB98
03-27-2008, 06:50 PM
How about Carrasco? Under the same conditions in Arizona where Sox pitchers oh like Masset and Logan have been getting shelled, he's actually gotten folks out.

I remember Chuck Tanner telling me in his WSI interview that his goal was to take the best 25 players North....it didn't matter how much experience they had, or if the entire team was made up of veterans, or if there were two left handers in the bullpen or how much it would cost the team if they were released.

Lip

I don't know that I'd take Carrasco ahead of Wasserman, but I'd definitely take him ahead of Masset.

I've seen all I need to see from Masset. I hope the Sox organization feels the same.

Brian26
03-27-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm fairly sure that Massett will be able to clear waivers. So I'm going with Wasserman.

Who is Massett?

Who is Wasserman?

DickAllen72
03-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Hopefully, Masset's days on the Sox are coming to a close.
Hopefully he sneaks through waivers and remains in the Sox minor league system. He may not be good right now, but he's still young and may turn out to be a mjor leaguer some day.

MDF3530
03-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Hopefully he sneaks through waivers and remains in the Sox minor league system. He may not be good right now, but he's still young and may turn out to be a mjor leaguer some day.I think some dumbass GM will claim him thinking that their pitching coach can turn him around despite all the evidence says he sucks.

LoveYourSuit
03-27-2008, 07:20 PM
I think some dumbass GM will claim him thinking that their pitching coach can turn him around despite all the evidence says he sucks.

Sound familiar? :scratch:

But he is already here.

JB98
03-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Apparently, both pitchers are flying to Oklahoma City with the team. No final decision coming today.

LoveYourSuit
03-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Apparently, both pitchers are flying to Oklahoma City with the team. No final decision coming today.

:scratch:

After facing 24 batters today, I highly doubt Masset has anything left before opening day..... what are they waiting for?

JB98
03-27-2008, 07:50 PM

After facing 24 batters today, I highly doubt Masset has anything left before opening day..... what are they waiting for?

Perhaps they are trying to make a trade.

It's Dankerific
03-27-2008, 07:54 PM

Giving him some final frequent flyer miles??

Lip Man 1
03-27-2008, 07:56 PM
According to an entry I read because of Wassmann's dental surgery they are now going to wait until Saturday.

I agree though, what are they waiting for?

Lip

Lip Man 1
03-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Comcast SportsNite just had a soundbite on with Don Cooper and he said "that right now I'm leaning towards Wassermann..."

We'll see.

I still say it should be Wassermann and Carrasco over Logan and Masset.

Lip

TheOldRoman
03-27-2008, 09:19 PM
I think some dumbass GM will claim him thinking that their pitching coach can turn him around despite all the evidence says he sucks.ZOMG! That would be SOOO dumb! I mean, to get a player that has lots of potential, give up nothing for him, and pay him league minimum. Those are the type of moves that get GMs fired.:rolleyes:

rainbow6
03-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but has Mike MacDougal made this team?

cws05champ
03-27-2008, 11:12 PM
ZOMG! That would be SOOO dumb! I mean, to get a player that has lots of potential, give up nothing for him, and pay him league minimum. Those are the type of moves that get GMs fired.:rolleyes:
I can see the Marlins taking a flier on him for league minimum....of course they may say " You want $300K to play for us....hit the road pal".

Tragg
03-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Perhaps they are trying to make a trade.
That's why it's such a shame. There are several trades for Masett types this time of year; but not when the pitch like he did.

JB98
03-27-2008, 11:25 PM
That's why it's such a shame. There are several trades for Masett types this time of year; but not when the pitch like he did.

They could be trying to trade someone like MacDougal, which would clear the way for both Masset and Wasserman to make the roster.

Sargeant79
03-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Hopefully he sneaks through waivers and remains in the Sox minor league system. He may not be good right now, but he's still young and may turn out to be a mjor leaguer some day.

I don't think he'll make it through wavers. He has a live arm, although he doesn't really seem to know how to pitch and he tends to give up runs in bunches. Someone will agree with your hope that he may turn out decent eventually...I predict he is claimed and then traded.

Frontman
03-28-2008, 12:41 AM
I like Wasserman as he's got some "Nintendo stuff."

:wink:

LoveYourSuit
03-28-2008, 12:58 AM
They could be trying to trade someone like MacDougal, which would clear the way for both Masset and Wasserman to make the roster.

Picking the tallest of the two midgets..... give me McDougal beleive it or not.

BadBobbyJenks
03-28-2008, 03:31 AM
Well he struck out Chris B Young to start the game and got spread all over the yard after that. Masset sucks, adios.

russ99
03-28-2008, 07:40 AM
Picking the tallest of the two midgets..... give me McDougal beleive it or not.

Believe it or not, MacDougal hasn't been too awful this spring: 9.2 IP, 8h 6bb 9K 4.66 ERA

Better than Dotel, Thornton, Logan and Masset, and he's the most tradeable reliever on the team with his inexpensive contract for 2 more years. I think moving him out of setup will revitalize his career.

Wassermann looks sharp and should get the nod. Since we're going with 12 pitchers, do we really need a long man, especially if Masset can't get guys out? Wassermann can go 2, Logan 1 and then we're into the middle innings.

Bucky F. Dent
03-28-2008, 08:20 AM
"Nick, coach want's to see you. Bring your playbook."
:(:

Stoky44
03-28-2008, 09:01 AM
DEAD today... I think 'He gone!"

Carolina Kenny
03-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Wasserman has shown the ability to actuallly get hitters out.

Goodbye Mr. Massett.

EMachine10
03-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Please excuse my ignorance, but has Mike MacDougal made this team?

I believe so